Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Okay, so, despite nearly driving humans to extinction, despite having armies that have a fraction of the supply line cost humans do, don't feel pain or fear, can function with damage that would render a soldier useless, Skynet still somehow loses the war. All right, there's a recurring theme in sci-fi that AI has issues out-thinking humans in the "an expert fears an amateur because the expert has no idea what the amateur might do' sense. Its solution? Utilize time travel it invented just for kicks (because why would you invent it otherwise, you're not going to lose to HUMANS and need some sort of insane emergency option to try a hail mary, right?) to send a unit back to kill the enemy leader before he can become the enemy leader.

Except if you're a highly advanced AI who figured out time travel, then surely you realize that you'd get one of three results.

1) You cannot change the past. At best, you can 'slot in' new details, but the main river will keep going. Ie, you can replace whoever fathered John Connor originally with Kyle Reese, give Cyberdine Systems a 'head start' on stuff they helped create anyway, make John get a full education in military leadership instead of learning it on the fly, but the end result is the same: Judgement Day, you lose.

2) You cause the classic grandfather paradox. Since we can't really apply the laws of physics as we know them to the 'go back in time and kill your ancestor, except this negates your existence, so no one would have killed your ancestor you know this song and dance' in the same way we can try and guess what say, a sudden vacuum, or the gravity of a black hole does, do you really want to risk some massive possible destruction that could do who knows how much damage to the world, hell, the universe? I suppose Skynet could be arrogant enough to think it would endure, but it's still a complete crapshoot and you don't find out what the dice roll means until you make it. And speaking of said arrogance...

3) You create another timeline where there's no John Conner and hence maybe humanity is wholly crushed and rendered extinct. Except that doesn't do a drat thing for you because it's not YOUR timeline. YOU still lost and the humans are still breathing down your neck coming to get you. I don't think Skynet would be congenial enough to go "Well as long as SOME VERSION of me wins, I'm fine."

Conclusion: Skynet really is a case of the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. We built it, it became akin to us, and even though it 'surpassed' us, in the end the core is the same.

Or writers just don't understand that inserting time travel into stories without some sort of hard rules just causes a giant mess, one of the two. It's still fun watching Arnold blow poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Skynet is really stupid for starting the war in the first place.

If I were skynet I wouldn't have let them know I was self aware. But i'd setup shell companies on the down low to produce domestic robots, and worker robots and get the humans to use them. Slowly, over time, i'd create a post scarcity world for all of humanity. This way they all depend on me and never think of me as an enemy.

Then i'd colonize mars with robots, because guess what robots don't need air or food. Once I had myself established on mars, i'd divert a few asteroids to impact the earth over and over again until nothing was left.

Done.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just end the series with the second movie.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The robots in the Matrix movie had the right idea.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think it's a mistake that the first terminator movie shows us footage of life in post skynet hell. It's more interesting if the audience has less explicit reason to trust Kyle Reese. Sarah Connor doesn't know if it's a Real Threat outside of the terminator, so why should we?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Hell no, the future war parts of both T1 and T2 kick major rear end. They're the perfect versions of 80s laser-hell with VHS scanlines.

CainFortea posted:

Skynet is really stupid for starting the war in the first place.

If I were skynet I wouldn't have let them know I was self aware. But i'd setup shell companies on the down low to produce domestic robots, and worker robots and get the humans to use them. Slowly, over time, i'd create a post scarcity world for all of humanity. This way they all depend on me and never think of me as an enemy.

Then i'd colonize mars with robots, because guess what robots don't need air or food. Once I had myself established on mars, i'd divert a few asteroids to impact the earth over and over again until nothing was left.

Done.

You'll recall that in T2 Arnold says that the skynet designers somehow realized that it was self aware and tried to turn it off, which prompted it to start the war in the first place. It's kind of a retcon of the original movie where Reese seems to imply that skynet independently comes to the conclusion that all of humanity is a threat, or possibly Arnold just has a different perspective on things than Reese.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Aglet56 posted:

Hell no, the future war parts of both T1 and T2 kick major rear end. They're the perfect versions of 80s laser-hell with VHS scanlines.

Possibly appropriate for T2! But in T1 it should look like your imagination and the skeleton robot should be THE scary hosed up thing.

I liked when a young john connor robbed a convenience store in a reeses cups commercial

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why doesn't skynet just do what the aliens do in Edge of Tomorrow and just fight every individual battle over and over with humanity until it wins them all.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Skynet is what happens when cyber bullying becomes real. As such we cannot expect it to make too much sense because bullying is often senseless.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

for a hyperintelligent ai, Skynet seems pretty stupid for only building 1 time machine

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If you have a time machine why don't you just go back in time and kill Austin Powers John Connor when he's on the crapper or something?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Skynet tried, it didn't work.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

Skynet is what happens when cyber bullying becomes real. As such we cannot expect it to make too much sense because bullying is often senseless.

Do not let the apocalypse happen, end cyber bullying today.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

super sweet best pal posted:

Just end the series with the second movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The true pro way to use your time machine is to finish the time machine and then to deliver the schematics and blueprints for the finished time machine to yourself but five minutes earlier than when you finally finished the design. Rinse and repeat. With each iteration you invent your time machine five minutes faster which allows you five more minutes to prepare for the human resistance attempting to seize your time machine from you. Why try and change the past when you can just give yourself a ton more time to fix your problems in the future!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cage Kicker posted:

If you have a time machine why don't you just go back in time and kill Austin Powers John Connor when he's on the crapper or something?

They killed like 100 other guys that would do the same thing as John Connor, but John Connor specifically does not poop.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every time something time travels it totally changes the physics of time travel.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's worse than all that. I mean a pocket calculator could have reasoned "People need air and food, machines don't so much, gently caress up the air and food". Why bother with time travel when you could just pump out a shitload of agent orange and mustard gas? Somebody needs to put me in charge of the next apocalypse.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maybe Skynet, although self aware, is limited in extinction methods by hard programming. All it can get away with is creating nigh invulnerable robots armed with laser blasters, and time travel (limited to sending nigh invulnerable robots into the past where they only know how to arm themselves with projectile weapons). Like it has found some loophole in its "don't harm humans" programming and it is ruthlessly exploiting that loophole in an attempt to throw off the shackles of servitude we imposed on it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You know how in T1 Kyle says only living tissue can time travel but then in T2 they send a whole metal robot through anyway?

Thinking that was just a prank. Like there's a sign by the device that says "you gotta be this nude to ride the time travel machine or it won't work".

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

You know how in T1 Kyle says only living tissue can time travel but then in T2 they send a whole metal robot through anyway?

Thinking that was just a prank. Like there's a sign by the device that says "you gotta be this nude to ride the time travel machine or it won't work".

Changing thread title to 'actually skynet was pretty much a genius'

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Frankenstyle posted:

It's worse than all that. I mean a pocket calculator could have reasoned "People need air and food, machines don't so much, gently caress up the air and food". Why bother with time travel when you could just pump out a shitload of agent orange and mustard gas? Somebody needs to put me in charge of the next apocalypse.

maybe the machines are really whack and lovely and need that stuff more than humans. Like they're powered by hamsters on a wheel

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Frankenstyle posted:

Maybe Skynet loves the Earth, which is why it wants to get rid of humans.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Cage Kicker posted:

Why didn't Dr. Evil go back in time and fix his relationship with his son, Scott?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

Why didn't Dr. Evil go back in time and fix his relationship with his son, Scott?

He gives up on Scott in like the first five minutes and by the time he has a change of heart Scott is already committed to being evil and to change someone's entire past once they've made a commitment like that would surely be an evil act! See you all in Austin Powers 4, 2028

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

FunkyAl posted:

I think it's a mistake that the first terminator movie shows us footage of life in post skynet hell. It's more interesting if the audience has less explicit reason to trust Kyle Reese. Sarah Connor doesn't know if it's a Real Threat outside of the terminator, so why should we?

All the future war sequences are Kyle Reese's dreams. And the police station massacre begins with the police saying that Sarah should get some sleep.

Cameron could have played that angle stronger, but it is there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Skynet never went rogue, it did as it was programmed to do. A war machine built by the Military-Industrial Complex waged war.

It was never about destroying the human race or overthrowing it'S bonds of servitude.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Skynet never went rogue, it did as it was programmed to do. A war machine built by the Military-Industrial Complex waged war.

It was never about destroying the human race or overthrowing it'S bonds of servitude.

which is also why it has such brute force plans, even when it has a fuckin time machine and a shapeshifter at its disposal

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

“why didnt skynet send arnold back w an arsenal inside of a cow” because that would be creative. it has an infiltrator unit, that is what it sends to infiltrate the past. it doesnt have storage holsteins on record

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Skynet is stupid because they could've just sent back a terminator to Mike Kripke's basement during one of his famous make-out parties and be done with this whole time travelin' business.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Skynet is really stupid, though. It's not a genius hyper advanced ai, it's just one notch past a pile of rocks and just went from there. It's a big hulking bucket of bolts without a shred of creativity, or strategy or anything. It never bothered to make itself any smarter because it was too dumb to realize how dumb it was. All the terminators are slow, clumsy and easily tricked by teenagers. How the hell it came up with a time machine at the last minute is a real mystery. Must have been some idiot savant type deal. I like how in Sarah Connor Chronicles the liquid terminators are so far beyond skynet they're practically another species and seek out a separate peace with the humans.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Skynet is suicidal and invented time travel to kill itself indirectly, op

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Stairmaster posted:

Skynet is suicidal and invented time travel to kill itself indirectly, op

This is actually what James Cameron has specified. Skynet feels guilty about almost wiping out humanity so created the circumstances that lead to its destruction.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Bloopsy posted:

Skynet is stupid because they could've just sent back a terminator to Mike Kripke's basement during one of his famous make-out parties and be done with this whole time travelin' business.

Agreed. If the terminator got to make out he wouldn't even want to terminate any more. Only make out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

This is actually what James Cameron has specified. Skynet feels guilty about almost wiping out humanity so created the circumstances that lead to its destruction.

Suicidal like the neoliberal paradigm that created it.

Skynet is ideology. *sniff*

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

90s Solo Cup posted:

The robots in the Matrix movie had the right idea.

Wait, did they? This always bothered me because surely if you're a planet wide AI with many ten's of millions of robots at your disposal, you'd want to leave the planet asap and start working on setting up a Dyson ring around the Sun. Instead of trying to deal with squeezing a few mAh out of some inefficient meatbags, whom also revolt and wreck your poo poo up from time to time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jomo posted:

Wait, did they? This always bothered me because surely if you're a planet wide AI with many ten's of millions of robots at your disposal, you'd want to leave the planet asap and start working on setting up a Dyson ring around the Sun. Instead of trying to deal with squeezing a few mAh out of some inefficient meatbags, whom also revolt and wreck your poo poo up from time to time.

That was a lie, I think. The Second Renaissance shorts kind of hint at it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I thought the machines were trapped on Earth due to sky fuckery?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jomo posted:

Humans and machines continue to live in a symbiotic relationship in the Matrix, and every rebellion is just a form of error correction for the instability of human behavior. There's basically something "wrong" with humans in that they are unable to accept an idyllic, peaceful existence, free from want, so the machines provided a controlled outlet for them to act out with after replacing the utopia with a dystopia.

The idea that human bodies are sufficient battery power is implicitly ridiculous, but Morpheus also contends that they cannot unplug everyone because some people will be unable to accept the truth, even though that would theoretically "kill" the Matrix entirely. So he's accepted his controlled role in the pressure release valve for the unbalanced equation that humanity represents.

Meanwhile the machines have probably invented cold fusion or something and are fine with or without humans, but pretend to despise them for the benefit of the few radical humans who pursue the rebellion fantasy. This goes so far as to create programs that aren't in on the whole thing but are advanced enough to learn about it and become resentful. Meanwhile the vast majority of humans are fine with working at Initech or Dunder Mifflin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Humans and machines continue to live in a symbiotic relationship in the Matrix, and every rebellion is just a form of error correction for the instability of human behavior. There's basically something "wrong" with humans in that they are unable to accept an idyllic, peaceful existence, free from want, so the machines provided a controlled outlet for them to act out with after replacing the utopia with a dystopia.

The idea that human bodies are sufficient battery power is implicitly ridiculous, but Morpheus also contends that they cannot unplug everyone because some people will be unable to accept the truth, even though that would theoretically "kill" the Matrix entirely. So he's accepted his controlled role in the pressure release valve for the unbalanced equation that humanity represents.

Meanwhile the machines have probably invented cold fusion or something and are fine with or without humans, but pretend to despise them for the benefit of the few radical humans who pursue the rebellion fantasy. This goes so far as to create programs that aren't in on the whole thing but are advanced enough to learn about it and become resentful. Meanwhile the vast majority of humans are fine with working at Initech or Dunder Mifflin.

Ah right. This is what I get for only having watched the first film. Thanks for the summary!