Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Davros1 posted:

BritBox US on Amazon has Red Dwarf: The Promised Land. I really enjoyed it.

I have an equally long list of photos from that as I did on the S9 stuff, but there's no RD thread!

Bear in mind we still film that in front of an audience so the laughs are genuine (if not a bit generous at times). Makes a massive difference in terms of the tone and feel of the show. Also, audience nights are the best because there's kind of a free-for-all atmosphere (I get drunk at work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

echoplex posted:

I have an equally long list of photos from that as I did on the S9 stuff, but there's no RD thread!

Bear in mind we still film that in front of an audience so the laughs are genuine (if not a bit generous at times). Makes a massive difference in terms of the tone and feel of the show. Also, audience nights are the best because there's kind of a free-for-all atmosphere (I get drunk at work)
How does RD (and by extension other British sitcoms) compare to American ones during filming? I saw a Friends shoot, and if a joke didn't land with the audience someone would run out to the writers, and come back with one or more new gags five minutes later. That doesn't seem like something that would happen in the UK because of the much smaller writing teams/one writer.

(Incidentally, because the actors hadn't seen the new gags before, the chances of them corpsing went up enormously. Jennifer Aniston completely lost it over a line about putting googly eyes on the balls of a penis-shaped cake to make it look like an elephant.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Payndz posted:

(Incidentally, because the actors hadn't seen the new gags before, the chances of them corpsing went up enormously. Jennifer Aniston completely lost it over a line about putting googly eyes on the balls of a penis-shaped cake to make it look like an elephant.)

Actors corpsing is one of my favourite things. I just found this SNL video of the cast cracking up during the Californians sketch and it’s great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jJiTcubp5E

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't like it. :(

I watched with a group over Discord during quarantine and it just didn't click, I think because of the mockumentary thing. I know it's me though, lots of people love it (including the friends I watched it with).

The TV show or the film (or both)? I for one found the TV show a lot better

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The TV show or the film (or both)? I for one found the TV show a lot better

The film, I didn't even know it was a show! I'll give that a try.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I find the show much better than the film.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thank you, both, I'll give it a go.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I've only ever seen clips of the movie, but the show owns bones especially if you like Matt Berry. You will dig it I think.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

echoplex posted:

I've made threads for a couple of the newer series but they don't tend to get much traffic. Twitter dump? :D

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Thank you, both, I'll give it a go.

I'm jealous that you get to watch it for the first time.

Spoiler for season two casting behind these tags: my favourite casting thing is how they managed to sneak Matt Berry in with a cameo as a normal human character. You'd never suspect it was him though.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 30, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait.... THAT was Matt Berry? But he doesn't have a toothpick in his mouth.... are you sure? :ohdear:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Payndz posted:

How does RD (and by extension other British sitcoms) compare to American ones during filming? I saw a Friends shoot, and if a joke didn't land with the audience someone would run out to the writers, and come back with one or more new gags five minutes later. That doesn't seem like something that would happen in the UK because of the much smaller writing teams/one writer.

RD is the only sitcom I've done and it's unique I think in that it's very much a one-man show in terms of writing and directing, and our audience is pretty generous, so most gags land. When I saw Black Books being filmed they did alternate jokes if they needed to shoot a scene again to keep the audience laughing, but that felt like a planned thing. I can't imagine the pressure of having to come up with gags live like that, no thanks.

Senor Tron posted:

I've made threads for a couple of the newer series but they don't tend to get much traffic. Twitter dump? :D

Good point!

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1248371017203974145.html

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
It's been ages since I've been in these threads. You've redecorated. I don't like it. (although echoplex set photos are a delight to find)

I thought of these threads because I've been rewatching some NuWho on HBO Max and I had forgot all about the tacked on "Amy Explains The Doctor" intro for Series 6 that BBC America insisted upon. For some reason that's the version they have on Max and it's an eye-roll every time.

I am so behind on Who now because I just have not been able to get into 13, which is a shame because I love Whitaker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you already have a handle on the current TARDIS Crew dynamic then I would just skip straight to the current season. It’s similarly all over the place in quality, but the episodes are far more interesting and Whitaker has really started to settle into the role. With all the weird continuity shakeups and the more frenetic storytelling it really reminds me of a slightly subdued revisit of the RTD era.

But I also didn’t hate the finale that’s been pretty much universally panned, so YMMV.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The latest season isn’t on HBO Max yet, so TBBS will have to deal with the Battle of Who Could Care Less for now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
poo poo that’s right, I forgot I watched it on the BBCA app but I doubt it’s still available.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
After thinking about it, Chibnall’s run at Who is best described as “you can’t eat popcorn to it”. There’s adventure, yes, but not a lot of action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfw60qXtOH0

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

:siren: The animated version of Fury From The Deep is being released on 14 September! :siren:

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=fury-from-the-deep-cover-art-special-features

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fun little article about Big Finish

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...on-for-sherlock

Curious as to what TV show BF has been trying to get the rights to for 15 years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The latest season isn’t on HBO Max yet, so TBBS will have to deal with the Battle of Who Could Care Less for now.

Oh, really? I've been slowly rewatching here and there, hoping that I could get to the current season and finally watch the finale (I've been putting it off since it got panned). I guess I can wait a little longer, though, it'll likely hit HBO before any new season starts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Fun little article about Big Finish

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...on-for-sherlock

Curious as to what TV show BF has been trying to get the rights to for 15 years.

It’s something that’s very protected,” he teases. “The people involved are very careful. For them, it’s not money first.

So not Star Trek then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

It’s something that’s very protected,” he teases. “The people involved are very careful. For them, it’s not money first.

So not Star Trek then.

H2G2 was my first thought, along with maybe Battlestar Galactica.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Red Dwarf, maybe?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It probably narrows down quite significantly when you're talking about something that a) is pre-2005, b) the rights aren't owned by BF already, and c) the IP owners don't currently have a decent enough rapport with BF to justify a long negotiation process.

I'm going to guess The Saint.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

So not Star Trek then.

They tried to get the license in the past; their idea was to do a wholly original ship and crew. They were turned down.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

It probably narrows down quite significantly when you're talking about something that a) is pre-2005, b) the rights aren't owned by BF already, and c) the IP owners don't currently have a decent enough rapport with BF to justify a long negotiation process.

I'm going to guess The Saint.

Having seen the 2017 saint movie (actually 2013 reboot TV pilot retooled and released shortly after Moores death, a cynic would say in order to cash in on it) I can say that whoever has the rights to the saint doesnt give much of a gently caress about them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
You're all wrong, it's Space 1999

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

You're all wrong, it's Space 1999

They’re already doing Space:1999!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

They’re already doing Space:1999!

I was joking :stonk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’ll teach you to underestimate the BF! :smugdog:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Talking of whom...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From what I understand, it's probably Farscape.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Open Source Idiom posted:

From what I understand, it's probably Farscape.

C'mon Stargate SG1

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Chokes McGee posted:

C'mon Stargate SG1

Didn't they already have a run of Stargate SG-1/Atlantis audios some 10-15 years ago?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zaroff posted:

Didn't they already have a run of Stargate SG-1/Atlantis audios some 10-15 years ago?

https://www.bigfinish.com/search_results?search_value_selected=0&search_term=stargate

Yeah, and when MGM pulled the license, they had to immediately stop selling the CDs. Same thing happened with Highlander and The Tomorrow People (and half of a new season of TP had been recorded, and they weren't permitted to release them.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It seems like every joke I can come up with BF actually already did so

carry on!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wonder if it could be James Bond. Ian Fleming's nieces control the rights to his books, and one of them, Lucy Fleming, has acted in the BF Survivors and Counter-Measures ranges.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Curveball, it's a re-release of Monty Python's comedy albums being held back because they refuse to release it without The Sound Of John Denver Being Strangled.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Davros1 posted:

Wonder if it could be James Bond. Ian Fleming's nieces control the rights to his books, and one of them, Lucy Fleming, has acted in the BF Survivors and Counter-Measures ranges.

That's not a bad guess. I'm not too familiar with post-Fleming novels but the comics they've been putting out recently have all been of a pretty high quality. Though I suppose the state of the movies is a big mark against being protective of the property, but I guess that could all be MGM's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Red Dwarf, maybe?

That might work - Doug has demonstrated he can let other people play with his toys based on the AA ad.