Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yo Dawgs, the economy is going to poo poo itself like Tubgirl tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/DavidInglesTV/status/1236779480238063616

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1236805377318150147

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1236786391415246855

To Summarize the past three hours:

- Oil is down 30%.
- S&P futures tripped their lower bound at 5% under Fridays close.
- Every market is dropping off a cliff.
- The US Bond market is flatlined.
- Airlines are down 45%.

Bonus:
There is no cargo in the ports of LA & Long Beach, the two largest ports in North America. :hmmyes:

This is a rapidly developing situation, I'll be up a wind turbine without cell reception and unable to update this OP as it all melts down tomorrow. :tipshat:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is Trugreen doing okay :ohdear:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Spanish flu, electric boogaloo? Check.
Great Depression, only more depressing? Check.
Does this mean we’re getting World War III in a decade :ohdear:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh no not my Saudi oil reserve investments and junk bonds. No financial analyst could have ever predicted this.. :boehner:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Ground floor of the last thread ever made

Hello far-future archaeologists

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I blame Obama

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
buy the dip

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've divested out of the market and am holding a stash of poo poo tickets and liquid soap

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I get all of my financial advice from hotdogprofits.com

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
drat at least I'm already unemployed I've never been more prepared

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is my fault, sorry.
I'm old enough to be at the stage in my life where I've been working and saving so long I finally got some investments and things going on a couple years back.
At that point this became inevitable.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
watch Wall Street start a war

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Desperate Character posted:

watch Wall Street start a war

They should fight poor people

owai-

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Wow. Stop Arzying.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
The oil price dropping further might have to do with complications between Saudi Arabia and Russia...
(Russia did not agree to cut their oil output, and Saudi Arabia decided to pump more in response to Russia's.... statement.)

Still, I never would have expected Brent Crude drop to $35...

I think the real question will be... is it time to go all-in on Hydrogen and CO2 sequestration?

It will be interesting to see what housing prices do...

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
"Ah shite! Me 30-year Treasury Bonds!!" - a guy (probably Euro??) with a lot of money tied up in 30-year Treasury Bonds

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Senor P. posted:

The oil price dropping further might have to do with complications between Saudi Arabia and Russia...
(Russia did not agree to cut their oil output, and Saudi Arabia decided to pump more in response to Russia's.... statement.)

Still, I never would have expected Brent Crude drop to $35...

I think the real question will be... is it time to go all-in on Hydrogen and CO2 sequestration?

It will be interesting to see what housing prices do...

I believe we call this a perfect shitstorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pcMn5bXbRU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Please post rich people meltdowns when it happens tia

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Great timing. My clients are just about to start drilling their oil shale plays.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Sometimes you play the oil shale, sometimes the oil shale plays you. It's a doggie dog world out here.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
what are bonds?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mega64 posted:

Please post rich people meltdowns when it happens tia

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I will drink cheap oil like victory wine

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

This may seem bad, but as long as you have stocked up on toilet paper and bottled water everything will be fine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Good: I've been stockpiling cash for the last 3 months instead of investing it.

Bad: My previous 20 years of investments. :cripes:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

human garbage bag posted:

what are bonds?

The things that tie us down and which we must shatter!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not a real meltdown until the self-defenestration starts.

Or the assisted defenestration, should the proletariat get around to rising up.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

what are bonds?

Basically, bonds are a... gurantee from a sovreign nation to pay....

Basically, if I'm the government and you gave me 50 dollars in 1980, then I would give you 100 dollars in the year 2000, or something like that....

What we are seeing are that bonds are basically returning extremely low interest.

The more that people buy, the lower the rates get. Also there is a general concern within the economic world of just where our economic growth is going to happen in the next 10-20-30 years.

To me it seems like it will be renewables and hydrogen products, rather than just pure unadulterated growth.

I am confident that if the first world really wants to, we can get to 0 emissions. But there will be sacrifices... (Air travel, tourism, brownouts perhaps...)

ELI PORTER posted:

Sometimes you play the oil shale, sometimes the oil shale plays you. It's a doggie dog world out here.
I think the real question will be... if we end up transitioning to Hydrogen+natural gas (it can be blended) then to pure Hydrogen, just who exactly is going to lead the world's economy. If Russia+Saudi Arabia is able to bankrupt the US shale gas producers. Then that leaves only one major supplier for China and the EU.

I expect they would transition their pipeline network to utilize Hydrogen. There is no way the U.S. can compete.

Hydrogen could be liquified and sent over the sea just like natural gas. But from what I understand (not a chemical engineer) the boil off and liquification is much more finicky compared to LNG.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 9, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am definitely prepared for this, I was just thinking recently I have lived a good life and it is fine if I am murdered by rampaging gangs of toilet paper ruffians

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

see this is why politicians don't care about climate change -- they knew all along that some new cold virus would come along first and reduce the civilized world to toilet paper marauders and rape gangs.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

extra row of teeth posted:

Does this mean we’re getting World War III in a decade :ohdear:

the war for water resources

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Senor P. posted:

Basically, bonds are a... gurantee from a sovreign nation to pay....

Basically, if I'm the government and you gave me 50 dollars in 1980, then I would give you 100 dollars in the year 2000, or something like that....

What we are seeing are that bonds are basically returning extremely low interest.

The more that people buy, the lower the rates get. Also there is a general concern within the economic world of just where our economic growth is going to happen in the next 10-20-30 years.

To me it seems like it will be renewables and hydrogen products, rather than just pure unadulterated growth.

I am confident that if the first world really wants to, we can get to 0 emissions. But there will be sacrifices... (Air travel, tourism, brownouts perhaps...)

I think the real question will be... if we end up transitioning to Hydrogen+natural gas (it can be blended) then to pure Hydrogen, just who exactly is going to lead the world's economy. If Russia+Saudi Arabia is able to bankrupt the US shale gas producers. Then that leaves only one major supplier for China and the EU.

I expect they would transition their pipeline network to utilize Hydrogen. There is no wa y the U.S. can compete.

Hydrogen could be liquified and sent over the sea just like natural gas. But from what I understand (not a chemical engineer) the boil off and liquification is much more finicky compared to LNG.

Are "brown outs" the killing of non-whites?
Cause i don't think you'll have much trouble convincing 1st world to do that.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Are "brown outs" the killing of non-whites?
Cause i don't think you'll have much trouble convincing 1st world to do that.
I was referring to an electrical brownout...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownout_(electricity)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's neither. It's when you drink so much that you lose bits and pieces of time, but not enough to make you black out completely. It's Always Sunny was very clear about that.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mozi posted:

buy the dip

Buy the fuckin dip!!! Maybe not right away though. This is the way

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Looks like it's a prime time to invest in bitcoin :smug:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

what are bonds?

Things your grandparents give you for your birthday instead of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
The oil crash doesn't have anything to do with the economic troubles, it's Saudi Arabia and Russia playing games with each other.