Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zghC6UgcV4

Nah, gently caress it. Not even searching for the special edition song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Agreedo.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Imagine watching ROTJ and being like "ya know what'll really make the han rescue resonate with people? A cgi booty dance alien!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yes, but have you considered that the original song sounds dated? The horror! :gonk:

That was the actual excuse they gave in the making-of materials for the 1997 special edition. They said it was too dated and had to be modernized, and the scene also wasn't polished enough in their opinion. They particularly disliked the original Sy Snootles puppet, which does look pretty janky but holds up a hell of a lot better than that 90s CGI monstrosity. Did they ever try to modernize that in the later releases?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The idea in the 90s that if you have a CG character, you have to shove its mouth right in the viewer's face, sure was something. Jedi Rocks does it twice.

Brad Pitt
Nov 7, 2009

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::regd09:
The original Yub Nub ending was also vastly superior.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Wrong, it sucks.

Brad Pitt
Nov 7, 2009

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::regd09:
Ok, you're right

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Lapti Nek is indeed better than Jedi Rocks.

Brad Pitt posted:

Ok, you're right

No he's not.

Yub Nub or whatever it's actually called is a wonderful tune, and if they absolutely could not accept having an Ewok-sung celebration music all they had to do was fade it into a more symphonic instrumental version. I can never even remember how the new tune they replaced it with goes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lapti Nek shows that Jabba's having a party, with the implication that he's usually having a party. Jedi Rocks is a full musical number in the middle of an action/fantasy movie. Why???

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Being one of Jabba's hangers on is probably a pretty sweet gig unless you get rancor'd, thinking about it. Just an endless party.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm shaping up and workin out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd4Gwe6EYaU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jedi Rocks is in the top ten of things that suck the most poo poo. I can't even watch it. Lapti Nek owns

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doc M posted:

Yes, but have you considered that the original song sounds dated? The horror! :gonk:

That was the actual excuse they gave in the making-of materials for the 1997 special edition. They said it was too dated and had to be modernized, and the scene also wasn't polished enough in their opinion. They particularly disliked the original Sy Snootles puppet, which does look pretty janky but holds up a hell of a lot better than that 90s CGI monstrosity. Did they ever try to modernize that in the later releases?

idk i feel like being dated would make even more sense? like of course a big old gangster like Jabba isn't going to be hip to the newest beats.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Yub Nub or whatever it's actually called is a wonderful tune, and if they absolutely could not accept having an Ewok-sung celebration music all they had to do was fade it into a more symphonic instrumental version. I can never even remember how the new tune they replaced it with goes.

the funny thing is that i feel like Yub Nub makes more sense in the sequel context, where this is just a temporary (but still major!) victory and there's still more war to fight

the tune they replaced it with gives the feeling of "we did it, we loving defeated the empire! the emperor is dead! good ending!" which to be fair made more sense before the sequels came along and said no actually in the far-flung future past there is nothing but war and oh btw the emperor is an immortal sith lich

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Lapti Nek shows that Jabba's having a party, with the implication that he's usually having a party. Jedi Rocks is a full musical number in the middle of an action/fantasy movie. Why???

That's another part of it. Lapti Nek feels like it's happening in the scene and Jedi Rocks feels like it's for the audience.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

idk i feel like being dated would make even more sense? like of course a big old gangster like Jabba isn't going to be hip to the newest beats.

I say it's exactly the kind of sleazy dance music a gangster would play when he's got the dancing girls out on the floor.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jedi Rocks is a a throwback musical number much like the dance number in the beginning of Temple of Doom. I’m cool with it.

The real question is “Jedi Rocks” the official in-universe name of that song, and if so, why would you sing it in front of your boss who hates Jedi?

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyLDh_Ea3w

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Also "Galactic Dance Blast" is

A) a cool song, and
B) an even cooler title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SjPqG8hSo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Tomtrek posted:

A) a cool song, and
B) an even cooler title

This is my motherfucking jam

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

That's another part of it. Lapti Nek feels like it's happening in the scene and Jedi Rocks feels like it's for the audience.

Especially since the characters actually acknowledge the camera. It looks stupid.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lapti Nek is indeed better than Jedi Rocks.

No he's not.

The new one sounds like that dumb pan flute poo poo that was the rage in malls and flea markets at the time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh lapti nek (oh lapti nek)
oh lapti nek (oh lapti nek)
when jedi rocked (when jedi rocked)
he rocked my sins away (oh lapti nek)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tomtrek posted:

A) a cool song, and
B) an even cooler title

Yeah hell yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Interesting factoid I noticed as a young pervert. When jabba drops the green twi'lek lady into the rancor pit one of her tits pops out of her shirt.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tomtrek posted:

A) a cool song, and
B) an even cooler title

i loving love this comment from another video of this music:

"I never knew a song could so perfectly capture the feeling of seeing a car full of people smoking weed drive by."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brad Pitt posted:

The original Yub Nub ending was also vastly superior.

a thousand times no, easily the worst part of the entire OT

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Yub Nub was at least catchy and worked with the scene (as it was, I'll admit that it doesn't exactly gel with the SE's celebrations montage). The replacement New Age meditation music is just so forgettable and non-Williamsesque; it's not bad per se, just very average on its own merits and out of place in a Star Wars film besides that.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

a thousand times no, easily the worst part of the entire OT

“Yub Yub, Commander”

“I’m sorry, Janson, I don’t understand that reference anymore”

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sombrerotron posted:

Yub Nub was at least catchy and worked with the scene (as it was, I'll admit that it doesn't exactly gel with the SE's celebrations montage). The replacement New Age meditation music is just so forgettable and non-Williamsesque; it's not bad per se, just very average on its own merits and out of place in a Star Wars film besides that.

Completely the opposite imo, Yub Nub is embarrassing and I never liked it even before the SE. When I saw ROTJ SE in the theater I almost got chills up my spine, like this was how it should have been all along. I don't like some of the SE changes, but some of them really work and that's one of them. I will die on this hill.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Doc M posted:

Yes, but have you considered that the original song sounds dated? The horror irony! :gonk:

Yikes, I just listened to Jedi Rocks and, uh...yeah...yikes.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Hey so I kind of fell down a Lapti Nek hole and it turns out that Joseph Williams (John Williams' son/Member of Toto/Co-Writer of Lapti Nek) released a separate single version of Lapti Nek in 1983 under the name "Urth". It was different to the other version of Lapti Nek that was on the soundtrack and it also includes parts of John Willams' score and the Ewok celebration music????

It didn't do so well in the charts

Anyway it's weird so here it is Lapti Nek fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjoGADCswnI

Thank you

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the funny thing is that i feel like Yub Nub makes more sense in the sequel context, where this is just a temporary (but still major!) victory and there's still more war to fight

the tune they replaced it with gives the feeling of "we did it, we loving defeated the empire! the emperor is dead! good ending!" which to be fair made more sense before the sequels came along and said no actually in the far-flung future past there is nothing but war and oh btw the emperor is an immortal sith lich

I feel weird because I had to explain this very thing in another thread recently but the war did in fact end with Return of the Jedi and was followed by years of relative galactic peace. What we see in the sequels is an entirely new war, like how WWI and WWII are separate (if related) wars.

I think they need to add a note about this in TFA's opening crawl or something

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Tomtrek posted:

Hey so I kind of fell down a Lapti Nek hole and it turns out that Joseph Williams (John Williams' son/Member of Toto/Co-Writer of Lapti Nek) released a separate single version of Lapti Nek in 1983 under the name "Urth". It was different to the other version of Lapti Nek that was on the soundtrack and it also includes parts of John Willams' score and the Ewok celebration music????

It didn't do so well in the charts

Anyway it's weird so here it is Lapti Nek fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjoGADCswnI

Thank you

drat, this sounds a LOT like the Pointer Sisters' "Hot Together" song from Spaceballs: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_OM3xkmyA

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I feel weird because I had to explain this very thing in another thread recently but the war did in fact end with Return of the Jedi and was followed by years of relative galactic peace. What we see in the sequels is an entirely new war, like how WWI and WWII are separate (if related) wars.

I think they need to add a note about this in TFA's opening crawl or something

the post-sequel/current EU stuff says that there was definitely a bunch more fighting after Endor, and that the real final battle was a year after Endor, at Jakku (which is where all those downed Star Destroyers that Rey was scavenging came from)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I didn't remember what Lapti Nek even sounded like because it's been so long since I've seen the non-Special Edition of Jedi, but after watching it on YouTube I agree that it is the superior song. At least it's way less obtrusive than Jedi Rocks. However, I like the scenes of Oola in the Rancor pit and the more explicit tease of the Rancor that comes at the end of Jedi Rocks. So it's a mixed bag.

Also weird out of place CGI Sy Snootles is kind of ingrained in my childhood memory at this point.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Lapti Nek is a groove that vibes with the seedy atmosphere of Jabba's criminal underworld.

Jedi Rocks is a corny showtune that makes the scene look like a theme park show hosted by cast members undergoing the dregs of a 6 month Disney College Program.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Lapti Nek is cool as heck
Jedi Rocks eats old cum socks

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never really think of Lapti Nek as a song in itself, it's more just what's playing in the scene while other things are happening. It's kinda understated, it's background music while the audience takes in the whole menagerie of Jabba's palace and the struggles of the green girl.

Jedi Rocks is a song that stops everything so people can listen to it as opposed to paying attention to the rest of the movie, which would be fine if it was like a jukebox musical, but that's not the type of movie it is.

And then they added a beak to the pit of teeth for some reason, but didn't figure edit out the scenes of people falling directly into the hole (which did have a weird scaling issue) so you're left having to assume that there's some kind of separate beak-less sarlacc hole somewhere around the perimeter.

Why wasn't this enough?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Tomtrek posted:

A) a cool song, and
B) an even cooler title

this is for true jizz heads only