Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We are setting up a new building, the conference room names are Indianapolis themed. I couldn’t resist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hell yeah

i tried to get our conference rooms in our Long Beach office right off Ocean Blvd named Unser, Andretti, and Tracy (the 4+ winner club!) but they went with stunning names like... 5S-431

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CactusWeasle posted:

Would you like fries or not, sir

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

IMS posted:

the issuance and required use of masks, distribution of hand sanitizer to all who enter

This will cut down on the crowds by driving away people who want to avoid all that rigmarole, but it probably won't be of much help in directly reducing the spread of viral infection:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

quote:

Here, we review the evidence base on the effectiveness of nonpharmaceutical personal protective measures and environmental hygiene measures in nonhealthcare settings and discuss their potential inclusion in pandemic plans. Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

quote:

Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

quote:

However, results from our meta-analysis on RCTs did not provide evidence to support a protective effect of hand hygiene against transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Vasukhani posted:

the indy 500 is truly indicative of the American century, started before ww1, became the most famed race basically anywhere in the 50s and 60s. Although Euros still looked down on it, nothing came close to its attendance and reward money.

It dies with the American Empire, slowly petering out before probably eventually ceasing or just reverting to its most perverse form (the brickyard 400) in obscurity.

In that they stole a British thing and made it not poo poo yes.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Local blackout just got lifted.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

devmd01 posted:

Local blackout just got lifted.

Wow I don't remember a sell out ever happening 10 months before the race

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

This will cut down on the crowds by driving away people who want to avoid all that rigmarole, but it probably won't be of much help in directly reducing the spread of viral infection:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

That seems to run counter to the Missouri Salon trace that the CDC published last week

Something about the wwwnc host and all the studies being published by international researchers makes me go hmmmmm on that whole EID page.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

wernox posted:

That seems to run counter to the Missouri Salon trace that the CDC published last week

Something about the wwwnc host and all the studies being published by international researchers makes me go hmmmmm on that whole EID page.

That is one isolated case, with several caveats:

quote:

The findings in this report are subject to at least four limitations. First, whereas the health department monitored all exposed clients for signs and symptoms of COVID-19, and no clients developed symptoms, only a subset was tested; thus, asymptomatic clients could have been missed. Similarly, with a viral incubation period of 2–14 days, any COVID-19 PCR tests obtained from clients too early in their course of infection could return false-negative results. To help mitigate this possibility, all exposed clients were offered testing on day 5 and were contacted daily to monitor for symptoms until day 14. Second, although the health department obtained supplementary data, no information was collected regarding underlying medical conditions or use of other personal protective measures, such as gloves and hand hygiene, which could have influenced risk for infection. Third, viral shedding is at its highest during the 2 to 3 days before symptom onset; any clients who interacted with the stylists before they became symptomatic were not recruited for contact tracing. Finally, the mode of interaction between stylist and client might have limited the potential for exposure to the virus. Services at salon A were limited to haircuts, facial hair trimmings, and perms. Most stylists cut hair while clients are facing away from them, which might have also limited transmission.

The meta-study I linked to does admit "Most studies were underpowered because of limited sample size, and some studies also reported suboptimal adherence in the face mask group.". The rest of its language sounds confident, though.

The EID page is legit, by the way - here it is being linked to from the CDC main site.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

That is one isolated case, with several caveats:

The meta-study I linked to does admit "Most studies were underpowered because of limited sample size, and some studies also reported suboptimal adherence in the face mask group.". The rest of its language sounds confident, though.

The EID page is legit, by the way - here it is being linked to from the CDC main site.

I agree that the EID page is legitimately being linked back and forth from the main CDC site. InfoSec is my job and I spent an inordinate amount of time digging into it.

There was a discussion of the Missouri data in my grad stats class that basically boiled down to n>30 being a representative sample. I think it lends strength to the argument that full masking is a fair preventative measure in cases where social distancing isn't possible. The efficacy of of my mask keeping me from getting sick is questionable, it keeping me from getting other masked people sick, not so much.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/TonyDIndy/status/1286318269020938240

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
inb4 indy 1000

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

inb4 indy 1000

6hr42m timed race, to match Harroun's finish.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

yeah..... poo poo man YEAH

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

IOwnCalculus posted:

am down

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
bring back the hill climbs too

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

yeah..... poo poo man YEAH

To be fair this would likely end up pretty close to 1000 miles.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

24 hours of Le Indy

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bring back the Sweepstakes

I want to win some poo poo

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Spaced God posted:

24 hours of Le Indy

This but the cars have to use the superspeedway kit

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

IOwnCalculus posted:

Good idea is good.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I know it won't happen but could these cars theoretically do it? I guess if you start with a new engine etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dudley posted:

I know it won't happen but could these cars theoretically do it? I guess if you start with a new engine etc.

24 hour race on an oval oval would own. If you consider how zen and chill Le Mans is over night can you imagine how chillaxed a 24 hours of Indy would be?

Anyway, the engines would all expire by about hour 6 I'd guess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

I don't see why not. They all get fresh engines for Indy but those engines then get used later in the season for another 1000+ miles.

Realistically the big issue would be driver fatigue, and it's not like the current iteration of the DW12 is easy to get in and out of for driver swaps.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

algebra testes posted:

24 hour race on an oval oval would own.

This idea is so bad you should be probated

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

algebra testes posted:

24 hour race on an oval oval would own.

The 24h of Daytona does indeed own

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just got my ticket confirmation for IMS, I get to keep my two tickets but shifted down one row and on the aisle.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

devmd01 posted:

Just got my ticket confirmation for IMS, I get to keep my two tickets but shifted down one row and on the aisle.

We got 3/4 of ours, which is perfect since we won't be bringing a guest this year anyhow.

Also, Portland and Laguna Seca are out, Gateway and Harvest GP double headers are in.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Mid Ohio double-header too

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
wonder if 2019 will go down as the last year ever with a full field

https://racer.com/2020/07/27/still-some-gaps-in-field-of-33-ahead-of-indy-500/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Roger has made double digit billions since the shutdown started, btw. i think IndyCar will be fine for a bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

wonder if 2019 will go down as the last year ever with a full field

https://racer.com/2020/07/27/still-some-gaps-in-field-of-33-ahead-of-indy-500/

Of all the loving years to not have 33 cars, this year has a bit of justification behind it. Racing in general is in the shitter and even if Indycar manages to stay COVID-clean for the next month, this is probably the worst "May" in history to be trying to fund a one-off ride.

I would not put it past Roger to pull some big favors to make 33 happen, though.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
in 1916 half the field was put up by Fisher

im sure they can throw some left over chassis at the end, get some dirt people to drive them

tony George''s dream comes true

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

Of all the loving years to not have 33 cars, this year has a bit of justification behind it. Racing in general is in the shitter and even if Indycar manages to stay COVID-clean for the next month, this is probably the worst "May" in history to be trying to fund a one-off ride.

I would not put it past Roger to pull some big favors to make 33 happen, though.

Juncos sort of hinted at it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
As a somewhat depressing aside Kyle Kaiser went back to school - the racing path didn’t pan out it seems.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Frond posted:

As a somewhat depressing aside Kyle Kaiser went back to school - the racing path didn’t pan out it seems.

he gets to have a relatively normal life except for that one time he out-qualified alonso

p good imo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham's pseudo-IROC reboot for 2021 has its second entry:

https://twitter.com/paultracy3/status/1288507057637752834

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
can tracy fit in a race car still

real question, not fat shaming

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

can tracy fit in a race car still

real question, not fat shaming

It's the lack of a neck for the HANS device that's the real concern