Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Okay, after several years of careful careful completion I have developed a pretty substantial backlog of PS4 games accidentally. I have also managed to leave several games half finished over the year and I want to clean that poo poo up.

I'm having decision paralysis regarding how to tackle the issue and could use some Confessional relief about why they are half done, as well as any insight that goons could offer.

So, in order of when I stopped playing them I have:

Nioh
The start of my backlog. I like the game a lot, and only have a few missions in the DLC3 to do. I am not doing The Grand Tournament or any of the mission unlocked by masteries not on my build. Mostly stopped to play Judgment, but also because I felt like the game hadn't shown me anything new since the midpoint of DLC1.

Judgment
I know it's dumb, but I just need to finish a Legend difficulty run to get my Platinum. This was my GOTY last year and I actually look forward to this.

Battle Chef Brigade
Don't know why I stopped playing. Was having fun, but got distracted. Pretty sure I was about 3/4 through.

Rondo of Blood
loving Death.

Silver Case
Really enjoyed the first couple chapters, it's slow to play but again, not sure why I stopped.

Curse of the Moon
Finished the first storyline, looking forward to the rest. Just wasn't in the mood for a long time.

Watch Dogs 1
Felt like a shooter and started playing. I had just finished chapter 3. Pacing is horrible and I hate all the characters. It's somewhat fun to play, and I have literally all of the side content done now (separate from pacing issues). This one is basically lowest priority, but I do want to finish. That and I got Death Stranding as a present at the time.

Bioshock 1
See above basically, only the game is way better. And it was already on the "Never Finished It On XBox" list.

Control DLC
Haven't even started it, but it's ready to go. Would have started it already but Doom Eternal came out.

FF7R
Stopped because I needed to finish BoTW and Bayonetta 2 in order to return my friend's Switch. At least that cleared then off the backlog. This is also the last in progress game, baring the yet to be released Doom Eternal DLC.

My list of Fresh Games is much worse, I won't post details but could still use help with opinions if anyone wants to offer.

AC: Odyssey, Sekiro, Watch Dogs 2, The Evil Within, Dishonored 2/DotO, Wolf 2, Alien Isolation, Bioshock 2, JJ Macfield, 25th Ward, 428 Shibuya Scramble, Knack 1/2, The Witness, Doom 64, Uncharted 3/4, Spider-Man, Yakuza 3-5, RE2/3, The Last of Us Remastered

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I was about to say I don't have Infinite, but apparently it was included in the collection. I had no real interest in playing it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I decided to power through and finish Nioh. My build is a glass cannon so the final few levels of the DLC took some real effort. It unlocked 4 more missions all of which are some extreme super boss bullshit. Decided that was good enough and called it done. I don't regret the decision. Feels good to clear that 50gb off the PS4 after a year.

Next up I think I will finish The Silver Case. It's a nice slow visual novel and I could use the change of pace.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just wrapped up The Silver Case with the Platinum Trophy. Very good story, possibly Suda at his most coherent that I have ever seen. It was a very easy Platinum as long as you know where to unlock the Hidden Trophy on certain chapters. Added maybe half an hour to the entirely linear visual novel.

The game deals with some serious topics in general, but I highly recommend it to anyone who can tolerate an extremely dated visual novel. I have Flower, Sun, Rain on my pending list, but I think I might jump queue as I really want to see where this whole thing goes. It's also an original DS game and has been on my list for a super long time. It had mostly written it off until the remaster of The Silver Case came out. I also might sneak in a quick replay of Killer7 before starting the sequel to The Silver Case and FSR, The 25th Ward. Mostly because they are are a part of "Kill The Past" story line, Suda51's other major ongoing story other than No More Heroes. Although, they all supposedly take place in the same universe, but it's all rife with inconsistencies.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Tick another one off, Battle Chef Brigade is wrapped.

Overall it was fun. Could see it being good in multiplayer, but can't see myself returning for a second playthrough.

Think I will treat myself an clean up the Control DLC next.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The Talos Principle is one of my favorite puzzle games of all time along with the Road To Gehenna DLC. I managed to solve all the core puzzles on my own, but don't feel at all ashamed for looking up solutions to the Star Puzzles. They are more like super obscure secrets in a Serious Sam game rather than actual puzzles and are some bullshit as a result.

I think you may need a certain number of Stars to access the last set of puzzles, but not all of them.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Flower, Sun and Rain is done. Excellent game overall even if it specializes in wasting your time and mocking you for engaging with it. Extremely tedious at times and the puzzles are hit or miss (and technically all the same), but Suda51 through and through.

Also been working through Curse of the Moon. Done 3 of 6 endings. My average loop is about an hour and a half now, so really not much longer either.

I think I will start up The 25th Ward as my cool down game though. Silver Case and FSR had me riveted and I want to know where this goes.

Backlog wise I think I've settled on Watch Dogs 1 and continuing to run CoTM. There are fewer missions in the entire remaining game than there were in chapter 2 of WD1, so hopefully it won't be drawn out. Once I run out of endings to CoTM I plan on finishing up Rondo of Blood as well. I watched a video of how to beat Death and it doesn't seem that bad really. :commissar:

Zushio fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 18, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have finished Watch_Dogs 1. I have gotten the Platinum. I hate myself. There is still DLC to do.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Blah, Watch_Dogs 1 DLC in the bag. The story was better than the main game. The addition of the RC Car was pure brilliance and made doing missions a lot more fun. Way too many goddamn side missions for a a DLC this size.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Haven't been in the mood for too much gaming, also PSO2 has taken up a lot of game time currently.

I did manage to run though the two story DLCs for the original Dishonored. Had the game for years, but only got the DLC recently. Very good, highly enjoyable. Currently working on Bioshock 1 and remembered how much I hated The Farmer's Market when I originally played years ago. Saved at the beginning of Fort Frolic now, which I remeber enjoying. When I played originally I got to the part where you become a big daddy, but that was when the game came out.

Also slowly playing The 25th Ward, which is extremely good.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 26, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
And Bioshock 1 is done with a Platinum. I also got the trophies on the challenge rooms, because why not. Good game overall, but I feel it didn't age super well. The atmosphere and story telling hold up, but the level design feels kinda boring and lacks any meaningful degree of verticality. It doesn't feel like a full immersive shooter experience to me, at least not compared with Deus Ex or later games like Dishonered or Prey.

Probably the biggest reason was how lacking the game was for meaningful choices during gameplay. Pretty much everything comes down to murder or making something else murder. There is stealth in the sense that you can get some move speed and sneak damage with the wrench, but no non-lethal options or ways to remove enemies from an area without killing them. Sure, you can draw them off for a moment, but the alerts don't last long and they quickly resume positions. Hacking cameras, turrets and bots just gives you more firepower. Obviously the active camouflage is an exception to what I'm saying, and is capable of completely negating some of the scripted events.

Either way, once you get some wrench upgrades and research there is basically no situation where the optimal solution isn't just rush in spamming electrobolt and wrench. Hack any turret, bot or camera you find in the process and its even easier. Daddies are a pain and sometimes just turn into "Do You Have Enough Medkits, And Can You Hit The Medkit Button Fast Enough" but chain stun to wrench works fine until midgame when you just dump 4 rounds of explosive buck into them, then swap to electro gel and stunlock them till death. The Gel works the same way on the final boss too.

The gunplay feels sloppy and without the auto aim on the PS4 version bordered on unplayable. This is coming from someone who immediatly turns auto-aim off or down extremely low. The Plasmids in particular feel terrible to aim, with Shock being the worst offender. It feels like it has absolutely no margin for error. Once I turned auto-aim back on the gameplay improved significantly. Obviously slogging through on Survivor was my own call, but still. I had basically maxed out resources by the end of Fort Frolic, and never had any scarcity again. I kept forgetting how rarely the game auto-saved, and lost chunks of progress a number of times. That's on me though, although slightly more auto-saves would have been appreciated. Or none, so I would remember to save after clearing a whole level before dying of stupidity. Obviously I know about the Vita-Chambers, and the encounter design is clearly done with them in mind. Since I wanted the Plat in one run I turned them off outright in the main menu.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 29, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Got Curse of the Moon completed with all ending and the Boss Rush clear. Excellent game, very fun and pretty challenging for some of the solo Zangetsu runs.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Finished up The Last of Us Remastered along with the DLC. Was decent. Technically have finished The 25th Ward, but I want that Plat. Which means watching the last chapter another 80 times to see the rest of the endings. I'll get there, its only a five minute chapter so I can do it while watching stuff.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Haven't managed to finish anything backlog lately, but also haven't been gaming as much. Currently working on AC: Odyssey. I'm one chapter 7 of 10, but closer to 50% in terms of total completion of the base game. I am aiming for the Plat since only one or two easy trophies were out of the way from 100% ingame completion, which is my usual plan. I have the DLC, but will probably take a break after the main game since my game time is already 90 hours.

I'm also working on Ghost Trick for the DS as an easy relaxation thing. It's super good. Also still plugging away at the 100 endings for The 25th Ward, only like 50 more to go. The final DLC for Control drops next week, so that will interrupt things too.

Oh, I did sneak in a playthrough of Battlefront 2 and enough multiplayer to get a feel for it. Story was 5 or 6 hours and I played about as much multi. It was all fine. My goto multiplayer remains GBO2 however.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Finished the second Control DLC. I enjoyed it, but its very much what you would expect from a second DLC almost a year after the game. Didn't clear up any lingering plot threads, but there weren't a tonne left after the previous DLC. Mostly a setup for a sequel and/or a new Alan Wake game. It also includes some hilariously OP new mods and a truly game breakup power upgrade.

Otherwise, I feel like the rest of this is a repeat of last time. Still playing Ghost Trick on the side, but only done a chapter further.

AC: Odyssey I am still on chapter 7, but like 25 hours later. Just one more main questline/map region left until I can actually move on to Chapter 8. To be fair, I also cleared out most of the remaining non-plot related islands and territories, as well as finished half the Artifact Questline. This game is pushing absurd levels of content, particularly if you are going for 100% completion/Platinum, which I am because I am broken with no life. I'm still absolutely having fun, its just remarkable how much crap there is to do.

I hit the original level cap of 50 at about the halfway point of the game, and am already at 61 of 70 for the revised level cap from one of the expansions. Apparently they moved the cap to 99 at some point, but even when you hit it you still can gain more skill points. At 50 you also get access to a whole bunch of overpower levels (literally hundreds) that you can spend your skill points on instead of skill levels. I will have every single skill I want (All passives, 8 melee skills, 4 range skills) at maximum level by 67 thanks to the bonus skill points scattered around the map. I suspect I will hit mid 80s by endgame (at least) and who knows what during the 6 DLC.

At 115 hours so far thats only 25 hours short of my entire playthrough of Witcher 3 + DLC, which while I didn't Plat did do roughly 100% ingame completion on Deathmarch. Most likely I will hit 150 before the end of the main game, at which point I am taking a huge break before doing the first 3 DLC, which will also take me to the remaining map areas to finish off the Plat. I have done 100% ingame for literally every AC game since the first, excluding the mobile and portable titles, and this is just kinda... way too loving much. Origins wasn't nearly this bad, I don't think I even crossed 90 hours for my 100% ingame plus DLC playthrough. DLC4-6.. who the hell knows. Certainly getting my $25 worth though.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 1, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Well I did it, I finished the base game of Assassin's Creed Odyssey with all areas 100% clear, except for the 3 areas where the first 3 DLC take place. Final time was 150 hours almost exactly and I hit Level 70 (first revised level cap) with the XP from the final epologue mission. I got the best ending.

Overall I enjoyed it, but the bloat was real. It never stopped being fun, and I was massively overpowered pretty quickly. I really didn't run into any of the complaints people have about assassination being weak. Only the very highest level enimies could survive a critical assassination by about midgame, and they would usually have only a tiny bit of health left which an Overpower combo or Rage of the Bloodline would clean up nicely. I didn't even use that engraving that gives you double damage at the expense of quarter max health, since it would have made the game far too easy. Played on hard with the default level scaling for the record.

If I did get caught in open combat my Warrior gear slot would get applied and I would be practically invincible unless there was like 6 enemies at once. Toward endgame I absolutely was fighting off entire forts, the reinforcements and whatever mercenaries would show up. For fun. I didn't use much Hunter build, but it is broken quite frankly and that was more or a personal challenge.

I don't quite have the Plat yet, but the first 3 DLC will take me to the remaining areas which should be all I need for it. Started the first one already, seems pretty quickly paced compared to the base game. I know all about the controversy and don't care to dredge it up, gonna play it anyway since I paid for it and this is the obsessive game completion/write off thread.

Oh I also played through CoD WW2. It was okay. The story was kinda dumb and seemed to confused as to whether fighting for personal glory or sacrifice for the greater good was more noble. Even after it seemingly settled on the latter. I did somewhat enjoy the banter between the characters, and the gunplay was good as always. I didn't so any multi, just the story and moved on.

Next up I am playing Knack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

bowmore posted:

How do ya’ll choose what game to play?

I like to get black out drunk, then whatever game is downloaded when I sober up thats the new game.

Related beat Knack 1 and 2.