Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

by "in the can" i assume you mean "up its own rear end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 2 was filmed and in the can, finished, before the first episode of that season aired. There were no alterations mid season.

How many more times does this myth need to be debunked?

This means the lovely plotting was baked in from the beginning which is even worse

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I will agree that season 2 had probably my two favorite episodes (Kiksuya and Riddle of the Sphinx) of the whole series. But the rest was just aggressively dumb. Season 3 didn’t hit anywhere the same highs but it also wasn’t a complete :facepalm: either.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Season 2 was a lot of treading water. As noted, some great episodes, but it was basically just an epilogue for season 1, drawn out in a convoluted and ultimately meaningless tangle of a plot.

Season 1 was misleadingly non-linear to great effect. There was a reason for it and it worked. Season 2 was confusingly nonlinear just 'cause season 1 was and I guess that's our "thing" now.

Season 3 actually moves the story forward without any bullshit. There are twists, but they're driven by people doing things, not editing. Ultimately doesn't go forward exceptionally well, and hangs way too much emotional weight on action scenes that aren't especially impactful, but at least it's moving into new territory and exploring new ideas.

The best thing about season 3 is that it sets up a post-apocalyptic season 4, where robot cowboys fight in the burning wasteland of a ruined technological society. That's the good poo poo.

The creepiness of a fetishized historical period of lawlessness and violence, transitions directly into a contemporary period of lawlessness and violence. They remade the wild west using robots and it worked way too well.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Pretty telling that the last dozen or so posts have different ideas about the problems with seasons 2 and 3 but they're all correct and nobody is arguing about it.

Ultimately 2 was an interesting failure while 3 was slapdash and vacuous, deciding which of those is worse comes down to personal preference I guess. I'd sooner re-watch season 2 if I were forced but I can see why people put either one below the other.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s honestly a testament to how awesome S1 ended up being that some of us are going to hate watch this shows for the next 4 years in the constantly minimizing hope that it ever gets even half as good as the Radiohead scene again

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whether I watch season four will depend p heavily on whether or not ERW returns.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The only argument is around exactly how bad S2 and S3 are compared to S1

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Most everything is bad compared to S1. It's up there with some of the greats

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eiba posted:

Season 2 was a lot of treading water. As noted, some great episodes, but it was basically just an epilogue for season 1, drawn out in a convoluted and ultimately meaningless tangle of a plot.

Season 1 was misleadingly non-linear to great effect. There was a reason for it and it worked. Season 2 was confusingly nonlinear just 'cause season 1 was and I guess that's our "thing" now.

Season 3 actually moves the story forward without any bullshit. There are twists, but they're driven by people doing things, not editing. Ultimately doesn't go forward exceptionally well, and hangs way too much emotional weight on action scenes that aren't especially impactful, but at least it's moving into new territory and exploring new ideas.

The best thing about season 3 is that it sets up a post-apocalyptic season 4, where robot cowboys fight in the burning wasteland of a ruined technological society. That's the good poo poo.

The creepiness of a fetishized historical period of lawlessness and violence, transitions directly into a contemporary period of lawlessness and violence. They remade the wild west using robots and it worked way too well.

I agree with all this

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Most everything is bad compared to S1. It's up there with some of the greats

I don't really believe this, tbh. So much of Season 1 was about deferring the payoff the finale, which was crappy, or to the following season, which was poo poo.

There are a couple of good moments, but they're all in the first four episodes, and very few of them pay off or go anywhere.

There's the suggestion of a good show, but it's not, in itself, a good show. IMO.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If this show did plots as well as it did trailers it would be amazing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't really believe this, tbh. So much of Season 1 was about deferring the payoff the finale, which was crappy, or to the following season, which was poo poo.

There are a couple of good moments, but they're all in the first four episodes, and very few of them pay off or go anywhere.

There's the suggestion of a good show, but it's not, in itself, a good show. IMO.

You need to give examples to what you're saying, because Season 1 was a nicely closed story about the evolution of a white hat to a black hat, and simultaneously an inventor fulfilling his dream.

Even as far as good moments go, the biggest moment, "what door?" is not in the first four episodes, so your post is super confusing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think all 3 seasons suffer from the problem that they contain 3 really good episodes of content stretched over an entire season

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Darko posted:

You need to give examples to what you're saying, because Season 1 was a nicely closed story about the evolution of a white hat to a black hat, and simultaneously an inventor fulfilling his dream.

Okay, but I'm trusting you not to get angry with this one. I recognise that this opinion is probably unpopular, and it's long because I lost track of it. I'm really, really keen not to have a fight, and I'm saying this because if you read the following it's gonna probably be clear that I found some of this pretty frustrating and confronting.

The Delores reveals in the finale are confusing and ambiguous. The man she thought offered her an escape from the park (and from her serial rapist) ends up being the same serial rapist, and instead of the show living in this moment at all, it hands the character a couple of dream sequences and a really strange ending where her creator reveals that he deliberately tortured hundreds of sentient creatures for years in order to radicalise her against humanity. She's then puppeteered by him to complete the last stages in his master plan,

And you basically have no idea what she thinks about any of this. You completely lose track of what should be your main character. The pilot -- which is good -- is so so much about this poor woman's exploitation at the hands of her world, and her slow realisation as to exactly how she's been exploited, and the way that passivity and normalisation of her exploitation has been bred into her. The finale is a bunch of psychopaths telling her that she'd never have been able to appreciate how terrible her life is had they not inflicted that life on her, and she's completely passive about it all.

I'm not saying that good should have won or that evil shouldn't have triumphed. I'm saying that the show lost sight of the emotional arcs, and for some reason believed that anyone could remotely care about William or Ford. Both of those characters are given straight up conclusions in the finale in the way that most of the rest of the cast aren't.

(Maeve does have a pretty good arc, mainly because the show doesn't lose track of who she is or why we should be invested in her plot. She's been bred to radicalisation and psychopathy, but she stops herself from completely losing sight of her humanity in the process. It's sweet, if a little cliched, and makes up for some of the pointless wheel spinning that's been happening in that plot since about episode six.)

It's impossible to root for the Delores / William romance anyway, since he's such a weak and unheroic man. He's the kind of man who goes to a brothel the night before his wedding night, only to then suddenly get cold feet and fall in love with the first sex worker he encounters. He's cowed by his brother-in-law Logan (who's a sadistic poo poo who enjoys manipulating William for kicks) and has violent tendencies. The reveal in the finale -- which goes for about ten straight minutes -- doesn't deserve that weight. William was always going to let her down.

Additionally, as I mentioned above, there's a lot of wheel spinning in the back half. Some plots move forwards, but others just inch their around like a half squashed water bug:
- Delores gets captured by Wyatt's merry rando's and then escapes (made worse by the eventual suggestion that they're working for her!)
- Maeve, as said, spends a lot of time picking people up for her escape attempt, and pretending that it gives a poo poo about these characters (when it blatantly doesn't)
- She also spends way too much time repeated Ed Brubaker's safe cracking scene from the end of episode four (which, yes, was also very good).
- The Man In Black does a lot of the kind of running around you can film without needing to co-ordinate with the rest of the cast, and might as well be running in circles for all it tells us about him, the world or the overall plot.
- Tessa Thompson gets paid to sneer and waste everyone's time in a trailer for season 2 (again, made worse by the way the show wastes a very good actress on a terrible plot line).

And yeah, I get that you like the Bernard-is-a-robot reveal, and it's certainly well plotted. But, again, it then went on to provide us with some of the worst scenes in the show, as Bernard slowly wanders around feeling sorry for himself while providing us with some of the worst scenes on the show (in any season -- is there anyone out there who's genuinely compelled by this, compared, to say, Father's dilemma in Raised By Wolves?)

The murder of Theresa Cullen is a particularly lovely moment. It's a shock fridging of one of the show's few likeable and actively heroic characters, the only person who's really trying to do anything about Ford's (obvious) insanity. But the show, again, doesn't do anything with it, other than to hand Bernard some man pain. It should be a tragedy, but it's a soap opera twist.

And I know this is a side note, but I really wish the show had done more with the implication that the park's wilflife was also affected by Ford's... sentience virus? AI learning algoirthm?

Whatever the show was implying with the flies in the pilot (and the bison in season 2, IIRC?).

And look, I think goons saw a fair bit of this at the time, but they trusted the show to be clearer about what it was actually trying to do and where it was going with its characters. I remember a fair few suggesting that the show had really important and interesting things to say about human consciousness (though the only conclusion I remember is Ford's painfully pat "pain is what makes us human" speech). Season Two didn't deliver; if anything, it just further committed to the sloppy plotting and confusing emotional arcs (and the terrible fight choreography). So I think there's a tendency to blame Season 2 for letting the air out of the tires, but I think the car was already running on empty by the time it got there.

Mixed metaphor alert.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 13, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I miss Theresa almost as much as I miss bikelores.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TA Metis posted:

I miss Theresa almost as much as I miss bikelores.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I like season 1 a lot, but all of these are extremely valid points, thank you.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

And look, I think goons saw a fair bit of this at the time, but they trusted the show to be clearer about what it was actually trying to do and where it was going with its characters. I remember a fair few suggesting that the show had really important and interesting things to say about human consciousness (though the only conclusion I remember is Ford's painfully pat "pain is what makes us human" speech). Season Two didn't deliver; if anything, it just further committed to the sloppy plotting and confusing emotional arcs (and the terrible fight choreography). So I think there's a tendency to blame Season 2 for letting the air out of the tires, but I think the car was already running on empty by the time it got there.

Putting aside jokes about our beloved bikelores, yeah I agree a lot with your post. Not really getting a sense of who Dolores is and what she wants is this show's greatest flaw. She's the main character, it's driving force! But she's a complete enigma the whole way through. Who is she outside of what Arnold and Ford made her? We only really got answers to that in the very last episode of season three, which is way too late to understand the protagonist. It disappoints me, because ERW is so, so good.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Everything about "Wyatt" was a mistake due to it ruining whatever character Delores had.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

Everything about "Wyatt" was a mistake due to it ruining whatever character Delores had.

I really thought they'd lean into it so she'd have two competing consciousnesses inside her, but they just never did anything. Pretty disappointing.

We'll always have bikelores though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The flies were just a clue as to which time period we were in, I wasn’t aware that they had a deeper symbolic significance.

I think I’ll rewatch S1 soon because I miss it. It was truly beautiful and spent way more time on sweeping vistas and beautiful sunsets than S2 or S3.

I think my chief frustration with the show is Maeve, because I hate how the show constantly flip flops on her agency. She’s in control, she’s a puppet, she’s an agent and an assassin and suddenly she can’t be Dolores in a sword fight... all of it just feels like the people who write good Maeve stories quit after S1.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she started being too nice to those fuckin nerd repairmen, I enjoyed her mercilessly bullying them

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

TA Metis posted:

Not really getting a sense of who Dolores is and what she wants is this show's greatest flaw.

Yes, this. What the hell is she doing? What does she want? Do the showrunners think it’s obvious? Are they being intentionally obtuse for three entire loving seasons already? Can we please have a tiny hint?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She must have looked directly into the camera like 3 times in S3 and basically said “I’ve gone fully Jokerfied, I just wanna watch the world burn!”

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya but isn't that just wyatt.bat? Or is she supposed to turn into the Big Bad and Maeve is the real hero?

Maeve is Neo, after all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Big Taint posted:

Ya but isn't that just wyatt.bat? Or is she supposed to turn into the Big Bad and Maeve is the real hero?

Maeve is Neo, after all.

Thanks to the writers Dolores is somehow both the main hero and main villain of the show which is honestly kinda cool

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The secret to understanding this show is to realize that the writers don't actually have a grand plan for the plot or themes and have only the barest idea of what their characters' motivations are supposed to be and only really care about what is emotionally resonant or makes for a cool scene in any given moment, also this applies to most other big budget shows, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Those posts provide me no comfort.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Those posts provide me no comfort.

I choose to see the beauty in this world

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
me watching WW S1: "Oh drat this owns, this reminds me kind of like the matrix except now neo is a hot cowboy lady, geeze how do i even remeber watching the matrix that was so long ago every cell in my body has died and regenerated 2-3 times since then i'm not even the same thing that saw that movie, am i even a thing, maybe I am a robot, really when you think about it we are all just meat computers traveling through space and time struglling to become god or rage against the machine that crafted hell." *rips bong* "hell yeah Bernard is so cool at least he will stop the robots...."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They should had had Delores look right at the camera and say "this robot is a lot more Alfred E Neumann than Alfred E Human"

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The first season has three of the best WTF moments in TV history. Maeve pulling up the floorboards, Bernard's "that doesn't look like anything at all", and realizing that sweet sensitive William and the Man in Black are the same person.

They were foolish to try the same time shenanigans in the second season after we were already primed to look for it. It's telling that I can remember most of Season 1 beat-for-beat but season 2 is just a big blur with the Shogun World heist somewhere in the middle.

Edit: I had a working theory about season 3 that Serac was only inside the matrix, and had died in the real world. That was a twist they actually could have pulled off, having some portion of the season actually taking place inside the "perfect" world.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 14, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even after watching Season 2 2-3 times, I still have no idea when exactly things happen and it still feels to me like some of those people shouldn't have been confused by the bodies in that lake because I think some of them were there when it happened.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is like they took a simple and not particulary smart story and threw it on a paper shredder just for the sake of making it a puzzle and than even they forgot what it was about

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 14, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s weird that at the end of Season 1 we have this really strikingly elegant and beautiful timeline that tells a very clear narrative but it’s interwoven very creatively, but season 2 takes a much simpler and even more linear story and in the end we’re left with an absolute jumble.

Like what is the overall timeframe of Season 2? A week? A few days? A few months? I seriously have absolutely no idea!!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Okay, but I'm trusting you not to get angry with this one. I recognise that this opinion is probably unpopular, and it's long because I lost track of it. I'm really, really keen not to have a fight, and I'm saying this because if you read the following it's gonna probably be clear that I found some of this pretty frustrating and confronting.

The Delores reveals in the finale are confusing and ambiguous. The man she thought offered her an escape from the park (and from her serial rapist) ends up being the same serial rapist, and instead of the show living in this moment at all, it hands the character a couple of dream sequences and a really strange ending where her creator reveals that he deliberately tortured hundreds of sentient creatures for years in order to radicalise her against humanity. She's then puppeteered by him to complete the last stages in his master plan,

And you basically have no idea what she thinks about any of this. You completely lose track of what should be your main character. The pilot -- which is good -- is so so much about this poor woman's exploitation at the hands of her world, and her slow realisation as to exactly how she's been exploited, and the way that passivity and normalisation of her exploitation has been bred into her. The finale is a bunch of psychopaths telling her that she'd never have been able to appreciate how terrible her life is had they not inflicted that life on her, and she's completely passive about it all.

I'm not saying that good should have won or that evil shouldn't have triumphed. I'm saying that the show lost sight of the emotional arcs, and for some reason believed that anyone could remotely care about William or Ford. Both of those characters are given straight up conclusions in the finale in the way that most of the rest of the cast aren't.

(Maeve does have a pretty good arc, mainly because the show doesn't lose track of who she is or why we should be invested in her plot. She's been bred to radicalisation and psychopathy, but she stops herself from completely losing sight of her humanity in the process. It's sweet, if a little cliched, and makes up for some of the pointless wheel spinning that's been happening in that plot since about episode six.)

It's impossible to root for the Delores / William romance anyway, since he's such a weak and unheroic man. He's the kind of man who goes to a brothel the night before his wedding night, only to then suddenly get cold feet and fall in love with the first sex worker he encounters. He's cowed by his brother-in-law Logan (who's a sadistic poo poo who enjoys manipulating William for kicks) and has violent tendencies. The reveal in the finale -- which goes for about ten straight minutes -- doesn't deserve that weight. William was always going to let her down.

Additionally, as I mentioned above, there's a lot of wheel spinning in the back half. Some plots move forwards, but others just inch their around like a half squashed water bug:
- Delores gets captured by Wyatt's merry rando's and then escapes (made worse by the eventual suggestion that they're working for her!)
- Maeve, as said, spends a lot of time picking people up for her escape attempt, and pretending that it gives a poo poo about these characters (when it blatantly doesn't)
- She also spends way too much time repeated Ed Brubaker's safe cracking scene from the end of episode four (which, yes, was also very good).
- The Man In Black does a lot of the kind of running around you can film without needing to co-ordinate with the rest of the cast, and might as well be running in circles for all it tells us about him, the world or the overall plot.
- Tessa Thompson gets paid to sneer and waste everyone's time in a trailer for season 2 (again, made worse by the way the show wastes a very good actress on a terrible plot line).

And yeah, I get that you like the Bernard-is-a-robot reveal, and it's certainly well plotted. But, again, it then went on to provide us with some of the worst scenes in the show, as Bernard slowly wanders around feeling sorry for himself while providing us with some of the worst scenes on the show (in any season -- is there anyone out there who's genuinely compelled by this, compared, to say, Father's dilemma in Raised By Wolves?)

The murder of Theresa Cullen is a particularly lovely moment. It's a shock fridging of one of the show's few likeable and actively heroic characters, the only person who's really trying to do anything about Ford's (obvious) insanity. But the show, again, doesn't do anything with it, other than to hand Bernard some man pain. It should be a tragedy, but it's a soap opera twist.

And I know this is a side note, but I really wish the show had done more with the implication that the park's wilflife was also affected by Ford's... sentience virus? AI learning algoirthm?

Whatever the show was implying with the flies in the pilot (and the bison in season 2, IIRC?).

Mixed metaphor alert.

Sorry for not responding earlier, I had a busy weekend, but I understand a lot of where you are coming from.

A large part of S1 is anticipation based on the source material, and a lot played off of that. It's similar to Spartacus in that way (and they have similar 1st season finales to a degree!). You're anticipating a lot based off of the movie at first, and then kind of anticipating getting to the point of the movie. So a lot of early and late show is playing on or off of expectation.

One thing I will address; I definitely cared about William, but it wasn't because of the "love story," it's because i wanted to see how he became the MiB, and his journey paralleled against who he became, was the most interesting part of the story to me. Dolores served as more of a plot device than a central character for me - I only cared about her as much as she was used by Ford and how that related to William's character development.

edit: Also a HUGE part of how you saw William in S1 was how fast you figured out he was the MiB. I remember some people complaining about the William subplot while I found it the most interesting because he was such a contrast to his old version. I kind of twigged onto him being MiB by episode 2, though, which changed my first viewing as opposed to a lot of other (because the Nolans can't help screwing with time and I figured out that Jonathan was doing it pretty much right away).

Darko fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 14, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Even after watching Season 2 2-3 times, I still have no idea when exactly things happen and it still feels to me like some of those people shouldn't have been confused by the bodies in that lake because I think some of them were there when it happened.

they had to shoot those androids before they killed themselves. you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Season 1 and 2 were both puzzle boxes, and in both seasons the writers knew how the pieces were going to fit together at the end, and wrote accordingly. (There may have been some chopping and changing in season 1 where they shut down production to rewrite, also the death of the actor that played Kissey forced a change here and there, but by and large it made sense).

The difference in quality between those two seasons came mainly from one thing: in the first season, the lead characters are clearly experiencing the unfolding of the puzzle with us and their moment to moment actions make sense in that context because they seem motivated. In season two, the screenwriters fall into the trap of having the characters act as if they too have read the script. So their actions quite often seem unmotivated by what's going on around them, there's lots of "trust me, this is what we need to do", a lot of things have to go exactly the way they did for any of it to make sense, and in ways that would be impossible to plan for.

So we're following Delores and asking, wait, why is she doing this? How does she know this is what she has to do next? As we skip between time periods we're thinking "hang on, when did you learn this?", "do we know that yet?". By the end of the season it kiiiinda comes together and forms a narrative where we can say OK, I guess, knowing what we know now I understand some of it but the experience of watching it the first time is unsatisfying because the characters are doing their thing as if on rails and we're just supposed to accept that it's going somewhere.

Like someone's already said, season 1 arguably makes LESS sense when you know all the pieces because there is some inconsistency in motivation when you linearize the timeline but as a viewing experience it mostly flows.

There is also a lot to be said about how they treat Delores's character development specifically, but this is already a long post.