Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there any way the big bad of Fallout isn't an insane AI like the president in FO3? I feel like Nolan has exactly one show in him and he's going to keep making it until they stop giving him money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There was a contest to score a scene of Westworld with the judges being JJ Abrams, Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy and Ramin Djawadi. This was the winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSwWSqxuRD4

Guys I'm beginning to think that the showrunners might be idiots. I wish they had the contest before the season started and actually used that during the episode so people would've known right then and there to stop watching.
hahahah ooooooh my god what!?!
The sad thing is, I'm not sure if this makes the "high speed" chase where some shots are obviously done at 10mph better, or worse.

God drat every action set-piece in this season sucked so much rear end. I had to turn off the post-credit "making of" sections because listening to them explaining how amazing they were for making them gave me mental whiplash.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll watch Ramin Djawadi and the cinematographer's Fallout show

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

Is there any way the big bad of Fallout isn't an insane AI like the president in FO3? I feel like Nolan has exactly one show in him and he's going to keep making it until they stop giving him money.

I can imagine him in class just completely ignoring his professor and just circling DEUS EX MACHINA on a single notebook page thousands of times, repeated endlessly on every page.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Bethesda's problem with Fallout is forgetting that Bloody Mess and Weird Encounters were toggles you weren't supposed to use on a first playthrough...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The thing that bugs me the most (other than the shoddy writing) is them setting most of their games post-FO1 and FO2 but having the world still look like it would only shortly after the bombs, whereas in FO2 society was already well into rebuilding poo poo.

Just set them earlier ffs

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

esperterra posted:

The thing that bugs me the most (other than the shoddy writing) is them setting most of their games post-FO1 and FO2 but having the world still look like it would only shortly after the bombs, whereas in FO2 society was already well into rebuilding poo poo.

My favorite piece of ~*~ environmental storytelling ~*~ in Fallout 4 was rusted out trucks that hadn't moved in 200 years with tire tracks behind them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Entropic posted:

My favorite piece of ~*~ environmental storytelling ~*~ in Fallout 4 was rusted out trucks that hadn't moved in 200 years with tire tracks behind them.

The nukes hardened the ground or something

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Entropic posted:

Mine is the people who have been living in an old diner, turning it into a trading post, but never bothered to remove the 200+ year old skeletons still sitting in their dining seats.

Also for some reason Boston is a desert instead of 10m below sea level?

And why do those guys in Diamond city have accents when their family has lived in Boston for something like 10 generations?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fallouts 1, 2, and New Vegas are some of the greatest games of all time.

It's the Bethesda games that are poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Fallouts 1, 2, and New Vegas are some of the greatest games of all time.

It's the Bethesda games that are poo poo.

It is known.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

I can imagine him in class just completely ignoring his professor and just circling DEUS EX MACHINA on a single notebook page thousands of times, repeated endlessly on every page.

My internal theory is he thinks it isn’t a cliché if it’s literally a machine as powerful as god.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There was a contest to score a scene of Westworld with the judges being JJ Abrams, Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy and Ramin Djawadi. This was the winner:

Guys I'm beginning to think that the showrunners might be idiots. I wish they had the contest before the season started and actually used that during the episode so people would've known right then and there to stop watching.

Wtf? I guess we have studio meddling to thank for this season not ending up like The Room 2 :Rise of the Machines? Thank god for soulless ghoul executives

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That seems suspect because gently caress those other 3 people, but Djawadi is legitimately talented and I can't imagine this not being nails on a chalkboard to them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

That seems suspect because gently caress those other 3 people, but Djawadi is legitimately talented and I can't imagine this not being nails on a chalkboard to them.

When you're judging these sorts of things, there is just a pile of similar stuff and you have to randomly pick one. :shrug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was this ever posted? It’s not as good as Sir Anthony playing for Niblo, but it still promises something much better than the actual finale.

When did Valkyrie even get a samurai sword? I’m guessing I just forgot. I also don’t remember her sensible footwear.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Was this ever posted? It’s not as good as Sir Anthony playing for Niblo, but it still promises something much better than the actual finale.

When did Valkyrie even get a samurai sword? I’m guessing I just forgot. I also don’t remember her sensible footwear.

That looks awesome and fun and gently caress the haters, they should keep making the show so the cast and crew can keep hanging out.

Also Stubbs + Bernard spinoff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bernard shows up in The Last of Us 2 and has a small role but plays it very well. You can immediately tell it’s him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That's Thandie Newton.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wish samurai lady and Clementine could be in more than one scene next time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

esperterra posted:

That's Thandie Newton.

Wow that’s embarrassing and I feel like melting into the floor, but holy poo poo she looks like a completely different person when she’s having fun and doing something other than grimacing. She looks 20 years younger there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was like “I have watched every episode of this stupid show who the gently caress is Valkyrie?”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Goonfaceblindness is a terrible disease which affects many posters. For just pennies a day, less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you can help us work towards a cur...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

esperterra posted:

Yeah, by all rights any story set two centuries after the apocalypse is post-post-apocalyptic. Either humanity got crippled enough in the apocalypse that it would died out in that timeframe, or it'd be bouncing back, pretty hard to thread the needle and have humanity exist in a state of permanent mild apocalypse.

For an example relevant to Fallout, the duration of time the protagonist of FO4 spent chilling in a vault is the exact same as between the American declaration of independence and the meltdown in Chernobyl. Even if society got bombed back to that sort of agricultural society, that still leaves enough time to restart some sort of industrial society - though proper industrialization would be hampered by a lot of resources having been used up the first time around. In the case of America that'd probably mean a return to pre-Civil War economic structures. Guess having tiretracks surviving 200 years is superior to having game writers attempt to touch that subject...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Goonfaceblindness is a terrible disease which affects many posters. For just pennies a day, less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you can help us work towards a cur...
"Doesn't look like anyone to me"

Bust Rodd posted:

Consider the possibility that the other entries were worse. Alternatively, this was the one that came closest to matching the quality of the chase sequence.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

So I never actually finished the latest season past the first 3 episodes and then watched about a minute of this and then got very mad and came back to post, that uh, why the gently caress are you not watching Perry Mason?

wtf is perry mason? sounds like one of those shows you used to see on cable when that was a thing, on those channels that only aired old people cop shows and westerns 24/7.

Fallout series could easily be better than the games, especially the Bethesda ones. Environmental storytelling, aka a couple of skeleton props and a teddy bear + a computer with a short story "for sale: two baby shoes, never worn" style is Bethesda's one and only trick. Hey, it's a cute one, but that's all they got. They're actively hunting for ways to avoid writing their own games anymore, the day an algorithm can handle the main quest is the best day of Todd Howard's life.

The most interesting thing about Fallout is it's premise, which is an incredibly popular and common one with a ton of great executions and variants. Half of California naturally looks like apocalypse. Hollywood has apocalypses down by now, I can trust them to do that much. I'm kind of curious if they take the 2077 apocalypse premise and run with it, go FO1/2 where it's a grittier 80s type apocalypse, or lean in to Bethesda's hilarious 50s fetish, which isn't a bad aesthetic but is anachronistic according to their own worldbuilding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm I wonder if this not good video game will make a good show?

:thunk:

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think this is vastly superior to what was on the show assuming you’re trying to establish a ‘genre’ and stuck with that footage.

Retro gaming is at least a genre.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Finally got around to watching that video. I assume that was the only entry?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
"I don't know just pick one, I told you not to bother me with stuff like this anymore."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s a good fit for the scene since it’s supposed to be a wacky party drug which. I don’t know why so many people seem to hate it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Late to the party, this season was sloppy just like S2. I have so many thoughts/complaints but I'll just list a few that immediately come to mind.

1. Did they retcon the hell out of what happened at the park during S2? It was a blood bath, with lots of guests, technicians, and security being gunned down. S3 opens with media reporting 75 dead, most of them being Delos board members. That seemed low, and evidently none of these insanely rich and powerful people used their influence to destroy Delos? The public just didn't seem to care that robots designed to perfectly mimic humans rebelled and killed a bunch of people? Charlores claps her hands at the board meeting and there's no real fallout from the bloodbath that was S2.

2. Bernard and Stubbs did nothing, and they never explore Bernard's treatment of stubbs as a slave. A host using another host for the greater good is an interesting dilemma for a character but it barely comes up. Bernard uses Stubbs the same way that humans did, but Stubbs just gives him an "ohhh you" look whenever he gets frozen.

3. Charlores caring for Charlottes family doesn't make sense since Charlotte herself didn't seem to give a gently caress and Dolores wouldn't have a reason to either. Empathy is a thing, yeah, but I feel like you need more buildup for an AI that was enslaved by humans. Morever, empathizing with her human family made her want revenge against....all humans?

4. My boyfriend and I said "ahhhh" outloud when Bikelores took one for the team. Which says a lot about how much we cared about the other characters this season.

5. Dempsey Jr. was really dumb and eager to share his families secrets with the woman he had been dating for a month.

6. The super-smart AI doesn't make multiple backups or distribute itself through some kind of cloud. It just chills in a building that's easily accessible and barely protected.

7. The public reaction to the data mining/AI was lame and often funny. People just reacted with immediate animal rage and started smashing random poo poo. It felt like there were never enough extras, so society breaking down is the occasional trash can being knocked over and like one guy throwing a brick at a window. Its not until the last episode that we see something resembling an actual mob directing their anger at Insight.

8. We wanted more from the reveal that Delos had been building profiles on all of their guests but it barely comes up beyond the data being a mcguffin.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 10, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How would you feel if you couldn't seem to advance in life no matter how hard you try, and then you, and everyone else around you, gets a message that has accurate information you don't think anyone else would know, and then it also tells you that a computer somewhere already figured your life out and has been actively holding you down? I don't think it would be very hard for people to decide to start smashing things.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

How would you feel if you couldn't seem to advance in life no matter how hard you try, and then you, and everyone else around you, gets a message that has accurate information you don't think anyone else would know, and then it also tells you that a computer somewhere already figured your life out and has been actively holding you down? I don't think it would be very hard for people to decide to start smashing things.

I don't think that anger would be directed at random people. Violent chaos erupts when one mass of people meets another that won't back down. The background extras in S3 are mostly fighting eachother or breaking random windows. It's especially dumb looking because there are so few of them, the streets are mostly empty.

I fully expect some relationships to break down, but I'd imagine most people would be moving towards a mob seeking revenge against Insight and it feels like we only saw that in the last episode. Like, if I learned my fate was decided by an AI I'd immediately want to know what rich rear end in a top hat is responsible. I don't think I'd just turn to chaos.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Elderbean posted:

Late to the party, this season was sloppy just like S2. I have so many thoughts/complaints but I'll just list a few that immediately come to mind.

1. Did they retcon the hell out of what happened at the park during S2? It was a blood bath, with lots of guests, technicians, and security being gunned down. S3 opens with media reporting 75 dead, most of them being Delos board members. That seemed low, and evidently none of these insanely rich and powerful people used their influence to destroy Delos? The public just didn't seem to care that robots designed to perfectly mimic humans rebelled and killed a bunch of people? Charlores claps her hands at the board meeting and there's no real fallout from the bloodbath that was S2.

2. Bernard and Stubbs did nothing, and they never explore Bernard's treatment of stubbs as a slave. A host using another host for the greater good is an interesting dilemma for a character but it barely comes up. Bernard uses Stubbs the same way that humans did, but Stubbs just gives him an "ohhh you" look whenever he gets frozen.

3. Charlores caring for Charlottes family doesn't make sense since Charlotte herself didn't seem to give a gently caress and Dolores wouldn't have a reason to either. Empathy is a thing, yeah, but I feel like you need more buildup for an AI that was enslaved by humans. Morever, empathizing with her human family made her want revenge against....all humans?

4. My boyfriend and I said "ahhhh" outloud when Bikelores took one for the team. Which says a lot about how much we cared about the other characters this season.

5. Dempsey Jr. was really dumb and eager to share his families secrets with the woman he had been dating for a month.

6. The super-smart AI doesn't make multiple backups or distribute itself through some kind of cloud. It just chills in a building that's easily accessible and barely protected.

7. The public reaction to the data mining/AI was lame and often funny. People just reacted with immediate animal rage and started smashing random poo poo. It felt like there were never enough extras, so society breaking down is the occasional trash can being knocked over and like one guy throwing a brick at a window. Its not until the last episode that we see something resembling an actual mob directing their anger at Insight.

8. We wanted more from the reveal that Delos had been building profiles on all of their guests but it barely comes up beyond the data being a mcguffin.

1. Do you believe the US government’s COVID numbers?

2. Bernard/Stubbs buddy-cop spin-off was wasted, yes.

3. I think this was a ham-fisted attempt at ~the hosts are better than humans~ since her caring about the family blew her cover.

4. Bikelores rules. Lack of Dolorgy drools.

5. Trust Fund Failsons are like that. See George Popadopolous for more information.

6. I’m going to go with changing hardware is like changing your brain: it may be technically possible, but functionally useless for an individual, which the AI seems like.

7. Yeah, I think the last few months have shown us that most people (Americans, at least) would shrug and keep going about the motions of their daily lives. The idea that people would be insta-divorcing and committing suicide is...ummmmm...rather optimistic?

8. Yeah. Dupelores copies about 3 people instead of slowly replacing everything she meets with copies of herself. Like, bitch should be inside of birds and horses and jeeps and predator drones and...birds!!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also I want the cyberpunk adventures of Ash, Giggles, and Bikelores.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Season 3 sucked and I don't know why people are effort posting to explain it, and I refuse to read anything more than a sentence of what they have to say to defend it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe cyberpunk 2077 will be the season 3 we all wanted

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look this might be a weird complaint but did anyone else feel like Aaron Paul was just completely wasted and like why even bother spending all that money to get that guy and then give him absolutely nothing to work with.

Like instead of lines, he just kept repeating what the other more important characters told him what was happening. Even while metatextually deconstructing the fact that he has no agency in his own life.. he has no agency.

That was my biggest bummer, my second being like the above said, Bernard’s “plot” this season is just absolute nonsense and there’s no read on Dolores behavior that makes him and Stubbs make sense.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Aaron Paul was the only good thing about this season, if they had a lesser actor in his place this season would drop from mediocre to terrible like season 2.

He was worth the money IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm rewatching s4 of breaking bad and it's where AP really comes into his own

nothing else I've seen him in has used him as good as breaking bad. Ww included