Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Alan Smithee posted:

so how does the crimebucks work

do you get paid in chucky cheese crime tokens and then get real money or maybe you do the pachinko thing and buy a giant stuffed bear for crime tokens

Botcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Avenue 5 is like Futurama and Veep had a baby and it's great.

Anyway, I don't know if it was thought out this far, but I appreciate how the world is definitely someplace Ford would not want to be.

I wanted more MIB in my first episode.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Genre is good to compare to Nostalgia because it's very different. All genre did was color perceptions; Caleb didn't hallucinate anything except for music and shading.

To me it was analogous to the parks in Westworld, especially the reskinning of the brothel robbery in Samuraiworld. Each park and host are dressed up in themes with all the bells and whistles, but it's an illusion covering up an immoral system destroying lives.

superjew fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 14, 2020

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So tbh most of your criticism is valid but I thought the show did manage to point out that Dolores had come to realise that most of humanity was being controlled/ruled by the same lovely assholes in the park, and they were as trapped in the same loops as the hosts. As a host she would have had no context for Aaron Paul's "but we're not those rich assholes" statement (it "wouldn't have looked like anything" to her), but when she runs into him again and brings up his details it would have further proof that the people she had the real problems with were the 1%, and the system that props them up and allows things like Westworld to happen.

It's also noticeable that a part of Dolores really does want to destroy all of humanity, and that part is now embodied in Charlotte.

This is a good summation and I didn't think about what context she would have when she was in the combat sim. It reminds me of when we saw her in the real world being used to sell the park to investors.

I also like the level of exhaustion Dolores shows this season, highlighted by her saying free will is "loving hard" to Caleb. There was a theme of Ford and Arnold being the parents of the hosts in the first season and from that I'm getting a sort of "Party of Five" vibe from this season (I've never watched that show so I'm going for a rough metaphor).

I have a sinking feeling the next season will go back and forth between the dusty hellscape they've teased and the immediate aftermath of Roboat being shut down.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Does "the Sonic movie was OK" count as Teddy appreciation?

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Hopefully they’ve got Ramin Djawadi scoring it again. If millions must be spent creating a poorly written show about robits so that we get a few cool orchestral covers, so be it.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

esperterra posted:

Return of the Teddy Appreciation Station??

I’m surprised we’re not renaming it back to Teddy Appreciation Station right now.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Very excited for some great music. They’d better not be doing a Portal 2 with a human on which Dolores was modeled story. If we’re throwing prediction darts at the wall I’ll guess that CPAlores is part of some backup Rehoboam battery simulation.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

I came for great music, I’m staying for Stubbs and B doing a Mad Max buddy cop show.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Zlodo posted:

the whole caleb escape hell loop thing with Hale harassing him has some Portal vibe to it

Chell is the rat man!

Speaking of Portal vibes, very nice to hear the Dr. Ford theme played as Bernard repairs Maeve in the ruined labs. Body of Arnold, will of Ford.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

When we revisit the scene of MIB passing his fidelity test I hope he was built with the memory of convincing DIB to stab him.

I’m going with DIB now.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

I'm finding it difficult to hone in on a message or theme for this season, as entertaining as it is. Hosts finding their identity/agency and humans trying to reject self-imposed limitations were fun despite clunky writing/editing/production for the first three seasons, but now I guess it's less about exploring those ideas and more about playing with the characters that we're left with.

I'm hoping Bernard knew that this episode's victims (and other dead hosts) will be brought back somehow, and that his message was for his new self and not for Christina. I don't see how they can sell a fifth season without Bernard and Maeve (unless it becomes the Stubbs show and also bring back Elsie somehow please) I'm also hoping that the fidelity-passing MIB from the end of season 2 is a new William that's made to take out DIB.

Having sat with it I appreciate how the scene of DIB stabbing William rounds out a rule of three for Westworld owners being killed by hosts on their way to the center of the maze.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Oddly getting The Good Place vibes from this show.

Finale was alright, but there's just so much exposition and repetition this season. I can tell they're going for some kind of poetic impact but it comes off as drawn out and tropey, like a Bond villain droning on about the fine details of their plan. The repeated flashbacks Bernard had to Akecheta in the Sublime was the least clunky execution, but I thought I had a small stroke at the end of this episode when Dolores said the same speech at least twice in a row without anything visual to differentiate each reading.

Still good to have a decent idea of what's coming while it still being a mystery as to where this is going. It felt like they were trying to say the outliers also won't survive, but I thought there was a base with more people who could repopulate.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I forgot, what happened to the original Teddy? Delores was saying she wanted to see him in the sublime, but I thought he blew his brains out and damaged his brain ball so he didn’t get to go to the sublime?

Yeah, I recall he tried to give Doriginalores an "ends don't justify the means" lesson by offing himself and he never made it into the sublime. I guess this Teddy was rebuilt from this Christina's subconscious in a way that precludes the season 2 stuff.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Jorge Bell, later:

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

See you all in the reboot thread in 20-30 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

I wonder if it’s related to GOT outpacing it’s source material. Somehow they did a worse job on this.