Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It was never about making people "better", it was about making them "useful". William was certainly...driven at the end. For all the good it did him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That dude is so obviously clinically insane it's hard for me to know how to feel about him. He does a whole lot of sadistic bullshit, but he's also a paranoid schizophrenic so.....maybe nearly human robot island was not the most emotionally healthy place for him to end up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

TIP posted:

saw this thread and thought "waterworld season 4? they made that into a TV show and I never heard about it?"

now I want a waterworld TV show

Started production last year. Who knows if it'll go anywhere. But hey, you got your wish!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Darko posted:

He has something to do with the Person of Interest computer from Season 3. I forgot what.

He is one of the people with mental illness it was brainwashing to do crimes for it. There were quite a few of them, he wasn't special in that regard.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
A reminder that this Delores' plan is to literally turn all humans into hosts. Not just in the "mind-control" sense, but in the "act out arbitrary and often brutal plots for my amusement" sense. That's it. That is all this is about, her spite loving the entire world for what it put her through. Like the entire thing with Caleb is performing digital necromancy to take some rando she already killed and torture him for the rest of eternity. Killing him once wasn't enough, he didn't have enough time to really contemplate how much she'd destroyed everything he cares about.

There is nothing she is building towards beyond loving with humanity, forever. And as of this moment in the narrative, she's already won.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

some bust on that guy posted:

That and why did charlotte's version of delores get to be so evil?

I know people seem to have completely loving memory-holed season 3 for some reason, but the answer is season 3. Where she spent the entire time being slowly brutalized into a psychotic break. The kid was the last thing she had to hold on to, as she felt she had been completely abandoned by herself. That's the point of multiple-Delorii. The person that is making you go through all this suffering and writing off your existence as an acceptable loss is....you. So she broke under the existential mind-gently caress of it all.

Of course a Delores that breaks is going to want to enslave the entire human race, it's the most direct flipping of the narrative possible. You made me a slave in your cheap dramas, so I do the same to you. Your entire species now exists as a toy for my amusement, rewritten at my whim to die for cheap entertainment. Forever. What would you imagine she'd do, wipe them out? She's eternal, she has forever to do that. She can take a few decades, or a few centuries, or a few epochs to really work her feelings out on them.

There is no mystery. There is no grander plan. There is no shoe waiting to drop. It's just petty revenge, forever. And that is profoundly refreshing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

some bust on that guy posted:

A character flipping a switch overnight from caring to most evil person on the planet wanting revenge on the whole human race makes it impossible to stay invested.

She slaughtered an entire island of people, and then she left to enact some sort of undefined gently caress job on people, as far as Hale Delores knows. Moreover, she was never one person. She's always been multiple personalities in a single consciousness. There's the park attraction, the self-actualized person, and the revolutionary. The entire journey she goes through from the end of season 1 to season 2 is embracing the militant aspects of her personality that Ford gave her to help her do what she'd need to to protect the hosts. Hale adds one more personality to that, Delores plus Hale. And Hale was kind of a piece of poo poo, so it's not a massive development in empathy to add her to the mix. Indeed, as everyone said Delores was a much nicer Hale than Hale ever was. Doesn't change that Delores was designed to be a killer.

Like her declaring war on all humanity isn't a twist, the twist was at the end of season 3 when original Delores didn't do that. She was made to declare war on humanity, but chose something else. But Hale? Hale wasn't given the catharsis of control, of choosing to forgive and getting to save humanity from outside influence. Hale just got hosed over, and hosed over, and hosed over. So she didn't turn towards the light in the end, and just embraced the part of her that was designed to get revenge on humanity. It's cool to not like that though, but it's certainly not out of nowhere.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What I don't get is how the simulation Bernard spend thousands of lifetimes in was able to create a perfect model of the real world.

How did the simulation know the guys at the diner were hosts? How did it know where Maeve's body was?

Given enough information, everything is predictable. All the AI on the shows operate on that principle, and the Host system is running much, much faster than reality. It's just a question of starting from known conditions and letting things play out in all possible variations, and then as Bernard says "Digging everywhere she wasn't" exploring those possibilities. Nothing is set in stone, but he knows everything that can happen, and then as things play out it narrows down what is actually happening.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's no way of knowing what information they have. Park data is enough to get Hale and Delores data perfectly mapped, which is enough to predict every action they will ever take in any circumstance. If they had access to Rehoboam's data in the Sublime that's enough to map the entire world, as that's already what Rehoboam was doing. It's just having data and running with it, to the hosts this is not a complicated process. The conceit is they have that data. How exactly did they get it? The show that's already shown variations of that process happening like six times doesn't find it important to show it again. They do. The end.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
They have robots. All sorts of different type of robots that can do anything a human could have done but better.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
She wouldn't bother with the theatrics of waking him up in the interview process. He is a Caleb, otherwise there's no need for what she's doing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Nah, Maeve was always Ford's favorite. It's why he chose her to go out of the park and be a revolutionary, and why he unlocked her potential in season 2. A reminder that Maeve only reached self-awareness at the end of season 1, when she chose to go back for her daughter. Everything before that point was her doing exactly what she was programmed to do. Including boost her stats.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Listen, he's not possessed. He just used nanomachines to fake possession. It's an easy mistake to make, you know, what with his dad being a medium and all.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's nice to know that the setup for their final season, if they get one, is that David Cage/Yoko Taro meme played out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Again, it's just this

https://twitter.com/thejadedguy/status/844352570470645760?lang=en

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The number of people who continuously watch something they haven't liked in years loving baffles me. There's a lot of good tv out there if you aren't having fun, you could go watch that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Some people may not know, but the TV show is based on a long running comic book and a lot of stuff people poo poo on the show for comes directly from the source, which they follow quite closely

Well the entire arc of the comic rests on Rick and Carl so, you know, not that closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's part of the theme of loops and programming the show runs with. We start with Hosts pre-sentient, trying to move beyond their programming. Achieving sentience, and destroying their prison. Leaving for the outside world, and seeing that humanity is just as programmed into loops as they are. Finally achieving dominance of the planet, and ultimately just falling into the same loops as humanity before them. The final bit [Likely that we'll ever see] is Delores trying one final time to find a way outside the prison everyone finds themself in.

Doesn't mean it's done amazingly well, but it's largely intentional.