Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Who is in Charlotte is a fairly cool mystery, but drat Aaron Paul is amazing and his arc with Dolores is as good as season one stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wow, budget Hemsworth got pretty fluffy in the off season. Also it felt like they put William in the trash because they had nothing left to do with his character and they know it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Maeve goes upstairs is still the high point of the series, but at least Westworld is good again. It’s hard for me to evaluate overall because when it’s great, it’s off the charts, but it can never quite seem to deliver a payoff to match the highs.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This was a fun and good episode. The cover of Space Oddity and drugged out Aaron Paul were fantastic. I’m on Team Dolores. No more loops!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This episode was okay but Dolores doing the one thing that will make Maeve really give a poo poo about taking her down seems horribly contrived. I feel like next week is going to make or break the season. William getting called out for being an rear end in a top hat by his group after the little homage to his Confederados monologue was great though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

As much as I do enjoy this show, it always leaves me feeling a little wanting more from it. Probably because of how good it has been in Season 1. In a way season 3 is like the simulated War World. It looks good on the surface but as soon as you kick the tires you can see there isn't quite enough depth underneath it. And if you ask the right questions, you get stuck in a logic feedback loop.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In a just world we’d get to see the complete story for The OA instead of this. I’d be fine with Westworld ending this year.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

“Don’t lecture me, you loving can opener” was the best line of the season by a mile.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I've been a steady supporter of the show but tonight was a disjointed mess. I really struggled to care about what anyone was doing. Based on the preview last week I thought tonight would make or break the season and I suspect it broke it. I can't picture coming away from the finale satisfied.

I remember last season when MIB went off on the Confederados being really stoked about it. It reminded me of Vader dunking the Emperor in ROTJ. Then the show did nothing interesting with it. This show is the like the Harlem Globetrotters only none of them can score.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Was or just me or was 95% of this episode incomprehensible? What was the button Dolores press that made her and Maeve die(?)? Why bother having fight scenes between hosts if any damage they take is seemingly arbitrary? How did Clementine get out of the park and why is she working for Hale(Dolores)? Were we supposed to care about the 30 minute monologue about "outliers" from the computer? Or the reveal that Caleb killed his buddy that we never met?

Dolores or Caleb said something about an EMP being there for "reasons" Clementine is on team Maeve. Yes, we were supposed to care about the stuff but I didn't either, friend.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TowerofOil posted:

I hope the finale has Bernard show up late to the climactic show down not having a clue about whats happening then fail at whatever objective he thought up 5 minutes before. Then Stubbs looks at the camera and does the jim face.

He obtained the meat he needed from the beef farm. He retrieved the spices from his quarters at Westworld. Bernard knows that the one thing that can bring everyone together is his world famous chili and now all he has to do is bring them the pot he made of it...……..

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Man, this was the episode that made me realize I don't care about any of these characters. S3 has been all about plot reveals at the expense of character development. There was some development for Hale-bot and Caleb. That's about it.

And that is precisely why so many shows fall in to the :lost: trap. A lot of plot things can be forgiven if you care about the characters. On the other hand, twists and plot reveals fall flat if you don’t.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Determined to clean up the crime-ridden streets, Serac uses technology from Delos to turn himself into RobohoboCop setting up a pulse raising final showdown with totally-not-ED-209.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That was not as bad as I was expecting. It had some really cheesy moments but I felt like Caleb’s payoff was solid at least. Maybe Rehoboam played along because it just wanted to be wiped and check out of the show. Good to see Bikelores and ED-209. Post credits was awesome.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Sammus posted:

Did anyone else feel like the ending reminded them of Fight Club?

Yes, I half expected them to trot out the piano cover of "Where is my Mind?" Edit, maybe S4 is literally going to take place on the moon and that's why they went with Pink Floyd.

Servaetes posted:

It'd be incredibly stupid if Rehoboam, a God Computer would not think to transfer itself to Future Internet or anything other than just being an immobile living room sized orb in the middle of a building where people could like throw poo poo over the balcony at it. Solomon may not have been guarded all that well and that also seemed kinda dumb (why the hell would a huge storage facility for outliers be guarded by like, seven dudes???) but surely Rehoboam would have some sense of self preservation? Solomon exhibited some thoughts of its own like being incredibly condescending to Dolores ("No, you are a Delos product, made to imitate humans, we are not alike at all") so surely Rehoboam would have some contingency plans of its own?

I felt like they had to pieces to answer this they just didn't put them together. Delores made a point to tell Dale that they kept their emotions on purpose. Maybe Rehobeth didn't bother making any contingency plans because ultimately it didn't care about anything, including it's own existence. It just made predictions and tried to solve the problem "society, but stable."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looking forward to some beautiful nonsense.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dum Cumpster posted:

Why'd they have to put another NIN cover in the trailer? Now I'm going to watch this stupid poo poo to see if they actually use the soundtrack well again.

Music is the only consistently great thing about this show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So was the last episode of this the one where future soldier Jesse Pinkman put the kibosh on raping the hosts after their training exercise? Also, why didn't they just switch the hosts into freak mode after training?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

LLLLLLLLLLEEEEETTTTTSSSSSSS GET REEEAAADDDDDYYYY TO STUMMMMM-BBBBLLLLLEEEEEEE!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I was questioning why I still watch this show and I'll be damned if the last minute didn't hook me back in.

E: My god, that version of Video Games.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 27, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Qmass posted:

so the "deloris city" (manhatten ?) - you don't put 3 d-bags jogging down a staircase saying "this place is loving wild" because they just had really good sushi on their day off... do you ? so its a holiday sim ?

Maybe it's like a Sex In the City World. Something geared toward people who want a lot less violence and death in their adventure. It's not like Second Life and The Sims didn't have huge followings.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ignis posted:

He was killed and replaced by Robo Ed Harris, who works for Halebot

I had the same question, thanks for answering. I absolutely don't remember that happening but sure, why not? I had to Google IMDB to remember who Halebot was. Not sure if that's a damning statement about my memory, the length of time between seasons, or the quality of the storytelling. Probably all three.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Meh, I've gotten used to shows telling instead of showing when it comes to stuff like that. The world went to poo poo while Rick Grimes was in a coma in TWD, they didn't show much combat at all in Man In the High Castle. Wars and the apocalypse aren't really tough and expensive to film.

From the episode preview: goddam if Teddy picking up the rolling lipstick and handing it to Delores/Christina wasn't :3:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 28, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I have no confidence this show can string together another great season, hell I'm not even sure it will pull off another great episode, but it has pulled off some really great scenes. I'd put Maeve See Upstairs and William Goes Off on Confederados up with any individual scenes from any show, it's just they can't do it consistently and, even when they do, they can't manage to go anywhere with it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Now that I've had a little time to think about the episode (and rewatch the last scene waiting for Last Week Tonight to start) I've decided I'm 100% on board with Wholesome Delores. The rest not so much, but maybe it'll grow on me too. Maybe it's the Ted Lasso effect, maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age. Don't know, don't care. I, too, want a story with a happy ending.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Robots wipe out humans. Discover the Frozen Ark. Repopulate Earth with all the animals that live here in the late 20th century and leave the planet as a nature preserve with no humans or hosts. The hosts then leave in a spaceship to explore the stars with their new leader, Lt. Cdr. Data.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The golf scene was really fun even though it would be comically easy to make a golf ball that could fly itself into a hole with WW technology levels, IE with internal gyroscopes. Which is actually a pretty good summary of Westworld. It's pretty cool as long as you don't think too hard about it.

E: Maybe that's why VP wasn't losing his mind during it, that he suspected it was an automated golf ball but that cuts against the emotion the scene seemed designed to elicit.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Holy poo poo, imagine if that scene was the first time they showed Teddy this season including episode previews. It would have hit like an atomic bomb.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I have no confidence in their ability to stick the landing....but....this is actually good so far?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This show is great again. You just have to remember not think too hard about anything that is happening. For example, one would think a giant speaker in NYC telling everyone to mob and subdue the rebels would be serious problem. Nah, don't worry about it. You just have to fight evade about 20 of them and then you'll be able to escape to your boat because apparently only those20 got the message. Is shooting a robot in the chest an effective way to disable one? Sure. They fall unconscious for a few minutes because of pain or whatever, I guess they can't turn it off.

Sometimes I can't tell if watching stuff like Pitch Meetings and Critical Drinker have ruined my ability to enjoy TV like a normal person or if the writers/producers/directors really are just making a lot of bad choices in shows I watch.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I felt like this episode was a nod to The O.A. and I absolutely loved it. The little glass rooms for the Calebs. Having to learn a little bit more of the escape route each iteration. Crawling in the ceiling ducts. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it sure seemed to be.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So William got sick of the RPG elements and pivoted to hardcore deathmatch. This show is a pretty, pretty mess and I still love it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This really episode really cements the idea that the hosts are all about the drama. Maeve could've just waited a moment for Hale to get scooped out before swooping in, but she just had to have a fight.

Anyway, the show is really plowing through its minority characters.

It's fine. Host, human, whatever. This show practices rigorous file backup protocols. Just print a new one and keep going.

This show is a lot of fun if you just don't think too hard about anything. It's teaching us not to question the nature of our TV viewing reality.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lmao that didn’t long. Also, loving campers.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

You just can’t think about it too hard. Hosts should be built like General Grievous or something. Or maybe have multiple pearls.

E: instead they follow same rules as zombies in The Walking Dead.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

NoDamage posted:

This season had a promising start but they completely blew the ending. What a waste.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I don’t know why you’d bother putting spoilers on anything, you can watch the episode a few times and still have no loving clue what happened. You can’t spoil something, if it’s rotten.

That about sums it up. Even though I just watched it last night, I feel like I couldn't explain it to anyone because I don't really remember anything particularly noteworthy. There are no stakes because hosts can always just be brought back online. They spent the first 5 minutes of the episode undoing one of the big plot points of the end of the last episode. There aren't any human characters left, except for Aaron Paul's daughter, but at this point I don't even care about any of them. I guess a robot copy of a human psyche having a farewell with his daughter because he was dying for...uh....reasons? was touching or bittersweet or something. So now Clementine has become a terminator for...reaons, but she wipes on the first human she encounters after deciding to take over the world, so that was....something. And now they're off to duke it out one more time in a server farm? Seems like a dicey place to entrust your consciousness. That was my main complaint with the otherwise beautiful and great San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

Also why do hosts get hobbled and stunned by gunshot wounds and punches? They should take them like Terminators or Captain Marvel takes Thanos' punch.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 15, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It didn't feel at all like a series finale to me, it felt like they reset the table for one final showdown season. To me a series finale ties everything up, this was more of a cliffhanger even if people no longer are as invested in finding out the answers.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

atomicpile posted:

Well, not sure what I expected but that was disappointing. How did what’s his name ride a horse apparently across the continental US in a couple of hours? Future horse?

You're putting more thought into the show than the writers did.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

This show never had or will have as good a moment as the BSG midseason 4 finale

A whole episode or a moment? I would submit Maeve seeing upstairs in S1 can hang with the best single scenes of any series I've watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wasn’t it always a summer show?