Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

From my perspective, Jodie is a good Doctor who is being let down by some bad writing. Not the first Doctor to be in that situation, and almost certainly not the last. But I feel, much as I loving HATED the timeless child reveal in that last episode people are jumping a little too hard on the "its a catastrophe! Burn everything!" train. It was a bad episode in a mediocre season (some good episodes, some meh episodes with good bits, some flat out bad), and thats amplified because thats the last episode we will see for... Actually I dont know. A while anyway. Has there been any word on if the next season going to be this calendar year or next? In any case, the last episode was bad with a continuity shitshow*, but its totally savable. The next series could start with the master revealing that he lied and hes the timeless child. The Matrix could have been manipulated by a third party to try and manipulate the Doctor or the Master. That could have been a fake Gallifrey for whatever reason. If it doesnt get changed then theres a good chance the next showrunner will just memory hole it, as we've already seen with "half human on my mothers side". Ratings were down (thats bad) but people are watching less live TV in general, and so ratings for almost everything are down, and it managed to be watched by a high percentage of people who watched live TV, which is surely a more realistic standard to look at. Plus as far as I know it still shifts merchandise and sells well internationally (which the BBC officially is not supposed to care about, but c'mon they totally do). Shows not going anywhere.

*I dont generally go too hard on continuity in Who, but the revelation as presented fucks up too many previous episodes and makes too little sense for me to overlook it. Like for example every time the doctor has been scanned by aliens who identify them as Gallifreyan/Time Lord. Now it turns out the doctor is not in fact a Gallifreyan. Sure they'd share some DNA if the regeneration ability was spliced into the time lords, but those goats they gene altered to produce spider silk milk would still be identifiable as goats, not spiders. I realise thats the most minor of the continuity this fucks, but its something thats across a bunch of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Khanstant posted:

Why do people poo poo on Moffat? Aren't all the best Doctor Who seasons under his reign?

His time running the show was... We'll go with chaotic. Personally I really liked his run as a run of Doctor Who, but its fair to say that he had a certain style, and a reliance on certain tropes, that a lot of people did not enjoy, or found wearing in the long run.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I think it's hard to not let the finale color how we feel about the rest of the season, but there were some really good episodes in season 12, especially the Mary Shelly one.

I'd agree. The season was a mixed bag which, divorced from the finale, I'd probably say averages out as "mediocre". But the finale was SO BAD its hard to remember the good bits, and the finale of any season is naturally going dominate the discussion between seasons. Let alone one which tries to retcon so much established show history.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Chokes McGee posted:

All I said is it was dumb and contradictory, and you wrote a huge essay to tell me why I'm wrong :shrug:

I mean maybe I am, I am dumb as hell, but still

Nah, you're right.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

“...All You Doctors...”

No Sir! All Infinity!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

To be honest, I've nothing against BF, but I kind of agree that if it wasnt on TV, it doesnt count as "proper" doctor who to me. If anything can be said to count as "proper" doctor who, given the "everything is canon and also nothing is" nature of doctor who continuity of course.

Again, thats nothing against BF, its not an attempt at a comment on the quality of their product one way or the other. Some of the stuff I've heard of theirs has been good, other stuff... well, lets not dwell on that. Its just that if the TV writers decide one day to directly contradict something that happened a piece of spin-off media, be it an audio play, a novel, a comicbook or the back of an action figures packaging, then the TV takes precedence. So far they've by and large been reasonably decent at not directly contradicting the audio stuff, and even bringing parts of it into the actual show where possible in little ways, but doesnt change the fact that, to me, Doctor Who is a TV show first and foremost.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

11, Rory, Amy, and 4 points spare that someone else can have as I've already recreated the best team tardis and dont want to mess with success. Or I might add mickey, K-9 and captain jack just because. I can only assume that Captain Jack is only 1 point because the person making up the graphic wanted everyone to take at least one.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

WELCOME TO ERF

Literally always worth pointing out that in Independence day Will Smith very clearly says "welcome to earth" and the "welcome to erf" meme is... I'm going to go with "problematic" at best.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

I’m from London, so Erf is a completely standard pronunciation here. We drop a lot of letters.

I'm from glasgow, we drop more. Will Smith is also not from London, so the fact you are is not even a little bit relevant. It's a stupid, lovely and inaccurate meme, entirely based on "Lol, black people talk like this!", and I probably wouldnt go hard on trying to defend it if I were you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

kaworu posted:

*Ahem* It was a fantastic line... by a fantastic Doctor :allears:

Also, I've been on hiatus from watching Doctor Who for... a fairly long time now, I stopped when Matt Smith stopped, basically - not because I disliked Capaldi or anything, but my interest just moved to other stuff for a while, and it felt like the end of a certain era. I'm actually quite unspoilt about the Twelfth Doctor's run.

I suppose I am wondering... Is it especially good? Anything in his run I should just give a miss, or little things I should be aware of? Been a while since I watched any Doctor Who - over 5 years, probably more like 7 or 8. I assume it's 3 seasons, his whole run? I'm a bit intimidated, because Matt Smith's run was pretty drat... complex and epic, and I'm sort of curious as to just how 'epic' his run winds up feeling. I do recall watching and really enjoying "The Day of the Doctor", that was the last Who-related thing that I watched, actually - I enjoyed it a great deal. If Capaldi's three-season run is on par with that in terms of quality then I am PSYCHED....

The Matt Smith era is my favourite run of Doctor Who (if we're narrowing it down, season 5, his first season is the best season of the revival, with only 2 duff episodes), to give you an idea where I'm coming from. For me Capaldis run is pretty good overall. He's not Matt Smith, and as is often the case it takes a while for the writers to find his voice as the new doctor. He doesnt have a season 5 level run of highs, but there is some drat good high concept stuff in his run, some extremely good character moments, and overall some real good doctor who.

I would recommend giving it a go.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PriorMarcus posted:

I personally feel like they never found Capaldi's voice. I remember him as one missed opportunity after another.

Personally I think they did towards the end of his run. Matt Smith is my favourite nuWho Doctor. Peter Capaldi on the other hand is the Doctor i would have loved to have one more season with. I think by the end of his run he'd nailed the Doctor he wanted to play, and the writers (and showrunner) had finally more or less got the feel for it too. One more season and I think we'd have seen something special. So far I think Whittaker is my "Missed opportunity" doctor, shes nailed her voice for the doctor early doors, but the writers (and showrunner) are... gently caress knows what they are doing, but it sure as poo poo isnt "Writing acceptable doctor who episodes for your talented lead to work with".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

Thirteen may not feel entirely realized yet, but I feel like there's a lot of subtle little beats that fill out a lot of her personality.

Things like immediately apologizing when she misreads a situation, linking everyone up in prayer in the Tsuranga Conundrum while not leading it herself, being openly fearful of the Dalek once it isn't around to hear her big statements.

There haven't really been any Big Character Defining Moments for Thirteen, but there have been enough subtle ones that not only am I fine with that, I feel like one... can't really happen. Thirteen isn't special in ways that lend themselves to big speeches.

Sure, but the episode plots have mainly been tedious poo poo, which is my main problem with the writers and showrunner so far. Compared to any other doctor the ratio of Good Episode:Absolute Dogshit is way way off, and its nothing to do with the cast, who are uniformly good. They are just given piss all to work with.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I have certain opinions about Doctor Who which I will never be argued out of. One of them is that Clara should have left at the end of "Last Christmas". It was the perfect out for the character, and having the "Its a Christmas miracle! She isnt old after all, and wants to come back on the TARDIS!" ending felt like it really cheapened the episode itself. Now, there was some perfectly good stuff with Clara after that episode, but I will not be shaken in my conviction that it was the right time for her to go. While I'm on the subject, the Ponds (who are my favourite companions of the revival) stuck around about half a season longer than they should have as well, and yeah, we should have easily had another season with Bill instead of the paltry one we got.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Put me down as another one who didnt even think for one second that was a set!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

It probably narrows down quite significantly when you're talking about something that a) is pre-2005, b) the rights aren't owned by BF already, and c) the IP owners don't currently have a decent enough rapport with BF to justify a long negotiation process.

I'm going to guess The Saint.

Having seen the 2017 saint movie (actually 2013 reboot TV pilot retooled and released shortly after Moores death, a cynic would say in order to cash in on it) I can say that whoever has the rights to the saint doesnt give much of a gently caress about them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rochallor posted:

Choosing not to kill the mysterious space creature in the egg doesn't make it a pro-life story.

Choosing to ignore the wishes of the people effected by the birth and force them to let it be born kind of does though. I honestly find that part of the story pretty indefensible.

They ask the people of 2049 to decide what to do. They have the people of 2049 decide, overwhelmingly, that the birth is not worth the risk to them. Clara decides that she knows best and ignores their decision based on what she has decided is right, and that is that the possibility of the birth is worth the risk to their lives. This isnt subtext, this is what happened in the story. And bear in mind that the reason the people of 2049 decided that is because they were deliberately written to make that decision so Clara could unilaterally overrule them. They could just as easily have written the people of earth decide to let the moon hatch, and have Clara respect that choice. You will never convince me any professional writer is dumb enough to write that poo poo by accident, even Harkness whose Who episodes have all been dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Payndz posted:

There was also the rumour that he was cast in a fairly major role in Rise of Skywalker, but then script changes removed him (though he still got paid).

My dream job is to be an actor who gets paid to not be in things. As it stands I'm not in movies for free.