Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vinylshadow posted:

"I think you’ll find that I’m universally recognized as a mature and responsible adult."
"It’s… just a lot of wavy lines."
"Yeah. Shorted out. Finally, a lie too big."

I love that bit so much. Smith’s read on ‘Finally, a lot too big.’ is just absolutely perfect.

God, we were so lucky to get Matt Smith. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

God, we were so lucky to get Matt Smithall the people who have played the Doctor. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I mean, that’s a given, yes. But for this brief moment in time we’re singing Smith’s praises.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XssNxLTcWE

"You do not require tea?"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Remember when the audio of this leaked from being recorded through some pipes on the floor below and we all thought it sounded awful?

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
some of y'all might be into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td_G0a1Qa_U

it's very cool

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

PriorMarcus posted:

Remember when the audio of this leaked from being recorded through some pipes on the floor below and we all thought it sounded awful?

"and you are the DAAAAAAAAAAAA-LEKS!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLCUrrAoZag

Good times.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair it is a really dumb line

That's just the point. It's the Doctor owning himself

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tomtrek posted:

Good times.

quote:

Autotune this thing and make it a dance mix

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For a second, I thought that audio recording was by Alan Vega, one-half of Suicide.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Edward Mass posted:

For a second, I thought that audio recording was by Alan Vega, one-half of Suicide.

You made me remember that he's dead and now I'm sad! :mad:

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Context suggests he’s only half-dead.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tomtrek posted:

Good times.

God, that line delivery is terrible, lmao. I mean, it's fair, you gotta experiment with your lines and the one they used for the final episode was pretty good, but drat, it makes me lol.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Look the faster we get a 10-11-13 crossover going the faster we can set people's speakers on fire by vibrational friction alone

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DialConfession/status/1261552034748092418

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Very well done. I seem to recall someone doing this before, but this version is better.

We're probably 10 years out from fan made deepfake or just AI algorithm full "live action" Big Finish recreations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Animated Big Finish would be a dream come true :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was really sweet, the mouth movements stand out but it feels silly to hold that against it, it's a pretty wonderful scene and quite remarkably well put together.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh Rusty :allears:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

He ain't wrong!

Related:
https://twitter.com/thewhoaddicts/status/1255825079042220033

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:hmmyes: growing big enough to fill the universe

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

finally gotten around to opening the season 14 boxset, and noticed on the back there's an asterix next to The Talons Of Weng-Chiang

"* Includes language that may offend"

which is fair enough really. but I'm just curious, is that new or was it there on the old DVDs too?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Okay, I know this is old, but Elizabeth Sandifer losing her poo poo at The Timeless Children made me laugh: http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/the-timeless-child-review/

As someone who agrees that the retcon was a bad idea... pretty sure the show will survive it, eh.

P.S: Reading the comments was actually better than the blog, in a surprising twist, and it led me to this take: https://doctorofcolor.tumblr.com/post/612767048411611136/white-entitlement-and-doctor-who-aka-why-i-like Which I don't think *totally* works (for this interpretation to really land for me the Doctor's memory would have to be erased after she was experimented on, not after a long career in the Time Lord's equivalent of the CIA)

and this comment, which I think is basically the opposite of what Chibnall was trying to do but a fantastic way to read this episode and make it more enjoyable (to a degree, it still lacks a lot of basic beats and mostly consists of exposition):

quote:

The Master believes he can destroy the Doctor by revealing a load of tedious lore and then trapping her in the Tardis Wiki. The Doctor defeats this plan by realising the tedious lore doesn't matter, and escapes by overwhelming the Tardis Wiki with the force of Doctor Who's bafflingly self-contradictory canon.

Are the Morbius Doctors explained? Not really; per this story, the Doctor didn't remember them at the time. Is the Ruth Doctor explained? Nope: if she's pre-Hartnell, her Tardis being a police box doesn't make sense. The Matrix can cope with the combined memories of every Time Lord who ever lived, but try to stuff Doctor Who into it and it falls over. This seems like a basically sensible approach to take to Doctor Who lore.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 16, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Okay, I know this is old, but Elizabeth Sandifer losing her poo poo at The Timeless Children made me laugh: http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/the-timeless-child-review/

As someone who agrees that the retcon was a bad idea... pretty sure the show will survive it, eh.

I dunno, I find myself in agreement with her for the first time since she relegated Big Finish as "Wilderness Years" apocrypha that ended when the True Doctor Who of RTD began.

I mean,

quote:

It’s as if the Cartmel Masterplan hosed the Leekley Bible and then gave the illegitimate child away to Ian Levine to foster.

:drat:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Astroman posted:

I dunno, I find myself in agreement with her for the first time since she relegated Big Finish as "Wilderness Years" apocrypha that ended when the True Doctor Who of RTD began.

I mean,

Oh that quote is funny, but the "Doctor Who is OVER" tone of most of the blog seems excessive to me. Just like any long-running property with world-shaking events (or even just... bad stuff that happens) it will either be ignored, retconned or built upon depending on the reception and whether writers have a good idea of what to do with it. I'm not a writer and I certainly know how I'd both canonize it and write around it, so I'm sure people who are more creative than me can also do something like that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Astroman posted:

I mean,

I particularly liked this bit:

quote:

Throughout the series I’ve been asking who this is for. Now we have our answer: Series 12 of Doctor Who is a lengthy missive to Ian Levine, groveling at his feet and begging him to come back. “I’ll do anything. I’ll do a fourth R of the Daleks story. I’ll bring back the block-headed Cybermen. I’ll confirm the Morbius Doctors. Just come back.” There’s nothing else here. No other message or insight into the world. Just fanwank for the sake of fanwank. Big revelations about lore that come down to “the fan favorite bits are absolutely the most important things in the series and we promise to never actually challenge or disrupt you in any way.” Finally, we can all see what The Rise of Skywalker would have looked like on a lovely BBC budget.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Replace "Just come back" with "Just give us the Mugabe copies of 'Power of the Daleks', 'The Abominable Snowmen' and 'The Evil of the Daleks'" and all might be explained!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They're on floor 6 :lol:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

I mean I know we have literally every opinion on display in here but yikes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Wilderness Years gave rise to the Expanded Whoniverse, so I'd consider that a victory
Just means there's more out there for people not satisfied with the show

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1262021122263924741

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always forget Karen Gillan was in that as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean I know we have literally every opinion on display in here but yikes.

Yeah, she wrote such fantastic, in depth analysis of every episode of the classic series, then gave serious consideration to the books, comics, and audios that kept it alive for over 15 years. But as soon as she got to 2005, it was like nothing was "Real Doctor Who" except the new show.

Clearly it was a narration she was trying to create, that everything before had led up to the moment when RTD brought it back, and that this new series was the culmination of that past and moved beyond it all to something greater.

Problem is this theory holds no water when you see that post 2005 Big Finish continues to get better, advances the shared universe, is creatively on fire, and is part of the new show with post 2005 stories, actors, and characters. Not to mention it was literally canonized on screen. Saying Big Finish is just apocryphal glorified fan fiction is like saying none of the Christmas Specials or other specials count.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Astroman posted:

Yeah, she wrote such fantastic, in depth analysis of every episode of the classic series, then gave serious consideration to the books, comics, and audios that kept it alive for over 15 years. But as soon as she got to 2005, it was like nothing was "Real Doctor Who" except the new show.

Clearly it was a narration she was trying to create, that everything before had led up to the moment when RTD brought it back, and that this new series was the culmination of that past and moved beyond it all to something greater.

Problem is this theory holds no water when you see that post 2005 Big Finish continues to get better, advances the shared universe, is creatively on fire, and is part of the new show with post 2005 stories, actors, and characters. Not to mention it was literally canonized on screen. Saying Big Finish is just apocryphal glorified fan fiction is like saying none of the Christmas Specials or other specials count.

I mean, I'd like to pretend a few of the Christmas specials didn't count.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, I'd like to pretend a few of the Christmas specials didn't count.

I mean once you combine the Snowmen and Twice Upon a Time it's kind of like matter and antimatter so

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nobody can be allowed to take my precious Last Christmas away from me :colbert:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's Doctor Who canon. None of it counts, except when it does, and then only briefly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Schrodinger's Canon

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jerusalem posted:

Nobody can be allowed to take my precious Last Christmas away from me :colbert:

This but The Husbands of River Song.

Hello, sweetie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I've always wanted to see that done properly."

(Also adore the implication that River takes the TARDIS for a joyride every now and then)

"Hello sweetie."

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Astroman posted:

Problem is this theory holds no water when you see that post 2005 Big Finish continues to get better, advances the shared universe, is creatively on fire

As someone who used to listen to a lot of BF, this statement is pretty darn wild in my opinion. About 95% of the good stuff Big Finish has done was in the very early part of their catalogue, well before the revival started. Their entire goal since then has been to produce safe, unchallenging Doctor Who stories and I doubt Nicolas Briggs would dispute that characterization much.

The production's gotten better, and they have more actors and access to revival-era content, but it's still mostly the same 4 writers writing the same 6 stories over and over and over and over again.