Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/david-tennant-and-paul-mcgann-star-in-doctor-who-time-lord-victorious

BF's final contribution to the "Time Lord Victorious" range: a full cast story starring Paul McGann and David Tennant. The kicker? The only physical copies are on LP, available at UK Asda stores. (BF will be selling a download though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/david-tennant-and-paul-mcgann-star-in-doctor-who-time-lord-victorious

BF's final contribution to the "Time Lord Victorious" range: a full cast story starring Paul McGann and David Tennant. The kicker? The only physical copies are on LP, available at UK Asda stores. (BF will be selling a download though)

having different "sides" with different Doctors dealing with the same situation in different ways on different sides of the record actually sounds like a really cool gimmick.

it's not something my being Australian could buy physically even if i wasn't download only, but it's a neat use of the format

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Burn Gorman and Arthur Darvill? Interesting...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/HildaBaker/status/1291301028139339782?s=20

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The_Doctor posted:

Burn Gorman and Arthur Darvill? Interesting...

Darvill is in futuristic looking armor on the cover so I assume he'll be playing a character other than Rory/The Last Centurion.

It'd be interesting for Rory to be on his own without Amy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/1291789429879832578?s=20

For those keeping track ... the US DVD comes out the day before

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is not a flattering still

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I genuinely don't understand why the animated reconstructions look so awful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I genuinely don't understand why the animated reconstructions look so awful.

Probably because their budget is near-zero

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They released an Special Edition of The Power of the Daleks animation on Blu-Ray, and redid the animation, and supposedly it's much better

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv36UuCkUtg

I mean

It's more animated I guess but I'm not sure better is what I'd say

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I welcome more Sealab 2021 doctor who

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Homora Gaykemi posted:

having different "sides" with different Doctors dealing with the same situation in different ways on different sides of the record actually sounds like a really cool gimmick.

it's not something my being Australian could buy physically even if i wasn't download only, but it's a neat use of the format

I would have rather had actual interaction between the more optimistic, positive 8 and and darker parts of older 10, but I imagine this will be good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jivjov posted:

Probably because their budget is near-zero

Also because they have an animation style that's not really conducive to looking good, especially on low budgets. They need to make sure all of these people are highly recognizable as their actors, but they don't always have the best assets and resources to do that without it looking pretty shoddy. Can't exactly get Patrick Troughton to come in and take some photos to paint over.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I think there's also something fundamentally awkward about the process of having to work backwards by animating to the existing soundtrack. Things like small facial expressions and dramatic pauses just don't work as well in animation as they do in live action (at least on the budget they have), but the animators are stuck with the soundtrack they've got to work with.

I'd be OK with them taking a few more creative liberties similar to how the animators approached The Macra Terror, or how we spoke about The Space Pirates a few pages back. However, I'm sure there's a noisy contingent of fans who'd hate any attempt to streamline the scripts to fit the animated format better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RTD asks the important questions:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDoIDa6HOFV/

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"The Four Davros'" coming Fall 2021 to Big Finish! :haw:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A Rascal of Davros'

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Voting Floater posted:

I think there's also something fundamentally awkward about the process of having to work backwards by animating to the existing soundtrack. Things like small facial expressions and dramatic pauses just don't work as well in animation as they do in live action (at least on the budget they have), but the animators are stuck with the soundtrack they've got to work with.

You could create a compelling piece of animation around the existing soundtrack, but not on the cheapo budget most of these things are made for. Nobody's going to put down cash to animate a 50 year old television show, though.

I wonder if a motion comic style might not be better. Like a prettier version of telesnaps. You don't really lose anything by not having characters awkwardly move their mouths and toddle from one side of the frame to the other. Just show an actually well-drawn panel of the Doctor and the bad guy talking at each other, maybe with a couple cutaways in there. You'd probably lose less of Troughton's body language than with this style.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

We're 10 years max away from fans being able to do full CGI deepfake animations of entire episodes for free on home computers anyway.Studios spend millions on janky uncanny vailley failures of de-aging or bringing back dead actors for movies only to have fans be able to remake them better 2 years later at home for free. I wouldn't expend too much money on animation if I were the BBC either.

happyhippy posted:

A Rascal of Davros'

:golfclap:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Christopher Ecclestone is doing Big Finish!!!!

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=christopher-eccleston-big-finish

Never thought I'd see the day!!!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Very cool. There is so much to explore, like the Doctor and Rose and how they interact before the10/Rose vibe.

Also the several seasons of 9/Rose/Jack adventures that we were denied. I was so pissed when Jack left so soon.

:dance:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

One day people will spell his last name correctly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Timby posted:

Before or after people can spell Benedict Cumberbatch's name correctly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Oh thank goodness.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(That is all)

Edit: is the BF website unreachable for anyone else? I think the fandom may have crashed it

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 9, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(That is all)

Edit: is the BF website unreachable for anyone else? I think the fandom may have crashed it

Yeah, it's a wee bit intermittent at the moment, though it lasted long enough for me to pre-order the series.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
We'll end up with more Nine audios than Nine televised episodes!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if they’re getting ahead of a surprise Time Lord Victorious appearance. And of course, countdown to meeting Eight and River Song...

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Timby posted:

Eh, typos happen. Glad you found something important to focus on though!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

“This is it, I’m finally getting into Big Finish for real”, I say to myself for the twentieth time, but this time I mean it!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Holy crap

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Presumably this means either more Billie Piper and/or Jack, or it’s all going to be set when he went off for 30 seconds at the end of Rose

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Presumably this means either more Billie Piper and/or Jack, or it’s all going to be set when he went off for 30 seconds at the end of Rose

I like Jack and Rose as much as the next one, but I'd rather they stretch those thirty seconds forever, even if they need to keep giving Nine amnesia

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just saw the news and came to say congrats dr who thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

I like Jack and Rose as much as the next one, but I'd rather they stretch those thirty seconds forever, even if they need to keep giving Nine amnesia

He's popped off and left Rose for a few minutes here and there, plenty of time for new adventures and companions. Ten did it!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He's popped off and left Rose for a few minutes here and there, plenty of time for new adventures and companions. Ten did it!

Also in Aliens in London when he took the TARDIS to Albion Hospital. He could've had loads of adventures!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

Also in Aliens in London when he took the TARDIS to Albion Hospital. He could've had loads of adventures!

Yes! Decades of adventures!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Eight left Sam for 2 years (a couple of hours from her perspective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:o :o :o