Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) Where the gently caress does he hide all this talent during 99% of the year
2) Wherever they put the microphone on that car needs to be where NBC puts it from now on because goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
again I think marco is like the only human ever who just needs a good mindset coach or something, because he can clearly actually race under pressure, he just never has experienced pressure.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
It may not have always been so, but nowadays Marco is just a pay driver, and his family ties to one of the biggest teams in the sport is the only thing putting him in a ride. The flashes of skill he demonstrates from time to time don't overshadow the mediocrity he's shown for the majority of his career. We see similarly skilled drivers with no sponsor money tossed out on their asses every season, having never had the opportunities to learn and grow that Marco has been given. Of course Marco pulls off some cool poo poo from time to time, he's spent a decade in top equipment so he drat well better be able to show something.

Lance Stroll reminds me a lot of Marco Andretti.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Reynold posted:

Lance Stroll reminds me a lot of Marco Andretti.

Yeah, if Lance Stroll was Lance Fittipaldi or Lance Senna

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah, if Lance Stroll was Lance Fittipaldi or Lance Senna

I mean more in the sense that family money has put him where he is, keeps him where he is, and has afforded him every opportunity possible to improve his craft. Another mediocre driver who has experienced success in lower tiers before fizzling out at the top who should have been given the boot by now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does his money and name keep him in that car when other drivers with better actual race results have lost rides? Yes.

Does that specific car exist without his money or name? No.

We're not in a scenario anymore where there's a lack of tubs, or engines, or grid slots, or anything other than "not enough teams with money to run a season". Marco's sponsors like him specifically, without him in that car there's no money and no 98.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does his money and name keep him in that car when other drivers with better actual race results have lost rides? Yes.

Does that specific car exist without his money or name? No.

We're not in a scenario anymore where there's a lack of tubs, or engines, or grid slots, or anything other than "not enough teams with money to run a season". Marco's sponsors like him specifically, without him in that car there's no money and no 98.

yeah, despite it all he's still like the 4th most popular driver, his pole run btw, better rating than all but one race, im sure the sponser liked that

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

1) Where the gently caress does he hide all this talent during 99% of the year
2) Wherever they put the microphone on that car needs to be where NBC puts it from now on because goddamn.

Yeah, all I see watching that video is "If you'd driven like this the rest of the year you wouldn't be anywhere near losing the money".

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

bennyfactor posted:

The pace car ran out of gas!

I wonder how pissed off Honda is at that bit of airtime? Here is the Honda pace car that's run out of gas after doing a handful of laps around the track...

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/6045922002

:jerkbag:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
hey cool we have Roger Trump running the series

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Dropping the Freedom 100 is pretty dumb, and the reasons for doing so are also dumb.

NBC Sports Gold was finally giving Indy Lights the coverage I wanted, and then the series got cancelled. I'm still greatly looking forward to it coming back next year, but drat, most people don't know poo poo about the drivers, teams, or what tracks they run on, but everyone knows the Freedom 100 on Carb Day, and losing it on purpose is just a bad move on Penske's part.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 27, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
what's even the logic?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

what's even the logic?

I believe dropping the Freedom 100 was done to have "less moving parts" in play, should the pandemic still be screwing things up in May 2021, leaving the schedule more open to changes for the 500 in case they can't do Carb Day again. Sounds pretty thin to me, but who knows how things will play out.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Roger also claims because he has no idea who's even going to race next year its not safe to have people drive at IMS for the first time (???)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

Roger also claims because he has no idea who's even going to race next year its not safe to have people drive at IMS for the first time (???)

Yeah that was a weird one, maybe the 2019 Windom crash has him scared about an "in the fence" crash happening if they can't get enough practice time in? poo poo, Braden Eves broke his drat neck on the road course not too long ago. I still don't know what happened there.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

He does realise everyone has to drive at Indy for the first time in order to drive at Indy for the second time right?

And doing so in slower cars with barely double figures around you is probably better than with 32 others at 230mph.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
He's right in the sense there have been some big dumb wrecks in the Freedom 100 even with single digit car counts. The driver quality has been mixed to be polite

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CactusWeasle posted:

It was almost as clownshoes as Toronto 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPDXyTPzHzQ

This is the greatest video on the internet, amazing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2020/10/28/dragonspeed-shutters-indycar-program/

Shame, they never got to run this pretty scheme:

https://twitter.com/DragonSpeedLLC/status/1236791401129508864

Whoever funds that program is a fickle person who seems to have a short attention span for expensive projects.

Good news for Shank though, sounds like the expansion is happening sooner rather than later.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is a good looking car but given how competitive they've been, I'm much happier to see that as another Meyer Shank car. Harvey had the absolute definition of a year that was better than his finishes.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Palou is in the CGR 10.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://www.thedrive.com/news/37386/honda-pulls-mario-andretti-from-driving-the-two-seater-indycar-and-we-had-the-last-ride

dammit, missed my chance to have Mario take me around spinning wildly into the wall

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
also yikes

the make up would be a good bottas if he jus put on the merc shirt

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think we found Marco's new ride.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

also yikes

the make up would be a good bottas if he jus put on the merc shirt

jfc Tracy is such a dumb piece of poo poo

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Reynold posted:

jfc Tracy is such a dumb piece of poo poo

thank god

he's going to canada

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's not going to keep him off of NBC, though, is it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think PT knows he’s getting replaced by Hinch or TK. He started posting dumber and dumber poo poo on his IG at the end of the year.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Hinch is just too good

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'd rather Hinch have a ride than be a full-time booth guy tbh, as good as he is in that role

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'd rather Hinch have a ride than be a full-time booth guy tbh, as good as he is in that role

No poo poo, and aside from his total brainfade at the end of St Pete, he was putting some good work in the 26 car.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Whether or not Hinch has anything left to show the series on track, I'd MUCH rather see him in the booth than PT. A toxic, delusional weirdo like Tracy should be cut loose ASAP. Bro sexually harassed a co-host on camera and nobody said poo poo, that was insane. His continued presence is damaging imo.

Not that I'm a huge fan of Hinch either, I think he whines a lot and jumps to conclusions, but if the alternative is PT? No contest.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is TK a potential option to run the oval races in the CGR 48? Given that this year was ovals only for him and that ride will probably be very "trophy or steering wheel" given there's not one driver going for a championship, it seems like it could be a good match.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Reynold posted:

Bro sexually harassed a co-host on camera and nobody said poo poo, that was insane.

Wait, what? When was this? I was aware PT said some dumb poo poo on camera but holy crap.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Space Racist posted:

Wait, what? When was this? I was aware PT said some dumb poo poo on camera but holy crap.

Danica wore some bright yellow heels to one of the Indy 500 broadcasts, and he felt compelled to let her know he liked her "sexy shoes," then doubled down on twitter by snapping a pic of his girl's shoe closet and saying "I GOT A FETISH SO WHAT DIDNT KNOW THAT WAS A CRIME" or some dumb poo poo. It was gross.

Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPI4siSgFAA

Reynold fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 9, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Helio to MSR for six races as a teammate to Jack Harvey.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Helio to MSR for six races as a teammate to Jack Harvey.

Do you think that means he’ll also be in Shank’s IMSA program?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given how well the 60 did last year, that seems like both a good place for Helio to end up, and a big benefit to MSR themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Came across an interesting video documenting the history of the on again/off again relationship between Indycar & Pocono:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqGFcPjacZc