Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In the last thread, someone said that Ernest P. Worrell would have made a good Doctor Who, and, darn it, they're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

You're drat right I did

And you're drat right I am

The Ernest Doctor, walking into the Clara Diner TARDIS: I've been vandalized...... by Elvis!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

<bursts in, panting and looking like he’s just woken up>

You’ve! <gasps for air> redeco- <catches breath, inhales deeply> redecorated. I don’t... <sits down to rest> I don’t like it.

Mr. Troughton, we're begging you to get some rest, you're supposed to take over after Colin Baker leaves the role.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

The OP says spoilers dried up under Chibnall, actually the timeless child reveal was making the rounds on Reddit and Gallifrey Base from before this series started. Just nobody in the spoiler thread believed them since they were too stupid to be real lmao

This is usually true of Doctor Who spoilers too, is the thing. I remember seeing the Twice Upon a Time ones and saying "Nah."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When FYAD changed their name to "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!" and had a sticky with the page where it happened, I remember saying "That's a pretty good prank, but not even J. K. Rowling's prose is that bad," and I literally didn't believe it was true until I got to the page where, in fact, Snape kills Dumbledore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's still only one really bad episode in a series that was otherwise pretty decent IMO. The problem is that we have to sit with it for like eight months now because Doctor Who has moved to a schedule where they film 8 episodes every half a decade. If they run with it as an ongoing thing that they constantly bring up, it's going to be bad.

I also wonder what the cast is going to look when they start filming again, given that at least two of the companions are leaving.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

What I like about Doctor Who is that it's kinda stupid and not usually about cool cops/cool space militarys/cool space guns/cool secret government agencies etc

Yeah, the cool cops with cool space guns in cool secret agencies are usually played as comically incompetent bad guys. That's kind of the whole thing about the Time Lords, they terrify the whole Universe and have extreme cosmic power but the only thing the Doctor cares about is they have stupid hats and they're humorless, unimaginative bores who are easy to trick because it's easy to get under their skin and call their traditions "super mega boring."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I'm realizing I know strikingly little about Chibnall as a person for how much stuff of his I've seen, though. Like, the most I can reasonably guess is 'he seems to like smaller towns and cities over bigger ones', given how he seems generally uninterested in writing stories set anywhere larger than Sheffield.

Even that's sort of up for grabs, because he definitely recognizes small town ugliness in Broadchurch.

He did cast a woman in the role and two people of color as companions, which, sadly, is explicitly political in today's climate. "Racism is bad and so is climate change" are things you would think are just a given, but here we are.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 11, 2020

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

I don't know, he seems to have pretty strong opinions that Amazon workers should just shut the gently caress up and happily throw themselves into the meat grinder because at least they get paid

Yeah, that was a bad episode that I feel like undermined itself purely for the sake of a twist ending

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The problem with Stephen Moffat isn't that any of his writing was atrociously bad in a vacuum, but first of all, whenever you put a microphone in front of him, he said things that made you dislike him and it's pretty inarguable at this point that production staff left because of weird feuds with him. That and after awhile, you got tired of certain patterns. Basically every major companion under his reign died-but-also-didn't-die, major events often involved being inside of a simulated reality, romantic relationships were often handled the same way 90s sitcoms would have handled them, and certain popular concepts that had limited staying power (the Paternoster gang, the Weeping Angels) were revisited a few too many times. I also think both the Brigadier and the First Doctor being used the way they were was a really bad move and that he would have done more of that if he'd remained the showrunner.

I think most of the best episodes of the revival were done by him though, including during the RTD era, but it was time for him to go. Chibnall is not who'd I'd have picked as showrunner, but I have to admit that so far, the only thing I really have against him is that the first season wasn't bonkers enough and the second season finale was the wrong kind of bonkers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

By this point, two series in, both Moffat and RTD had produced some great stuff, and some terrible poo poo. Setting the timeless child poo poo aside for the moment, Chibnall has been mostly ok, but there are a couple really bad episodes and no great ones.

I think Moffat's first season was probably stronger than Chris Chibnall's (and ironically, the worst episodes in season 5 are written by... Chris Chibnall, haha), but that overall, the "Chibnall era" such as it exists yet is about normal for Doctor Who in terms of how mixed a bag it is. If they course correct from this season's finale or even just leave addressing the TImeless Child stuff mostly just for season finales, it could easily get good again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

We are lucky they didn't have Clara and The Doctor get married.

It was any couple that interacted romantically on the show, basically. The superhero episode and Craig in The Lodger, for example. And the Craig episode works fine on its own (the superhero one doesn't), but on a rewatch it's hard, because you're like "Ah, yes, the Moffat shy guy getting the courage to ask out the woman who already likes him thing again"

Clara is one of those divisive companions. I think she wasn't good until they got past the Impossible Girl plot, but that she was actually pretty good after that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A bunch of yellow Starbursts and then you open a red but it turns out to be one of the weird experimental flavors instead of cherry.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like all those 90s era Legends of the Dark Knight where somehow all of Bruce Wayne's relatives back in the old country were also Batman somehow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like I'm not even sure Season 12 *as a whole* is terribly bad. There are really only two episodes that strike me as particularly weak, it's just that one of them was the season finale, and was meant to be a payoff to so much stuff, so that left a horrible taste in all our mouths.

Yeah, I think it's hard to not let the finale color how we feel about the rest of the season, but there were some really good episodes in season 12, especially the Mary Shelly one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Given the inevitable collapse of the forums being soon, I just wanted to say thanks for all the posting memories, Doctor Who thread. I still haven't watched the finale of the last season yet because I'm waiting for a better episode to come after it as a palate cleanser.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The forums are regenerating....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Anyone know what this Jeffrey dude is like and if he will put some actual money and effort into this place?

He answered some questions in GBS. His plan, if the transfer works out, seems to include getting rid of ads. He's been the one putting duct tape on the code and any minor improvements we've seen recently have mostly been him. Fixing search for archives seems to be on his to-do list. A lot of QCS requests have had him answering "Yeah, it sucks, but Richard wants it here and he's the only one with the keys" until now. He has rough numbers on what it costs to pay for hosting and how much the site brings in from purchases and so far is pretty sure there doesn't need to be any fundraising to keep things afloat.

I'd say cautious optimism is in order because, if nothing else, it virtually has to be better than Lowtax.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't follow mod/admin drama since the PPJ stuff, to be clear, I was purely talking about the technical end of the site, which I think has been held up for years by someone who refused to let other people make important decisions but was completely absent to make them himself. Stuff like having a working search, getting rid of ads, getting rid of the stupid window slamming log-in page, or just adding a feature without everything completely collapsing is, for the first time in a very long time, something that could realistically happen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kaworu posted:

I suppose I am wondering... Is it especially good? Anything in his run I should just give a miss, or little things I should be aware of? Been a while since I watched any Doctor Who - over 5 years, probably more like 7 or 8. I assume it's 3 seasons, his whole run? I'm a bit intimidated, because Matt Smith's run was pretty drat... complex and epic, and I'm sort of curious as to just how 'epic' his run winds up feeling. I do recall watching and really enjoying "The Day of the Doctor", that was the last Who-related thing that I watched, actually - I enjoyed it a great deal. If Capaldi's three-season run is on par with that in terms of quality then I am PSYCHED....

The Capaldi era is like most Doctor Who, in that the quality varies widely and people disagree on what's good and what's bad overall. Listen, for example, is extremely divisive. I really love it, but others hate that the science in it is bad (I'd argue it's supposed to be) or that it answer questions Doctor Who shouldn't answer. There are people who love Capaldi's final episode, and I hated it!

I think one thing to keep in mind if you're going in unspoiled is that Capaldi has some rough spots, particularly at the beginning. Stephen Moffat seems to feel he needs to go back to some of his old wells to get people used to the new Doctor and some of those wells are a bit dry. There are times when you hate his Doctor because it feels as though he is being unnecessarily cruel and insulting to his companion. I consider it to be worth it and so do others; ultimately, it will depend on how you feel about Clara, I think. Some people hate the way she's written. Personally, I really like the direction that they went with her starting with Capaldi's run, and I think she pulls the show through some of Capaldi's early cruel moments. The arc, for awhile, is about their relationship as the Doctor and companion.

I think that the best episode of Doctor Who is during Capaldi's run, and inasmuch as there is a consensus, I think that consensus is that it is a very good episode. I'm fairly confident most people in the thread would know which one I mean without even referencing it by name, just as I'm sure that there are people who really love the following episode (I only liked it the first time I watched it, but liked it a lot more on a rewatch), and people who really hate it. Capaldi himself is an incredible actor and grew up as a huge fan of the show, and his acting is an absolute joy to watch.

tl;dr If you were a fan of the Matt Smith era, I think you'll like the Twelfth Doctor and there are some very strong episodes, but getting used to the Doctor early in the run takes some patience.

Sleep No More is an absolutely terrible episode and I recommend skipping it entirely.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Capaldi was the Doctor in what might be the best single episode of Doctor Who, so there’s that.

Yeah, see, like, there's not consensus on anything, but people calling that episode bad is almost unheard of. It's not early in the run, so you have to wait for it. Some people, they might say that's a hell of a long wait. Personally, I think it's a hell of an episode!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kaworu posted:

I prefer it when things are a bit more integrated, even though it might mean the Doctor is less pleasant overall, or scares his companions sometimes for real :xd:

Oh hell yeah, jump in on Twelve's run, then.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drat, echoplex, you should write a book at some point. Even if those are just quick reference photos (and even with quick little descriptions), they tell a story unlike what you usually see in film/TV documentaries. Thanks for putting them together for us!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, they're clearly going to have to bring the Easter special back just to fit all the Easter Eggs from that season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think the actual finale about the toxic relationship would work with a new companion, personally. It had to be Clara.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is hard to write off companions. Killing them all seems pretty unnecessarily grim, but the old show's method of them just kind of deciding to stay wherever the Doctor happened to land when the actor was done rarely worked. Moffat doing the whole "they died, but also, they lived a full happy life" for every companion was mostly only annoying because it happened to all of them (and the first time Rory and Amy had already been given a good ending). It's not an easy problem to solve, and Clara is one of the few times it feels like it worked, up there with Mickey, Barbara and Susan, Polly and Ben, and Adric.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Great, now I can hear his voice saying "Rosie..." again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Emperor Dalek looks like he’s been stung by a bunch of bees for trying to eat their honey

"Sir, the Metaltron is speaking. We think it may actually be... singing?"

THE WONDERFUL THING ABOUT DAAAA-LEKS
IS DAAA-LEKS ARE WONDERFUL THINGS
THEIR WEAPONS ARE MADE OUT OF PLUNGERS
THEY'RE COVERED IN BUMPY ROUND THINGS
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! YOU'RE DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE
BUT THE MOST WONDERFUL THING ABOUT DAAA-LEKS IS I'M...THE ONLY ONE

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Sad, minor key version of "The Wonderful Thing about Daleks" plays as the Dalek sadly drifts across the floors, eyestalk down*

Rose: I liked the old, exterminatey Dalek best.
Soldier: Me too.
Solder 2: And me.
*The Doctor stands, triumphant, happy*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

People poo poo on laugh tracks because shows like the Big Bang Theory used them in place of jokes, but certain kinds of shows are greatly enhanced by them.

Nobody complained that Cheers or Seinfeld had a studio audience.

I don't think I could watch a new show that used it now. They started to feel out of place around the time of How I Met Your Mother. They sort of worked in the Jim Burrows days because those kinds of sitcoms really did feel like a stage a lot of the time - they just sort of don't make them like that anymore. The same thing happened with The Office mockumentary device - there were a couple of shows where we just sort of accepted that was the reality, and then it started to suspend disbelief in a way that takes you out of the comedy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

It's psychological; lots of things seem funnier if you can hear other people laughing at them, because you have your own opinion "this is funny and it's okay to laugh at it" immediately validated. The act of laughing itself is often a highly social one; most people will laugh a lot less when they're watching something alone than when they're watching something with at least one other person.

It's not just that, though. The Good Place or Community would feel very strange with a laugh track, because that's not how the humor is presented. The three-camera, in front of an audience feel at least has to be there. It's not even old vs. new - I think the laugh track feels weirdly out of place in any Monty Python sketch that takes place outside. I have a soft spot for Bicycle Repair Man for example, but the laugh track sounds wooden (even though it's as "genuine" as a laugh track gets - MPFS showed video segments to a live audience for the stuff filmed outside). Sometimes the humor is enough to overcome the awkwardness of it (and there are times when the laugh track on MPFS specifically almost feel ironic, despite how standard it would have been).

I think where it gets really bad is when something tries to hit all of the beats of an old studio audience sitcom without the camera-work and the kinds of sets that obviously have that big open wall, at which point it ends up feeling like an alien watched Earth TV and tried to create something similar. I directed a play once about TV warping people in which all of the sitcoms were portrayed as horrific, and a lot of modern sitcoms feel like that when they shoot for the laugh track and whiff.

I know a lot of people love Modern Family but the "talking to an invisible film crew" thing took me right out of it. I think that device is thankfully falling by the wayside, though. Brooklyn 99 is a good example of a show that borrows some of the shots they'd do in something like Parks and Rec, but disposing of the interviews and mugging at the camera, and I think it's better for it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

You should check out What We Do In the Shadows, which is also mockumentary, but hilarious.

I didn't like it. :(

I watched with a group over Discord during quarantine and it just didn't click, I think because of the mockumentary thing. I know it's me though, lots of people love it (including the friends I watched it with).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The TV show or the film (or both)? I for one found the TV show a lot better

The film, I didn't even know it was a show! I'll give that a try.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thank you, both, I'll give it a go.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The latest season isn’t on HBO Max yet, so TBBS will have to deal with the Battle of Who Could Care Less for now.

Oh, really? I've been slowly rewatching here and there, hoping that I could get to the current season and finally watch the finale (I've been putting it off since it got panned). I guess I can wait a little longer, though, it'll likely hit HBO before any new season starts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Super glad he feels comfortable getting back into the role. I hope he enjoys the lunches and stays on to record tons of stories. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

There’s talk that Eccleston has story approval.

That's probably a good thing. He seems to have good taste and it means he'll be enthusiastic about his involvement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

And of course, there's the famous Tom story of meeting with Nick Briggs and David Richardson to talk about ideas for series 1 and 2 of the Fourth Doctor adventures. Tom had a legal pad full of story ideas that he read off of, and later, when Tom was out of the room, Nick took a peek at it to make sure he hadn't missed anything. The pad was blank.

lmao I love this goofy show and all of its behind-the-scenes weirdness.

Like, normally I'd guess this was apocryphal, but the only thing that could have been more Tom Baker is if it had just had "Rosie Ball" written on it, underlined.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

BF Six is a totally different, far superior version of the character. I'm so happy Colin finally got to play him his way, if BF had did nothing else that alone makes it all worthwhile

I thought Colin's acting was a part of the problem with Six's run until I heard some of his Big Finish run, and he turned into my favorite Doctor to listen to (I haven't gotten to Tom's stories yet, or any of the New Who Doctors). Big Finish Six has a sentimental love for his companions that I don't think the TV show has ever really nailed yet. The sad way that he has to say goodbye to Charlie in particular is really well done. I'm glad he got a second chance at the role without all the baggage from his TV era.

Davros1 posted:

He was later asked about the pad in an interview, and his response was "I don't know what I was thinking."

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like Ten, but mopey is definitely a descriptor for his run. He goes from manically yelling about bananas to staring into the camera with wet eyes and doing the whole "I'm the last of the Time Lord, Rose. There's no one left, they all burned" thing all the time.