Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vakal posted:

Great if you can't afford it, sucks if you can.

Why does it suck if you can afford your own healthcare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Too recent?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Time_pants posted:

Too recent?

Nah, you just have a bad case of cspam brain and that is entertaining.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So are we getting another stimulus check or what?

The Final Seraph84
May 16, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vakal posted:

Great if you can't afford it, sucks if you can.
Chud spotted.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Lol American exceptionalism even causes people to believe they're the only bad hegemon in history

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

We’re numbah one, baybeeeee!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

LionArcher posted:

Honestly? Probably. When will it happen and how much it will be? No idea.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Canada handled this relief check problem quickly and efficiently, and it's not like they aren't also an oligarchal, corporatist hell-state that also hates its poor and minorities. Shameful

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I love that American Exceptionalism means that you can't do stuff that other countries handle with ease rather than being the only ones able to achieve things like landing on the moon.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Munin posted:

I love that American Exceptionalism means that you can't do stuff that other countries handle with ease rather than being the only ones able to achieve things like landing on the moon.

We only went to the moon because the Russians doing space stuff terrified our brave leaders, and we had a lot of Nazi help to get there. I’m starting to think that my country may not, in fact, be the best one ever.

naem
May 29, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

We only went to the moon because the Russians doing space stuff terrified our brave leaders, and we had a lot of Nazi help to get there. I’m starting to think that my country may not, in fact, be the best one ever.

we just hire the smart people from other places to make us look successful it’s a good system

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

naem posted:

we just hire the smart people from other places to make us look successful it’s a good system

Wait, wait, wait, the US is the NY Yankees of countries? This...this...I need to sit down.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, wait, wait, the US is the NY Yankees of countries? This...this...I need to sit down.

Oh come on. Our best and brightest are legacy Ivy League burnouts who have perfected outsourcing anything that requires real talent. Have your little fainting spell, but you knew the truth.

:thejoke:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah, we were all taught in school and brought up to believe America is the best...but get this (puts on cool shades and looks straight into camera)...we're not really that cool.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you have 90 seconds you should watch the opening scene of The Newsroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIpKfw17-yY

Oh wait is this not cspam

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Canada handled this relief check problem quickly and efficiently, and it's not like they aren't also an oligarchal, corporatist hell-state that also hates its poor and minorities. Shameful

Because they never bothered even taking 10 seconds to look at the applications before sending the money out to see if the people requesting it met the requirements.

It's going to lead to a poo poo show down the line since the CRA says they are going to take money paid out to fraudulent claimants from their regular social service payments like welfare/family allowance/GST etc.

I personally know several people that haven't worked in years that have been on a 24/7 booze and drug binge since they got their CERB cheques because "lol, free money!".

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Why does it suck if you can afford your own healthcare?

Because you don't have the option to expedite services even if you are willing to pay for it . Everyone gets put in the same queue.

I've had to wait 8 months for a MRI scan before. If I lived closer to the U.S. border I would have gladly went into a private hospital paid out of my own pocket to get it done immediately.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vakal posted:

Because you don't have the option to expedite services even if you are willing to pay for it . Everyone gets put in the same queue.

I've had to wait 8 months for a MRI scan before. If I lived closer to the U.S. border I would have gladly went into a private hospital paid out of my own pocket to get it done immediately.

Isn't 100% of canada within a 1 hour plane ride of the US border? Not to belittle you (too much) but if you really needed an MRI immediately wouldn't they have bumped you to the front of the queue

I'm planning on going to Hungary to get dental work done not because I'm rich but because I'm too poor to get it done here. Dental work round trip including air fare and hotel is half the cost if you're getting more than one tooth done.

We fly to Mexico to get prescriptions topped up at least once a year, in fact if you walk across the Mexican border south of San Diego it's literally the first half mile is just pharmacies

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vakal posted:

Because they never bothered even taking 10 seconds to look at the applications before sending the money out to see if the people requesting it met the requirements.

It's going to lead to a poo poo show down the line since the CRA says they are going to take money paid out to fraudulent claimants from their regular social service payments like welfare/family allowance/GST etc.

I personally know several people that haven't worked in years that have been on a 24/7 booze and drug binge since they got their CERB cheques because "lol, free money!".

To be fair, does it really matter? If your goal is to keep money flowing from the bottom up in the economy, may as well do the bare minimum for costly and time-consuming means testing and work the details out later. Giving unemployed boozers money still serves the purpose.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LionArcher posted:

One in four of us statistically is getting an unemployment check every week. Is that not stimulating enough?

*Ron Howard voice “it isn’t”.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

If you have 90 seconds you should watch the opening scene of The Newsroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIpKfw17-yY

Oh wait is this not cspam

Rose-colored glasses revisionist BS when he pivots to his proto-MAGA speech. I hate this scene with such a passion, it makes me pray for number go down

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Vakal posted:

you're complaining that you can't skip ahead of someone else for medical care

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inept posted:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Inept posted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inept posted:

:perfect:

I want to put this quote in a little jar and whip it out whenever necessary. Maybe I can throw money at the doctor that way I can receive medical care before anyone else no matter their problem, based solely on my ability to pay more than them. This is how healthcare should be provided.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jokes posted:

:perfect:

I want to put this quote in a little jar and whip it out whenever necessary. Maybe I can throw money at the doctor that way I can receive medical care before anyone else no matter their problem, based solely on my ability to pay more than them. This is how healthcare should be provided.

New Zealand is like that, you can either wait for the public system to get to you or have insurance and/or pay for private. Works p well, particularly along with free accident cover.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

New Zealand is like that, you can either wait for the public system to get to you or have insurance and/or pay for private. Works p well, particularly along with free accident cover.

You can do that in the UK too.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Canada: "I had to wait 8 months for an MRI".

USA: Hell, I'll own up to it. Me IRL right now: "I've had a lump the size of an orange for at least five years, occasionally it hurts. Can't afford to even tell a doctor it exists, even when I (briefly) had insurance."

I haven't chewed with the left side of my teeth in about three years, because I have a giant hole in one of them that stuff gets packed into. At least now it's large enough that I can mostly clean it out now.
At least I still have all four of my wisdom teeth. Oh wait, the pressure from those is what cause another tooth to crack off at the root. Luckily it was on the same side as the holey tooth.

A couple years ago my depression went into a super deep low. Like, I'm used to a background level of 'misery with high points of numb, and suicidal thoughts', and this was bad by that standard.
When I realized that keeping a length of rope in the car in case I found something suitably tall and remote to use it and not be found for a while should be a warning sign, I sought help.

I found 5 charities in driving distance for psychiatric help.
Best price was $500 for the first consultation. Cash up front.

Just gently caress anybody that really thinks the USA system of 'die in a gutter you poor piece of poo poo' is better than literally anything else.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I don't understand. You absolutely have the option to get care from a private practice in Canada. Last year I had get an MRI and I was told I could wait five months for the one in the hospital or pay a clinic to get in sooner. I'm poor so I waited the five months but the option was still there.

Then again I'm still waiting on referral for a neurologist more than a year down the road. poo poo is slow but at least I'm not in debt. If I had the cash though I could probably find a private practice that would provide relatively fast and adequate care.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s the problem. Gating healthcare behind paying money for expedience or quality is a piece of poo poo move, and skipping or moving up the line because you can pay is also a piece of poo poo move on everyone’s part: the provider, the patient, everyone.

Imagine there’s a Disneyland, and it has two lines for two versions of the same ride. You can get into one version for free with your price of admission, but the other one you need to pay an extra $200 to use. The problem isn’t that your normal line is slow, or that the fast line is a welcome respite. It’s that the system could have been designed where there’s one line and two rides, making the line move twice as fast. And odds are, the $200 ride is kept in better condition because Disney, Inc. is seeking to make a profit.

Now imagine getting on the ride at all is a life-or-death situation. Should there really be a $200 line? If the normal line gets too long where’s the incentive to add an additional normal line, when they could just let the normal line get so long there’s more demand for the $200 ride. Let’s say it’s an 8-month line to get on that ride.

With healthcare it’s such an inelastic service that the profit incentive is way, way too huge to pass up an opportunity to make the system have an inefficiency and offer a profit-motivated solution that’s horribly unethical.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disney does do that btw.

You can pay extra to skip the lines (for the most part) lol

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's called Disney FastPass and they already did that when I went in about 2000.
Pay more, wait less.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vakal posted:

government can't take the money back if you spend it all

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Vakal posted:

Seems like a very effective stimulus plan. Pulling money for "fraudulent" claims from SS payments seems punitive rather than a forced error.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

jokes posted:

That’s the problem. Gating healthcare behind paying money for expedience or quality is a piece of poo poo move, and skipping or moving up the line because you can pay is also a piece of poo poo move on everyone’s part: the provider, the patient, everyone.

Imagine there’s a Disneyland, and it has two lines for two versions of the same ride. You can get into one version for free with your price of admission, but the other one you need to pay an extra $200 to use. The problem isn’t that your normal line is slow, or that the fast line is a welcome respite. It’s that the system could have been designed where there’s one line and two rides, making the line move twice as fast. And odds are, the $200 ride is kept in better condition because Disney, Inc. is seeking to make a profit.

Now imagine getting on the ride at all is a life-or-death situation. Should there really be a $200 line? If the normal line gets too long where’s the incentive to add an additional normal line, when they could just let the normal line get so long there’s more demand for the $200 ride. Let’s say it’s an 8-month line to get on that ride.

With healthcare it’s such an inelastic service that the profit incentive is way, way too huge to pass up an opportunity to make the system have an inefficiency and offer a profit-motivated solution that’s horribly unethical.

As someone said, no need to imagine. It exists, even in Canada (Wonderland Fastpass) and :capitalism:

That being said where the hell are you people waiting 5, 8 months for MRIs? Last one I got I waited 6 weeks I think?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Inept posted:

Not really. The thing to take into consideration is that "free health care" isn't free, it's paid for mainly through income tax.

So if you're person who's making decent money you are paying a shitload into the healthcare system every year, but that fact is not taken into consideration when it's time to actually time to get services provided. It's like getting basic coverage despite paying for premium.

And on top of that there's the whole issue with Doctor retention. Here in Canada at least we have a hell of a time keeping doctors around for more than a few years since they can make so much more money in the states.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 17, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Watch this clown say that progressive tax is unfair :allears:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

As someone said, no need to imagine. It exists, even in Canada (Wonderland Fastpass) and :capitalism:

That being said where the hell are you people waiting 5, 8 months for MRIs? Last one I got I waited 6 weeks I think?

I'm guessing it was either it was less critical (hence the wait) or they live in the middle of nowhere. There's a fuckload of hospitals in Toronto where you can get an MRI. Less so in Northern Ontario.

Like triaging absolutely is a thing. "My leg sorta hurts" will usually take a while. But if there's a whiff of cancer, watch as you zoom to the front of the line. Not to mention other imaging isn't nearly as bad. I went to my doctor with weird vague headaches (turned out to be jaw issues) and had a CT like a few days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Vakal posted:

Not really. The thing to take into consideration is that "free health care" isn't free, it's paid for mainly through income tax.

So if you're person who's making decent money you are paying a shitload into the healthcare system every year, but that fact is not taken into consideration when its time to actually time to get services provided. It's like getting basic coverage despite paying for premium.

And on top of that there's the whole issue with Doctor retention. Here in Canada at least we have a hell of a time keeping doctors around for more than a few years since they can make so much more money in the states.

1990s Conrad Black is that you?

Of course it's not free you idiot, nobody thinks that. But you don't get special Premium Plus Police Service because you pay more income tax. What, do you want the fire department to send an extra bonus truck to your house for every extra $100,000 you report on your taxes?

IIRC doctor retention isn't the issue it used to be in the sense of everyone going to the US like it was in the 90s (not that it doesn't happen ever but it's not the issue anyone focuses on anymore). It's more localized out east because nobody wants to live in the loving maritimes (but that's an issue for all jobs). Like a hospital like Sunnybrook isn't ever hurting for candidates. However most are hiring less thanks to recent funding cuts which ties into one of the other big problems with retention of physicians, burnout due to workload.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 17, 2020