Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's Doctor Who canon. None of it counts, except when it does, and then only briefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eh, I think it worked fine on screen at normal speed.

Also, in response to Edward Mass, I disagree that it's difficult to write a show about time travel without deifying past figures, but it's probably hard to do it with a beloved BBC property when Winston Churchill is still seen as a national hero by people of all parties in the UK.

Also, consider that many of the people who write Doctor Who may not be aware of Churchill's role in atrocities, or (in the worst case) may actually think that his being a good war leader makes up for them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, "Winston Churchill was bad" is a fringe view in the UK generally, even though it's completely accurate. We're taught in primary school that he saved the country. I guess the analogous thing would be how controversial it can be in the USA to point out that the founding fathers owned slaves? But that's more well-known in the US generally, simply because slavery is widely taught at high school level in the USA, while the brutality Britain enacted on the Indian subcontinent is only taught in tertiary education in the UK.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, I’d also forgotten how mean-spirited it was for the show to constantly poo poo on Mickey.

It's weird that like, the show's treatment of Mickey is, "he's an idiot, a bad boyfriend, he sucks and is stupid and irrelevant, and then also several seasons later Martha marries him". Huge whiplash between two points, neither of which are particularly compelling.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

All the evidence seems to point to him having made it up for clout. Which is really funny, and a little sad. I mean, he could be vindicated yet! But it doesn't look likely.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Capaldi run is my favourite of the revival, I think. I actually like S3 least, in part because I think the 12/Clara dynamic is super compelling and absolutely sizzles, this best friends plus master-pupil dynamic where the pupil is eager (and perhaps ready) to become the master. It's so much better than the lazy "his companion is in love with him but it can Never Be" subtext that a lot of the other revival companions derive their character drama from.

Bill got a raw deal and very little characterisation in comparison. She wasn't in that aforementioned group, it was cool that she was gay, but less cool that they just couldn't fix on a dynamic between her and the Doctor that was coherent between episodes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I think the fact that their relationship is so close is something that's built up over multiple seasons with Clara. She's the only revival companion who becomes the Doctor's peer, rather than his assistant/love interest/kidnap-prone human pal, and that development is pretty well-earned by years of adventures. Also makes her ending perfect - she gets to be a version of the Doctor herself, rather than getting shuffled off into retirement like so many before her.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the abortion metaphor reading is totally accidental and not that intuitive. It's mostly just that it's a decision about whether to let something be born or not and there's a big button that says ABORT, and from there no matter how shaky or circumstantial the rest of the reading is, you have to at least acknowledge the subtext.

I liked Kill the Moon though. Courtney was cool.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My name happens to be Terror of the Zygons, so this will be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it feels like she never gets to have the big righteous indignation, oncoming storm speech that, even if it was tired sometimes, all the other modern Doctors at least got a version of. It feels like they're toning down the Doctor's volatility and mercurial nature a bit and the fact that they're doing this for the first female Doctor can't help but feel moderately sexist, to me.