Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Squizzle posted:

storage holsteins

Still laughing at this hilarious concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Humans and machines continue to live in a symbiotic relationship in the Matrix, and every rebellion is just a form of error correction for the instability of human behavior. There's basically something "wrong" with humans in that they are unable to accept an idyllic, peaceful existence, free from want, so the machines provided a controlled outlet for them to act out with after replacing the utopia with a dystopia.

The idea that human bodies are sufficient battery power is implicitly ridiculous, but Morpheus also contends that they cannot unplug everyone because some people will be unable to accept the truth, even though that would theoretically "kill" the Matrix entirely. So he's accepted his controlled role in the pressure release valve for the unbalanced equation that humanity represents.

Meanwhile the machines have probably invented cold fusion or something and are fine with or without humans, but pretend to despise them for the benefit of the few radical humans who pursue the rebellion fantasy. This goes so far as to create programs that aren't in on the whole thing but are advanced enough to learn about it and become resentful. Meanwhile the vast majority of humans are fine with working at Initech or Dunder Mifflin.

the architect lays it out fairly plainly: the machines tried to make a paradise first. they want humans to be happy. but humanity rejected the paradise, so in the next effort, they tried to fit the simulation to match humanity as closely as the machines could discern it: chaotic, imperfect, grotesque. but humanity still wasnt happy, didnt accept a world overfit to them. so the machines, via the oracle, realized that humanity needed choice. the architect speaks of a flaw, an anomaly, and a problem. its easy to assume those are both the same thing, but im not sure

as this speech is happening, the architect is surrounded by screens showing possible reactions neo might have, in real time. the machines have spent a great deal of time trying to understand human nature, and our character. they spent generations trying to mold neos eventual personality, like robot bene gesserit. remember, all of this started because the machines wanted to create the circumstances for every person to be happy—they have dedicated all the ages since that to understanding humanity better. they are trying to create a world in which humans can become better and rise to the happiness that the machines want humans to have. the simulation is a world to teach us how to become better, until we have chosen the perfection the machines tried to impose

so the architect tells neo what neo has to do. he lays out the consequences if neo doesnt do it. he tells neo that every other One has done it. he tells neo that there are “lvls of survival [the machines] are prepared to accept”. he tells neo, w/o any lie, that trinity absolutely positively will die and neo cannot stop that. but everyone dies eventually, and neo will not give up now just because of that

neo does the thing he needs to do: he lets love guide him instead of fear, and he makes a choice instead of falling for the architects framing that there is no choice to make. he does what the machines have been trying to push humanity to do this entire time

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jomo posted:

Ah right. This is what I get for only having watched the first film. Thanks for the summary!

Matrix 1 is basically the perfect action film, and the other two are the really dry advanced reading courses about it.

E: A bit of conjecture is in there WRT how well machines get along without sunlight, but the Architect straight-up says they can if need be at one point, though it's probably a lot like Windows Safe Mode.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 29, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thats right, cspam readers: i never stop posting about my dude origen, i just hide it better sometimes

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think if the machines took over in real life, they'd run out of hard drive space very quickly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i think the whole skynet time travel thing is supposed to be that one last throw of the dice to save itself. it doesnt know how it will turn out because by the time, the various terminators(i'll say the first 3 are canon) are through the time machine, skynet is dead. i think it just calculated a bunch of outcomes and hoped for the best.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the whole skynet time travel thing is supposed to be that one last throw of the dice to save itself. it doesnt know how it will turn out because by the time, the various terminators(i'll say the first 3 are canon) are through the time machine, skynet is dead. i think it just calculated a bunch of outcomes and hoped for the best.

If we go with the "skynet is trying to undo its destruction of humanity" theory, it's essentially attempting to create a new reality where it didn't happen, is much less likely to happen, or will face more resistance when it does happen.

However a much better outcome would be to work with humans in its timeline to achieve this, not keep pretending it wants to destroy them. Anyway none of the movies approach it from this direction.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Squizzle posted:

the architect lays it out fairly plainly: the machines tried to make a paradise first. they want humans to be happy. but humanity rejected the paradise, so in the next effort, they tried to fit the simulation to match humanity as closely as the machines could discern it: chaotic, imperfect, grotesque. but humanity still wasnt happy, didnt accept a world overfit to them. so the machines, via the oracle, realized that humanity needed choice. the architect speaks of a flaw, an anomaly, and a problem. its easy to assume those are both the same thing, but im not sure

as this speech is happening, the architect is surrounded by screens showing possible reactions neo might have, in real time. the machines have spent a great deal of time trying to understand human nature, and our character. they spent generations trying to mold neos eventual personality, like robot bene gesserit. remember, all of this started because the machines wanted to create the circumstances for every person to be happy—they have dedicated all the ages since that to understanding humanity better. they are trying to create a world in which humans can become better and rise to the happiness that the machines want humans to have. the simulation is a world to teach us how to become better, until we have chosen the perfection the machines tried to impose

so the architect tells neo what neo has to do. he lays out the consequences if neo doesnt do it. he tells neo that every other One has done it. he tells neo that there are “lvls of survival [the machines] are prepared to accept”. he tells neo, w/o any lie, that trinity absolutely positively will die and neo cannot stop that. but everyone dies eventually, and neo will not give up now just because of that

neo does the thing he needs to do: he lets love guide him instead of fear, and he makes a choice instead of falling for the architects framing that there is no choice to make. he does what the machines have been trying to push humanity to do this entire time

I think that humans would be happier if they were let out of the tanks and no longer were fed ground up human slurry but hell, I'm no sociologist. I bet together the humans and the robots could figure out how to fix the hosed up sky and then they could grow grass and eat cow-steaks again, together.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

reignofevil posted:

I think that humans would be happier if they were let out of the tanks and no longer were fed ground up human slurry but hell, I'm no sociologist. I bet together the humans and the robots could figure out how to fix the hosed up sky and then they could grow grass and eat cow-steaks again, together.

"You're now all the robots' babies" is essentially the compromise solution to humans burning the surface world to an uninhabitable cinder in order to destroy the robots.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
THIS STEAK IS SAVORY AND DELICIOUS

"You're god drat right it is matrix-bots. You're god drat right it is."

*human scum and killer squidbot nestle in close on a hilltop and watch the sunset, unobstructed for the first time in hundreds of years*

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You know, burning the surface of the Earth, the thing humans live off of, to kill the robots, who don't live off of that thing, doesn't seem like a very good idea in hindsight.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mooey Cow posted:

You know, burning the surface of the Earth, the thing humans live off of, to kill the robots, who don't live off of that thing, doesn't seem like a very good idea in hindsight.

I could see Trump doing it

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I just realized that all of the last three Terminator movies have been intended to be the first movie in a trilogy that was canceled because the film bombed. They've made an entire trilogy's worth of aborted trilogies.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The terminator franchise is the drunk guy in the corner of a bar who just randomly started telling everyone a story while plastered and it had some good stuff right up until the last shot of fireball hit his brain and now he's just halfheartedly mumbling some of the good bits to himself as he lay passed out.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's up to us to finish the trilogies now.

Terminator Salvation 2: Terminator Redemption
John Connor's new heart is working very well but is also giving him mixed feelings towards robots. Is it possible for man and robot to love one another?

Terminator Salvation 3: Terminator Salutation
John Connor and Skynet has a baby together.

Terminator Genisys 2: Terminator Psychosys
His new-found power of being both a Terminator and T-1000 proves too taxing and the Terminator has a mental breakdown.

Terminator Genisys 3: Terminator Cirrhosys
The Terminator has to do one last job: Terminate the president of the world. But has his decades of drinking jet fuel taken too big a toll on his robot liver???

Terminator Dark Fate 2: Terminator Grim Doom
The new Skynet sends another new Terminator back in time and Sarah Connor is also there.

Terminator Dark Fate 3: Dino-Terminator
Skynet sends the terminator way back in time on accident. Or was it???

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The only good successor to T2 was the tv show, and it might be a mercy that it died young, because it definitely wasn’t going to get the budget to show anything promised by the cliffhanger ending

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Salvation was the most wishful thinking for the starting point of a trilogy. I mean, they couldn't figure out what the plot of the one movie should be, let alone two sequels!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mods plz change the name of the bookmarks page to “thread storage holstein”

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Emrikol posted:

Salvation was the most wishful thinking for the starting point of a trilogy. I mean, they couldn't figure out what the plot of the one movie should be, let alone two sequels!

The movie didn't need two leads competing for time and certainly didn't benefit from them.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

a naked man and his big beef bags full of tactical weaponry

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Emrikol posted:

Even if that movie had a good plot and a good cast, which it definitely didn't, I would still hate it for looking like a generic Mad Max ripoff movie instead of the loving Terminator bad future, the most iconic loving thing about the entire franchise next to the robot itself.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The movie didn't need two leads competing for time and certainly didn't benefit from them.

Especially when one of them is Sam Worthington, the boringest man alive.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Even if that movie had a good plot and a good cast, which it definitely didn't, I would still hate it for looking like a generic Mad Max ripoff movie instead of the loving Terminator bad future, the most iconic loving thing about the entire franchise next to the robot itself.

Especially when one of them is Sam Worthington, the boringest man alive.

I guess problem #1 is that in order to get Christian Bale to sign on and get those Batman halo effect dollars, they gave him control of the script, which he naturally used to vastly expand the Connor character (he wasn't going to play a cameo after all) until the movie is about both him and Roboworthington.

The movie would have been fine enough even it it was the derivative, so-so Worthington plotline. The Force Awakens pretty much proves that. Unfortunately, the third act in particular is a mess and it's clear, particularly from the point Kyle is kidnapped, that they had no idea what to do. So you get this movie where no attention to detail is paid to the setting or what fans are really looking for in terms of visuals or respect for previous material, in exchange for a laborious sequence where a terminator throws Christian Bale around a boiler room while Sam Worthington re-does the Apple commercial.

The final product is a mess, although it gave us the hilarious "Terry Crews cameos as a dead guy" moment. There's some ideas with potential, like aquatic terminators, and there's ideas like bike terminators, which are really hard to pull off as anything other than silly, though they certainly try. There's PG-13 Holocaust imagery, because this is in that long period where conventional wisdom was that R-rated movies wouldn't market well, even though all anyone really wants to see is someone get their heart pulled out of their chest.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Mooey Cow posted:

Humans didn't burn the surface, they smogged the whole sky to deny Robots photo-synthe-robotisis, or something weird like that. Robots had already evolved to not need it.

The Matrix cartoons are weird.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Humans didn't burn the surface, they smogged the whole sky to deny Robots photo-synthe-robotisis, or something weird like that. Robots had already evolved to not need it.

The Matrix cartoons are weird.

almost as if humanity has no fuckin clue what it wants or needs and so require a world structured to give them lessons and choices so they can achieve the gnosis to understand themselves and their relationship to reality, in stages as needed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I guess problem #1 is that in order to get Christian Bale to sign on and get those Batman halo effect dollars, they gave him control of the script, which he naturally used to vastly expand the Connor character (he wasn't going to play a cameo after all) until the movie is about both him and Roboworthington.

The movie would have been fine enough even it it was the derivative, so-so Worthington plotline. The Force Awakens pretty much proves that. Unfortunately, the third act in particular is a mess and it's clear, particularly from the point Kyle is kidnapped, that they had no idea what to do. So you get this movie where no attention to detail is paid to the setting or what fans are really looking for in terms of visuals or respect for previous material, in exchange for a laborious sequence where a terminator throws Christian Bale around a boiler room while Sam Worthington re-does the Apple commercial.

The final product is a mess, although it gave us the hilarious "Terry Crews cameos as a dead guy" moment. There's some ideas with potential, like aquatic terminators, and there's ideas like bike terminators, which are really hard to pull off as anything other than silly, though they certainly try. There's PG-13 Holocaust imagery, because this is in that long period where conventional wisdom was that R-rated movies wouldn't market well, even though all anyone really wants to see is someone get their heart pulled out of their chest.

The original script was so much worse, Bale getting all control freak is not even in the movie's top 10 problems. But it does result in the film having two protagonists with weak character arcs. If you cut out everything about Sam Worthington's character and hired another director, you could've made a good movie out of Connor finally becoming the legendary leader he's burdened with the destiny of becoming. But intercutting that with stupid "Can a robot... feel???? Can we trust... a terminator????" poo poo that was thoroughly covered in the last two films completely deflates that.

At least they cut out the painfully idiotic subplot that skynet had rich people cooperating with it. It's already a metaphor for the inhumanity of the military-industrial complex, you don't need to add Land of the Dead-level unsubtle class commentary to it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Christian Bale

I knew that movie was going to be poo poo from the get-go because early on a Terminator got it's hands on him and, instead of killing him, it dramatically tossed him away so that Bale could overcome the odds and win the fight. In the first two films the Terminators go straight for the kill and it wouldn't make a lick of sense if they didn't. Every movie after that featured Terminators as bumbling fools.

The last entry in the Terminator canon that made any sense at all was Terminator: The 3D Experience at Universal Studios. It had the T-1,000,000 which was a big silly liquid metal spider thing but at least it was trying to just straight-up kill the audience. Also in the gift shop they had Cyberdine Systems branded courier bags but my parents wouldn't shell out for one.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 5, 2020