Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Thirteen may not feel entirely realized yet, but I feel like there's a lot of subtle little beats that fill out a lot of her personality.

Things like immediately apologizing when she misreads a situation, linking everyone up in prayer in the Tsuranga Conundrum while not leading it herself, being openly fearful of the Dalek once it isn't around to hear her big statements.

There haven't really been any Big Character Defining Moments for Thirteen, but there have been enough subtle ones that not only am I fine with that, I feel like one... can't really happen. Thirteen isn't special in ways that lend themselves to big speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

Thirteen may not feel entirely realized yet, but I feel like there's a lot of subtle little beats that fill out a lot of her personality.

Things like immediately apologizing when she misreads a situation, linking everyone up in prayer in the Tsuranga Conundrum while not leading it herself, being openly fearful of the Dalek once it isn't around to hear her big statements.

There haven't really been any Big Character Defining Moments for Thirteen, but there have been enough subtle ones that not only am I fine with that, I feel like one... can't really happen. Thirteen isn't special in ways that lend themselves to big speeches.

Sure, but the episode plots have mainly been tedious poo poo, which is my main problem with the writers and showrunner so far. Compared to any other doctor the ratio of Good Episode:Absolute Dogshit is way way off, and its nothing to do with the cast, who are uniformly good. They are just given piss all to work with.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

That's fair. In the sense of "will keep all the bandaids from coming off at once and Pet Island from dropping into the sea unexpectedly" then yeah, I could see it.

Sorry, we had to jettison the swimming pool.

Chokes McGee posted:

Going from "She's my carer, she cares for me" to "BECAUSE IT'S KIND!! :byodood:" is a loving journey and worth every step.

Capaldi's arc is what CBakes would have been in a just world where he'd had a couple more seasons and Trial never happened.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Android Blues posted:

The Capaldi run is my favourite of the revival, I think. I actually like S3 least, in part because I think the 12/Clara dynamic is super compelling and absolutely sizzles, this best friends plus master-pupil dynamic where the pupil is eager (and perhaps ready) to become The Master.

ftfy :twisted:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A lot of Thirteen's best moments were the small things, rather than big bombastic speeches against impossible odds

"We want certainty. Security. To believe that people are evil or heroic. But that's not how people are. You want to know the secrets of existence? Start with the mysteries of the heart. I can show you everything if you stop being afraid of what you don't understand, if you trust me."

"You want the whole universe. Someone who has seen it all, and that's me. I've lived longer, seen more, loved more, and lost more. I can share it all with you, anything you want to know about what you never had. Cause he's an idiot with a daughter who needs him. So let him go, and I will give you everything."

"Words matter! One death, one ripple, and history will change in a blink. The future will not be the world you know. The world you came from, the world you were created in, won't exist, so neither will you. It's not just his life at stake, it's yours. You want to sacrifice yourself for this? You want me to sacrifice you? You want to call it? Do it now. All of you. Yeah. Cos sometimes this team structure isn't flat. It's mountainous, with me at the summit in the stratosphere. Alone. Left to choose. Save the poet, save the universe. Watch people burn now or tomorrow. Sometimes, even I can't win."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One aspect I really dig about 13 is how open she is about immediately adopting or at least respectfully going along with cultural traditions she isn't herself familiar with, whether they be human or alien. One that stands out in particular to me is in Demons of the Punjab, where she's mistakenly believed the aliens to be murderous assassins but then is informed that they're penitent and devoted to giving those who die alone comfort in their final moments. The aliens take a moment of remembrance, doing a little gesture with their hands that obviously has meaning to them, and she immediately follows suits to also show her respect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Popbitch posted:

AC writes: "I was once in a lift with Sylvester McCoy. We had met him at a signing the day before and he recognised us because of my baby son who was in a Darth Vader babygro. He not only remembered his name, but made some delightful bird song noises to him when he started grizzling."

I’m assuming it’s the same sort of birdsong whistle he did in Curse of Fenric. :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I love Capaldi's characterisation in the last series because I can't get enough of people mocking academia

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, see, like, there's not consensus on anything, but people calling that episode bad is almost unheard of. It's not early in the run, so you have to wait for it. Some people, they might say that's a hell of a long wait. Personally, I think it's a hell of an episode!

I, too, like the episode set on a train :colbert:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Capaldi was not heavily involved in any of my favorite arcs or plots, nor did he have any of my favorite companions, but I think he's in my three favorite episodes that aren't a huge crossover special

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So it turns out, Louis Mahoney, who appeared as the older Billy Shipton in Blink, as well as appearing in Planet of Evil and Frontier in Space was a friend of a friend. So it was that I also found out that he passed away yesterday. :smith:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Not sure if I've posted this before, but on set, Capaldi was 100% energized by the appearance of Pearl in S10. We shot the xmas special with the... lab? and the comic book stuff? (can't remember now) mid S10 and I honestly thought he was flatter without her around, then back up to bounce right after. I only did half that series but he felt like a new man compared to S9. I can't remember the script situation in S10, but they were frequently late in S9, and Peter is a Very Dedicated Actor, so I imagine that must have caused him some frustration (certainly caused me to poo poo a few spleens).

S10 had it's own on-set problems, but he was clearly a man happy in his job when it was him and Pearl. I feel like she was robbed only getting one series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

I feel like she was robbed only getting one series.

:same: I’d had enough Clara for a while, and would have been much more happy with more Bill.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The 2016 Christmas special was shot at the same time as the 2017 series?! TV show filming is wild!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

:same: I’d had enough Clara for a while, and would have been much more happy with more Bill.

And Nardole!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pearl Mackie was great and I agree it was a drat shame she only got the one season. I preferred the 12/Clara relationship to the 11/Clara one, but 12/Bill just had a wonderful energy to it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know the characters aren’t really similar at all, but 12 & Bill really gave me 7 & Ace vibes for some reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the characters aren’t really similar at all, but 12 & Bill really gave me 7 & Ace vibes for some reason.

The semi-teacher/pupil thing is resonated in both relationships.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I can see the parallel. I think Bill more confident in herself than Ace was though, which gave her dynamic with the Doctor a bit less of an imbalanced feel. Probably partly because I think Bill was slightly older than Ace was meant to be? Ace was only supposed to be like 16 or something, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Something like that, yeah. Ace was in high school, Bill was in college (I think, I’ve only watched that season once).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bill is university age, but wasn’t enrolled there. She worked in the kitchens, and the Doctor agreed to privately tutor her.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Totally!

It's a good dynamic for Capaldi to have. It really should have been his arc earlier. We should have had one less Clara season and one more Bill.

(Who am I kidding though; we'll have 20 seasons of each with Big Finish anyway!)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I have certain opinions about Doctor Who which I will never be argued out of. One of them is that Clara should have left at the end of "Last Christmas". It was the perfect out for the character, and having the "Its a Christmas miracle! She isnt old after all, and wants to come back on the TARDIS!" ending felt like it really cheapened the episode itself. Now, there was some perfectly good stuff with Clara after that episode, but I will not be shaken in my conviction that it was the right time for her to go. While I'm on the subject, the Ponds (who are my favourite companions of the revival) stuck around about half a season longer than they should have as well, and yeah, we should have easily had another season with Bill instead of the paltry one we got.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think two years is about the right tenure for a companion. Any more than that and the dynamic between them and the Doctor has a tendency to get less interesting because they’re so familiar with each other. The best companions are always the ones that challenge the Doctor and you get a lot less of that when they’re just mates having adventures.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

2house2fly posted:

The 2016 Christmas special was shot at the same time as the 2017 series?! TV show filming is wild!

From memory (what's left of it) I finished S9 Oct/Nov 2015, started S10 May-ish 2016, and I think we filmed the first ep, emojibot, frost fair, and the haunted house one, then the xmas special, and then back onto normal eps with oxygen.

I can't believe how long ago 10 was. 9 feels like a different lifetime.

We spent so so so so much money on that bridge and you didn't really see. Another of Pickwoad's follies. I miss that man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For some reason it never occurred to me the bridge was a set. That’s magnificent. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, those are some really beautiful, detailed practical sets. Amazing that they still build that stuff for one offs.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

For some reason it never occurred to me the bridge was a set. That’s magnificent. :allears:

Same, I assumed it was a real location dressed up!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, I missed your posts in this thread, echoplex. I hope things are going well for you!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Oh heavens no. The bridge was based on a real one over the Thames but that had been demolished mid-1800s. No photographs of it existed, but there were some *etchings*. Michael being Michael, who had trained as a civil engineer in his distant youth, loving loved bridges and his brother is one of the Royal book restorers so it was of very little surprise to us when he rolled in with the actual book of plans for the bridge from 17xx or whatever that you daren't even look at, let alone touch. So the art dept worked from this book to recreate that part of the bridge at something like 60% scale. It was such a beautiful set but it was basically bursting out of the walls; we had to take off one of the walls of the TARDIS interior just to be able to film it.

Losing him is a real blow to the world of TV design.

...I wish I hadn't taken these all on a potatophone.

If there's any interest I'll do some BTS stuff of 9 later, it looks like I took a lot more photos.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Put me down as another one who didnt even think for one second that was a set!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Now I want to see the footage with sound recorded on the set where they are running around and it's just all echoey and the sound of footsteps on hollow wood while it looks like they're on solid ground.

Also I can't remember if you're still involved in the show or not, but if you are I really hope that one day you're able to get your car in there as a joke reference (follow you on Twitter).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

If there's any interest I'll do some BTS stuff of 9 later, it looks like I took a lot more photos.

Oh there is plenty of interest, please do!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
That's all amazing, thanks for sharing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In regards to that bridge (which, seriously, I had no idea it wasn't real): does stuff like that get packed back down for reuse in different productions later on or was it all one-and-done?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Anyone remember The Last Train? It was a Survivors knock-off from the late 90s written by Matthew Graham (later known for Life on Mars) which starred Nicola Walker in the lead role.

The reason I bring it up is that I found it on YouTube, started watching, and then I was like…

Oh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I see what you did there. ;)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Not a great week. :smith:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1279417485817757696

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, he WAS 103. That's the longest an actor on Doctor Who has ever lived.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/georgiaEtennant/status/1279878676453220352?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A Fourth Doctor DVD came in the mail! A story about some kind of monster who resides in a possible hole in the ground.