Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What was the piano song a cover of when Delores is driving to the party? I thought I recognized it

Massive Attack - Dissolved Girl

https://youtu.be/GAiceRuLX1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAiceRuLX1I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
that mystery AI machine low key running the world is The Machine from Person of Interest y’all. The guy controlling it is Mr Finch’s great great great grandkid.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What was the piano song a cover of when Delores is driving to the party? I thought I recognized it

I thought it was just a piano cover to the intro to Dissolved Girl, which kicks in when she changes into the dress while walking.

Edit: Beaten. Loved that it was in here though, great song.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Just a whole bunch of semi automatic gunfire in the middle of an urban park in Neo-LA. Guess the cops don't really care and have bigger problems to deal with?

The whole episode was pretty cringey. Ugh. This series is turning into another Walking Dead.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I said come in! posted:

Teddy deserved better

Facts.

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch this tonight or watch more of the 9 members of SNSD caring for a baby first, tbh. I also still have this week's Drag Race to watch. Priorities ...

I'll be glad to have ERW projected into my eyeballs every week tho.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

beanieson posted:

that mystery AI machine low key running the world
Lol if this just ends up being a Matrix in a Matrix situation.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Loving s3 so far. The writing may be shaky and inconsistent, but at the very least it's always interesting and entertaining.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Laughing a lot at the money Aaron Paul made from the crimes app literally being called CRIME COINS

Also at the babysitting job that was on there

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I so very badly want a signal jammer that forces all comms devices to blare Death Grips music.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the series building to some kind of thandie newton vs erw showdown is something i've always wanted so i hope that's what is happenin

and i genuinely like having mystery for who the final five cylons are. i hope those are the only mysteries of this season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Despera posted:

Yay no more poo poo thread title

wow. mods?

I said come in! posted:

I see you are a goon of culture. :hmmyes:

mods??!

I like the good citizens of the last bad thread pick that title tyvm!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

At this point, Rockstar should hire Nolan to write their next GTA. They could easily afford him, too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Aaron Paul accepting crime jobs from his phone like in GTA Online.

Also it’s mostly fetch quest poo poo which is....probably realistic as far as a gta app irl would go

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

FilthyImp posted:

Person of Interest wasn’t a matrix style simulation. There was an AI created by the big eyed dude from lost and it’s job was to watch everyone on the planet and predict when someone would be killed ahead of time, so that people could intervene. But the Machine gets too powerful and learns too much and they have to neuter it and blah blah blah for like 5 pretty good seasons of television. That show used similar title cards to the “anomaly detected” type stuff we saw on WW last night, and both shows were written and created by Nolan.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm laughing at the fact that in the entire history of music, the people of the future just want to listen to Pulp.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Escobarbarian posted:

Laughing a lot at the money Aaron Paul made from the crimes app literally being called CRIME COINS

The crime gig app really was the breakout star of the ep.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I would of liked this episode much more if they didn't introduce a bigger dumber mystery with a "who's behind it". I'd watch an entire series of Jesse and the crime app that was fantastic.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Westworld season premiere and we’re at 2 pages. Man, S2 took the wind out of everyone’s sails.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Westworld season premiere and we’re at 2 pages. Man, S2 took the wind out of everyone’s sails.

It doesn't help either that there has been a 2 year hiatus. This happened to Game of Thrones but no where near this level.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There isn't much of a hook for this season, aside from "there is a big AI." I came away from last night's episode wondering what was even going on and where things are going.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

My gf excitedly reminded me that it premiered last night but instead we watched 12 monkeys, which is my second time in as many days

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

My gf excitedly reminded me that it premiered last night but instead we watched 12 monkeys, which is my second time in as many days

The wife and I are going to watch Contagion tonight. I saw that movie has surged in popularity over the last few weeks. :thunk:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That's a good one! Just rewatched it and outbreak. Outbreak is definitely a product of the 90s

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed the first episode and enjoy the direction so far. I understand being critical of the show but sometimes it's not clear to me what people think would be a better direction or story at this junction based off of where they've taken the show so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Going to be hilarious if that rich guy and his paranoid ranting was foreshadowing for this twist.

General Probe posted:

I enjoyed the first episode and enjoy the direction so far. I understand being critical of the show but sometimes it's not clear to me what people think would be a better direction or story at this junction based off of where they've taken the show so far.

Maybe explain why Dolores wants control of the mystery machine so badly. Also why Bernard decides he suddenly has to go back to Westworld instead of trying to hide somewhere else.

Basically:

Max posted:

There isn't much of a hook for this season, aside from "there is a big AI." I came away from last night's episode wondering what was even going on and where things are going.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

esperterra posted:

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch this tonight or watch more of the 9 members of SNSD caring for a baby first, tbh.

Nine?

They're acknowledging Jessica exists again?

Escobarbarian posted:

From the icon, I'm guessing it was taking care of a hostage or maybe even kidnapping someone.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That break-action glock was pretty cool v:shobon:v

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Sockser posted:

That break-action glock was pretty cool v:shobon:v

It’s a real thing https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/full-conceal-m3d-pistol-shot-show-2018/

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

beanieson posted:

that mystery AI machine low key running the world is The Machine from Person of Interest y’all. The guy controlling it is Mr Finch’s great great great grandkid.

I love Westworld and will eat it up no matter how they serve it, but it's become clear to me that it would be a much better show if all it's crazy ideas were delivered
in a more traditional tv show package, like Person of Interest. The way it hybridized crime procedural into action thriller into cyberpunk ruled and you can sort of see
the shapes of it in the Dolores/Caleb stories.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Max posted:

I'm laughing at the fact that in the entire history of music, the people of the future just want to listen to Pulp.

it was always a funny immersion-breaker that 500 years from now everyone is still into whatever bullshit the gen-x showrunners think is cool

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Seriously, 99 Red Balloons, Dissolved Girl, and Common People is a lot of music from the 80's / 90's to include in just one episode about the future.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Before posting, I had searched for break-action glock
After posting, I realized I could also search for folding glock
And that led me to watching a 22 minute demo video on it

What a dumb loving gun that looks great on camera

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

New season owns. Last season wasn’t as good as season one, but watched together all at once it’s still pretty great.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

little munchkin posted:

it was always a funny immersion-breaker that 500 years from now everyone is still into whatever bullshit the gen-x showrunners think is cool

Honestly. The style doesn't feel particularly futuristic. It felt like the world of a Tesla rendering. Just sort of a low-effort derivative of boring Deviant Art sci-fi concept art.

Everything pretty much screamed "the same, but with neat overhead lighting and smoother". There didn't appear to be any kind of unifying thematic style, concept or pattern-language that signaled that it was the future, save for the dense urban landscapes and sparkling clean LA metro system.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

sitchensis posted:

Honestly. The style doesn't feel particularly futuristic. It felt like the world of a Tesla rendering. Just sort of a low-effort derivative of boring Deviant Art sci-fi concept art.

Everything pretty much screamed "the same, but with neat overhead lighting and smoother". There didn't appear to be any kind of unifying thematic style, concept or pattern-language that signaled that it was the future, save for the dense urban landscapes and sparkling clean LA metro system.

I mean yeah rich people have dull taste and they get to shape the world according to their obsessions,

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Season makes no sense, but it never did and I'm totally here for it. Dolores is badass and sexy as always, Jesse Pinkman is here to be Working Class Hero, and I'm really enjoying the future so far.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Westworld continues to make me wanna hate it despite having all the right ingredients. I think i will follow this thread to find out what bohemian Skynet is about which is the only thing that slightly caught my interest.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

General Probe posted:

I am just happy we are even getting a season 3. I felt that after season 2, the show could have wrapped up there and be done.

sitchensis posted:

I think we are maybe looking at this future in the wrong way. It's not hundreds of years from our own time or anything, its only about 25 - 30 years away, and looks to try to be based on where society is heading now with its world problems. The show is taking a very critical critique to wealthy live styles, and I feel that we as the audience, are meant to be disgusted or turned off with how these people live. Especially since that is how Dolores feels. There is still 9 more episodes of world building to do, and if Westworld does anything, its present this stuff extremely slowly.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 16, 2020

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
7 more episodes, not 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Problematic Pigeon posted:

7 more episodes, not 9.

:smith: Not a fan of this trend of very short seasons. 10 episodes is about the sweet spot for me.