Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

A Fourth Doctor DVD came in the mail! A story about some kind of monster who resides in a possible hole in the ground.

Plz don’t doxx my Doctor Who/Sonic the Hedgehog fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CobiWann posted:

A Fourth Doctor DVD came in the mail! A story about some kind of monster who resides in a possible hole in the ground.

This post could refer to:
Genesis of the Daleks
Revenge of the Cybermen
Planet of Evil
Pyramids of Mars
The Hand of Fear
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Underworld
Meglos
State of Decay

and the one CobiWann probably received.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Timby posted:

I see what you did there. ;)

Totally unseen, as was my slightly more obvious attempt in S10.

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to that bridge (which, seriously, I had no idea it wasn't real): does stuff like that get packed back down for reuse in different productions later on or was it all one-and-done?

Small bits - consoles, frontages, doors and arches (anything that could be reused in a modular fashion) was usually saved, something the size of that was likely broken down into sheets and scrapped. The magic is fleeting!

Senor Tron posted:

Now I want to see the footage with sound recorded on the set where they are running around and it's just all echoey and the sound of footsteps on hollow wood while it looks like they're on solid ground.

Also I can't remember if you're still involved in the show or not, but if you are I really hope that one day you're able to get your car in there as a joke reference (follow you on Twitter).

Ah no, since Michael died it's an all new art dept. so I think my DW days are over; I enjoyed the show but two years of living out of a bag 5 days a week with a 3 hour drive every Friday and Sunday isn't something I'm keen to go back to. I regret leaving 10 - the other half and I were saving for a house so I was looking to save money by working nearer home - and I took some real bad jobs in order to do that; I didn't think it'd be MP's last series. It got me onto Black Mirror, tho, so I guess it all works out, but I would have liked to have stayed and done Capaldi's final episode.

The car got some nods throughout S9-10, some more... flagrant than others. But it would have been nice to have it parked next to the TARDIS just once!

Anyway, S9 Megadump - apologies for the quality of the photos, smartphone cameras from 5 years ago weren't all that and these were often quick and dirty reference shots for my notes.

Day 1 - 8th Dec 2014 (!) - Under the Lake prep. Just walking around taking it in. Note the TARDIS is set up for the studio tour at this point having just come off the hiatus from S8.

I suspect these doors were the first thing I designed for the show:

The white model stage of set design is still my favourite:

There was a strong visual ref to the design of Prometheus in this episode, as the art director on it had worked the Iceland unit of that film and I was a big fan of that level of SF design. These designs have not aged well at all and I was literally learning Illustrator as I did them, but my favourite part of the show was creating a new GUI every few episodes for different ships/bases. Looks like I was still using CS6 from my Apple store days too.

Vector Petroleum base going up. I think this was Stage 3. Stage 1 was the larger Location Of The Week stage, 2 and 3 were smaller ones, with 4 being the TARDIS stage (with spaces for other builds)

18th Dec - the material between the ribs was some kind of translucent fabric used for plantkeeping from memory; we used it a lot.

6th Jan 2015 - first day of filming

Doing some last minute fettling of the sets. I'd never used vinyl cutters before I didn't realise how unhappy these tiny decals were making my vinyl guy (or what a bastard they would be to apply)

Picking up Rembrandt from the printers. Michael loved classical art, his idea to insert the TARDIS roundels into the self portrait was just his way of amusing himself.

Hearse + docking bay set being built:

Control room panels going in. Again, I *hate* these now, and the printing method for them wasn't the best, but still neat to see it going in for the first time.

27th Jan - The Witch's Familiar prep

2nd Feb - first day location shooting on UTL

Control panel time - I'd learned a fair bit in the proceeding month so went for much less IN YOUR FACE in terms of the design (and learned the virtue of starting out with black and white)

The Magpie badge for the Doctor's amp - we would eventually do these in 3D but I think this (or the silver one) was the only one ever visible on screen.

This was all built off-site at an old airbase miles away, so wasn't around for this much, but it was exactly as mad as it seemed.

Sarff's ship (yes; just googled 'doctor who snake man') was a collection of spare bits put together in a charmingly ramshackle fashion. His flight console was the one from UTL redressed with strongly (ahem) Cardassian-influenced control panels. Mike Okuda has seen this, and hasn't come to my house to shank me, so I assume he is ok with this homage.

UNIT control room going in at Caerphilly castle. The design was laser etched into clear perspex and then sidelit for a very retro look. I really liked this thing.

20th Feb - the UTL Vector Petroleum hangar/control room is struck, and the main structure is set at an angle to create the Dalek base.

What's the collective noun for Daleks? Having listened to them pushed around all day, I'd say a Creak Of Daleks seems about right.

Working alone on this set could be a little bit unsettling at times (actually working alone in that studio was often a bit freaky)

This map was a HUGE detailed video file with a couple of Gerry Anderson ship blueprints worked into it; I don't think it was ever visible.

Blowing up a 1/3-ish scale TARDIS out on the backlot. That was fun to watch.

A lot of the wider shots of the Dalek complex going up were model shots with off-the-shelf Dalek toys (the R/C ones from memory). These were out of production at that point so the poor Buyers had to scour eBay for them, contact the seller to arrange an early end to the auction, and then ask them to be sent to "Doctor Who, BBC Wales..."

April 2nd - The Girl Who Died sets coming together - The core of this set would later make up the Zygon cave that was impossible to photograph on a phone back then. Re-use of the set cores was a big thing in S9.

I can't remember much about this episode - I think I spent a *lot* of time on getting Me's diarys made up, and smaller bits like this.

Due To The Unique Way In Which The BBC Is Funded, I often ended up managing video and post production graphics (which I prefer; at least that way you get some design consistency). Here I was doing something to sort out video footage of Jenna in UTL. Phones were so small then!

Kartik, our draughtsman (right). Kartik was a SketchUp genius, all of our sets were built in that to start with, with any moving or mechanical parts designed and tested as part of it. The thing about TV sci-fi is that often has lower budgets than your Lines of Duty or Bodyguards, but it gets crewed by insane, dedicated, mad people who bring feature-film level skills to these little shows.

John's got brewer's droop, he gets intimidated by the dirty pigeons, they love a bit of him

Bit of a gap here, I think I was saving stuff onto a different computer at this point, but straight into the Zygon Invasion circa early May. Little props like this were often the hardest. We needed a fine abrasive to get the branding off the toothpaste tube as any solvent remover would melt the tube. The solution was, ironically - toothpaste. I hate the smell of mint, so spending 3 hours bent over a sink in the toilets scrubbing tubes of toothpaste with toothpaste to make them look less like toothpaste was my own personal hell.

Decalling Jenna's rocket launcher. I bumped into a couple at NYCC the following year, dressed like Clara who had a replica of this; made my day a little.

Worst easter ever.

June 9th, into Trap Street production. Camera tests for the flying TARDIS scenes. You just get used to this sort of stuff.

I made so many pitches to the Set Dec to be able to buy this. To this day, it remains: not mine

V1 of the sign for the Alien medical centre in Trap St, made from stacked vinyl stencils and spray paint:

After realising that if I showed anyone this I would be deservedly sacked, I spent the weekend redrawing it. Version 2 was printed direct-to-wood with about 70% ink depth so it looked distressed and faded right out of the printer.

Trap Street coming together. There's definitely a lack of images from around this point as I sliced through my finger with a fresh scalpel while cutting up shop signs, hitting an artery, and had to be in a sling with my hand above my heart for a week. A lot of the signs had to be binned because there was so. much. blood. Trap Street would - as you probably know - be reused as the xmas street in The Husbands Of River Song so it remained standing for that. It was also used in Russell T Davies' A Midsummer's Night Dream, which was done by the S9 crew post-DW, so it paid for itself quite a few times over. I think part of it was supposed to go to the DW Museum across the bay, but sadly it never did.

These posters were done for the alien dive bar at the start of Witch's Familiar, and never really seen, so I re-used them here. Absolutely no-one noticed.

I wish I could remember the name of the artist we got in to paint up the Clara Tribute TARDIS. Beautiful bit of work, and a really nice idea.

24th June - The start of the courtyard in Heaven Sent being built. I don't recall having to do loads on this one, at least nothing scripted, so I got to spend time watching Peter on set, which was lovely. To watch those eyebrows in action for real was one of the perks of this job.

There was a lot of development work on the Clara portrait. I had to take the press shot of her, and make it look like an oil painting with various filters and overpainting, which took a week or two of trial and error. We then took off-the-shelf canvas frames, coated them in a lumpy layer of plaster, speed-dried it in the sun, and then had the image printed directly onto the plaster so that it would crack convincingly.

It gave my desk some weird vibes for a while.

For Hell Bent, we needed a new guitar for Peter - can't remember why. I remember he wanted something different to his Yamaha from UTL, but it had to have a tremolo. As the only person on the team who knew guitars I remembered he used to play a Gibson SG in The Dreamboys, so I got to pitch the Epiphone version of that with an aftermarket Bigbsy attachment.

The TARDIS manual was a challenge. As a concept it was great; the reality of doing it was that it was quite a canonical thing to do so there was a lot of discussion about how it would look. Michael had a bit of a fetish for old Rolls-Royce's (of course) having owned a few vintage ones (of course), so he was adamant that it should look like the hardback owner's manual; "because the Rolls Royce is a proper automobile, unlike a DeLorean car". So he got that. I spent about 5 days writing up pages and pages and pages of detailed English flight control operations for it out of my own head, before the producers decided it should just be in Gallifreyan. The back plate is laser-cut acrylic; I suspect it's a detail I put on to match metal plates on other manuals I'd seen. I went down to the DW Museum to photograph their console for the manual pages (which we would then use on that set)

Despite the effort, I think it was better that it was in Gallifreyan; this sort of stuff doesn't need to be written down (and scrutinised) and the tone of what I'd written was completely wrong in mind; but I don't know what would be right. I've since done manuals like this for Red Dwarf and that's a much better use of the idea.

We had a bit of a break before Husbands kicked off, so I got to clear my desk for the first time in 5 months (3rd Sept)

I was never happy with the handwriting on these.

Always remember to say hello to the upsetting casting of Greg Davis's disembodied head when going to the toilet.

I pitched moderately hard for us to do a TNG feel to the bridge of the Harmony and Redemption, and you can kind of see an element of it here:

Comparing these to the ones in Under The Lake I like to think there was quite a bit of progression over the months (the lower console is a reuse of the one from UTL, with new panels)

Not just in design, either but in process. You never really saw them in the episode but some of these panels were quite complex. The ones in UTL were just vinyl prints applied to white perspex panels (hence the washed out colours). These ones were reverse-printed on laser-cut clear perspex, with the black ink triple-printed so that only the colours would glow with the light. On the same surface as the print layer, an iPad was placed flush against it with animated graphics that matched the printed ones. Because this was all on the reverse of the perspex, it kind of looked like one giant glass panel with animated elements in the middle of it (you can see the shadow of the iPad here, but on camera it worked). In order to get this idea off the table I had to lend the show my own iPad as we couldn't afford to buy any new ones. Ah DW, how I miss thee.

A little Thunderbirds and Futurama reference in the redressed Trap Street.

Director Doug wanted the Doctor to have Aldebaran whiskey in his drinks cabinet, which makes this the first requested Trek reference in the show rather than one I just rammed in.

Speaking of The Secret Drinks Cabinet, it was so secret, that we *all* forgot about it until quite deep into series 10. By that point, a lot of the sugar solutions in those bottles had grown some very interesting spores, moulds and fungus...

*fin*

echoplex fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 6, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a real treat to see some up-close shots of these details that might have appeared for only a second on-screen. Thank you!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Love seeing the BTS stuff, you did fantastic work on the show, echoplex.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drat, echoplex, you should write a book at some point. Even if those are just quick reference photos (and even with quick little descriptions), they tell a story unlike what you usually see in film/TV documentaries. Thanks for putting them together for us!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Amazing, echoplex!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Really cool, echoplex!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, they're clearly going to have to bring the Easter special back just to fit all the Easter Eggs from that season.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

awesome

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Series 9 is by far my favorite series of nuWho. It just has so many incredible moments. It's not perfect, and can't be watched in a vacuum because it relies heavily on (some great) series 8 episodes. But it has the greatest Twelve entrance ever with him playing a guitar while riding a tank, possibly the best Capaldi era alien ever in the form of the Fisher King, the Sonic Shades (I love these), the obviously best Capaldi episode (and possibly nuWho) episode ever, two great Christmas specials, my favorite of Capaldi's outfits, the introduction of the best Tardis interior, the birth of Twelve's incredible hair, a very well-delivered Twelve speech at the end of the Zygons (though for the most part this two parter is extremely skippable).

I do think that Clara should have bowed out in Last Christmas, though, and they should have brought in Shona from that episode for the rest of series 9. I don't think you'd have to change much in the basic plot of the series. Clara already got to be in the Doctor's timestream, let Shona get to go on immortal trips with Ashildr. (Plus the Arya/Waif pairing would be ironic and neat).

There's something worthwhile in every season of Twelve, though, and I do think that Bill was a better companion than Clara. But my favorite companion of nuWho is easily Graham and could you imagine a Twelve/Graham pairing? Endlessly entertaining.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think the actual finale about the toxic relationship would work with a new companion, personally. It had to be Clara.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
I only know that Moffat was going to use Shona as the season 9 companion if Jenna Coleman decided to drop out, so I assume he already had planned out a way to make her work in the overall plot. It just probably wouldn't be about a toxic relationship for the hybrid thing where they both drive each other to extremes, but probably just a different explanation for the same results. I assume he had the basic plot outline already set because of the complexity of the 3 part finale and Ashildr episodes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I think the fact that their relationship is so close is something that's built up over multiple seasons with Clara. She's the only revival companion who becomes the Doctor's peer, rather than his assistant/love interest/kidnap-prone human pal, and that development is pretty well-earned by years of adventures. Also makes her ending perfect - she gets to be a version of the Doctor herself, rather than getting shuffled off into retirement like so many before her.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

echoplex posted:

A lot of the wider shots of the Dalek complex going up were model shots with off-the-shelf Dalek toys (the R/C ones from memory). These were out of production at that point so the poor Buyers had to scour eBay for them, contact the seller to arrange an early end to the auction, and then ask them to be sent to "Doctor Who, BBC Wales..."

On the same surface as the print layer, an iPad was placed flush against it with animated graphics that matched the printed ones. Because this was all on the reverse of the perspex, it kind of looked like one giant glass panel with animated elements in the middle of it (you can see the shadow of the iPad here, but on camera it worked). In order to get this idea off the table I had to lend the show my own iPad as we couldn't afford to buy any new ones. Ah DW, how I miss thee.

These bits are my favourites. Even after all these years, the show is only tiny baby steps forward from making monsters out of egg whisks and toilet plungers. The first one is straight from the classic era playbook for faking up shitloads of Daleks, except we've actually got on-model toys these days. :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is hard to write off companions. Killing them all seems pretty unnecessarily grim, but the old show's method of them just kind of deciding to stay wherever the Doctor happened to land when the actor was done rarely worked. Moffat doing the whole "they died, but also, they lived a full happy life" for every companion was mostly only annoying because it happened to all of them (and the first time Rory and Amy had already been given a good ending). It's not an easy problem to solve, and Clara is one of the few times it feels like it worked, up there with Mickey, Barbara and Susan, Polly and Ben, and Adric.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

It is hard to write off companions. Killing them all seems pretty unnecessarily grim, but the old show's method of them just kind of deciding to stay wherever the Doctor happened to land when the actor was done rarely worked. Moffat doing the whole "they died, but also, they lived a full happy life" for every companion was mostly only annoying because it happened to all of them (and the first time Rory and Amy had already been given a good ending). It's not an easy problem to solve, and Clara is one of the few times it feels like it worked, up there with Mickey, Barbara and Susan, Polly and Ben, and Adric.

Part of the problem is that the Doctor completely controls the TARDIS now, and RTD and Moffat went all in into the "you can always call home or pop in for dinner or just go on adventures on weekends while having a 9-5 job."

There is almost no reason for them ever to leave unless they died or were trapped like Nardole (and really, 13 could have gone back for him anytime).

The only solution would be to have the Doctor forget how to fly the TARDIS or be unable to control it for some reason, or have a companion foisted on with some arc or personal reason like Lucie Bleedin' Miller or Molly with 8. On the other hand, the Special Companion can become something tiresome like Impossible Girl Clara, who really improved when she became Just Clara.

Also nthing the thanks to Echoplex for the fantastic work. 11 year old me would have paid a year's allowance for a TARDIS Flig Manual!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

echoplex, that post was fantastic and thank you so much for making it (and of course, all your work on Who!).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Guys! Guys!

Turns out there was a creature in the pit!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLcy7W6yReo

wear

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
What a sad looking fellow

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

blurbles incoherently

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

HEEEY SHAAAAW-TYY YOU LOOK-ING SO FIIIIIIIIIIINE!"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Guys! Guys!

Turns out there was a creature in the pit!

What did they call it?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Chumblies will always be better no matter how you try to imitate them, Dalek

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
Daleks have no sofas to hide behind, so they have to improvise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ian obviously hit it with one of his patented karate chops to the head from behind.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ace, smugly: who you calling small?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
If I remember right we had to ditch the Paradigms from that episode as they wouldn't fit through the doors.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know a lot of hard work probably went into those redesigns, but man I really didn't like them at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I understand wanting to redesign the Dalek, make it scarier, change it up a bit. The bronze design that RTD brought along has been the most successful so far. It’s identifiably a dalek, but the casing is beefed up with nice detailing. Downside is that it was built to be the same height as Billie Piper, so it’s about 5 and a half foot tall.

The Paradigm Daleks were redesigned so they matched Matt Smith’s height, so they’re slightly over 6ft, but the general look is like a bubble bath bottle and contains no menace at all.

My solution would have been to scale up the bronze casing, maybe bring in the flared skirt a little (a la Remembrance style), change up the colouring to maybe a gunmetal grey, with some old school blue bumps. That would look good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still think that the Scrapyard Dalek from Resolution was a really cool design. It's not something you can really use at the Usual Dalek Story scale, but it looked nice and intimidating, and a lot of the usual Dalek retro-future jank made more sense when the context is literally 'this was made in a junkyard'.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I love the design of the paradigm Dalek's once they were repainted into the newer dark metallic colours. I wish we saw more of them.

The only thing I've never liked much is the organic eye stalk. I'd ditch that. Otherwise they make a great leader class design to compliment the copper ones.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
My favourite thing about the Paradigms is that the yellow(?) one is supposedly super important and has a special name, but it has never featured into any of the stories they've been in in any way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Raymond Cusick’s redesign is also terrible.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

My trouble with the Paradigm designs is that they're also really broad and have this weird hunched back behind the dome. They're so bulky that they look really impractical to use in anything other than really wide corridors and open spaces (well, more than regular daleks).

I agree that they'd be fine as the model for a leader Dalek, but not the regulars.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you take that hump away, they look alright.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

If you take that hump away, they look alright.

I still think that bottom skirt is too tall and it makes them look like bumper cars.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

echoplex posted:

If I remember right we had to ditch the Paradigms from that episode as they wouldn't fit through the doors.

We also didn't keep *that* many Daleks in stock, so a few were fan-made ones. I knew a few people with their own that I got in touch with, and I got to give them a filming tour as thanks for the loan, which was lovely. When stuff like that works out it makes most of the pain go away.

For a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still think that bottom skirt is too tall and it makes them look like bumper cars.

Quite fitting considering their first appearance though.