Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

So, looking back on the series... I guess Graham really did see ghosts in the Haunting of Villa Diodati? Will the ghost sandwiches ever be explained? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

C'mon son, the game show Graham should be on is obviously The Chase.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Neat, but kind of sad that I'd rank Jodie stood in her wardrobe pretty highly in her list of best Doctor speeches.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Burkion posted:

Top row, left to right

...Harry? Don't know what he'd be doing there
Pretty sure that's Two in his big coat.

Burkion posted:

Dalek Row, Left to right

Clara??
I think what you're referring to there is the little girl leading the renegades in Remembrance.

Burkion posted:

Alien Row-
...I feel like the dome is something from the second Doctor but I'm not sure...one of the Spiders from Third Doctor... Clown is familiar but the picture is too blurry... Indistinct... some giant gently caress off Cyber something
The dome thing's a Mechanoid. I think what you're calling a spider is actually a Wirrn. The clown is from Greatest Show in the Galaxy. The one between the Silence and the Vashta Nerada suit is the Veil from Heaven Sent. What you thought might be a silurian at the front is actually a Voord, then the three behind the gas mask kid and pig-man are all Ice Warriors including the Empress and maybe an Ice Lord. Next to the pig is a quark from The Dominators. The giant cyberman is the Cyber King from The Next Doctor.

Some others not mentioned are Morbius next to the tree lady and Sharaz Jek between the pirate and the angel. I think the one behind the Sycorax leader is Omega from Arc of Infinity.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

My favourite is the scene of 11, Amy and Vincent looking at the night sky, which then shifts into The Starry Night as Vincent explains how he sees it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Troughton was such an expressive actor. I'm thankful for the animated reconstructions of his missing episodes as a next-best thing, but they can never fully capture all the facial expressions and small movements of his live performance.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Unkempt posted:

I keep seeing Patrick Troughton in unexpected places as I flick around the streaming services lately. He was a patient in an episode of Only When I Laugh, and a creepy peeping tom who gets his head caved in in the very first Inspector Morse.

I kept getting that with Peter Capaldi over Christmas. I was surprised as heck when he suddenly turned up as a handsome love interest in an episode of the Vicar of Dibley.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I'm enjoying this gradual in-character tour of Jodie Whittaker's house. Maybe we'll get to see her garden next!

Hmm.... 1, 4 & 10. Eccleston's my favourite modern Doctor, Donna's my favourite modern companion and makes Tennant tolerable, 10 is Capaldi's most consistent season and has Bill and Nardole. I'm not as passionate about Series 5 as others, but if I had a fourth pick it'd be that.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 9, 2020

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Edward Mass posted:

Well, at least we know the next season is airing in 2021.

Well, that's the hope. From how the past couple of series have panned out I'd guess they would have been intending to start shooting either now, or in a month or so. At this point, nobody really knows how much disruption to schedules coronavirus will cause. If we're lucky then it'll still be some point in 2021, but I wouldn't be too shocked if it ended up getting pushed back to 2022.

Tomtrek posted:

Neil Gaiman wrote this little scene as an introduction for tonight's watch-along of The Doctor's Wife, and it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqW4XjZwC8

This was delightful, especially Karen Gillan's cameo. All these little vignettes are better marketing for Doctor Who than what we got for the last series.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Along with Midnight, Heaven Sent is one of my favourite episodes for imagining how it would play out if it had been a different Doctor in that situation. Heaven Sent is perhaps more interesting for thinking about that from an actor perspective than a character one, but it's fun to ponder what their emotional response to losing a companion would be, what would their interior monologues be like, what kind of confessions would they give or avoid, how would they approach the final room etc.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Whatever Jon Pertwee did to end up in that police mugshot, I hope he was remorseful and the judge was lenient.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I didn't see much of it either, but I have seen the last scene of the series and thought that was already a decent open-ended send off. I trust that Rusty will hit the right note with this though. It's been however many years since she died and just reading that announcement still got me.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Apparently all the Doctors from Tom to Jodie and Jo Martin have recorded a message for a BBC telethon thing tonight https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52379802.

BBC posted:

Ten Doctor Who actors from the past 50 years will say thank you to real doctors and other NHS staff on a star-studded BBC fundraising telethon later.

BBC One's The Big Night In will feature Jodie Whittaker, the current Doctor, and a host of her predecessors.

Little Britain, Peter Kay, The Vicar of Dibley and Catherine Tate will all also return during the three-hour special.

Children in Need and Comic Relief have joined forces for the first time for the event, which begins at 19:00 BST.

The Doctors have recorded a message thanking front-line staff for their work during the coronavirus crisis. It will be broadcast just before the weekly Clap For Carers at 20:00 BST.
I expect it'll be on Youtube etc afterwards.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The_Doctor posted:

Aww, no Eccles. :sigh:
Oh poo poo! I'd just done a basic "thirteen minus the first three makes ten" and completely blanked that Jo Martin being included meant there's one missing.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Here's the message from various doctors to various doctors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEuy0H2Zl4

Conclusions I have drawn from it:
  • Sylv has the worst smartphone camera and knows the least about how to use it
  • Tom Baker has a very nice garden
  • Matt Smith apparently lives in a church
  • Colin owns a quite lot of books
  • Jodie Whittaker does in fact own clothes other than her Doctor costume
  • Capaldi's hair is currently operating at a series 9 level of luxuriousness

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Harlock posted:

"Launching over a 12-week period later this year, the story will be delivered by Penguin Random House, BBC Books, Titan Comics, Doctor Who Magazine, Big Finish productions, BBC Audio, action figure company Eaglemoss Hero Collector, Immersive Everywhere, Maze Theory (who made the last Doctor Who VR game) and Escape Hunt (who recently delivered a Dalek-themed escape room), all working together to tell the tale through their own medium."

Seems like a lot.

Getting a strong Shadows of the Empire vibe off all that.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

CommonShore posted:

And in the same respect the Sontarans must not be used as 3rd tier Daleks.

My key Sontaran rule would be "be like Linx, not Strax". I suppose emulating Strax in his first appearance is fine, but nothing beyond that.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I like the characterisation in how different Doctors deploy the psychic paper to move the plot along. Smith would throw out nonsense and roll with it, Capaldi would often be quite forceful with it, while Whittaker tends to silently present it and go along with whatever the person says.

I think Eccleston and Tennant tended to use it in the same sort of basic functional way, with it just being a new tool at that point. Although if I remember right Tennant would often go for claiming positions of authority with it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

He ain't wrong!

Related:
https://twitter.com/thewhoaddicts/status/1255825079042220033

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I also feel like impressionists just put Capaldi's accent down as Scottish, but none have properly nailed the specific type of Scottish accent he has.

The attempt at Thirteen was pretty poor too, but there's obviously been less time to find someone who can do a convincing Jodie Whittaker impression. I also thought the writing on her character was off, being based entirely on the fact she's said "fam" a couple of times.

Ultimately though, this is right:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Still, that was something that a bunch of people did for free, and it was very fun, so I don't wanna be too critical. I'm sure everybody involved is a lovely chap!

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Yeah, 9 seemed to get over his issue with Mickey by the end of the Aliens of London two-parter once Mickey had shown himself to be brave and capable. I can't remember if he then persisted with calling Mickey an idiot and using the wrong name in Boomtown though?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

That sucks.

Seems like a Top Gear style situation where shows that air on BBC can go crazy with music-use and then get butchered when they are shown elsewhere.

Yeah, the BBC has some extremely old and generous arrangements over using licensed music that can cause issues with airing shows internationally. I'm not sure if that specifically applies to Last of the Time Lords, but wouldn't be surprised.

Hell, I think there are still rights issues in some markets with showing The Chase due to the clip of the Beatles in the first episode.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I've got a week of holiday at the moment that's been ruined by lockdown, so I've been using the time to take the plunge on going through telesnap reconstructions of the missing episodes. I'd expected to find them a huge struggle to watch, but it turns out I've actually got a surprisingly high tolerance for them. Admittedly I've been very selective in which ones I've watched so far and there are still several ones left that I'm wary about.

I 'watched' The Highlanders yesterday expecting it to be a real slog. I had no idea that it's actually four straight episodes of the Doctor clowning on everyone, with occasional breaks for Ben and Polly to go clown on people instead. The only big trouble I had was the fight sequence in ep 4 that's just alternating static images of Jamie and the slaver guy over sounds of swords clanking. It felt like that part went on forever.

There are definitely rough parts to even the best telesnaps and I wouldn't judge anyone for not getting on with them, but I would recommend for people to at least give one a go to see how you feel.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, The Highlanders is the one where the Doctor goes from being interrogated to convincing his interrogator to willingly let the Doctor knock him out by slamming his head against a wall or something, right? :allears:

Yes! While pretending to be German! It basically goes:
Doctor: "ah, I can tell you have problems with your eyes."
Clerk: "No I don't"
Doctor: "That's why you get headaches!"
Clerk: "I don't have a headache"
Doctor: *bangs clerk's head against a desk* "Yes you do! Now just lie down blindfolded for an hour to make it go away."

It's important to note this is immediately following on from the Doctor having fleeced the main villain and stuffed him inside a closet.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Even the updated article is sensationalist bullshit. Like, this part here:

quote:

Season 12 of Doctor Who ended in a dramatic finale back in March, which left fans on a bit of a cliffhanger, worrying if The Doctor (played by Jodie Whittaker) would ever actually return.
Why would anyone who watched the episode be in doubt over whether the Doctor would return? The cliffhanger in the last episode was extremely tame and it literally ended with the words "The Doctor will return in Revolution of the Daleks".

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Barry Foster posted:

We're about halfway through Series 8 now. Now that I know where Capaldi's portrayal goes I'm a lot more inclined towards early 12 this time round. Maybe it's just that I'm older and much more jaded and relate to him more now, but where I first just saw 'bafflingly unrepentant arsehole' now I see 'deeply troubled non-neurotypical individual having a major identity crisis struggling to keep it together'.

I felt the same way. While there are some infamous stinkers in Series 8 and other elements/episodes that don't work, I was a lot more positive about it overall when I rewatched it last year. It helps that I'm now viewing it from a point of having properly internalised Capaldi as being the Doctor, rather than just seeing the actor Peter Capaldi who'd very recently finished playing Malcolm Tucker in The Thick Of It. I do think the part of his portrayal in Series 8 that still grates with me is when he's written as being PG Malcolm Tucker in Space.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

CobiWann posted:

Who the hell hates Midnight?!? That's my favorite Ten episode!

Yeah, what in the hell? I've known people who've chronically missed the point and people who don't like watching it because it's too intense for them, but actually thinking it's bad?!?

The dumbest take I've seen on Midnight (which still concluded that it was a good episode) was a group reaction video where they took a high-and-mighty "we're so much smarter than those idiots" stance while simultaneously going "who would you have killed?" "I'd kill all of them!" "Well, I'd kill all of them EXCEPT Dee-Dee :smug:" Congratulations on proving the episode's point, you utter cretins.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The second one seems to be so minor that I can't actually figure out what exactly it's referring to. Help a goon out?

The physical aspect of the young Doctor being in a barn doesn't bother me at all, beyond some nerd complaints about time locked events etc. The part of that scene in Listen that rubs the wrong way is the implication that Clara was responsible for giving the Doctor his principles. However, I'm OK with that because:
a) It's only implicit and quite easy to disregard.
b) It's cyclical - Clara was repeating what the Doctor had said to her, so essentially the Doctor inspired the Doctor.
c) the scene is really well done.
I can't remember if Hell Bent added anything more to that backstory?

I suppose the other Moffat retcon to throw in would be the confession in Heaven Sent that the Doctor left Gallifrey because he was scared, rather than because he was bored. I'm not particularly keen on that, but it's very vague and also easy to just gloss over.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

2house2fly posted:

In Hell Bent the Doctor refers to a rumour that he stole the moon and the president's wife- he clarifies that he actually lost the moon, and it was the president's daughter. Since this would have happened around the time he left Gallifrey, it makes sense that the president's daughter would be Susan

Ah, thanks. I'd not connected those dots and (rightly or wrongly) just put it down as a random offscreen adventure. Plus that's not even in the top ten worst things in Hell Bent, so it's easily lost in the noise.

Ultimately, a vague throwaway line like that is much easier to ignore or dismiss than a massive multi-season plot arc.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

As a promo thing, HBO have done a panel with Tennant, Jodie and Matt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmyLeVOzp4

"Geronimo back to you, old fruit!" :allears:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

WhittakerDoc feels the same thus far, which is a bit worrying. Jodie’s performance has been great, but the writers just don’t seem to have a very clear and cohesive idea of what her Doc should be. I really wish they’d lean into her tinkerer/inventor side more.

I'd liked the indications in series 12 of Thirteen being outwardly sunny and nice, but surprisingly secretive about things and occasionally quite sharp when pushed. There seemed to be a certain level of friction building up between her an Ryan in particular, but I don't think it really came to a head in a properly satisfying way. Which is kind of Series 12 in a nutshell.

Recon watching update:
  • The Underwater Menace was baffling. I had as much trouble working out what was going on in the surviving episodes as I did with the telesnaps. I was surprised and disappointed that the ridiculous fish people weren't actually all that involved in the story, but it was funny that the Doctor's plan involved calling them a bunch of dumbasses so they'd all go on strike.

• I had high expectations for Evil of the Daleks, which it didn't fully live up to. The middle section with Jamie running around the house dragged badly in telesnap form, but the Skaro section and the Dalek Emperor owned. Decent, but not quite as amazing as I'd hoped. It'd be good to get this one animated in particular.

• The Abominable Snowmen was good, although the telesnap version I watched went overkill at points by trying to animate some sections that ended up far worse than if they'd just stuck to stills. I've seen everything else with the Great Intelligence already, but this is the first time where I've managed to get a proper sense of what it actually is.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Payndz posted:

also Twelve had massive "No, I'm not a boring old man and I'm still trendy and cool and my kids think I'm awesome and I'm totally not going through a midlife crisis" energy, which I can't help but think was Moffat wittingly or otherwise putting himself on paper.

That seemed to me like a sad, desperate attempt to win back fans who were put off by the new Doctor not being another attractive young man.

Zaroff posted:

Which recon did you watch? The one on the DVD is notoriously atrocious, where the higher-ups remit was 'no photoshop, no moving images, and only put the tele-snaps on-screen in order and do not deviate from that order', which led to a recon which couldn't even use video of the opening credits, or display the episode title on screen. If you've got a scene with all 4 TARDIS crew members talking, but Jamie didn't appear in one of the two tele-snaps taken of that scene, then the poor Scotsman gets no visual representation.

It's on a par with the very early fan-made recons, where they only had the resources to put a very basic representation of the episode. What's worse is that the people making the recon were willing to put in the extra work to bring it up to par with the other reconstructions like Web of Fear at no additional cost, but they were told to follow the remit.

It was just a random one I'd found online, so I'm not sure what the origin was. On a technical level it seemed fine and on an equal enough par with the others I've been watching. There have definitely been some recons where it's been obvious that there's really limited material to pull from (I watched the Macra Terror pt 1 to see the sequence missing from the animation, but that was very tough), but I can't think that anything stood out too much for the Underwater Menace. I can mostly follow dialogue in telesnap form fine and infer what's going on in the scene, it's just the longer action sequences that I find hard like the sword fight in The Highlanders or the helicopter sequences in Fury From The Deep.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I can see the parallel. I think Bill more confident in herself than Ace was though, which gave her dynamic with the Doctor a bit less of an imbalanced feel. Probably partly because I think Bill was slightly older than Ace was meant to be? Ace was only supposed to be like 16 or something, right?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

echoplex posted:

A lot of the wider shots of the Dalek complex going up were model shots with off-the-shelf Dalek toys (the R/C ones from memory). These were out of production at that point so the poor Buyers had to scour eBay for them, contact the seller to arrange an early end to the auction, and then ask them to be sent to "Doctor Who, BBC Wales..."

On the same surface as the print layer, an iPad was placed flush against it with animated graphics that matched the printed ones. Because this was all on the reverse of the perspex, it kind of looked like one giant glass panel with animated elements in the middle of it (you can see the shadow of the iPad here, but on camera it worked). In order to get this idea off the table I had to lend the show my own iPad as we couldn't afford to buy any new ones. Ah DW, how I miss thee.

These bits are my favourites. Even after all these years, the show is only tiny baby steps forward from making monsters out of egg whisks and toilet plungers. The first one is straight from the classic era playbook for faking up shitloads of Daleks, except we've actually got on-model toys these days. :allears:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a sad looking fellow

Ace, smugly: who you calling small?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

My trouble with the Paradigm designs is that they're also really broad and have this weird hunched back behind the dome. They're so bulky that they look really impractical to use in anything other than really wide corridors and open spaces (well, more than regular daleks).

I agree that they'd be fine as the model for a leader Dalek, but not the regulars.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sylvester McCoy was meant to have a bunch of upcoming releases, but he's apparently stuck in France(!?)

That is extremely on-brand for Sylvester McCoy.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

2house2fly posted:

I think the aliens in Twice Upon A Time mention it? But also like in an offhand way

It was dropped in when the glass lady rattled off a list of titles for the Doctor. One of them was "shadow of the Valeyard".

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I've finished the telesnaps for the Troughton years now after watching The Space Pirates last night. I... didn't completely hate it? I didn't have much knowledge about the actual plot going in, but from what I've heard about it I was expecting it to be probably the worst story of his tenure. It definitely wasn't great; the first few episodes were slow and excessively heavy on expository dialogue, it had some terrible choices in costumes and character concepts, but it mostly just seemed kind of mediocre to me.

It's not even my least favourite story of Season 6, I'd put it above The Krotons and probably above The Dominators too. Damning it with faint praise there, but I was expecting a total trainwreck and was really surprised that I came away thinking it was just meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I was surprised as heck when I watched Revelation of the Daleks earlier in the year and realised it was a story I'd actually seen back when I was about 7 or so. One of my strongest memories of watching repeats of the show in the early 90s was of Davros's gross detached head in a tube, but I didn't remember anything else about the story and had merged it with Remembrance of the Daleks in my mind - for some reason the terms Imperial and Renegade Daleks had really stuck with me too. I think the BBC ran a selection of repeats in the run-up to the 30th anniversary so those stories had got all tangled together in my head.