Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, street races won't happen again this year. It's why Formula E is so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Something about those just seems off....

(The iRacing events hosted by the Dinner with Racers guys tap into similar “multi-class racing” vibes for sure)

I loving love that PC sims let you have huge fields of whatever the gently caress you like. I'm forever doing poo poo like just throwing 35 F1 and Indycars cars of every era onto Silverstone National.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

31 cars for Michigan (first starts for Chilton + Davison + RHR + Marco + Jr) and if you have caught some of the practice races, I think it is safe to say this is gonna be A. Disaster. Cool!

https://twitter.com/tracksideonline/status/1248379214975262721

Which means to save anyone mathsing, we've lost Johnson and Scott Speed.

EDIT : And one other but I can't figure out who.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 10, 2020

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

You can do whatever you like and you pick Silverstone??

Nationals a pretty good circuit to have a mass race on. You want a short circuit so lapping starts quickly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Michigan could easily run that many cars. In 1994 at CART's zenith there were sometimes up to 32 car fields, bizarrely though only on street circuits or road courses (31 at Toronto, 32 at Portland). They actually had to send Franck Freon home at Road America that year although he eventually started anyway because Ross Bentley withdrew prior to the start due to to a cracked Bellhousing (WTF?!?).

We've all had nights like that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Vitolo also must have known somebody because he inexplicably kept getting rides.

I was watching one of the early one he was in recently and it was pretty explicit he personally paid for that one.

Thankfully not the one where he mounted Nigel Mansell.

Frond posted:

I just find it odd Coyne didn't have another transmission available.

I'll level with you, I've no idea what a bellhousing is, it just sounded funny.

"Yeah boss, I can't come in today, I've cracked my bellhousing".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

:eng101: It's the part that actually bolts the engine and transmission cases together. Cracking one would be a bad day in a regular car but you could probably still drive carefully. In any modern open wheeler, the rear suspension is bolted to the transmission, so trying to race on a cracked bellhousing would probably result in the car suddenly and violently splitting in two.

Excellent.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I literally don't know of a sim where you can't race from behind. I'm 99% certain even iRacing added it as an option.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ah that'll be it, still DQs it in the eyes of Commander Gatekeeper up there.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think Ferrari is more likely to do LMDh than IndyCar, the Le Mans heritage is strong there, but if they did both I'd love it.

e: I wish jag would get their heads out of their asses wrt motorsports and start doing more sportscar racing again

I don't see it, simply because you can't win in LMDh, they'll just BoP you until it's "Your turn" again. Ferrari will go places they can dominate. *

* In theory, if they weren't shithouse.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

bennyfactor posted:

I thought TK still had 7-11 as a minor sponsor, at least last year.

In at least one sim race I've seen him run the full livery, whether that was for any current consideration or just for nostalgia sake I can't tell you.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's almost always diminishing returns with driver's kids isn't it.

No-one remember the sparkling career of Al Unser part 3 for instance?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

algebra testes posted:

Oh wow this isn't a joke huh.

They're not cancelling it because anyone wants to run it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

dsriggs posted:

Best thing that ever happened at Buddh was the day that this thing rolled out onto the track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoWP_GKU8YU

Sadly, the video showing the suspension collapsing in front of the pits during the first drive by at 30mph has been removed from their channel :(

e: Never mind, somebody on Reddit saved it
https://www.reddit.com/r/FSAE/comments/aow2g2/lets_not_forget_this_gem_of_the_past/

What is that, a rear wing for ants?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iwentdoodie posted:

Us, Brazil and India :v:

Britain says "Hold our ale".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is this a proper test or a glorified show run?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

StubHub cancelled my order for the 500 this year, but isnt offering refunds. Only a 120% of value voucher. So now I have like $1300 in StubHub Bux. Great....

Dear god your consumer laws are poo poo.

"I want this service"
"Money please"
"Here"
"Actually we're not gonna provide this service"
"That's a shame Money please"
"Nah mate".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Vasukhani posted:

the indy 500 is truly indicative of the American century, started before ww1, became the most famed race basically anywhere in the 50s and 60s. Although Euros still looked down on it, nothing came close to its attendance and reward money.

It dies with the American Empire, slowly petering out before probably eventually ceasing or just reverting to its most perverse form (the brickyard 400) in obscurity.

In that they stole a British thing and made it not poo poo yes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I know it won't happen but could these cars theoretically do it? I guess if you start with a new engine etc.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

On the plus side I won my bet that Mario would lead more laps than Marco...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Zach Veach of course is ahead of Marco in the championship.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Given Veach seems to have been prised away from his sponsor, I can't see Team "Totally McLaren you guys" Schmidt being interested.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

bennyfactor posted:

Pruett is suggesting Hinchcliffe, as well as Castroneves and Bourdais, are in the cars for the last few 2020 races to salvage leader's circle funding https://racer.com/2020/09/25/indycar-silly-season-2020-ep-2/

That makes more sense, the official line was that Veach stepped aside to allow them to prepare for next year, which unless they plan to keep Hinch is not what's happened.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Given the prizes are for the top 3, probably.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

1) Where the gently caress does he hide all this talent during 99% of the year
2) Wherever they put the microphone on that car needs to be where NBC puts it from now on because goddamn.

Yeah, all I see watching that video is "If you'd driven like this the rest of the year you wouldn't be anywhere near losing the money".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

He does realise everyone has to drive at Indy for the first time in order to drive at Indy for the second time right?

And doing so in slower cars with barely double figures around you is probably better than with 32 others at 230mph.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Coyne seem to have no-one signed up for this year, are we entirely certain they'll be on the grid?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

https://racer.com/2021/01/14/grosjean-tipped-for-coyne-indycar-seat/

Maybe he hit that barrier really hard at that one F1 race to prepare for his oval experiences

Note to self : Next time wait 24hrs to ask any question.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"After my first run I was a second off the pace and thought 'Yeah now I'm home'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm assuming he didn't do qualifying because he hosed the thing into a wall on his first practice lap.