Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was the original Y wing designed with the intention of it being a ship with all of it's armor stripped off, or was it just a very greebly ship design that was later given that backstory since everything in SW needs a backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
More like (OH FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY GOD WH)Y-Wing

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

Was the original Y wing designed with the intention of it being a ship with all of it's armor stripped off, or was it just a very greebly ship design that was later given that backstory since everything in SW needs a backstory.

The latter

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

They were originally just "here's a shape and it's not an x and sure let's make them primarily bombers since we need ships that shoot missiles"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

More like (OH FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY GOD WH)Y-Wing

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TYE-wing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's the one also known as a DIE-wing right

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate this.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

silvergoose posted:

That's the one also known as a DIE-wing right

yeah and its also called a why fighter which i think is funny

everyone hates it in universe too

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 9, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Uglies were some of the funniest ships mentioned in the xwing series, just because every single pilot was like "why why would anyone consent to strapping themselves into those death traps"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure I've read about the makers of the original Y-Wing model were very conscious about it showing off more of its junk than the other ships. Having predecessors with a bunch more plating seems like a good way of linking the style of the prequels which had much more smooth shapes with the junky style of the original trilogy.

Not that it ever made much sense what the technological implications of having or not having plating would be. I think some fluff books said it was better for quick maintenance. There was also the whole thing where Jedi starfighters needed external hyperspace rings, which I don't know if that's a full technological limitation for smaller ships throughout the galaxy or if the Jedi order were just cheap about their ships.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

it was probably because people were complaining about technology in the prequels looking more advanced i think

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The hyperspace rings were such a great idea for showing that the older republic tech looked sleek and cool but was fundamentally worse than the OT-era hardware

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They're non-atmosoheric bombers, so no need for armour, or aerodynamics. Just a cockpit, some propulsion, and a gently caress-ton of bombs.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i actually like the clone wars y wing. its clearly a variation on the original but still manages to be distinct. you can see its from an era where everything was sleeker and shinier but its also interesting to compare to the original design. you can infer they removed the armor for more speed because the rebels cant fight their enemies head on unlike the republic and they probably turned the armor into scrap metal because they need all the materials they can get. so yeah they made the y wing again but its not just the same thing and actually adds to the original design. compare to the sequel x wing. its an x wing i guess

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Because wing

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
When I was a fetus I grew up poor and the Y-Wing was my favorite ship because it looked busted and lovely like our crappy family station wagon, so I figured the Rebellion was made up of broke rear end folks that I could relate too who were struggling to climb a social ladder that was missing half it's rungs, just like everyone around me in real life.

But in my heart I knew I would have turned my back on my people and sold out to the Empire for a fat paycheck, a fast fighter, and a flashy helmet. Eventually I did basically that, but I keep a Y-Wing model on my desk so I can look down on my childhood with disgust and I kick another rung off the ladder.

So what's all you guys favorite ship? ^_^

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 12, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Oops. this quote was no edit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Y Burn.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hitting TIEs with the plasma bombs in Rogue Squadron was the best. Eat poo poo, dumpfuck!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Here's a thing, they did basically the reverse thing to the Y-Wings with the CIS capital ships and the Mon Calamari Cruisers. Instead of taking off armor, they added a bunch of extra bits and plating.

Stylistically, the Separatist ships have a lot of round ships to contrast with the Republic's straight triangles the same way that the Rebel ships contrasted with those same Imperial triangles, only they're also bristling with dark antennas and techy bits to denote being more sinister. There's also the whole fishbone dynamic.

The in-world explanation is a bit more confusing, the aquatic Mon Calamari were in business with the Quarren, the other species on their planet who lived on the surface (and are also the ones who look like squids), and in the Clone Wars, the Quarren sided with the CIS while the Mon Cals stayed with the Republic, so the Quarren wound up taking a lot of Mon Calamari designs to the Separatists to produce independently. And then the Separatist ships could leave out the water features and even leave a lot of bits without internal pressurization because the bulk of the crew were droids, and vulture droid starfighters could just cling to the ship, even just stay tucked in a big open piece of hull like bats.

Possibly the Rebels also up-armored their capital ships at the same time as stripping their bombers and fighters, since the whole point of those fast fighters was to quickly get in and get out, fleeing back to the safety of the hanger. In the old EU the Mon Cal ships were originally meant for deep space exploration and pleasure cruises before being overhauled for war, but in the new canon, there's a whole thing where they were underwater skyscrapers that escaped the planet when it came under imperial rule.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
all the Mon Cal ships make me want to buy into Armada

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zoran posted:

The hyperspace rings were such a great idea for showing that the older republic tech looked sleek and cool but was fundamentally worse than the OT-era hardware

I figure you can sort of handwave it as a sort of a galactic society that values aesthetics getting into it's first full-scale war in a long time and hanging on to their desire for their tools to be beautiful, versus a nakedly authoritarian regime building intimidating, functional tech at huge scales to occupy a whole galaxy to fight insurgents who need similarly rugged, functional tech. Sort of like the difference between this:

And this:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The original Ralph McQuarrie concept model was definitely supposed to evoke more of a TBD/TBF WW2 torpedo bomber feel, but this got toned down into the final movie version, which had lost its second seat (but somehow not the turret). When the team making the Clone Wars version got to work, they made a big deal of making sure all the panel lines on the Rebel-era ships matched up to the full-enclosed Republic version.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No one knows that when you are in the midst of a tornado throw your paratroopers in the air and wish them luck in the next county. No wings necessary.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
loving love Y-wings. Easily my favourite ship.

What's the in-universe reason for their appearance in Rise of Skywalker, though? I get the Rebellion holding onto old ships from the Clone Wars as long as they can, but the New Republic was building new X-wings & A-wings. Did they decide 'actually, this ship is NOT poo poo. Let's keep it exactly the same, missing panels and all.'? Part of me would have liked to see a return (or at least a nod) to the new Y-wings of the Clone Wars.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Chris Pistols posted:

What's the in-universe reason for their appearance in Rise of Skywalker, though?

Same as the real reason, nothing but nostalgia

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There really is a surprising lack of official fluff for things in the sequel trilogy when you go digging. I guess that's because Disney is much more barebones and heistant about its new EU. It's unwilling to greenlight people writing weird things about fictional engineering or silly stories of corporate drama.

Close as I can find is that the Resistance was on a budget of no money and the galaxy had been massively demilitarized, so I guess most of the big military engineers have been forced out of business and the Resistance has so much trouble producing its few ship models in-house with no funding, no defense industry to take advantage of or steal from, and no public support throughout the galaxy in any way, shape, or form, that they just kinda make do with their old trash designs from long ago. Never mind how Y-Wings were already clunky and outdated by the first movie.

There was a guy who did an interesting video of his own idea of what a new version of the Y-Wing could be like, after it had been long-surpassed as a bomber, and he designed it to be a long-range scout and transport. I like it since it's not only a nice little design, it essentially gives the Y-Wing the role of the X-Wing's predecessor, the ARC-170.

Zoran posted:

Same as the real reason, nothing but nostalgia

I feel like it's very generous to just call it nostalgia. It's not just being creatively bankrupt, it's being utterly terrified of swaying from the old and potentially having the fanbase react unfavorably to any kind of notable creative choice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

y wing good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I couldn’t pick between the OT starfighters. They are all so good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

y wing good

y kant ozma wing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

I figure you can sort of handwave it as a sort of a galactic society that values aesthetics getting into it's first full-scale war in a long time and hanging on to their desire for their tools to be beautiful, versus a nakedly authoritarian regime building intimidating, functional tech at huge scales to occupy a whole galaxy to fight insurgents who need similarly rugged, functional tech. Sort of like the difference between this:

And this:

What is that second one? I want it.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I couldn’t pick between the OT starfighters. They are all so good.

Not the Z95 headhunter, that thing is a POS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The bombing missions were the most fun in Rogue Squadron.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Poopernickel posted:

Not the Z95 headhunter, that thing is a POS

I think that's an EU invention?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

y kant ozma wing

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think that's an EU invention?

Yeah but the sort of super super early EU that made it into canon eventually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not (OT) original trilogy though. I was talking about X-Wing, Y-Wing, A wing, B wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

y kant ozma wing

Oswaft