Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Apparently Aldo Andretti died 2 days ago :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep, Mario's brother and John's father Aldo Andretti passed away (I saw Mario tweeting it originally), but also John Paul Jr. passed away after a long battle with disease. He was just as (if not more) famous for racing anything and everything in sports cars (and for his father...) but JPJ was a hell of a hand in open wheel:

quote:

Paul, who died Tuesday night at the age of 60, led a star-crossed life that saw the friendly, gangly kid from Muncie, Ind. jump into sports cars and win instantly before taking his skills to Indy cars, where he passed Rick Mears on the last lap to capture the Michigan 500 in only his fourth start. He drat near beat Mario Andretti at Caesars Palace and stardom was staring him right in the eye.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drat, another loss for a longtime IndyCar name :smith:

https://twitter.com/racermag/status/1346819743269924864

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Patrick Racing was always one of my favourites. RIP.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/MarcoAndretti/status/1346910129317318656

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://twitter.com/guillebtbw/status/1347068002911576066

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Better (and more appropriate) than PT's Uber dig.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Santucci signed a part time Xfinity deal, lol, cya later bitch

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cygni posted:

Santucci signed a part time Xfinity deal, lol, cya later bitch

A part time drive in a part time team that last year seemed to be capable of no better than top 20 finishes. Might be rough for our boy over there. RIP Santino. Maybe someone will let him take a crack at the 500?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
#Whocare.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Coyne seem to have no-one signed up for this year, are we entirely certain they'll be on the grid?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

Coyne seem to have no-one signed up for this year, are we entirely certain they'll be on the grid?

Oh yeah. It’s been different recently but Coyne back in the day was notorious for having “TBD” as a driver/drivers until a few days before testing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's been at least one year where the contract wasn't "official" or "announced" until practice 1 at St. Pete. Wanna say it was for Justin Wilson.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Wrong thread

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2021/01/14/grosjean-tipped-for-coyne-indycar-seat/

Maybe he hit that barrier really hard at that one F1 race to prepare for his oval experiences

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's a decent choice, we will see how he fairs over here.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

https://racer.com/2021/01/14/grosjean-tipped-for-coyne-indycar-seat/

Maybe he hit that barrier really hard at that one F1 race to prepare for his oval experiences

Note to self : Next time wait 24hrs to ask any question.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/marcoandretti/status/1350156080953913344?s=21

Marco semi-retiring, will only run Indy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo.

Wonder how much of this is "no leader circle money" and how much of this is "the results that ended with no leader circle money".

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Well, I think this is the right move.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

God remember when he nearly won the indy 500

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Croc posted:

God remember when he nearly won the indy 500

remember when grandpa suggested Marco could jump to F1?

think of the alternative world where the third-generation Andretti wins the 500 early in his career and has that to work with and trade on for some time.

hard to say if we'd wind up back here or if he'd actually have the confidence needed to push on as a championship contender more regularly, but what a thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up driving an Acura something in IMSA some of the time, and the rumors maintain that the IMSA prototype program will continue to LMDh and possibly expand to include WEC. Marco just might be better suited for sports cars, and that's not an indictment of him in IndyCars.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

harperdc posted:

remember when grandpa suggested Marco could jump to F1?

think of the alternative world where the third-generation Andretti wins the 500 early in his career and has that to work with and trade on for some time.

hard to say if we'd wind up back here or if he'd actually have the confidence needed to push on as a championship contender more regularly, but what a thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up driving an Acura something in IMSA some of the time, and the rumors maintain that the IMSA prototype program will continue to LMDh and possibly expand to include WEC. Marco just might be better suited for sports cars, and that's not an indictment of him in IndyCars.

I mean, he's not a terrible driver, he won 3/5 Indy lights races he ever entered in and won a race his rookie season, he just has been pure garbage since 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

So does that free up a seat at Andretti, then? If so, I wonder who they're looking at.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reynold posted:

So does that free up a seat at Andretti, then? If so, I wonder who they're looking at.

Team is shrinking to 4 cars. As people have been sayin all along, Marco being in the seat is what kept that car on the track. Without him, no car.

I like Marco, i hope he wins Indy some day.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

is that also the car that finished outside of the Leader's Circle money?

wondering if the sponsorship will move over to another car or, without LC, if it's only enough for Indy and a couple other races.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

is that also the car that finished outside of the Leader's Circle money?

yup, lol

Still, if Grosjean hasn't inked a deal with Coyne yet as is rumored, an AA ride could be more appealing if he's got the scratch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Reynold posted:

yup, lol

as nice as Marco's message was, this ain't rocket science. lines crossing lines, numbers in Excel. sometimes it's just math.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I feel like everyone detests Marco but I don’t really. I mean, he’s far from the worst descendant of a legendary name to get in a race car. Like he’s not as good as Rahal but he’s leagues above the later Unsers, AJ Foyt IV who I had no idea even existed until a few years ago, and various bad offspring of F1 drivers. Uh also there is apparently a Eddie Cheever III.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Simona De Silvestro gonna be running a Penske-backed car for the Indy 500:

https://racer.com/2021/01/19/de-sil...b36kcoUwDGCZqqY

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hell yeah, my nuclear clean air energy shirt is back in style!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
🥳

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

I like Marco, i hope he wins Indy some day.

imagine loudly proclaiming you love for this phenomenally untalented loser gifted a seat by his name after his trump-loving rear end had the audacity to tweet this poo poo

while the loving us capitol was being stormed by trumpers

gently caress marco loving andretti, the only thing i hope he wins at indy is a trip to the infield care center

like, i genuinely do not understand the appeal of someone who is a lovely driver and an even shittier person

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 20, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

imagine loudly proclaiming you love for this phenomenally untalented loser gifted a seat by his name after his trump-loving rear end had the audacity to tweet this poo poo

while the loving us capitol was being stormed by trumpers

gently caress marco loving andretti, the only thing i hope he wins at indy is a trip to the infield care center

like, i genuinely do not understand the appeal of someone who is a lovely driver and an even shittier person

I honestly dont know why people take that as a pro trump insurrection tweet? Telling the dipshits protesting the election to stay peaceful seems fine? Or are you guys taking from that tweet "keep breaking into the capitol but stay peaceful while doing it? Cause thats not how i take it at all, but ok i guess.

We know like every one of the drivers and owners voted for Trump, thats like not even in the top 10 of lovely pro trump tweets (Graham has like 9 of the 10 to be fair). And wait until you hear about Penske, the series owner, and his relationship with Trump! Or Sam Schmidt's vegas stuff, youll love that!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 20, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

I honestly dont know why people take that as a pro trump insurrection tweet? Telling the dipshits protesting the election to stay peaceful seems fine? We know like every one of the drivers voted for Trump, thats like not even in the top 10 of lovely pro trump tweets (Graham has like 9 of the 10 to be fair).

it isn't pro-insurrection and nobody said it was.

it does however imply that trump didn't spend months riling his followers up to do exactly what they did, which is total horeseshit. the attempted murder of loving us congresspeople was 100% on trump and tweeting out poo poo like 'stay peaceful' when you're a vocal trump supporter displays willful ignorance of the man's actions.

Cygni posted:

We know like every one of the drivers voted for Trump, thats like not even in the top 10 of lovely pro trump tweets (Graham has like 9 of the 10 to be fair).

most other drivers have the good sense to at least not be out and vocal trump supporters. the only ones i really know that are vocal about it are graham, marco and his entire family, and pagenaud.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

when you're a vocal trump supporter

is... he? I dont really remember Marco ever really saying anything. Michael and Mario both have. Marcos twitter is mostly him hanging out with Ice T.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, Marco’s a fail son so there’s like a 99.9% chance he is

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

is... he? I dont really remember Marco ever really saying anything. Michael and Mario both have. Marcos twitter is mostly him hanging out with Ice T.

he's said enough that myself and apparently a bunch of people who responded to him on twitter were well aware that the was a trumper, despite my having not paid a lot of attention to indycar or racing in general for the past like 6 years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

alright so we hate marco cause we assumed he was a trump guy from his posting without him saying it (despite every driver except Kimball and Hildebrand absolutely voting for trump), and also we hate him cause hes slow even though this is indycar and that doesnt matter because its not like he was filling a seat someone else would have or something, the car just goes away in its entirety

i think im gonna keep hoping he wins indy because it will make people mad instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
weren't the andretti's benficiaries of the ustace or something back in istria