Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Is anyone watching the Hulu miniseries Devs, created by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Annihilation) and starring Sonoya Mizuno as a San Francisco techbro and Nick Offerman as a San Francisco techbro? Here's an article about it.

Sonoya plays Lily Chan, a programmer who works at Amaya, a tech company run by Offerman's character Forest. Various things occur. We're 2 episodes into the 8 episode run right now and the main theme seems to be centered around free will and determinism. There's also a lot of stuff about loss, loneliness, and isolation. And... Russians...

I don't know if I like it yet, but now that The Good Place is over I need something to fill the "TV about philosophy" hole in my heart so I'm going to keep watching. So far the show hasn't really delved deeply into the themes but I think it's safe to say that stuff will come sooner or later. There are some rather pretty shots and some great use of music to set the mood. Stephen McKinley Henderson plays a cantakerous older techbro and that is fun.

Already the show seems to deeply misunderstand compatibilism, which means it would fail an intro to philosophy course about free will, but I might not be giving it enough credit, since after all it has just been characters talking, and it's not clear whether we're meant to think they have any understanding of what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

enjoyed the first episodes, will watch more.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Agreed, really enjoyed the first two episodes.
And the crypto talk isn't completely stupid as is usually the case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm glad someone made this thread because now I don't have to. This show is certainly intriguing so far. Could be very good, or could completely fall apart in the second half. No way to know yet!

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm kinda taking a glance from a distance at this and waiting to see if other people say it's good. the trailer both piqued my interest and made it seem likely that it's a bunch of bullshit with its 'what is behind the mystery door' 'EVERYTHING' talk, because that usually turns out to be a bunch of crap especially when they lead with that and i didn't really pick up on anything else going on, but it's just a trailer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

large_gourd posted:

the trailer both piqued my interest and made it seem likely that it's a bunch of bullshit with its 'what is behind the mystery door' 'EVERYTHING' talk, because that usually turns out to be a bunch of crap especially when they lead with that and i didn't really pick up on anything else going on, but it's just a trailer.

They basically explain in episode two what the big secret project is, so they're not dragging that out to keep you watching.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

large_gourd posted:

i'm kinda taking a glance from a distance at this and waiting to see if other people say it's good. the trailer both piqued my interest and made it seem likely that it's a bunch of bullshit with its 'what is behind the mystery door' 'EVERYTHING' talk, because that usually turns out to be a bunch of crap especially when they lead with that and i didn't really pick up on anything else going on, but it's just a trailer.
As Tiggum points out, we already basically know what's behind the mystery door. It's not like there's zero mystery left in the show, but it's not exactly saving everything for episode 8 or whatever.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This is a cool show. Gorgeous and creepy. I'm surprised at how much they're showing - I thought it would be more of a mystery re: the disappearance, and I didn't think we'd actually get inside Devs already (if we ever did).

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The first two episodes are fantastic. First time in a long time I've actually been surprised by a movie or TV show. Great cinematography. I love Garland's languid style, which lingers without being over the top like Refn.

It's definitely the kind of show that could devolve into a confusing mess of nonsense by the end and I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. But since it's Alex Garland and not Alex Kurtzman or JJ Abrams, maybe it won't.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
One thing I'm enjoying about this show is how it portrays the really odd class interactions seen in SF right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've yet to see Alex Garland jump the shark, so I'm not going to predict it's gonna happen until proven otherwise. I wonder if he's directing on all of them? I was surprised to see he did both of the episodes. I was expecting it to feel a bit cheaper/lesser than Ex machina or Annihilation with it being a TV show but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Absolutely loved the first two episodes.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Yep, Garland directed all eight episodes. Should be good. I enjoyed the first two so far. It's funny, at first I was kind of disappointed (?) to know what was going on so early, but I blame Abrams style Mystery Box bullshit for training me to expect that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not gonna lie I feel like I only have a vague understanding of what they are working on. Basically being able to witness everything that happens through all of time? History and future?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 10, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not just that but grappling with the reality of a deterministic universe where they can see the future, maybe even their own future actions and understand that they are unable to change the outcome.

The machine seems to give visual projections such as when they witnessed the crucifixion of Jesus. Nothing indicated about what constraints there are outside of vague murmurings of not managing a fully accurate simulation when pushing certain boundaries (time?)

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 10, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing I am most curious about is how they can, or if they will explain that the future is pre determined in a satisfying way. Seems impossible imo.

E: I should probably spoiler these posts lol.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Not gonna lie I feel like I only have a vague understanding of what they are working on. Basically being able to witness everything that happens through all of time? History and future?

Remember Sergei's presentation from the first episode? It appears that the Devs machine can simulate and predict what anyone is going to do/has done.

If anyone finds the free will stuff interesting Ted Chiang has a short story ("What's Expected of Us") on the subject in his latest book of short stories, Exhalation.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yup totally thought of that story when watching. One of my favorites from that collection.

This is one of the few shows I wish they had dropped in one batch so I could just watch the whole drat thing now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

The thing I am most curious about is how they can, or if they will explain that the future is pre determined in a satisfying way. Seems impossible imo.

I don't think there's much to explain, the idea that the universe is deterministic is one of the less fantastical things in the show. The premise I think is more about the effects of the certainty of that knowledge on the human psyche. It's depicted as an invert of a religious realization, a sort of ultimate nihilism.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Since they were saying stuff like "it doesn't matter if you smoke" I suspect that they have already used the machine to look into the future and see some sort of disaster. So the actual intent of the project will be to break determinism and manage to change things in the future, and maybe also the past (Ron Swanson will definitely try to bring his daughter back to life).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

Since they were saying stuff like "it doesn't matter if you smoke" I suspect that they have already used the machine to look into the future and see some sort of disaster. So the actual intent of the project will be to break determinism and manage to change things in the future, and maybe also the past (Ron Swanson will definitely try to bring his daughter back to life).

I took it more to mean that it doesn't matter because what will happen will happen. If free will doesn't exist then your existence doesn't have.. I dunno, meaning? Dying of lung cancer is simply a perceived effect of what is actually just atoms bouncing around the universe, and those atoms will keep bouncing after your illusion of awareness ends.

The focus on the past events makes me think the show is more about changing or simulating the past to bring back the daughter but you could be right on the change the future concept.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
When I saw the scene with the quantum crucifixion in order to wrap my head around the wacky mix of science and religion I couldn’t help but think back to the thing in Contact where the first message they get from aliens is encoded in a Hitler speech.

They randomly tuned the thing to the filming of The Last Temptation of Christ or Life of Brian maybe? But otoh I guess they “know” it was 2000 years old so the show does presuppose three people being crucified together has some kind of great significance that we the audience should see it first on the big screen rather than something more easily verifiable like the Kennedy assassination?

Not trying to dance around it honestly but it’s a big elephant and it just seems unlikely that this is a show where everyone is on the same page, ah yes Jesus of Nazareth this thing does work! :science:

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

When I saw the scene with the quantum crucifixion in order to wrap my head around the wacky mix of science and religion I couldn’t help but think back to the thing in Contact where the first message they get from aliens is encoded in a Hitler speech.

They randomly tuned the thing to the filming of The Last Temptation of Christ or Life of Brian maybe? But otoh I guess they “know” it was 2000 years old so the show does presuppose three people being crucified together has some kind of great significance that we the audience should see it first on the big screen rather than something more easily verifiable like the Kennedy assassination?

Not trying to dance around it honestly but it’s a big elephant and it just seems unlikely that this is a show where everyone is on the same page, ah yes Jesus of Nazareth this thing does work! :science:

If you're trying to simulate a scene from 2000 years ago, I'm having a hard time thinking of something more immediately recognizable to the average audience member. I don't think the religious aspect is any more meaningful than that. What else does your average Joe know about 2000 years ago? Even something like Caesar crossing the Rubicon would just be blurry dudes walking through a river.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PopetasticPerson posted:

If you're trying to simulate a scene from 2000 years ago, I'm having a hard time thinking of something more immediately recognizable to the average audience member. I don't think the religious aspect is any more meaningful than that. What else does your average Joe know about 2000 years ago? Even something like Caesar crossing the Rubicon would just be blurry dudes walking through a river.

I guess I was thinking something along the lines of “I work in silicon valley and want proof of my quantum computer’s ability to look very far back in time so what I’ll do is set it to 0 BCE oh idk Rome-ish and then get an image of three guys on crosses just as I, a jaded computer scientist would have expected. The real problem though is this is blurry and I wanted to contest Popular Mechanic’s vision of homely Jesus.”

I get what you mean about it being a visual shorthand though and am probably thinking way to hard about something that will doubtless be explained.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zachack posted:

I took it more to mean that it doesn't matter because what will happen will happen. If free will doesn't exist then your existence doesn't have.. I dunno, meaning? Dying of lung cancer is simply a perceived effect of what is actually just atoms bouncing around the universe, and those atoms will keep bouncing after your illusion of awareness ends.
It's not so much that determinism eliminates meaning, it's just that if you know that the future is already written then there's no point worrying about whether or not you're going to die of lung cancer; either you will or you won't and there's nothing you can do about it so you may as well smoke.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I assumed it was just some random crucifixion. Obviously you see a crucifixion and think of Jesus, but it doesn't necessarily follow that we were seeing that specific crucifixion or that that specific crucifixion even happened in the show's reality. The point is that we're seeing a scene from ~2000 years ago so it just had to be something that we, the audience, would associate with that time as a visual shorthand.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veni veni veni posted:

E: I should probably spoiler these posts lol.

From what I've gathered, they're saying the future is predetermined because all the variables are already set. They know what choices you're going to make because they've mapped your life and thousands of similar lives and can make a 99.91% accurate guess because they've run the numbers. Same as Sergei's team and the nematode.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tiggum posted:

It's not so much that determinism eliminates meaning, it's just that if you know that the future is already written then there's no point worrying about whether or not you're going to die of lung cancer; either you will or you won't and there's nothing you can do about it so you may as well smoke.

I assumed it was just some random crucifixion. Obviously you see a crucifixion and think of Jesus, but it doesn't necessarily follow that we were seeing that specific crucifixion or that that specific crucifixion even happened in the show's reality. The point is that we're seeing a scene from ~2000 years ago so it just had to be something that we, the audience, would associate with that time as a visual shorthand.

I think the lack of point in worrying ties into the nihilism of predestination, and Ron's internal clash between knowing that the murder was inevitable but also feeling bad because he was conditioned to.

And the crucifixion scene was supposed to be Jesus, there were three crosses. I guess in Devs universe it could be Jessus the Clumsy's crucifixion but visually it's definitely supposed to be commonly interpreted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Episode 3 chat:

Kind of funny, I thought that the scene where the security guy turns around and sees Lilly on the ledge was a plot hole because how could her friend miss her walking past the window?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

muscles like this! posted:

Episode 3 chat:

Kind of funny, I thought that the scene where the security guy turns around and sees Lilly on the ledge was a plot hole because how could her friend miss her walking past the window?
Haha yes I thought the same thing. In fact the plan was probably for her friend to "notice" her at some point if nobody walked along below, I bet.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The impression I was getting is that they are using AI to predict the state of every atom in the known universe at any point in time so as to view what happened and when.

so a photo a zombie unicorn loving your grandmother could theoretically be generated by their computer, and every variation of that scene from every possible angle with every variable possible.

the implications of a computer that could apply such a theory to history and view basically the state of every atom in the known universe at some point in time is pretty scary - on one hand it would mean you could solve literally any crime ever, but it would also mean the end of privacy.

it seems they are then extrapolating that out to attempting to predict the future?

I was initially feeling like the scene in the security office was really poorly acted until i realised she was actually acting that she was acting. then it made sense.

shows good.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Between the discussion last episode of how it would take machine larger than the universe to perfectly model the universe (and Katie's rather flippant dismissal of that) and Forest's red eyed obsession with determinism, I wonder if his advanced tech has revealed to him that the universe they live in now is, in fact, a simulation run by a larger, more complex reality. Probably not but could be an interesting juke.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I love the song choice of Age of Aquarius. Really tied together the relatively ancient bay area boomer consensual hallucination with Lily Chan and her thoroughly modern problems. I couldn't help but think of the youtuber Vihart and her fibonacci videos, going mad listening to numbers stations or w/e.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Laserface posted:

I was initially feeling like the scene in the security office was really poorly acted until i realised she was actually acting that she was acting. then it made sense.

shows good.

I was initially concerned they were playing the "Lily has a history of psychotic breakdowns" thing straight, maybe into some involuntary institutionalization plot-line, and disappointed with how trusting Lily was of her supervisor (given that she's been portrayed as pretty sharp and I really wanted the protagonist to not be an idiot), and annoyed at her friend's betrayal of her... so it was a nice to see the twist mid-episode.

I'm liking this show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Laserface posted:

it seems they are then extrapolating that out to attempting to predict the future?
They're explicitly not doing that. That was one of the rules: no looking at the future and no invading privacy. Although that might be a potential goal, it seems like Forest is more (or exclusively) interested in revisiting the past - and perhaps changing it? Or possibly just working out a way to "beat" determinism; to get off the rails.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tiggum posted:

They're explicitly not doing that. That was one of the rules: no looking at the future and no invading privacy. Although that might be a potential goal, it seems like Forest is more (or exclusively) interested in revisiting the past - and perhaps changing it? Or possibly just working out a way to "beat" determinism; to get off the rails.
Yeah that's the rules, but just like in any other tech company the rules are bullshit. If the universe is deterministic then looking into the future just means calculating in the other direction. They're already capable of doing it and already have.

Forest seems utterly resigned to his fate, every word that comes out of his mouth is said with a bored resignation. There's no hope there, the technology and scientific theory that once gave him hope has instead utterly ripped every last bit of it away from him. When he said that alternate universes weren't real to Sergie he wasn't trying to throw him off track, he already knew he was going to kill him. He said it because he knows and believes it.

Maybe there will be a mcguffin and they'll quantum singularity themselves into an alternate timeline or something equally dumb, but I don't think that's what this show is shooting for.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I really, really like this show. A good blend of Garland's tendencies so far and it's a perfect fit for FX's more artsy streak.

Agreed that I really didn't like what they were doing with Lily's character in episode 3 but the wife and I laughed with relief when the reveal happened. Episode saved.

Also, thread title: Devs: That's transcendentally weird, Lily.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I dig this show a lot and that “pop” near the end of ep 2 :stare:

The intro to Ep3 was cool as helllll.

It’s a show I don’t watch on my monitor or ipad instead waiting to watch on my proper tv too, it looks great. Especially the machine.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

priznat posted:

I dig this show a lot and that “pop” near the end of ep 2 :stare:

The intro to Ep3 was cool as helllll.

It’s a show I don’t watch on my monitor or ipad instead waiting to watch on my proper tv too, it looks great. Especially the machine.

Heck yes.

I’m never going to rewatch Monroe on Miller but I enjoyed watching it and imagining the nerds who put that together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really not loving the weekly schedule on this. Wish I had more willpower. I'd just wait and binge the rest. Realistically I'll just keep watching it and be annoyed I can't watch the next episode yet.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Definition of broadcast television for 200

Wacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
show's good. sonoya mizuno was the best part of maniac, so i'm excited to see what she does in this.

i'm getting the sense that nick offerman is trying to create a 'golden path', a la dune. devs' thesis on determinism seems to be that if you forecast backwards to unpack and analyse all the various causes of past events, you can create a model that predicts future ones. which is of course wrong, but it's a fun idea so whatever.