Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can see them doing one where David Bradley's First Doctor teams up with someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Chokes McGee posted:

Fantastic? Fantastic?!

I even heard this in Colin's voice. :allears:

Also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcGmnkCovw

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't feel like checking, did they line up Karen Gillan to appear at the same time she does in the actual Endgame credits, and if she doesn't, what's the point of the exercise?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
HBO Max is live, so modern Doctor Who streams in the US once again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TinTower posted:

I even heard this in Colin's voice. :allears:

Also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcGmnkCovw

Nah, gently caress that for putting John Hurt and Paul McGann as ‘and’ credits, rather than in with the rest of the Doctors.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Emily_Rosina/status/1265382325149368320

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

4/10 sounds like a really fun combo, especially if they both lean into their MANIC side.

On the other hand, from the description it sounds like they are going to look at 10's fear of impending regeneration with our post "Time of the Doctor" knowledge that he had only one more regeneration left. This is interesting because RTD never wrote him that way, but now they can explore that and Tennant can play him that way. Bonus points if they acknowledge that he has to fear that he might be regenerating into The Brickyard Backyard Knacker's Yard Any Other Type of Yard Valeyard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've always (post 11) kinda interpreted 10's Time Lord Victorious thing as being at least partially motivated by being on his last life that ends in a do-over. The angst about "I die, and a new man goes sauntering away" also fits into that neatly. He doesn't even get to properly die as "him". Even if that was never on the table when RTD was writing, and it was just general vanity/attachment to that incarnation, it works pretty well

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Graham's having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1266056171712102400

Apparently Nick Briggs not giving a bigot a contract extension is just like institutional anti-semitism resulting in an innocent man being falsely convicted of treason.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If I wanted to, I would post a picture of Peter Pratt's Master with the words "Nice meltdown" typed in the Impact font, but I find image macros of that ilk are a bit passe.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Splendid shops, all of them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TinTower posted:

Legit my initial read on this was that it was Bradley Walsh having the meltdown and I got so sad, then I realized it was just Graham Linehan and got sad all over again remembering the creator of some of my favorite comedies of all time is a gigantic loving bigoted rear end in a top hat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1266056171712102400

Apparently Nick Briggs not giving a bigot a contract extension is just like institutional anti-semitism resulting in an innocent man being falsely convicted of treason.

Get a Screenshot? He's on protected now

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wouldn't have guessed that Graham Linehan would become so deliciously triggered as to protect his tweets

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Get a Screenshot? He's on protected now

He wrote an entire blog post about James Dreyfus not being asked to be in Masterful because he's a bigot and called it "The Dreyfus Affair".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, what if...

https://twitter.com/tim42nz/status/1266636255808221184

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I watched The Macra Terror and I have to say the quality of the animation for these recons, while still stilted, has really improved a great deal.

Also the ending of that story with the Doctor's face after his companions warn him the colony wants to put him in charge is fantastic :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So unless BBC America intervenes and decides they want to air it at some unspecified time and date, the US DVD release of "The Faceless Ones" is July 28

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m rewatching the revival from Rose onwards for the first time in at least a decade and wow I do not remember Tooth and Claw at all.

I mean I very vaguely recall a werewolf episode but I do not remember it opening with a team of Karl Pilkington shaolin monks demolishing a bunch of old villagers like something out of Hot Fuzz.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 2, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every time I do a rewatch I am confused as to how I forgot an episode with kungfu monks, a werewolf AND Queen Victoria (also the first on-screen explicit reference to Torchwood if I remember right?) and then when the episode is done I promptly forget it all over again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought it was really memorable for how ridiculous it was.

Torchwood was mentioned in the Weakest Link section in season 1.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

(also the first on-screen explicit reference to Torchwood if I remember right?)

They briefly namedrop Torchwood in the Weakest Link segment of Bad Wolf but I can’t remember if that’s the first time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Torchwood gets namedrops all through season two, but Tooth and Claw is the first time it's really front-and-center and you get an explanation for who they are. Harriet Jones namedrops them in the Christmas Invasion (they're the ones that shoot down the Sycorax ship).

I thought they appeared somewhere in every single episode, but apparently they're not in New Earth.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 2, 2020

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Davros1 posted:

So unless BBC America intervenes and decides they want to air it at some unspecified time and date, the US DVD release of "The Faceless Ones" is July 28

And sadly we are again denied a Blu-Ray release of another animation since it seems there is apparently no market for it!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Man, I’d also forgotten how mean-spirited it was for the show to constantly poo poo on Mickey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zaroff posted:

And sadly we are again denied a Blu-Ray release of another animation since it seems there is apparently no market for it!

What the gently caress? Goddammit.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, I’d also forgotten how mean-spirited it was for the show to constantly poo poo on Mickey.

P-p-p-pizza!

e: Looking back, Doctor Who in 2005 seems a lot like what I imagine Doctor Who would've been like in 1990.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 2, 2020

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's weird that like, the show's treatment of Mickey is, "he's an idiot, a bad boyfriend, he sucks and is stupid and irrelevant, and then also several seasons later Martha marries him". Huge whiplash between two points, neither of which are particularly compelling.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Android Blues posted:

It's weird that like, the show's treatment of Mickey is, "he's an idiot, a bad boyfriend, he sucks and is stupid and irrelevant, and then also several seasons later Martha marries him". Huge whiplash between two points, neither of which are particularly compelling.

The ninth doctor hated Mickey.

The ninth doctor had lots of issues, as you know it takes several regenerations to recover from PTSD.

The tenth doctor mostly treated him like a person.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be fair, throughout the first two seasons he stands up for himself, refuses to let himself keep being walked over, and actually demonstrates a growth and maturity that Rose herself fails in her love-blind fantasy of her and the Doctor being a couple. Given where both characters start in the show's first episode, Mickey goes from the nice safe guy who is just happy with his relationship and doesn't have any desire for his life to change to a proactive guy who is trying to be a better all around person. Rose goes from somebody stifling in a life of unrealized potential to somebody who wants to just be in a relationship and for her life to continue in the same vein it current is forever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And then he gets shoved into a romance with a character he never met and never knew

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I’m on Rise of the Cybermen now and 10 is still treating him like poo poo. He whines and complains when Mickey asks to go with them. Plus there’s the “You can’t keep the horse”, “I let you keep Mickey!” exchange in The Girl in The Fireplace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

And then he gets shoved into a romance with a character he never met and never knew

Yes, that was bad. :agreed:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Plus there’s the “You can’t keep the horse”, “I let you keep Mickey!” exchange in The Girl in The Fireplace.

Which has so many interesting (and problematic) reads.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's especially bizarre because the show never acts like the Doctor is in the right (or wrong) for being a dick to Mickey. He's a well fleshed-out character with his own ideas and beliefs and the Doctor is just an rear end in a top hat to him. It is, in fact, kind of difficult to not read it as the Doctor being racist, or at best jealous and also racist.

There's shades of this with Danny in the Capaldi era too, but fortunately we can assign most of the blame to Very Bad Human Being Gareth Roberts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rochallor posted:

It's especially bizarre because the show never acts like the Doctor is in the right (or wrong) for being a dick to Mickey. He's a well fleshed-out character with his own ideas and beliefs and the Doctor is just an rear end in a top hat to him. It is, in fact, kind of difficult to not read it as the Doctor being racist, or at best jealous and also racist.

There's shades of this with Danny in the Capaldi era too, but fortunately we can assign most of the blame to Very Bad Human Being Gareth Roberts.

In Rose, Mickey gets kidnapped by the Nestene, held captive in their base for basically a day until he is rescued, and has to deal with the new information that (a) aliens exist and (b) are deadly. He’s rightfully dealing with a LOT of trauma at the end of the episode. But you know, gently caress him, kidnap his girlfriend and literally vanish right in front of him.

As Mickey rightfully points out in Aliens of London, the Doctor irreparably damaged his life. He got investigated for murder and ostracised by the community for Rose’s disappearance.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Carbon dioxide posted:

The ninth doctor hated Mickey.

The ninth doctor had lots of issues, as you know it takes several regenerations to recover from PTSD.

Didn't 9 ask Mickey to come along, and Mickey said no way Jose and the Doctor ended up pretending to Rose he didn't want him along? That was kind of nice

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Yeah, 9 seemed to get over his issue with Mickey by the end of the Aliens of London two-parter once Mickey had shown himself to be brave and capable. I can't remember if he then persisted with calling Mickey an idiot and using the wrong name in Boomtown though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mickey: You ruined my life, Doctor. They thought she was dead. I was a murder suspect because of you.
The Doctor: See what I mean? Domestic!
Mickey: I bet you don’t even remember my name.
The Doctor: Ricky.
Mickey: It’s Mickey.
The Doctor: No, it’s Ricky.
Mickey: I think I know my own name.
The Doctor: You think you know your own name? How stupid are you?