Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

i assume urgent cares make a lot of money because a lot of people who go to them do not have insurance (or have inadequate insurance) and they charge huge markups on everything.

a single blood sugar check ran $50, for example. lol

in that sense its the same as hospitals in that the un/under-insured go to both places for care and get boned. The more common thing in urgent cares is that the patient has insurance that would cover things at an ER, but the specific urgent care is not in network.

all the same price gouging that happens in hospitals also happens in urgent cares cause the patient doesnt have a choice but to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
healthcare fee for service is a massive fuckin scam

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pre-pandemic you could figure on around 7700 deaths a day with a population of 330m or so.

Extrapolating from that we're at, at most, 1.3m deaths from covid.

It's real bad, but there's no use in exaggerating.

The stuff I do is all built around monitoring member population health and none of the standards bodies are looking at anything related to covid at all. it might as well not even exist in healthcare quality spaces. lol

if CMS punished healthcare providers for excess covid deaths they'd start caring, but that would require CMS to be something other than a money firehose

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we need to switch entirely to capitated payment, but its never gonna happen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was on a call w/ VA people sponsored by NCQA regarding controlling diabetes in veterans (some insane % of vets have diabetes), and their solution was some kind of detector vets stand on to make sure their feet aren't rotting off, that sends pictures via wifi to a provider who looks at them. you could just give them free insulin but instead they want to do all this stupid poo poo.

insulin is boring and played out. a scale with a camera attached means federal fee extraction and job creation via medical device approvals.

the idea of monitoring patients more regularly in order to prevent problems has been around forever. When i started it was called Disease Management. A few years ago it was called Chronic Care Management. In all cases it was a good idea, but horribly hamstring by fee for service. If you only get paid per service provided, you dont provide long term services like CCM because they dont make you money. you let the diabetic wait until their feet need to be amputated and then you bill medicare for the surgery.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have not had covid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dijkstracula posted:

the only thing I learned from going to confs is that the point of them is for coastal techies to fly somewhere in the middle and drink with other coastal techies on their company's dime

I was waiting in line at a coffee shop nowhere near the conference on my last day at strangeloop one year, and someone came up to me and said "you look like someone I can complain to about yaml" and just started talking at me, and at that moment I vowed to never attend one again

why did you make yaml so bad if you dont want people complaining to you about it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Richard Evans said today in a press conference,

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
HR wants to remind everyone that the CEO bought these buildings so we can all use them, so we really need everyone to come into the office!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
:thejoke:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cloks posted:

he talked about how we now had to go through security screenings and stuff like that

he asked for examples and I suggested "the other 9/11, Benghazi"

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hell yeah welcome to flavor town

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I gotta say I quite like it, and the process of making one is kind of a nice break compared to fetching another can from the fridge and shuffling back to my desk

the ritual of the coffee is a big part of it and you'll find yourself getting better gear just to make it more enjoyable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Oh yeah definitely get an open bottom porta filter and then probably a better basket. What machine do you have?

I have a gaggia classic pro. Which came with pressurized and normal, non-pressurized baskets. Throw away the pressurized and then eventually get a nicer normal basket like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6GN92RD

I also recently got this auto leveling tamper which i like
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BTLP4P1

I also bought a spring kit which reduces the pressure from like 12 or 13 bar to 9 bar.

if you dont have a decent grinder that should be your first purchase.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that one has a 54mm portafilter so keep that in mind when buying stuff for it as 58mm is common with other machines, the grinder on there should be good enough, but yeah it makes it harder to dial in weight. a scale will help with that and if you arent frequently changing beans you can set it and forget it once its dialed in.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sink florida into the ocean imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i havent had covid yet afaik. might try to get some this weekend