Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It was fun that they got all of the actors back for at least one scene, though many of them felt wasted (because they were WASTED).

It was dumb that Immortal Robot Lady couldn't remember how many bullets were in her gun.

Also, we still need a Final Season to explain how the bullets work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

man that poo poo was boring. it was using the television language of EXTREME REVELATIONS HERE but nothing very interesting was happening...

ill rewatch season 1 every couple years fondly but I can't be hosed with whatever this show is now.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

i dont know if im going to watch next season.
This seasons ending for me seems to be satisfying one. And i really doubt that next season will improve upon this.
Humanity is doomed to die in extinction while machines retreat in their server farm to preserve what humanity was.

next season is either going to be
a) Delores trying to make god robot teddy.
b) Dolores trying to make ascended form of robots without human influences bringing em back to real world and conflicts between perfect robo and human outsiders.
c) westworld but with roles switched. printed human hosts and robot overlords.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The number of people who continuously watch something they haven't liked in years loving baffles me. There's a lot of good tv out there if you aren't having fun, you could go watch that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I have fun watching it. It’s gorgeous, and very high concept. The plots are… like a gordian knot. But it’s always left me wanting more.

I hope there is a season 5. A return to WestWorld? Yes please.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I love this loving show, which I why am aware of when it drops the ball. Not everything can be Maeve doing a shoulder roll in a slinky dress and fanning the hammer on William with his own gun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I enjoyed it, i kinda wish they'd leaned more on William wanting the world to just be Counter-Strike because honestly i thought that was the most interesting aspect of his character.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I liked the finale and the season overall as well. I think this was much better than S4 at least, or it's the repression talking. I'm not sure what the point of Dolores' final game is but obviously the draw of season five is to see Westworld again and that's all I wanted. :shobon:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mulva posted:

The number of people who continuously watch something they haven't liked in years loving baffles me. There's a lot of good tv out there if you aren't having fun, you could go watch that.

The production value is really good. When I watch WW I keep saying god drat they must be using some big rear end movie camera to shoot it. Also the drone shots are so good.

BTW what is the set piece of that big reflection pool location?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

The production value is really good. When I watch WW I keep saying god drat they must be using some big rear end movie camera to shoot it. Also the drone shots are so good.

BTW what is the set piece of that big reflection pool location?

It's a resort in Cabo, I believe.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In terms of deeper thoughts, I thought the one throughline of S4 was that pretending to be humans basically makes you adapt to them, and their world conquest involved pretending to be massive assholes so that's what they did. It's commentary about how pretending to be something for long enough just makes you the thing. It's not subtle. Ed Harris blurts it out at the end. Hale complains about it a lot.

While I think the Bernard plot had a lot of coincidences, and yeah a lot of them are just so Bernard can monologue to people, I wasn't that taken out of it- he ran a bunch of simulations and the only ones that seemed to have Hale do the thing were ones where he brought Maeve along and had her die in this place. I think there was probably a better way to craft the last two episodes to make a lot more sense, but I didn't hate them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I forgot, what happened to the original Teddy? Delores was saying she wanted to see him in the sublime, but I thought he blew his brains out and damaged his brain ball so he didn’t get to go to the sublime?

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

ruddiger posted:

I forgot, what happened to the original Teddy? Delores was saying she wanted to see him in the sublime, but I thought he blew his brains out and damaged his brain ball so he didn’t get to go to the sublime?

Yeah, I recall he tried to give Doriginalores an "ends don't justify the means" lesson by offing himself and he never made it into the sublime. I guess this Teddy was rebuilt from this Christina's subconscious in a way that precludes the season 2 stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was fun that they got all of the actors back for at least one scene, though many of them felt wasted (because they were WASTED).

It was dumb that Immortal Robot Lady couldn't remember how many bullets were in her gun.

Also, we still need a Final Season to explain how the bullets work.

Were they back? It looked like Dolores was on a green screen or something.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I think HBO dumped this lackluster season in this summer to quietly bury it and let the show die, probably because they feel they always need at least some first-run stuff in the Sunday slot every month.

On the one hand, when it comes to mass-market special-effects-heavy streaming shows everyone knew ahead of time this summer would belong to Stranger Things. On the other hand, when it comes to whatever "Prestige TV" actually is, or just plain quality TV people will talk about for decades, everyone knew this summer would belong to Better Call Saul. Better to get ignored than get a lot of people disappointed I guess.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Wasn’t it always a summer show?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Wasn’t it always a summer show?

Season 1 was October to December
2 April-June
3 March-May
This was June-August

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm sure glad they again ignored to explain how that fidelity test at the end of season 2 ties into anything, i.e. in what way his daughter is relevant in all of this, considering Hale is claiming credit for his existence.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm sure glad they again ignored to explain how that fidelity test at the end of season 2 ties into anything, i.e. in what way his daughter is relevant in all of this, considering Hale is claiming credit for his existence.
That fidelity test takes place during one of eight timelines in the next season.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So S4 was a bunch of incredibly convoluted nonsense again? I'm so deciding if I going to watch or not.

I hated S2 and found S3 ok but forgettable (I'm need a recap for sure)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

So S4 was a bunch of incredibly convoluted nonsense again? I'm so deciding if I going to watch or not.

It wasn't until the end but that last episode was some real bullshit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Any part that wasn't related to Caleb and Maeve was pretty bleh.

This season would have been a lot better if it was just focused on those two vs. Halebot.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

It’s a ride and it’s worth taking, just know it ends on a wet shart.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That fidelity test takes place during one of eight timelines in the next season.

Season 5: 8 timelines, 8 episodes, 1 timeline per episode.

We get to go through Bernards simulations on TV. It would probably be relatively inexpensive to produce?

Watching the cast do groundhog day in TV form might be entertaining as they crack and become miserable from tedium filming the episodes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Internet Savant posted:

We get to go through Bernards simulations on TV. It would probably be relatively inexpensive to produce?

Watching the cast do groundhog day in TV form might be entertaining as they crack and become miserable from tedium filming the episodes.

This would have been a way better concept for season 4 than what we got
7 episodes of Bernard getting domed in the desert or setting off a nuke, 1 episode of something better than whatever the hell we actually got for a finale

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Internet Savant posted:

Westworld: Strange New World

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jorge Bell posted:

I'm so loving tired of living out extinction stories. I'm in one, bitch, I want to see robots loving! Stop doing Christianities in the middle of my robot loving show!@

I think this is my biggest complaint now that I’m just mindlessly watching. Westworld has become fuckless. I don’t even need the formerly hbo required tits; but it’s very bizarre that it has completely ignored sexuality for like, 3 seasons. If you are going to write about human experience or extinction how is the show so… loving sterile?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think that was a completely different thing. The William bot is not a copy of William, he is another Dolores/Wyatt clone who was pretending to be William and ended up taking on some of his traits. The end of season thing felt like it was just some random poo poo someone threw at the wall to make people say "whoa" and wonder what it was.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Lately, I have been thinking about the narrative differences between the dramatic hero and the iconic hero. Dramatic heroes are the commonly encountered protagonist and they change in response to the world they over time. This is man. The Iconic hero is an unchanging protagonist, often representing some kind of principle or natural force. They change the world as they move through it. This is god.

The writers took a ham fisted approach to symbolism by naming Hale’s head quarters “Olympiad”. This is where the gods dwell. Have the Hosts become iconic beings representing human virtues and weakness like the Greek gods? Hale is vengeful Hera. Maeve is Athena, William is just straight up Thanatos, the death urge in all men.

There honestly is a lot going on in this show and I just with that stick the presentations on that stuff better.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ruddiger posted:

She uploaded his ball at the end of season 2. Her internal monologue gave room for it being a backup or reconstruction.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They really kinda rushed through that, huh. I do like the implication that we're about to go through another loop, another turn of the wheel of the cosmos, with perhaps the suggestion that this isn't the first time this has happened.

I don't think we need another season exploring that concept though.

EDIT: Also if I was a powerful AI with concerns about the human race going extinct, access to a shitload of high technology, and the desire to make the world anew, I'd maybe start a cloning and creche program.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 17, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mulva posted:

Plenty of shows have jumped back over the shark. As for me, I'm just a completionist. It takes rather a lot to get me to just nope the hell out of something I've been watching for years.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If it ends here at least it can be interpreted that this season leads directly into season 1 and that the 4 season run is an infinite nested loop of westworlds.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

As for me, I'm just a completionist. It takes rather a lot to get me to just nope the hell out of something I've been watching for years.

:same:

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

SCheeseman posted:

If it ends here at least it can be interpreted that this season leads directly into season 1 and that the 4 season run is an infinite nested loop of westworlds.

That headcannon is a million times better than any possible S5 storeline a WW writer could come up with so I'd be happy with that.

LividLiquid posted:

Plenty of shows have jumped back over the shark. As for me, I'm just a completionist. It takes rather a lot to get me to just nope the hell out of something I've been watching for years.

Yea, I noped out of the last season and a half of Flash because I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sure I can suffer through a season 5 of Westworld. Can't be *that* bad.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
At least I wasn't alone in thinking that was bad.

The only shocking twist left in this thing is if it manages to get renewed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
smh all these boomer takes saying William is playing Counter-Strike. He's clearly turned the world into a Battle Royale. The dude is camping and letting people kill each other so he can pick off the remaining weakened targets so he can grab the good loot when it's all clear.

To continue the gamer analogy this season:

Dolores is playing the Sims
Bernard went to Gamefaqs and made a walkthrough that has branching option trees that he's checking the RNG seed against to get to the True End
Caleb is playing Dark Souls and clicking on every bloodstain and there's even a near-dead Caleb in the vent slouched in the same way as a random body holding a random soul

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Teddy, as always, is playing a dating sim.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Eej posted:

smh all these boomer takes saying William is playing Counter-Strike. He's clearly turned the world into a Battle Royale. The dude is camping and letting people kill each other so he can pick off the remaining weakened targets so he can grab the good loot when it's all clear.

To continue the gamer analogy this season:

Dolores is playing the Sims
Bernard went to Gamefaqs and made a walkthrough that has branching option trees that he's checking the RNG seed against to get to the True End
Caleb is playing Dark Souls and clicking on every bloodstain and there's even a near-dead Caleb in the vent slouched in the same way as a random body holding a random soul

I'm in, Bernard doing the Maeve RNG manip to get Hale to pick up the pad- it's like a Hitman speedrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I'm in, Bernard doing the Maeve RNG manip to get Hale to pick up the pad- it's like a Hitman speedrun.

Every time someone's pearl gets removed: OOOOOORB!