Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It seems like Brexit has been going on for a while but I haven't been paying much attention.

So is it finally going to officially happen Jan 1st?

I'm excited!

Most likely not, but yes, that is the date that right now is the "point of no return".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It seems like Brexit has been going on for a while but I haven't been paying much attention.

So is it finally going to officially happen Jan 1st?

I'm excited!

That's when it'll happen in every way that matters, as they'll no longer be subject to EU treaties.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Der Kyhe posted:

Most likely not, but yes, that is the date that right now is the "point of no return".

Brexit Kiting isn't as profitable as Trade Deal Kiting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

There is no legal mechanism for staving off a 2021 Brexit at this point.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

My joke, which apparently wasnt clear enough, is that they will be given more and more extensions.

I can be wrong, and I know you are right in saying there's no legal mechanism. I do think tho, that there will be another EU summit, the kind that decides to give Poland and Hungary more money, FRONTEX more guns and poor people a finger salute, that will chamge whatever is needed to extend it further.

If I am wrong at least it will be fun!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah yes, apologies for the misunderstanding.

It would be completely farcical if it somehow got extended...which does mean it's a possibility, actually

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

EU commission and their negotiations with UK *are* the legal mechanism that can extend this again, and again.

But seriously, yes it seems that for now this is the deadline.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Phlegmish posted:

I thought the British government could at any time say "we're doing ruining our economy now we'll stay thanks" and that would be that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

I thought the British government could at any time say "we're doing ruining our economy now we'll stay thanks" and that would be that.

Is this actually possible? Wouldn't that require the agreement of the rest of the EU?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Phlegmish posted:

Is this actually possible? Wouldn't that require the agreement of the rest of the EU?

We'd probably say please do come back in. Did you have fun wrecking your economy dear? We've saved you a space next to Greece.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

...and the rest of the EU would welcome them back immediately. The legal authority to decide on this are exactly the same as the people negotiating on this deal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phlegmish posted:

Ah yes, apologies for the misunderstanding.

It would be completely farcical if it somehow got extended...which does mean it's a possibility, actually

This year seems to be making a lot of 'trust the process' liberals realise that the rules don't actually matter if no one is willing to enforce them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is what, the 8th final final, no really this is the final extension, extension? Or ninth? I've lost track

They'll just keep extending the deadline until britain changes their mind and they vote to reverse brexit, or everybody forgets and they quietly issue a 30 year extension

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm starting to see a bunch of news media say that there is pressure on the Democrats to accept the 500 billion proposal by the Republicans. If memory serves, that proposal doesn't include direct payments, but does include protections against being sued for businesses for having unsafe indoor conditions for viral spread. Why on Earth would anybody be wanting that to go through, it seems to benefit just companies and not people at all? Anything in there for citizens is also in the Democrat proposal, and there's more of it there (from what I understand).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gologle posted:

it seems to benefit just companies and not people at all?

:thumbsup:

:patriot:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

I'm starting to see a bunch of news media say that there is pressure on the Democrats to accept the 500 billion proposal by the Republicans.
Some people are dumb enough to believe "Get help to business then the money flows to The People :suicide:"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Businesses shouldn't be held responsible. That's just once again passing the buck onto someone else for the government's hosed up response. We should have burned our capital to the ground and started over by now, frankly. We've received zero help from both the state and federal level and businesses wanting to stay opened because they're trying to stay afloat is a symptom (heh) of there not being any meaningful response.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hadlock posted:

This is what, the 8th final final, no really this is the final extension, extension? Or ninth? I've lost track

They'll just keep extending the deadline until britain changes their mind and they vote to reverse brexit, or everybody forgets and they quietly issue a 30 year extension

I fuckin wish man.

Unfortunately the remain side in the UK gave up a year ago. We don't hear a sound from them.

Everyone knows it will be a disaster but no one has the political will to challenge it any more.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Businesses shouldn't be held responsible. That's just once again passing the buck onto someone else for the government's hosed up response.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

I fuckin wish man.

Unfortunately the remain side in the UK gave up a year ago. We don't hear a sound from them.

Everyone knows it will be a disaster but no one has the political will to challenge it any more.

I'm really kinda excited to see this disaster unfold. It's been like reading recipes for years and now we'll finally get to start cooking.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm really kinda excited to see this disaster unfold. It's been like reading recipes for years and now we'll finally get to start cooking.

:same:

I can't wait to see what happens when (if) they finally leave the EU. I'm tired of the US being the dumbest loving nation on earth. I want to see someone else gently caress up for once.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hold my :britain:pint:britain:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You gotta admit it would be absolutely hilarious if everything went amazingly better for the UK once they leave. The amount fuming anger and disappointment people would have for something going well would be fantastic.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Solice Kirsk posted:

You gotta admit it would be absolutely hilarious if everything went amazingly better for the UK once they leave. The amount fuming anger and disappointment people would have for something going well would be fantastic.

I mean, I certainly wouldn't begrudge things going amazingly better in the UK. But if it does, it'll necessitate a massive paradigm shift in macroeconomics and international trade theory that will very likely result in a return to a 19th-century world of great power competition (and we know how that ended).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

UK leaving without any treaty or just a nominal one will lead into two things; the Northern Ireland will be a problem again because of the hard(ish) border across the island, and the Scottish will be looking for an exit where they can become one of the independent EU oil providers akin to Norway.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

UK leaving without any treaty or just a nominal one will lead into two things; the Northern Ireland will be a problem again because of the hard(ish) border across the island, and the Scottish will be looking for an exit where they can become one of the independent EU oil providers akin to Norway.

My understanding is that Scotland doesn't have nearly enough oil/gas/whisky to match the money it gets as part of the UK.

My personal favourite upcoming no-deal funtime arena is the sea wars over fishing rights with the entirety of the seafaring nations in Western Europe.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cynic posted:

My understanding is that Scotland doesn't have nearly enough oil/gas/whisky to match the money it gets as part of the UK.

My personal favourite upcoming no-deal funtime arena is the sea wars over fishing rights with the entirety of the seafaring nations in Western Europe.

Elizabeth I defeated the Spanish Armada, surely Elizabath II can handle a few fishing boats

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Elizabeth I defeated the Spanish Armada, surely Elizabath II can handle a few fishing boats

I know this is a joke but;

> The EU fishing fleet counts more than 81 thousands vessels and is very diverse, with vessels ranging from under 6 metres to over 75 metres.

> As of August 2020, there are 77 operational commissioned ships (including submarines as well as one "static ship") in the Royal Navy, plus 13 ships of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA); there are also five Merchant Navy ships available to the RFA under a private finance initiative.

Looking forward to a shrimp-scented zerg rush in the new year.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

cynic posted:

> The EU fishing fleet counts more than 81 thousands vessels and is very diverse, with vessels ranging from under 6 metres to over 75 metres.

> As of August 2020, there are 77 operational commissioned ships (including submarines as well as one "static ship") in the Royal Navy, plus 13 ships of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA); there are also five Merchant Navy ships available to the RFA under a private finance initiative.

Hey, at least we got the custody of the only carrier that isn't locked into only using F-35 or so.

Unfortunately this also means that EU is pretty much locked into using the French navy and French nuclear deterrence as their first response weapons, since Germany is on loan/lease with the nukes and no-one else has a hard-on on projecting power.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cynic posted:

The ol' "how many kindergartners do you think you could beat up" but with fishing vessels vs a modern navy.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

The ol' "how many kindergartners do you think you could beat up" but with fishing vessels vs a modern navy.

So does this mean that the people in Iceland can start to shoot the Englishmen on sight?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

watch this end up completely upend naval warfare the same way torpedoes made battleships obsolete

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The EU death floatilla will go on to be the great nomadic empire as sea levels rise. All will fear the Khan

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
For some reason I got the UN mixed up with the EU in my head, and I was about to make a joke about the League of Nations, but nevermind.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

watch this end up completely upend naval warfare the same way torpedoes made battleships obsolete

I think there was a war simulation that the US spent hundreds of thousands on and when one of the controlling generals started putting missile launchers on fishing boats the simulation broke down and they started sinking vast swathes of carrier groups because they were the equivalent of min/maxing a horde of fire mages.

edit:
There's probably a more thorough and accurate description of what happened, but I like mine better.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RFC2324 posted:

Goonsquad pingkill tactics finally taken to real life.

V.I.L.Erat squadron

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think there was a war simulation that the US spent hundreds of thousands on and when one of the controlling generals started putting missile launchers on fishing boats the simulation broke down and they started sinking vast swathes of carrier groups because they were the equivalent of min/maxing a horde of fire mages.

edit:
There's probably a more thorough and accurate description of what happened, but I like mine better.

I don't know what the exercise was called but the other group was all like "nuh uh you can't do that" and changed the rules so they could win. The Marine who completely kicked their rear end was a badass.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

seriously, I can't help but think that 300 little trawlers with 2-3 RPGs or whatever portable, disposable missile launchers would be a serious threat to a conventional warfleet

human wave tactics, but with rowboats

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, the guy running that side of the simulation started doing stuff like faster-than-light bike messengers and fishing boats launching missiles longer than boat. He was a try-harding douche nozzle and the point of the exercise wasn't to win, it was to do the exercise. Move the ships around to see if they all worked and could communicate new/unknown information at scale, see how all the logistics behind that kind of movement worked at crunch time, and then throw in some monkey wrenches like "Welp the enemy targeted your fuel tanker. What now?" So once he "won" everyone said "Ok dickbag, that's great, can we get back to what we're doing now?"

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dunno, were people angry and disappointed that the US economy did well for most of Trump's presidency?

Actually yeah, I remember some grumbling about that

e: the important thing is what LanceHunter said, if it goes 'amazingly better' for them, everything we know about the global economy is wrong.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 28, 2020