Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I cannot imagine how confused and uninterested I would be if this had been season 1.

Also LMAO that they fell rear end backwards into Anthony Hopkins and Isabella Rosalinni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t see how you could start with this neuromancer adaptation and have any claim to calling it westworld. There are no cowboy robots eating the tourists, which is the entirety of westworld.

I can see them selling the show with “and we’ll throw a curveball that changes up the premise and the setting around season three, then move into the far future to end things in season five!” and having a few beats in place without a firm plan for getting from one to the other. But you need robot cowboys running amok or else there’s no connection to the westworld property. I can see a general through-line of “how AI comes to rule the Earth” as the general through-line of the series, but “robots escape the park and challenge the human order” is definitely the middle for a story like that.

No show can have a meticulous plan for getting through five-plus seasons because they have to adapt to tons of variables that endlessly shift around. Even Babylon 5 was hamstrung by the number of seasons given to it and some cast changes, and it sacrificed almost everything for the sake of being a serialized narrative.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Arglebargle III posted:

was season 3 good

Nah

Watch it if you need something so-so to watch. But it wasn't good and the ending was unsatisfying

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I can see them selling the show with “and we’ll throw a curveball that changes up the premise and the setting around season three, then move into the far future to end things in season five!” and having a few beats in place without a firm plan for getting from one to the other. But you need robot cowboys running amok or else there’s no connection to the westworld property. I can see a general through-line of “how AI comes to rule the Earth” as the general through-line of the series, but “robots escape the park and challenge the human order” is definitely the middle for a story like that.
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. It feels like a game of telephone happening. Like, "We always thought a continuation of the Westworld story would involve exploring the rest of the world and in particular global AI shenanigans" became, "we wanted to do global AI shenanigans in the rest of the world from the start," which kind of became, "we didn't even want to do the cowboys to begin with."

I can believe they wanted to eventually get to the premise of season three from the start, but I can't believe they wanted to start here.

Arglebargle III posted:

was season 3 good
"Good" is hard to say unequivocally. Unlike season 2, it was something completely new, and I think it deserves credit for that. Unlike season 1, it didn't quite come together perfectly. It's got a lot of issues, but it's a new direction for the series. It throws out a lot of new ideas, and whether those ideas completely stick the landing or not, they are at least new ideas.

If you value novelty it was good. If you value tight coherent plotting it could have been better.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

i would say it like this.
season 1: plot drives action
season 2: plot and action are equals
season 3: action drives the plot

season 1 we get tons of world building and things are really complicated and characters have motivations and stuff
season 2 characters have goals to meet, but dont get to build their characters much expect for the whole teddy sub-plot.
season 3 felt like the plot was just excuse to throw cool action into screen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Remember at the end of Season 1, when the implication that there were multiple parks was like this mind-bending realization that filled you with equal parts dread and excitement, and then it turned out there were like 5-6 giant parks and they were all much, much stupider and sillier than we hoped they would be and ended up not mattering or having any plot significance at all (except for apparently housing Ed’s daughter while she banged hunky Indian sexbots all day trying to make daddy mad)?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It felt like any kind of connective tissue in the story was replaced with host fights and hosts fighting one another is one of the most boring things i've ever seen. What if we watched two people fight but they no-sell everything yet still fistfight anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bust Rodd posted:

I cannot imagine how confused and uninterested I would be if this had been season 1.

Also LMAO that they fell rear end backwards into Anthony Hopkins and Isabella Rosalinni

Did I miss Isabella Rossellini at some point? If I did, so did IMDb.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

It felt like any kind of connective tissue in the story was replaced with host fights and hosts fighting one another is one of the most boring things i've ever seen. What if we watched two people fight but they no-sell everything yet still fistfight anyway.

Season 3 was awful. The fight scenes were devoid of any tension or believability.

Looking forward to one giant fight scene comprising the entirety of season 4.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

Did I miss Isabella Rossellini at some point? If I did, so did IMDb.

drat my bad that was Theresa Cullen. The accent through me off.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
What plot significance did you think "there is another park" going to have?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely thought they would reveal that a nearly identical robotic insurrection had already taken place or was simultaneously occurring across multiple parks, but for some reason Westworld Dolores and her specific history with Ed Harris would somehow give her the ruthlessness she needed to overcome the resistance that Giesha Dolores or 1930’s Germany Dolores would otherwise lack and that’s why we focused on this one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like the French resistance versions of the characters would get to consciousness a little faster, given the likely nature of anyone excited about going to a WWII-themed rape-and-murder park.

I don’t imagine many of the people who get really into World War II want to be the allies or the resistance. Maybe there are some people who really want to be Russians moving in on Berlin.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bust Rodd posted:

drat my bad that was Theresa Cullen. The accent through me off.

That’s Sidse Babett Knudsen, and she’s Danish not Italian. She’s really great in the Danish political drama Borgen.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

John DiFool posted:

Season 3 was awful. The fight scenes were devoid of any tension or believability.

Looking forward to one giant fight scene comprising the entirety of season 4.

And it's going to be robots unathletically running around with katanas while everyone whifs punches and shoots guns straight up in the air

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The robots moving at the same speed as everyone else and just being generically good shooty guys is so stupid. I want body horror robots like from I, Robot, where they are constantly spinning their heads like owls and crabwalking up walls or sprinting between bullets or deflecting them with the Katana.

Season 1 really sold me on Androids being stronger and faster and the robuts seem to be less capable and impressive in each successive season.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never understood how tough the robots were supposed to be because sometimes they go down to 1 bullet and sometimes they brush off several

Didn't dolores get shot once and had to be rescued by the guy from Breaking Bad? But I'm pretty sure other times she's been shot she's been fine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think they reveal that that was like a set up and she was just faking it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hosts have a "do a death animation then deactivate when you get shot" boolean that it turns out you can just set to "false"

Woden
May 6, 2006
Different areas of the park were supposed to be tougher, so different stories should have tougher robots. Either that or plot contrivance.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3>>>>>>>2

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Taint posted:

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3>>>>>>>2

drat, I know opinions are subjective, so to each their own, but I'll never get this. I enjoyed season 2 so much more than the big bag of nothing that was season 3.

At least we can all agree season 1 was the best the show ever was, and likely ever will be.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I still maintain that season 3 should have been a buddy detective story following bernard and stubbs as they track dolores by following her trail of mayhem.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

2 felt like it still had much of the show's qualities, but with deliberately confusing timeline jumps to try and retain the mystery and intrigue of the first season with its big reveal. 3 just felt like an action-oriented police procedural you might catch on a weekday night on network television

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
2 worked a lot better on rewatch and during a bingewatch. The climax of the season with the weird portal and stuff is still pretty bad imo.

Season 3 was just a lot of nonsense. It felt very surface level. I waited all season for the Breaking Bad guy to become an important, well realized character and it never happens. He just sort of goes along for the ride and then defaults to some Leader at the end.

Also, when he took those movie genre drugs it was just really badly made. It made me wonder wth the point of that was when each genre was so badly realized during his drug hallucinations

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are so many cooler ways to depict someone being high on drugs than slowing the camera down

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As bad as I thought season 3 was, it had some great ideas. They were just all executed in the most bland way possible.

And their action is still terrible, so a season with so much action at that level of quality was just meh

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bust Rodd posted:

There are so many cooler ways to depict someone being high on drugs than slowing the camera down

I feel like every step of the way someone thought that the next person would make that cool. Like, the writer thought, "I'll just leave this vague so the director has free reign to flesh it out and come up with something really cool", and the director thought, "I'll just shoot a bunch of coverage and the editor will do something interesting", and the editor was like, "Hmmm, I guess I'll just edit this to some temp music and then our music guy will come up with something that really ties it all together", then the music guy quit.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Season 3 was at least somewhat coherent to me, as paper thin as the plot was. Season 2 was wall to wall rear end pulls that just keep contradicting themselves or make no sense.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S2 really felt like, to me, a big case of “we absolutely must squeeze another season of TV out of this expensive set!” like when a vide game releases DLC with recycled tile sets from the main game.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 10, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Big Taint posted:

Season 3 was at least somewhat coherent to me, as paper thin as the plot was. Season 2 was wall to wall rear end pulls that just keep contradicting themselves or make no sense.

Yeah S3 def has that over S2. S2 was more entertaining for me tho.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Season 2 is a mess, but it also has some of the highest highs of the show for me (Kiksuya is far and away my favorite episode). With S3, I can’t actually think of a single thing that left a lasting positive impression. I can barely even remember any specific scenes. Maybe when all the Williams were fighting? I dunno. It not only felt like a completely different show, it felt like a much less interesting and dynamic world altogether.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

not sure if it was worth 100 million dollars but season 3 did give us bikelores

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bikelores is truly the main thing i remember from s3

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i choose to see the beauty in this world. brmm brmm

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing that really stuck with me from S3 is that Dolores is such a piece of poo poo that she radicalized herself which is honesty more than a little clever and deserves credit.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Bravo to the writers for a fight scene between one robot who brought a helicopter with a gun and another who brought a gun with a helicopter.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The whole "season 5 was our original vision" thing sounds like one of those writer comments that gets taken out of context from an interview and wildly misinterpreted. What was the original source on that whole thing?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Season 3 had absolutely no interest in stringing the audience along with bullshit mysteries that were being changed on the fly when Reddit solved them and for that reason it's overall better than Season 2.

Season 2 had a couple of individual episodes that were better than anything in Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Season 3 had absolutely no interest in stringing the audience along with bullshit mysteries that were being changed on the fly when Reddit solved them and for that reason it's overall better than Season 2.

Season 2 had a couple of individual episodes that were better than anything in Season 3.

Season 2 was filmed and in the can, finished, before the first episode of that season aired. There were no alterations mid season.

How many more times does this myth need to be debunked?