Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=time-lord-victorious-figurines-hero-collector

gold and silver daleks

neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm curious about the latest issue of DWM, which tackles the biggest mystery in Doctor Who history: continuity.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Continuity is only whatever I can remember.” - Terrance Dicks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Emperor orb isn’t big enough. :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Emperor orb isn’t big enough. :colbert:

It shrank in the wash and he's real self-conscious about it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

"Continuity is only whatever I can remember.” - Terrance Dicks

"Wait, the Daleks AREN'T robots!?!? :aaa:" - Terry Nation.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

"Wait, the Daleks AREN'T robots!?!? :aaa:" - Terry Nation.

"DOCTOR WHO IS REQUIRED"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Emperor Dalek looks like he’s been stung by a bunch of bees for trying to eat their honey

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Emperor Dalek looks like he’s been stung by a bunch of bees for trying to eat their honey

"OH I AM A LIT-TLE BLACK RAIN-CLOUD..."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

"DOCTOR WHO IS REQUIRED"

I’m now imagining if there was a super long game in play and Capaldi regenerated into Missy. :allears:

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’m now imagining if there was a super long game in play and Capaldi regenerated into the Derek Jacobi Master. :allears:

Fixed it for you

https://giphy.com/gifs/Zf7NTlMqshJ3q/html5

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"Sir, the Metaltron is speaking. We think it may actually be... singing?"

THE WONDERFUL THING ABOUT DAAAA-LEKS
IS DAAA-LEKS ARE WONDERFUL THINGS
THEIR WEAPONS ARE MADE OUT OF PLUNGERS
THEY'RE COVERED IN BUMPY ROUND THINGS
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! YOU'RE DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE
BUT THE MOST WONDERFUL THING ABOUT DAAA-LEKS IS I'M...THE ONLY ONE

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

"Sir, the Metaltron is speaking. We think it may actually be... singing?"

THE WONDERFUL THING ABOUT DAAAA-LEKS
IS DAAA-LEKS ARE WONDERFUL THINGS
THEIR WEAPONS ARE MADE OUT OF PLUNGERS
THEY'RE COVERED IN BUMPY ROUND THINGS
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! YOU'RE DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE
BUT THE MOST WONDERFUL THING ABOUT DAAA-LEKS IS I'M...THE ONLY ONE

"And then it makes this long wailing sound. We think it's...crying?"
"Record it and turn it into a vTube star."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Sad, minor key version of "The Wonderful Thing about Daleks" plays as the Dalek sadly drifts across the floors, eyestalk down*

Rose: I liked the old, exterminatey Dalek best.
Soldier: Me too.
Solder 2: And me.
*The Doctor stands, triumphant, happy*

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

God Tennant looks so young there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Mutants is actually a really good story, thanks for your time

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Mutants is actually a really good story, thanks for your time

It was actually the first-ever DW I saw as a kid! One summer vacation, my older brother turned it on (he'd seen an episode previously I think) when it aired on the PBS station out of Chicago. They aired DW stories in the 90-minute "omnibus" format, so six-parters like The Mutants were split into two 90-minute editions. So we caught the 2nd half, and even without knowing what the hell was going on, I was still intrigued enough as a kid to watch the show to the end.

Then I promptly forgot about it, and went on to do whatever it is that kids do on summer vacations. It wouldn't be until a couple of years later, during another summer vacation from school, when my brother once again introduced me to The Doctor (this one being all teeth and curls) that I became hooked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Who must be an absolute minefield for ‘I remember seeing this film as a kid...’

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So we caught the 2nd half, and even without knowing what the hell was going on,

The Mutants is probably one of the better ones for that because it keeps on continually raising the stakes all the way through

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It was actually the first-ever DW I saw as a kid! One summer vacation, my older brother turned it on (he'd seen an episode previously I think) when it aired on the PBS station out of Chicago. They aired DW stories in the 90-minute "omnibus" format, so six-parters like The Mutants were split into two 90-minute editions. So we caught the 2nd half, and even without knowing what the hell was going on, I was still intrigued enough as a kid to watch the show to the end.

Then I promptly forgot about it, and went on to do whatever it is that kids do on summer vacations. It wouldn't be until a couple of years later, during another summer vacation from school, when my brother once again introduced me to The Doctor (this one being all teeth and curls) that I became hooked.

I once saw The Three Doctors on a Saturday afternoon when I was like 8 or so and had some vague memories of that. Then when I was 11 I was flipping through stations late at night (again a Saturday, home of PBS DW in the 80s) and landed on Timelash and was hooked immediately. At one point I could catch 3 different runs each week, Friday at midnight, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday night. I devoured it. If I went on vacation or to grandma's I immediately hit the TV Guide to see when the local DW was showing to plan my life accordingly.

It was odd though, because due to the vagaries of PBS schedules, where they would run through til "current" (Six) and start over at Hartnell, I saw One and Two's runs a couple times, most of Three, all of Five and Six (and later Seven) but missed most of Four. T Bakes is to this day the Doctor whose episodes I've seen the least of, but I learned to appreciate him with Big Finish.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I was surprised as heck when I watched Revelation of the Daleks earlier in the year and realised it was a story I'd actually seen back when I was about 7 or so. One of my strongest memories of watching repeats of the show in the early 90s was of Davros's gross detached head in a tube, but I didn't remember anything else about the story and had merged it with Remembrance of the Daleks in my mind - for some reason the terms Imperial and Renegade Daleks had really stuck with me too. I think the BBC ran a selection of repeats in the run-up to the 30th anniversary so those stories had got all tangled together in my head.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BritBox US on Amazon has Red Dwarf: The Promised Land. I really enjoyed it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Davros1 posted:

BritBox US on Amazon has Red Dwarf: The Promised Land. I really enjoyed it.

Wasn't perfect, but was fun.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I enjoy pretty much any time they get those folks back together to check in with us save Back to Earth, 'cause they kept the same rhythm for a laugh track and then didn't have one and it's like when WWE had no crowd but still had wrestlers pause for crowd reactions for like two months.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was really offputting when I got a video of some series 7 extended episodes as a kid. Pausing every few lines in anticipation of audience laughter that wasn't there

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People poo poo on laugh tracks because shows like the Big Bang Theory used them in place of jokes, but certain kinds of shows are greatly enhanced by them.

Nobody complained that Cheers or Seinfeld had a studio audience.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

People poo poo on laugh tracks because shows like the Big Bang Theory used them in place of jokes, but certain kinds of shows are greatly enhanced by them.

Nobody complained that Cheers or Seinfeld had a studio audience.

I don't think I could watch a new show that used it now. They started to feel out of place around the time of How I Met Your Mother. They sort of worked in the Jim Burrows days because those kinds of sitcoms really did feel like a stage a lot of the time - they just sort of don't make them like that anymore. The same thing happened with The Office mockumentary device - there were a couple of shows where we just sort of accepted that was the reality, and then it started to suspend disbelief in a way that takes you out of the comedy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I admit I really like some shows with laughtracks (Red Dwarf being a big standout; The IT Crowd used to stand with it, but then Glinner poisoned it), but it by default sounds a little old-fashioned now. That's not insurmountable, but I feel like you'd have to lean into it now.

If I had to make a show that included a laughtrack, I'd deliberately make it a three-camera-sitcom throwback show in some form. Embrace the fact it feels like it was made last century.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

One Day At A Time justifies the continued existence of laugh tracks, and is exactly the kind of old-school sitcom with modern sensibilities you're talking about.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's psychological; lots of things seem funnier if you can hear other people laughing at them, because you have your own opinion "this is funny and it's okay to laugh at it" immediately validated. The act of laughing itself is often a highly social one; most people will laugh a lot less when they're watching something alone than when they're watching something with at least one other person.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I still want to see the edited episodes of MASH without the laugh tracks. I hear they're great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The only near traditional sitcom I watch these days is Brooklyn 99, and that would be very weird with a laugh track.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

It's psychological; lots of things seem funnier if you can hear other people laughing at them, because you have your own opinion "this is funny and it's okay to laugh at it" immediately validated. The act of laughing itself is often a highly social one; most people will laugh a lot less when they're watching something alone than when they're watching something with at least one other person.

It's not just that, though. The Good Place or Community would feel very strange with a laugh track, because that's not how the humor is presented. The three-camera, in front of an audience feel at least has to be there. It's not even old vs. new - I think the laugh track feels weirdly out of place in any Monty Python sketch that takes place outside. I have a soft spot for Bicycle Repair Man for example, but the laugh track sounds wooden (even though it's as "genuine" as a laugh track gets - MPFS showed video segments to a live audience for the stuff filmed outside). Sometimes the humor is enough to overcome the awkwardness of it (and there are times when the laugh track on MPFS specifically almost feel ironic, despite how standard it would have been).

I think where it gets really bad is when something tries to hit all of the beats of an old studio audience sitcom without the camera-work and the kinds of sets that obviously have that big open wall, at which point it ends up feeling like an alien watched Earth TV and tried to create something similar. I directed a play once about TV warping people in which all of the sitcoms were portrayed as horrific, and a lot of modern sitcoms feel like that when they shoot for the laugh track and whiff.

I know a lot of people love Modern Family but the "talking to an invisible film crew" thing took me right out of it. I think that device is thankfully falling by the wayside, though. Brooklyn 99 is a good example of a show that borrows some of the shots they'd do in something like Parks and Rec, but disposing of the interviews and mugging at the camera, and I think it's better for it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

I still want to see the edited episodes of MASH without the laugh tracks. I hear they're great.
They were what the BBC showed. I had no idea MASH even had a laugh track until I watched an episode on Sky years after the original run finished. It made it almost unwatchable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Modern Family but the "talking to an invisible film crew" thing took me right out of it. I think that device is thankfully falling by the wayside, though.

You should check out What We Do In the Shadows, which is also mockumentary, but hilarious.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Payndz posted:

They were what the BBC showed. I had no idea MASH even had a laugh track until I watched an episode on Sky years after the original run finished. It made it almost unwatchable.

ISTR the UK MASH DVDs had the option of playing the episodes with or without the laugh tracks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

You should check out What We Do In the Shadows, which is also mockumentary, but hilarious.

I didn't like it. :(

I watched with a group over Discord during quarantine and it just didn't click, I think because of the mockumentary thing. I know it's me though, lots of people love it (including the friends I watched it with).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

That show is also a great example of acknowledging the camera crew in key moments for greater humor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

That show is also a great example of acknowledging the camera crew in key moments for greater humor.

Yeah, I'm not at all a fan of the way shows like Modern Family incorporated mockumentary beats without actually being a mockumentary, but WWDITS does it perfectly, and almost every time they do it in a fresh, clever way.

♪ Oh documentary crew, I want to eat you so baaaad.... ♪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I'm not at all a fan of the way shows like Modern Family incorporated mockumentary beats without actually being a mockumentary, but WWDITS does it perfectly, and almost every time they do it in a fresh, clever way.

♪ Oh documentary crew, I want to eat you so baaaad.... ♪

<films from other end of the room>