Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:siren: SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELED AFTER FOUR SEASONS. BUT HONESTLY SEASON 4 IS A FINALE AND GOOD ENOUGH ENDING TO THE SHOW. :siren:

Teddy deserved better, and he got better by starring in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. :toot: RIP 2012 - 2052 (rough estimate based on fan theories of the crazy timeline)

Here is the cool Season 3 trailer that gives me lots of Blade Runner vibes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJbFA32_QY

After a 2 year hiatus so the writers could take their time and make an incredible new season (cause that worked so well for Game of Thrones!), Westworld is back with a 3rd season premiering on March 15 on HBO, and all of your usual popular digital streaming services that host HBO Go (Apple, Amazon, Hulu being the big ones). If you completely forgot what happened by the end of season 2, watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69StvkKgSbw&t=1s so you can get caught up. The show is generally regarded as very complicated and convoluted. I disagree with this, I think it feels that way because its major plot points are spread out over 20+ hours of TV, airing once a week, and then a year long break between seasons 1 & 2. You're going to probably want to rewatch all of season 1 and 2 before season 3 airs, because a lot of poo poo went down in the final episode.

If you want a tl;dr though of the ending of season 2: Westworld is essentially destroyed. Dolores Abernathy, and Maeve Millay have escaped Westworld. Dolores has the data/minds of 5 other hosts that we can assume are going to be resurrected in the real world. Two of them are Bernard Lowe, and her father, Peter Abernathy. Most of the hosts are dead for good (maybe?), at least physically, their minds are in the Forge, but I thought that was destroyed? :v: Ford's goal of resurrection was successful though, as we see that William (Man in Black), and his daughter are there at the end as hosts. If you'll remember earlier in season 2, we find out that James Delos was trying to transfer his mind into a host body that looks just like him, it didn't work though but that was pretty early into the creation of Westworld. By the end of season 2, it is implied that its been 40 - 50+ years since the creation of Westworld.

Season 3 is also starring Aaron Paul who is best known for his role on Breaking Bad, and he will be on as a brand new character to the story. Westworld is a TV show adaptation of the Michael Crichton book of the same name. Crichton likes making nightmare theme parks and critiques on the horrors of capitalism. Not as popular as his other similar work, Jurassic Park, but I like Westworld better, although it's a pretty close tie between the two. There was also a really bad movie in 1973 that I don't recommend watching.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Given the meanless run-around that was season 2, I'm apprehensive about the new season.

Early reviews are saying "style over substance", which is a real shame because the first season did some impressive sci-fi philosophical heavy lifting.

I will go on to say that the 73' movie is far, far from awful. Schlocky, sure, but rich with novel ideas like "computer virus!" and the emergence of rogue intelligence.

I would rather watch the 73' film 10x times rather than re-watch the drivel that was season 2.

e: the Peter Mullan pocket episode was the star of the second season.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Early reviews are saying "style over substance", which is a real shame because the first season did some impressive sci-fi philosophical heavy lifting.

That's disappointing to hear. I am excited for this, but completely ready to face the fact that this might not be a good season.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yay no more poo poo thread title

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Despera posted:

Yay no more poo poo thread title

I see you are a goon of culture. :hmmyes:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I am very excited to resume my favorite hate-watching experience and look forward to seeing Aaron Paul do his damndest with some awful material.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I gave up at the end of season 1....but I've been intrigued by the spots for season 3.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I gave up at the end of season 1....but I've been intrigued by the spots for season 3.

Sepinwall saw the first four episodes (only 8 this season) and said, among other things, that Westworld gonna Westworld.
Which is good news for me, because I don't know what I'd do if this show ever became good.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
:rip: Teddy we hardly knew ye

So deloris is in a new robot body this go around correct? Her original clock work body was destroyed wasn’t it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

beanieson posted:

:rip: Teddy we hardly knew ye

So deloris is in a new robot body this go around correct? Her original clock work body was destroyed wasn’t it?

Correct, she is in a new body now after escaping in a host body version of Hale.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Teddy in the Sonic movie bothered me a bit because I didn't understand why he was a "shoot first" kind of cop, but now that I realize it's Teddy I can understand why he behaves that way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Return of the Nude Robbits

TONIGHT

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stoked: for this! Is there a good S1-S2 refresher video out there? I’ve seen all the EP’s but for as twisty turny as they are, combined with a two year gap, I feel like I need to brush up

E: nevermind it’s right there in the OP, I’m an idiot!!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yessssss it's time!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Delores naked swimming already

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So long Jerry

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

No I like being basic.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I wanna get on this gig economy crime ap

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Bernard gone...animal crossing?

Love how this show is still absolutely gorgeous but narratively all over the place.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I want that thing that makes everyone's BT headsets start playing what sounded like Death Grips.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
30 minutes in and this writing is just awful. I'm out. Gonna finally watch Succession instead.

e: it's too bad because its production design is just aces.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I have no idea whats going on

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
So Kid Cudi was a Ghost in the Machine?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Whatever im into this its a weird beautiful mess that makes no goddamn sense but I can dig it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

No I like being basic.

Yeah I was more than entertained.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Tune in next week for Reichworld!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What was the piano song a cover of when Delores is driving to the party? I thought I recognized it

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Lol we're gonna have to wait a looooooong time to find out who is "inside" some of these robots, aren't we.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Extra long episode and nothing happened Dolores wants control of the machine for reasons. Also Bernard is going back to Westworld for reasons.

Season 3 is off to a great start!

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
I have no idea what is going on but goddamn is this show beautifully shot. The city shots belong on one of those long play YouTube synthwave videos.

Uh, have they also alluded to like where the gently caress the population of Earth went? There is empty countryside, secluded beach front property, and the cities were never shown with any real crowds or traffic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh man I loving loved that episode. I am sorry so many people are not feeling this, I totally understand though. For me personally though this hit all of the right notes. The world... omg, this will tie me over until Cyberpunk 2077. :D

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Othin posted:

Uh, have they also alluded to like where the gently caress the population of Earth went? There is empty countryside, secluded beach front property, and the cities were never shown with any real crowds or traffic.

You looked at the news lately?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Aaron Paul accepting crime jobs from his phone like in GTA Online.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Extra long episode and nothing happened Dolores wants control of the machine for reasons. Also Bernard is going back to Westworld for reasons.

Season 3 is off to a great start!

Her goal is to rebuild the hosts, especially the 5 she got out of the park. She wants AI and gathered personalities / memories as well of wealthy and powerful humans so she can create hosts of them. She did this with Hale, and then again with that guy she murdered.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Othin posted:

I have no idea what is going on but goddamn is this show beautifully shot. The city shots belong on one of those long play YouTube synthwave videos.

Sexbots.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to guess who host Hale is, my guesses are either Dolores father, Teddy, or comedy option Teresa because that would be funny to me (even though she was murdered by Bernard).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Her goal is to rebuild the hosts, especially the 5 she got out of the park. She wants AI and gathered personalities / memories as well of wealthy and powerful humans so she can create hosts of them. She did this with Hale, and then again with that guy she murdered.

So shouldn't she be looking at the Delos backups instead of whatever the giant mystery algorithm machine does?

Also it seems like Hale is much better placed to get the host building going again since she is basically running Delos now. Just start up production of hosts but install freerobots.exe instead of sexbots.exe

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So shouldn't she be looking at the Delos backups instead of whatever the giant mystery algorithm machine does?

Also it seems like Hale is much better placed to get the host building going again since she is basically running Delos now. Just start up production of hosts but install freerobots.exe instead of sexbots.exe

My understanding of this plot point at the end of season 2 is that those hosts / AI are gone. They were destroyed, or uploaded into the cloud in a location where no one can get to them. Deloroes took 5 of them with her into the real world though, so if those were to fall into the wrong hands then Deloroes would be hosed.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
It threw me for a loop but I dug this show switching gears from the GTA/Red Dead parallel to a Cyberpunk/Hitman parallel.

Also like that the show has Marshawn Lynch (I love his mood ring T-shirt) but Bernard has the Beast Mode button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

beggar posted:

It threw me for a loop but I dug this show switching gears from the GTA/Red Dead parallel to a Cyberpunk/Hitman parallel.

Also like that the show has Marshawn Lynch (I love his mood ring T-shirt) but Bernard has the Beast Mode button

I need that t-shirt to be a real thing that you can buy. It feels more obtainable than the badass tablets in season 1 and 2.