Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still think that bottom skirt is too tall and it makes them look like bumper cars.

Would have fit right in with Donna's Dance Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't understand the need to make the Daleks bigger in the redesign. Their size has relatively little to do with how scary they are.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think it's mostly just because a smaller Dalek is a bit harder to act alongside. Like was said, the original revival design was designed to be able to look Billie Piper eye-to-eye-stalk, so when a tall main cast like Matt Smith and Karen Gillan came in, it was more difficult to have then act around that.

Less about intimidation tactics, more about making sure your actors aren't constantly leaning and bending to look their villain in the eye.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A smaller villain has the possibility of looking cute, and the level of menace drops significantly.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
In the words of Roger Corman, "Always make the monster taller than your leading lady." (After Beverley Garland looked down at the monster and said "So you've come to conquer the world, have you? Take that!" and kicked it, resulting in Corman hastily adding a massive cone-head on top of it.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beverly Garland sounds like she rules :hellyeah:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Beverly Garland sounds like she rules :hellyeah:

She did, does and forever will

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Has there been an episode where because of an unfortunate miniaturization incident Daleks became the size of actual pepper pots?

I'd love to watch that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There was actually a Big Finish audio where that happened (of course!), where somebody was producing Dalek toys but they were actually miniaturized Daleks. There's a hilarious scene where they start menacing the Doctor/companions who run away in fear... and the Dalek can't keep up and starts yelling at them to slow down and come back :3:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1281241702150242304?s=20

The Fifth Doctor ... in The Time War??!?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

:regd08:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I wonder when we're gonna start getting boxsets of stories entirely set within that moment where that random Time Lord goes "NO SIR, ALL THIRTEEN".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't mind Dalek/Time War stories...and I know they have way more output than just that...but man...it sure seems like they do a LOT of those. I guess it sells to the more casual fans.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jivjov posted:

I don't mind Dalek/Time War stories...and I know they have way more output than just that...but man...it sure seems like they do a LOT of those. I guess it sells to the more casual fans.

Those casual fans who buy big finish products

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Those casual fans who buy big finish products

Casual big finish fans, I mean. The ones that only showed up for NuWho and Tennant and the like

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Part of it is that they genuinely get a big spike in sales if they put a Dalek in a story -- like Adam Sandler tentpole films, they help to keep the lights on.

The other is that lockdown has seriously impacted the availability of their actors -- Sylvester McCoy was meant to have a bunch of upcoming releases, but he's apparently stuck in France(!?) and doesn't have access to any kind of recording space.

Briggs has a booth at home, so he can do Daleks, Cybermen, his terrible Ice Warrior voices, etc. It's an availability thing.

(Which is also why we're getting six Davison releases so quickly in succession.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the news article for those Davison Dalek releases spells out that it was a necessity of lockdown - apparently the gimmick is its the same 4 supporting actors but playing different roles each time which is a neat way of making lemonade from the lemon that is covid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the news article for those Davison Dalek releases spells out that it was a necessity of lockdown - apparently the gimmick is its the same 4 supporting actors but playing different roles each time which is a neat way of making lemonade from the lemon that is covid.

That spoiler will be really neat if they tie it into an effect of the Time War

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sylvester McCoy was meant to have a bunch of upcoming releases, but he's apparently stuck in France(!?)

That is extremely on-brand for Sylvester McCoy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

That seems to be the implication. And we got a little of thst in one of the 8th Doctor Time War boxes, so I'm excited to see where this goes

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Voting Floater posted:

That is extremely on-brand for Sylvester McCoy.

It’s probably part of his larger plan that we don’t understand yet.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
“I am no ordinary Time Lord!” sips champagne

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

It sounds pretty similar to the first, later Trenzalor incident.

Which, uh, brings up a point I've been wondering about for a while. The Time of The Doctor undoes a lot of what happens in The Name Of the Doctor, yeah?

And we've never had much indication as to what's going on with River in the latter either, yeah?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

It sounds pretty similar to the first, later Trenzalor incident.

Which, uh, brings up a point I've been wondering about for a while. The Time of The Doctor undoes a lot of what happens in The Name Of the Doctor, yeah?

And we've never had much indication as to what's going on with River in the latter either, yeah?

She's a wifi ghost with roaming charges

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Name Of The Doctor showed Timeline A, where the Doctor died and Trenzalore was presumably razed to the ground by the Daleks right after. In Time Of The Doctor, the Time Lords created Timeline B, where the Doctor lived. The show currently takes place in Timeline B. What about things like Name Of The Doctor already having taken place in Timeline A, and Clara's presence in Timeline A being the very thing which brought her and the Doctor together in the first place for her to save his life and create Timeline B, stopping the events of Timeline A from ever having happened? Well, the Time Lords sorted that all out on the back end.

But wait! The Doctor of Timeline B went back to his first regeneration in Twice Upon A Time, and prevented the First Doctor from dying! Timeline B thus CREATED Timeline A in the first place! The original three seasons of the show up to The Tenth Planet took place in another timeline... Timeline C? So B caused C to become A, before causing A to become B. Not to mention that Clara and the Doctor were first brought together by Missy, who stabbed her previous self causing him to regenerate into her because she wanted to help the Doctor of Timeline B. Which means that Timeline B caused itself from inside itself, literally pulling itself up by its bootstraps.

It's actually kind of a relief that the entire Moffat era has now been retconned so that the Doctor was never actually in danger of dying at any point, meaning Name Of The Doctor was probably just some kind of hallucination

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Time works just fine in Doctor Who if you assume that it's chronological with the Doctor's perspectives. poo poo changes all the time, but we're following along from their perspective which is how time happens.

This is why any time we see future poo poo of the Doctor, it's more a suggestion than a rule.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor is a Time LORD, there's only one timeline and it wriggles around all over itself, contradicts itself, happens simultaneously with itself and makes absolutely no sense to anybody BUT a Time Lord (and even then, the Doctor isn't entirely sure what's going on).

When it comes to continuity, contradictions and inconsistencies in Doctor Who, I like to think about I think Gene Roddenberry's response when asked about Star Trek tech:

"How does the Warp Drive work?"
"Very well, thank you. :)"

Burkion posted:

Time works just fine in Doctor Who if you assume that it's chronological with the Doctor's perspectives. poo poo changes all the time, but we're following along from their perspective which is how time happens.

This is why any time we see future poo poo of the Doctor, it's more a suggestion than a rule.

:hai:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Name Of The Doctor showed Timeline A, where the Doctor died and Trenzalore was presumably razed to the ground by the Daleks right after. In Time Of The Doctor, the Time Lords created Timeline B, where the Doctor lived. The show currently takes place in Timeline B. What about things like Name Of The Doctor already having taken place in Timeline A, and Clara's presence in Timeline A being the very thing which brought her and the Doctor together in the first place for her to save his life and create Timeline B, stopping the events of Timeline A from ever having happened? Well, the Time Lords sorted that all out on the back end.

But wait! The Doctor of Timeline B went back to his first regeneration in Twice Upon A Time, and prevented the First Doctor from dying! Timeline B thus CREATED Timeline A in the first place! The original three seasons of the show up to The Tenth Planet took place in another timeline... Timeline C? So B caused C to become A, before causing A to become B. Not to mention that Clara and the Doctor were first brought together by Missy, who stabbed her previous self causing him to regenerate into her because she wanted to help the Doctor of Timeline B. Which means that Timeline B caused itself from inside itself, literally pulling itself up by its bootstraps.

You forgot to throw inThe Valeyard.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just watch Back to the Future Part II, I think that explains everything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
To be honest, that explanation above is perfectly in keeping with the Davros timeline stuff that somehow became part of RTD's version of the show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Astroman posted:

You forgot to throw inThe Valeyard.

tbh I'm surprised Moffat never did anything substantial with the Valeyard; the Great Intelligence mentions it but almost as a way of showing he's not as smart as he thinks because if the audience knows about the Valeyard at all they know that it isn't the Doctor. I think the aliens in Twice Upon A Time mention it? But also like in an offhand way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always like to think that the Dream Lord from Amy's Choice was essentially a background origin story for The Valeyard :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I always like to think that the Dream Lord from Amy's Choice was essentially a background origin story for The Valeyard :)

That would be good but either way the Dream Lord should have come back.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Isn't the Valeyard clone-Ten in the comics?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

2house2fly posted:

I think the aliens in Twice Upon A Time mention it? But also like in an offhand way

It was dropped in when the glass lady rattled off a list of titles for the Doctor. One of them was "shadow of the Valeyard".

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

that whole thing turned out to be in the Doctor's head while some space parasite thing was chowing on him

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Astroman posted:

That would be good but either way the Dream Lord should have come back.

That guy was in an Avengers movie a year later, so his rates probably shot up

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

That guy was in an Avengers movie a year later, so his rates probably shot up

No reason he can't have regenerated

but let's be super real here, he was barely and might have been in Captain America 1 before he was in Who I don't remember

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cap 1 was shortly after he was in Doctor Who.

Toby Jones has been in a whole bunch of prominent stuff (including Harry Potter before Doctor Who) and worked with Moffat again in Sherlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

If you count the audios he's got at least three separate origins, I think?