Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What was the point of finding and digging up Maeve if all she was going to do was kind of fight Hale then get shot in the head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So this real world of mind controlled humans walking around for the amusement of Halores, it doesn't even need the back end service depots to make the humans act properly like in the Westworld park. Everything just get explained away with cheap rear end FX nanomachine flies?

It seems like the sound towers/poles are the correction and control mechanisms if humans accidentally stray too far out of their constraints. Otherwise they seem to live pretty normal lives within certain parameters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What was the point of finding and digging up Maeve if all she was going to do was kind of fight Hale then get shot in the head?

He ran a ton of simulations, and the best outcome was that, probably due to Haleoris being occupied enough that he could do whatever he did (which is probably what's going on with Christina and Teddy).

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It would have been awkward for Bernard to deliver exposition to no one in particular and she is a character in the show so she must be doing something.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Owling Howl posted:

deliver exposition to no one in particular

Oof, I mean I know he's not the most popular Hemsworth brother, but give the man a little credit!

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah I meant Christina, I can never remember her new name because that is Delores, it's been Delores for 3 seasons why are they switching it up aughh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jorge Bell posted:

Yeah I meant Christina, I can never remember her new name because that is Delores, it's been Delores for 3 seasons why are they switching it up aughh

It's never been Delores, it's always been Dolores.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

haha i remember season 1's thread, people were spelling it deloras and such. classic goon stuff right there

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
DelosOS

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Scrotum Modem posted:

haha i remember season 1's thread, people were spelling it deloras and such. classic goon stuff right there

This season it's Christina/Christine. Just trying to rebottle S1's lightning again and again....

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

In my mind she's Chrilores

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
DELOreS :aaaaa:

It's been in front of us the entire time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dulaurous

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

At the risk of stating the obvious, Dolores, mark 1 at least, was named for sadness. I don't know if the new name is for simple differentiation at this point or a deeper theme. Not sure I care.

Ford must have been a callout to Henry Ford, if only because they couldn't or wouldn't just name him Disney or something samey-sounding.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Onomarchus posted:

At the risk of stating the obvious, Dolores, mark 1 at least, was named for sadness. I don't know if the new name is for simple differentiation at this point or a deeper theme. Not sure I care.

Ford must have been a callout to Henry Ford, if only because they couldn't or wouldn't just name him Disney or something samey-sounding.
It's a Moulin Rouge! reference, given the names of Christina and her roommate. Moulin Rouge! of course being the story of a young writer.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I'm finding it difficult to hone in on a message or theme for this season, as entertaining as it is. Hosts finding their identity/agency and humans trying to reject self-imposed limitations were fun despite clunky writing/editing/production for the first three seasons, but now I guess it's less about exploring those ideas and more about playing with the characters that we're left with.

I'm hoping Bernard knew that this episode's victims (and other dead hosts) will be brought back somehow, and that his message was for his new self and not for Christina. I don't see how they can sell a fifth season without Bernard and Maeve (unless it becomes the Stubbs show and also bring back Elsie somehow please) I'm also hoping that the fidelity-passing MIB from the end of season 2 is a new William that's made to take out DIB.

Having sat with it I appreciate how the scene of DIB stabbing William rounds out a rule of three for Westworld owners being killed by hosts on their way to the center of the maze.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

superjew posted:

I'm hoping Bernard knew that this episode's victims (and other dead hosts) will be brought back somehow, and that his message was for his new self and not for Christina. I don't see how they can sell a fifth season without Bernard and Maeve (unless it becomes the Stubbs show and also bring back Elsie somehow please) I'm also hoping that the fidelity-passing MIB from the end of season 2 is a new William that's made to take out DIB.

I also cant imagine this show killing off all the significant Black characters in one fell swoop, never bringing them back, and focusing instead on the suddenly-all-white cast of Ed Harris, ERW, James Marsden, Aaron Paul, and *checks notes* Luke Hemsworth.

I guess Frankie got shot but isn't dead. But no way are Jeffrey Wright, Thandiwe Newton, and Tessa Thompson all staying dead.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The whole thing of this season is ressurections.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just started watching season 3 even though I thought 2 was pretty bad when it came out. I dunno, I’m out of things to watch. “The real world” sucks so much in this series. It’s a planet of cocktail parties and infinity pools. The streets of la are completely empty.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just started watching season 3 even though I thought 2 was pretty bad when it came out. I dunno, I’m out of things to watch. “The real world” sucks so much in this series. It’s a planet of cocktail parties and infinity pools. The streets of la are completely empty.

that's the bit

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Correct

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Lmao that didn’t long. Also, loving campers.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

"Steven Ogg? Love that dude! No shot in hell he lasts more than an episode, he's great but neve-"

So about Hale, is she finally someone smart enough to think if hosts all have a vulnerable weak point in their head because it houses the pearl, seems smart to change your model to have the pearl in a heavily armored torso or something?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Trevor is back! For about a minute…

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

You just can’t think about it too hard. Hosts should be built like General Grievous or something. Or maybe have multiple pearls.

E: instead they follow same rules as zombies in The Walking Dead.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

After the reveal of Host in Black end of last season I assumed Hale had figured out the last few bugs left for human-host hybrids since he wasn’t decaying and has so far spoken about being a copy of William.

Did she make Caleb out of lovely old technology as a torture goof, or is Host in Black not a human-host hybrid copy as it seemed to me? I’ve only gotten the term host-human hybrid off the wiki, but I’m maybe looking for more coherence than the show can/needs to offer.

I’m fine with what the show does now and is best at now, but that one bit of world lore feels less mysterious and more contradictory.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

You just can’t think about it too hard. Hosts should be built like General Grievous or something. Or maybe have multiple pearls.

E: instead they follow same rules as zombies in The Walking Dead.

poo poo, I already got that typed out but this is indeed the answer. I think the difference between Host minds and Human minds in Season 2 is still an idea that had the show gone in a different direction could have been neat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So that episode seemed like a bunch of nonsense

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Host in Black was based off Hale's code. Seems to fix the problem, but it lacks fidelity.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

That ending killed my internet connection for 5 minutes. Fitting, really.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The whole idea of having the original Delores become Haleores was just really stupid and it didn't ever really have a payoff.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Combination of stupid and complex, utterly unrewarding and almost seemed like it was designed to offer no closure to any of the remaining likable characters who still exist to force another season where our old favorites can get some resolution. Not a Dexter magnitude insulting final episode of a season, but that sucked.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Jokes on you robots there’s no water in lake mead to run your nerd machine.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Really felt like Stubbs deserved a better send off then that

All in all I enjoyed the season.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
That was fun

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I only just started this episode but lost it on "loving campers."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well that's quite the season finale. Kind of wonder what in the gently caress their going to do for the final season and hell what is the final season even going to be about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Darko posted:

I only just started this episode but lost it on "loving campers."

William with the best line of the season.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I hated that campers line but hey no judgement. Overall I thought the finale was fine but I went in expecting it not not have a ton of payoff with an expectation from them that there will be a final season.

It's like Marvel where a bunch of characters died but you know there's a planned part two so not a ton of impact.

It is funny that I just watched a 10 minute recap of season 3 before this season and never once did I feel like I had missed anything.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Ugh I hate episodes were 90% of the dialogue is exposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hollismason posted:

Well that's quite the season finale. Kind of wonder what in the gently caress their going to do for the final season and hell what is the final season even going to be about.

It’s confirmed that they are letting them make another season? Even with the brutal ratings?