Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd ask "F1, roval, or Champ Car" but the first two no longer exist and the third never happened, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In the off chance anyone here hasn't seen it already, IMS is limiting attendance to 50% for the 500. Relevant bits from the email they sent:

quote:

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Aug. 23 for the 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge. While our racetrack has remained quiet, our work to enhance the venue has continued at INDYCAR speed, and we are excited for you to see all of the improvements.

Understanding how important the 500 is to our fans and our community, we have worked tirelessly to overcome the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. After continued consultation with local and state health officials, along with feedback from fans like you, we are committed to running the Indy 500 as scheduled and with spectators in our stands. To do so, we will implement enhanced health and safety measures across nearly all facets of our August events. One key pillar of our plan is to realign seating to allow for more space between customers on Race Day.

Consistent with CDC guidelines, we encourage customers who are 65 and older or have underlying medical conditions to consider staying home. For those fans attending the race, we will provide masks and hand sanitizer and we recommend their use. We will provide more information on additional health and safety measures in the coming weeks.

As a current Indy 500 ticketholder, IMS expects to be able to accommodate at least 50% of your original ticket quantity in or near your current seating location. We welcome requests for more than 50% of your original order size, though ticket quantities of greater than 50% may be moved to another available location.

Please log in to your account at IMS.com by Monday, July 6 to let us know how many tickets you would like to request, up to the size of your original order. If you have questions or need assistance completing the online form, please call the IMS Ticket Office at 317-492-6700 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

If you choose not to retain some or all of your current order, you will receive an IMS account credit good for other IMS events, including 2020 practice, qualifying and Miller Lite Carb Day, the INDYCAR Harvest GP or your 2021 Indy 500 renewal.

New Indy 500 Race Day tickets will be issued to all customers for the rescheduled Indy 500. If you have already received your original Indy 500 Race Day tickets, you may keep them, but they will not be valid for entry. If you have already received your Indy 500 Race Day parking and camping passes, please retain these for use for the rescheduled Indy 500.

Importantly, your decision will not impact your seniority or right to renew your tickets for the 105th Running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 30, 2021.

You must log in to your account at IMS.com and make your selections by Monday, July 6. If you do not log in and make your selections, your ticket order may be reduced by as much as 50%, and your new seats will be assigned in or near your current location. An account credit will be issued for the number of tickets removed from your order, and new tickets will be mailed to your address on record in early August.

While we are pleased to be able to welcome you back to the newly improved and enhanced Speedway for this year’s 500, we regret the inconvenience associated with these changes and appreciate your patience and support as we all continue to navigate these unprecedented times. Please visit IMS.com/COVID19 for additional information, FAQs and to contact us with any questions or concerns.

I turned mine in. First time I won't be at the 500 since 2006, but I like breathing without mechanical assistance more than I like Back Home Again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oof, that could have been very bad

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It was a really bad stall. Got going long enough to get two pit stalls down so they had to drag the car back by hand before they could restart it. He was just stuck in the field after that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

penske money is a lot but isnt that event basically the profitable one

Roger Penske has a stupid amount of money. The series itself will be fine.

The bigger question is the teams themselves and any hits they take on sponsor money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They won't be. Full replays are on NBC sports gold now.

They do still post 30 minute highlights - and to be fair when you can edit around what you know is going to happen, 30 minutes is probably enough to cover almost any race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUDx9jQ8ttA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29XaySAY2M

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

inb4 indy 1000

6hr42m timed race, to match Harroun's finish.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

yeah..... poo poo man YEAH

To be fair this would likely end up pretty close to 1000 miles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

I know it won't happen but could these cars theoretically do it? I guess if you start with a new engine etc.

I don't see why not. They all get fresh engines for Indy but those engines then get used later in the season for another 1000+ miles.

Realistically the big issue would be driver fatigue, and it's not like the current iteration of the DW12 is easy to get in and out of for driver swaps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

wonder if 2019 will go down as the last year ever with a full field

https://racer.com/2020/07/27/still-some-gaps-in-field-of-33-ahead-of-indy-500/

Of all the loving years to not have 33 cars, this year has a bit of justification behind it. Racing in general is in the shitter and even if Indycar manages to stay COVID-clean for the next month, this is probably the worst "May" in history to be trying to fund a one-off ride.

I would not put it past Roger to pull some big favors to make 33 happen, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still need to call the ticket office and see if they'll credit my carb day tickets same as the race day ones. But, yeah, poo poo is not looking good for Indycar.

Given the total lack of progress on the country as a whole, I'm legit not going to be surprised if the 2021 500 is still a mess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

May, Maugust, Moctober?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What are the odds we actually get 14 races this year?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Gabby Chaves should probably set his privacy settings on Strava.

Is it showing everywhere he stops to change someone's oil?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1tiLNGEAwY

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

I have not been alive for a new track record

Unless there's been a lot of sandbagging going on still, you're not going to see one here either. There's a big gap between 232 on one lap and 236 across four.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't know about the fastest single lap since Arie's 237.498 in '96, but the fastest four lap average since then is Dixon's 232.164 in 2017 with the Honda aerokit. Given that the lap speeds usually decrease 0.5-1MPH across the four laps, we're still a bit short of that as well. The current aerokit doesn't have the same downforce/drag ratio of the manufacturer kits.

Looking back at the pole speeds, it makes sense that they capped speeds when they did. The first 23x pole (Gurrero at 232.482 in 1992) was only three years after the first 22x pole (Mears, 223.885 in 1989).

Thanks to the 1997 IRL cars being loving poo poo, Arie also owns the slowest pole speed since 1987, and the only one below 220 since 1988.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vasukhani posted:

I think Conor is competitive, but I don't think he has the Speed to challenge Conor, much less Conor.

I loving love this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At Indy? Who ever heard of such a thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Here's hoping Marco can back that up somehow tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Guerrero in 1992, anyone else?

Also Marco on the pole rules, haters vacate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah. PT started it off as a really cringey followup to a discussion about Sipag and how Danica's "sexy shoes" were really her showing she thought he was her pick to win.

Then the production crew followed up by focusing on said shoes and let Canada's newest outed foot fetishist drop the "sexy shoes" line again.

Yeah. Gross.

I'm liking Rossi for the race right now based on pace and mentality. Whatever was happening on Marco's car has probably hosed him mentally for Sunday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Would shortening the pit wall so the attenuator is further down the straight help this? Sure seems like Indy is the worst track for cars hitting pit wall.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colton saying what's in all our hearts

E: yeah. I don't know that there's a better solution, I just don't know why Indy seems to have so much more issues with the attenuator than most tracks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He also has more victories than all of Canada.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Sato has two Indy 500 victories, Villeneuve -- the only Canadian winner -- only has one?

Don't forget notable non-winners like Scott "Sad Sack" Goodyear and Paul "Dogshit" Tracy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

I’m not convinced Dixon would have caught Sato anyway.

100% agreed. The only real question mark is whether or not Sato could have made it to the end on fuel without engaging in Rossi-style clutch and coast. As long as he could stick with regular fuel save strategies, Dixon wasn't going to pass him. Even with Sato getting backed up by lapped traffic* and Dixon on full rich, Dixon was keeping pace, not closing the gap. I don't think Dixon had enough tire left.

Also, how many people poo poo their britches in 2014 when they called a red flag with nine laps to go? It was controversial as gently caress at the time, and even then it was only 11 minutes long to clean the track and some minor SAFER repairs. This would have been a much longer red flag, with so little of the race to go that by the time you get the field gathered up, into the pits, restarted and warmed back up, you maybe have one green flag lap left? The only way a red flag with that little race left makes any sense to me is if you change the yellow flag rules around it to not count those laps. Now you have an Indy 505 or 510, and you gently caress up fuel strategy across the field.

*WHY THE gently caress WAS ED STILL ON THE loving TRACK WITH 5 TO GO? He was thirteen loving laps down and in front of a battle for the lead. TK was an absolute legend and got the gently caress out of the way. There are times to fight to stay on the lead lap, but five to go at the 500 in front of a close battle is not one of them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

What likely hurts the most for some is “well there’s no time left to do the repair because NBC will be out of TV time, and they moved the start later for TV too...”

Yeah but asking to wait an hour-plus for five laps makes zero sense. If that happened on lap one, sure, but so late in the race...eh.

With how the "post race" was treated, were they hoping for another 180+ MPH average pace race?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) why
2) please do not give lowtax money
3) and i say this as someone still rocking the milk gimp, WHY

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

running 3 cars

For this race, but next year?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

I guess they said 2 for sure with three a possibility. Both the extra cars would need to bring money, and if were gonna bring money to a team to add a car why would you bring it to Foyt and not literally any other team, so I guess we will see.

I'm assuming Foyt still has enough name / draw on his own that the checks required to buy one of those rides might be smaller than the sponsor bucks needed for, say, Veach's seat or a third RLL car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oof for Veach but given the total lack of results, not surprising.

I really do think that fuckup at Gateway was the last nail in that coffin.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Basticle posted:

race owned but also suprisingly there wasnt a single commercial break in the last like, idk 20 loving laps of the race, ?????????

They came back between commercials for less than a minute at some point, sooooo

Race ruled, which is very surprising for that track. Might need to keep one on the calendar this time of year, and maybe give them another 50 seconds of P2P.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I know it hasn't exactly been a great year for Sipag, but is he really that close to the chopping block for Penske? I thought adding McLaughlin was just going to be jumping to four cars since the IMSA team isn't going to have anything to do now.

What other free agents would be interesting to Penske?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's some bullshit.

Assuming the next 500 actually happens with fans, and that I feel comfortable traveling there to watch it, this is making me strongly rethink whether I go to Carb Day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah yes, the race that proved you can say "wanker" on US TV.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) Where the gently caress does he hide all this talent during 99% of the year
2) Wherever they put the microphone on that car needs to be where NBC puts it from now on because goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does his money and name keep him in that car when other drivers with better actual race results have lost rides? Yes.

Does that specific car exist without his money or name? No.

We're not in a scenario anymore where there's a lack of tubs, or engines, or grid slots, or anything other than "not enough teams with money to run a season". Marco's sponsors like him specifically, without him in that car there's no money and no 98.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is a good looking car but given how competitive they've been, I'm much happier to see that as another Meyer Shank car. Harvey had the absolute definition of a year that was better than his finishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's not going to keep him off of NBC, though, is it?