Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought the existence of the 'do crimes' app indicated that Caleb was in a simulation, because i thought he was an ex-con on parole or something, but I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It would have been cool to get some kind of programming quirk or loophole instead of a math joke which doesn't even hang a TI-86. :shrug:

I'm trying to imagine something like Maeve running into corners repeatedly and jumping into small spaces to try to glitch the simulation out and get out of bounds, and it's kinda hilarious to me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it's definitely more coherent than S2. What it really lacks is emotional connective tissue to make people care about what happens to anyone, and to make it clear why they're doing what they're doing. It kinda feels like they wrote the finale, decided it was so loving awesome that it could basically stand on its own and didn't need the rest of the episodes, so they never bothered creating a strong narrative/emotional thread that'd have people invested by the time the finale came around. It's hard to judge these things on their own, but I do feel the final episode is pretty good judged in isolation (at least quite a few steps above a lot of the rest), it's just that it tries to deliver on a setup they didn't bother making. The exact same finale with a proper setup would've been received much better I feel.

Yeah, it feels like they had a start point and an end point and then kinda struggled to get from A to B. I enjoyed it more than season 2, and it was more straightforward maybe to a fault. Dolores' motivation for picking Caleb really shouldn't have been a thing for the last episode- it felt like that should've been a conversation in the plane that we missed.

It's funny, we see a lot of really boring, unnecessary scenes but any potentially interesting emotional stuff gets kneecapped by being off screen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One thing i will say is, this show is not subtle in the slightest. The ability of the do crimes app to make humans do whatever is so on the nose it's kinda hilarious how brutally they really want to beat you on the head with the theme.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

professor metis posted:

We just never get to see Dolores' development and it sucks. I would have loved to see her changing her mind about humans but no, it had to be a twist.

It's like the conversation with Caleb in the plane- they seemed more interested in having Dolores go terminator on people or fighting Maeve than really telling an emotional story. I am completely uninterested in watching hosts fight. I think i've seen just about every kind of host fight there is in the first two seasons.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sedgr posted:

My assumption for a long time was that the "real" world was going to get revealed as essentially Grand Theft Auto World, and that Caleb was some nobody NPC that didn't even rate a story loop that Delores was trying to wake up like her and the other woke hosts.

I think they were definitely trying to point that way metaphorically with things like the do crime app and a computer that had everyone's story loop already planned out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So tbh most of your criticism is valid but I thought the show did manage to point out that Dolores had come to realise that most of humanity was being controlled/ruled by the same lovely assholes in the park, and they were as trapped in the same loops as the hosts. As a host she would have had no context for Aaron Paul's "but we're not those rich assholes" statement (it "wouldn't have looked like anything" to her), but when she runs into him again and brings up his details it would have further proof that the people she had the real problems with were the 1%, and the system that props them up and allows things like Westworld to happen.

It's also noticeable that a part of Dolores really does want to destroy all of humanity, and that part is now embodied in Charlotte.

A lot of the things that I don't like about the season come to them not really wanting to take the time to show us Dolores coming to terms with what humanity really is. We don't see emotional realizations or Dolores looking into things, we see her halfway into her plan from the start and they carefully leave out moments that'd provide a lot more connective tissue between s2 and s3 Dolores. In exchange we got a bunch of host fights and Maeve, Bernard, and Stubbs kinda puttering around the plot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's so weird that they never did a flashback episode that covered this :sigh:

It's weird that they never gave Aaron Paul a chance to react to learning that Dolores is a host in that airplane, cause that scene just feels like easy money emotionally, but uh, instead we see the tales of the drone-guided sniper rifle vs helicopter drone.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It felt like any kind of connective tissue in the story was replaced with host fights and hosts fighting one another is one of the most boring things i've ever seen. What if we watched two people fight but they no-sell everything yet still fistfight anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I really like the way this season's going- i think it's conceptually a lot more interesting than 3, though you definitely need to know some things from 3 to make this season make sense.

"What does winning really look like?" but from the perspective of the hosts is good material.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Spoilers:

One of the things I thought interesting with the parks the machines made was that they basically made every human a different flavor of rich rear end in a top hat, likely because those are the people with whom they were most familiar.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I enjoyed it, i kinda wish they'd leaned more on William wanting the world to just be Counter-Strike because honestly i thought that was the most interesting aspect of his character.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In terms of deeper thoughts, I thought the one throughline of S4 was that pretending to be humans basically makes you adapt to them, and their world conquest involved pretending to be massive assholes so that's what they did. It's commentary about how pretending to be something for long enough just makes you the thing. It's not subtle. Ed Harris blurts it out at the end. Hale complains about it a lot.

While I think the Bernard plot had a lot of coincidences, and yeah a lot of them are just so Bernard can monologue to people, I wasn't that taken out of it- he ran a bunch of simulations and the only ones that seemed to have Hale do the thing were ones where he brought Maeve along and had her die in this place. I think there was probably a better way to craft the last two episodes to make a lot more sense, but I didn't hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Eej posted:

smh all these boomer takes saying William is playing Counter-Strike. He's clearly turned the world into a Battle Royale. The dude is camping and letting people kill each other so he can pick off the remaining weakened targets so he can grab the good loot when it's all clear.

To continue the gamer analogy this season:

Dolores is playing the Sims
Bernard went to Gamefaqs and made a walkthrough that has branching option trees that he's checking the RNG seed against to get to the True End
Caleb is playing Dark Souls and clicking on every bloodstain and there's even a near-dead Caleb in the vent slouched in the same way as a random body holding a random soul

I'm in, Bernard doing the Maeve RNG manip to get Hale to pick up the pad- it's like a Hitman speedrun.