Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Afternoon, thread! What's popping off in—

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Christopher Ecclestone is doing Big Finish!!!!

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=christopher-eccleston-big-finish

Never thought I'd see the day!!!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vinylshadow posted:

I like Jack and Rose as much as the next one, but I'd rather they stretch those thirty seconds forever, even if they need to keep giving Nine amnesia

Does anybody really care (yes, I realize the answer is yes, people care a lot about continuity for some reason) if you can't slot stories neatly between episodes? If you've got an idea for a cool story where Nine and Rose go to Space New Orleans, just do it. At that point, you might as well demand an explanation for why Billie Piper sounds like she's aged fifteen years.

For whatever else I have to say about them, it sounds like Big Finish is a healthy work environment and everybody enjoys doing it, so I hope Eccleston has a good time there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
They probably promised him home delivered Big Finish lunches.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rochallor posted:

Does anybody really care (yes, I realize the answer is yes, people care a lot about continuity for some reason) if you can't slot stories neatly between episodes? If you've got an idea for a cool story where Nine and Rose go to Space New Orleans, just do it. At that point, you might as well demand an explanation for why Billie Piper sounds like she's aged fifteen years.

The first story in The Ninth Doctor chronicles was set pre-Rose, so anything is possible

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

RTD wasn't as liberal as Moffat with giving BF space to throw stories in, but there's a lot of room between episodes with Jack/Rose/9, and while it was heavily implied 9 had just regenerated in Rose, it's not necessarily so. There's room for a lot there, though it'd probably be solo adventures or one off companions because IIRC he may have said onscreen he hadn't traveled with anyone til he brought Rose on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if they'll bring Adam in for a story. I know they did that for the Chronicles release....but they could squeeze another in.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought Bruno Langley went to jail for something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

RTD wasn't as liberal as Moffat with giving BF space to throw stories in, but there's a lot of room between episodes with Jack/Rose/9, and while it was heavily implied 9 had just regenerated in Rose, it's not necessarily so. There's room for a lot there, though it'd probably be solo adventures or one off companions because IIRC he may have said onscreen he hadn't traveled with anyone til he brought Rose on.

They just have to have Nine avoid any and all reflective surfaces until he meets Rose.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

I thought Bruno Langley went to jail for something.

Looking it up, he apparently pleaded guilty to sexual assault a few years ago :yikes:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just tell good stories regardless of if they fit exactly within the timeline of the show :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Astroman posted:

Rose also implies that he's had a bunch of off-screen adventures that turn up on Clive Finch's website and you can squeeze in a lot of stuff in the few seconds before "By the way did I mention it also travels in time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-R1lfycmw

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh. Well maybe don't bring Adam back for anything then. Then again, that comic crossover with him is probably more than enough Adam anyway

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

Oh. Well maybe don't bring Adam back for anything then. Then again, that comic crossover with him is probably more than enough Adam anyway

That was Tony Lee, wasn't it? So much bloody fanwank.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Big Finish, if you’re listening: have the Ninth Doctor explain why he stopped being a vegetarian.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I missed this one?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Christopher Ecclestone is doing Big Finish!!!!

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=christopher-eccleston-big-finish

Never thought I'd see the day!!!

I got more Eight on TV in 2013 and I'm getting more Chrissie E in 2020

All my DW dreams are fulfilled

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Barry Foster posted:

I got more Eight on TV in 2013 and I'm getting more Chrissie E in 2020

All my DW dreams are fulfilled

We're almost there, once I get my 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 crossover - then we're cooking with gas.]

edit: Well poo poo while we're dreaming we can throw Peter Purves' 1, Frazier Hine's 2 and Treloar's 3 in the mix as well. Now we just need a John Hurt impersonator and my life is complete.

McGann fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 10, 2020

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Edward Mass posted:

Big Finish, if you’re listening: have the Ninth Doctor explain why he stopped being a vegetarian.

After wiping out your own species, sometimes you just need a good steak

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Super glad he feels comfortable getting back into the role. I hope he enjoys the lunches and stays on to record tons of stories. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s talk that Eccleston has story approval.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That's probably a good thing. He seems to have good taste and it means he'll be enthusiastic about his involvement.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Super glad he feels comfortable getting back into the role. I hope he enjoys the lunches and stays on to record tons of stories. :)

He does seem to be a man who respects and appreciates a good work environment, and I gotta say - my gripes about recent writing notwithstanding - it seems like literally everyone who has ever worked there has loved it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

All the Doctors have that to some extent. BF asks them what kind of stories they'd like to do, or what kind of ideas they'd like to explore. One reason we have the running gag of the Eighth Doctor going through mental trauma was because it was a request from McGann. Davison likes historicals. Colin, when he signed on, told them that he wanted the stories to soften the character of his Doctor than how he'd been written for on the TV series. When BF was crafting the "I, Davros", mini-series, Terry Molloy was kept in the loop about the storylines and the direction of Davros, and provided feedback. David Warner told them that he doesn't want to play villains.

And of course, there's the famous Tom story of meeting with Nick Briggs and David Richardson to talk about ideas for series 1 and 2 of the Fourth Doctor adventures. Tom had a legal pad full of story ideas that he read off of, and later, when Tom was out of the room, Nick took a peek at it to make sure he hadn't missed anything. The pad was blank.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

And of course, there's the famous Tom story of meeting with Nick Briggs and David Richardson to talk about ideas for series 1 and 2 of the Fourth Doctor adventures. Tom had a legal pad full of story ideas that he read off of, and later, when Tom was out of the room, Nick took a peek at it to make sure he hadn't missed anything. The pad was blank.

lmao I love this goofy show and all of its behind-the-scenes weirdness.

Like, normally I'd guess this was apocryphal, but the only thing that could have been more Tom Baker is if it had just had "Rosie Ball" written on it, underlined.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hahaha that's amazing.

BF Six is a totally different, far superior version of the character. I'm so happy Colin finally got to play him his way, if BF had did nothing else that alone makes it all worthwhile

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

lmao I love this goofy show and all of its behind-the-scenes weirdness.

Like, normally I'd guess this was apocryphal, but the only thing that could have been more Tom Baker is if it had just had "Rosie Ball" written on it, underlined.

He was later asked about the pad in an interview, and his response was "I don't know what I was thinking."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One day Tom Baker will just vanish into the ether, leaving nary a trace that he had ever even been on this planet.

The only evidence that he has left will be that all of the pubs will be dry

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

BF Six is a totally different, far superior version of the character. I'm so happy Colin finally got to play him his way, if BF had did nothing else that alone makes it all worthwhile

I thought Colin's acting was a part of the problem with Six's run until I heard some of his Big Finish run, and he turned into my favorite Doctor to listen to (I haven't gotten to Tom's stories yet, or any of the New Who Doctors). Big Finish Six has a sentimental love for his companions that I don't think the TV show has ever really nailed yet. The sad way that he has to say goodbye to Charlie in particular is really well done. I'm glad he got a second chance at the role without all the baggage from his TV era.

Davros1 posted:

He was later asked about the pad in an interview, and his response was "I don't know what I was thinking."

lmfao

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

Obviously Tom has access to psychic paper.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TL posted:

Obviously Tom has access to psychic paper.

Which means that Tom 100% wanted them to see nothing, even if there was something there.

That tracks

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

That man is such a treasure :allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I thought Colin's acting was a part of the problem with Six's run until I heard some of his Big Finish run, and he turned into my favorite Doctor to listen to (I haven't gotten to Tom's stories yet, or any of the New Who Doctors). Big Finish Six has a sentimental love for his companions that I don't think the TV show has ever really nailed yet. The sad way that he has to say goodbye to Charlie in particular is really well done. I'm glad he got a second chance at the role without all the baggage from his TV era.

Yeah, BF Sixie is big hearted and warm, which really leavens his bombast, and he does outright moral indignation better than any other Doctor. He can still be prickly and pompous, but he's really, deeply sympathetic to other people, and takes a kind of professorial delight in the things he encounters.

C. Bakes is my favourite audio doctor, with McGann a close second.

At least until Eccleston returns :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Not gonna lie, but 9 is my least favorite revival Doc, probably for the same reason I could take or leave 4 before I started his Audios--I have seen very little of him. With 4 it was the vagaries of my local PBS schedule, with 9 it's of course because he just had the one season.

Looking forward to seeing how he and Big Finish expand on the character and he becomes my new favorite. :D

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

Not gonna lie, but 9 is my least favorite revival Doc, probably for the same reason I could take or leave 4 before I started his Audios--I have seen very little of him. With 4 it was the vagaries of my local PBS schedule, with 9 it's of course because he just had the one season.

Looking forward to seeing how he and Big Finish expand on the character and he becomes my new favorite. :D

9 kind of had an accelerated 6 run: started the series as an unrecognizable PTSD ridden rear end in a top hat and slowly became The Doctor over time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfkWiQnfb0Y
Still such a great moment. Nine's season owned.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

David Warner told them that he doesn't want to play villains.

He was the main villain in the most recent Torchwood season??

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

He was the main villain in the most recent Torchwood season??

He’s also an alternate universe Doctor, so it cancels out.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

He’s also an alternate universe Doctor, so it cancels out.

yeah, he was a villain in a few 4DAs as well, but the bulk of his Big Fin work has been as Unbound Three alongside Benny

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He and Lisa Bowerman are a couple now. It's cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

He and Lisa Bowerman are a couple now. It's cute.

Wait, what??