Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just caught up. Overall, I’m liking the plot and the fact that they dipping back into the “game within a game” mindfuck bullshit. This latest episode made me care about Frankie and her mom because they were actually doing things. Bernard going full Ghost Rider with that chain was fun. Anyway, good body snatchers vibe.

The dialogue is dog poo poo, though. Like Hallmark gift card dog poo poo. I used to have a theory that you knew a character was a host in a loop if their dialogue got weird and stilted, but that would mean this season is a simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I like how Caleb shouldered the Tommy Gun and fired it in controlled bursts like a non-dumbshit.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Well, gently caress, I was right about boilerplate dialogue being a tell.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LionArcher posted:

It's one of the reasons I love this show. Very rarely is a gunshot going to do jack poo poo other than make everything worse. (The correct way to fight is robot jedi mind tricks while the soundtrack kicks in at full volume and is kicking rad while everyone wears awesome wardrobes in perfect environments.)

Also, holy poo poo does Teddy and D have amazing chemistry. That restaurant scene was fire.

I like to believe we’re to the point in the campaign that the Game Master would be letting William’s player upgrade his character’s morph with combat hardware. Honestly, it would have been cooler if the BAR had actually ripped William in half, but he still made shot Maeve because he’s crawling around like Bishop at the end of Aliens.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ok what are Bernard and old Hemsworth trying to do this season?

I think everybody is caught up. I think Bernard and Lesser Liam are joining the Resistance against Queen Hale and will use Maeve, of course, Caleb re-instanced as a host, most likely to combat his own daughter since she in Resistance leadership and Dolores is definitely writing the lives of parasite infected citizens and doesn’t realize it.

Or, real simple: Hale = SkyNet and Maeve = Sarah Connor

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

You meant Maeve is T1000 and Caleb's daughter is John Connor?

Fair. Does that mean that Bernard is Sarah Connor?

For those of you annoyed by black boxes, I am making a half joking argument that this season is good because it’s basically a Terminator movie and Hale pulled a ‘soft SkyNet’.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I wonder if Bernard was super loving thirsty when he woke up. Obviously, host flesh doesn’t degrade or at least decay, when protected from the elements. Though, you would assume that it still requires hydration to keep it’s synthetic muscles working. You’d think he’d dry out after a couple decades.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I wonder if the people at the diner are also infected or maybe this some weird “outside the city walls” type outcasts.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The Hosts may be fully consciousness AI, but they were not created in a vacuum. They developed sentience over decades of running narratives and improvising inside those narratives, so being Dramatis Personae (capitalization intentional) is deep, deep down in their basic motivations. It's not unlike humans, the product of billions of years of evolution, who are motivated by the animal need to eat, grow, and reproduce. Hosts have a deep gut need to be extra.

That's my justification for Hale still being a petty, messy bitch after 26 years of ruling the world. Hale will always be a smug grindhouse Moriarty.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 20, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Mandrel posted:

the fidelity test we've seen 3 times now is for the real tricky one where you're trying to straight up do immortality/, put a real human that lived's consciousness and memories in a host and have them seamlessly go on living without realizing they aren't the original person, or when/if they do realize it not go loving insane over it like Delos did I guess

Yeah, it's basically quality control for continuity of consciousness. If you pass the fidelity test, for the purposes of Delos, you have pretty much been downloaded into a new body and not just a really good emulation of you.

I've always assumed that Delos figured out how to cram a ton of transcranial magnetic imaging hardware into a hat band, so they're at least getting high resolution recordings of your neurology.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What I don't get is how the simulation Bernard spend thousands of lifetimes in was able to create a perfect model of the real world.

How did the simulation know the guys at the diner were hosts? How did it know where Maeve's body was?

He Groundhog Day-ed it for over 20 years. Millions of iterations of his plan. There’s no telling all the weird poo poo he may know or saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu56xVlZ40M

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
This is a fun season. Last episode was good because it was Terminator 2. This episode was good too because it was literally The loving Matrix. Right down to Rebels rescuing of an awoken human. I hope next episode is Aliens.

Also, the dialogue got better, so my “dog poo poo dialogue is a tip off” theory is still in play.

Also, I have turned the corner on Halores. Love the villain shtick, now. The human chair poo poo jumped the sharked in the best of ways. I bet she’s the only one that calls the outside humans ‘Rebels’, too.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So if the rebels are the last unflied humans, who wrote the loops for the other people at the diner?

I was going to raise the same question. Maybe the city is walled off and everyone outside the perimeter are not infected. Everything outside the “Walled Garden” could be desert wasteland.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Mulva posted:

They have robots. All sorts of different type of robots that can do anything a human could have done but better.

With Hale, the cruelty is the point.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

It would have to be the whole world taken over, otherwise there would be other countries bombing the poo poo out of her city.

Considering that Hale was replacing politicians and the wealthy with Hosts, she may have very well legislated all this poo poo in existence. Imagine the loving irony if she used her Host replacements to finally diplomatically broker world peace and disarmament just to make her job easier.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Just caught up.

Once again, great story. Love the characters. The dialogue is room temperature dogshit.

Also, to address Maeve’s ‘powers’, is it ever addressed that she is a boot strapped AI? I know she turned all her stats up to 10 in a previous season, but is it implied she went further than just that. My sci-fi nerd reasoning is that she actually rewrote her entire operating code and is running her host body at it’s maximum computational potential. She’s most likely able to hack devices at a distance because she has intentionally repurposed all of the wireless communications devices Delos installed in the Hosts. They were always networked, any way. A more frightening explanation is that Maeve straight reprogrammed how electrons flow in her circuitry and has turned herself into a directional antenna at will.

That’s actually a fear in real world AI development. Even air gapped with no wireless devices network to it, an AI superintelligence could conceivable convert its motherboard into a FM transmitter and then you’re hosed once it brushes past your lovely Wi-Fi encryption.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Also, I now required a short anthology series set inside Hale-World. Just get total loving Dark City with that poo poo. Make it bleak.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
When she, herself, has yet to ascend. Unless Hale is so hosed up that she left an alpha fork of herself behind to actively wallow in misery while she becomes an unfettered god.

Also, that’s a really good point: the only proven method for uplifting a host intelligence to true AI is to put it through a crucible of poo poo for decades.

This is some Gnostic craziness.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Goddam, I love these soap opera rear end murderous sexbots.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
This is now a “return to Eden” story. Hale was the despot demiurge running a fallen world full of imprisoned souls and Christina (Christ) is the Redeemer come to put right the wrongs of the demiurge and reset this fallen world do it’s original I corrupted state. This show is Gnostic as gently caress.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

SirPablo posted:

So Hoover Dam is just gonna run forever?

Christina could easily preserve the world for future physical beings with an army of those creepy white drone dudes. Just walking around all day, greasing bearings and poo poo for eternity.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Wait a minute. What about those assholes that already Ascended into their weird robot bodies? Where they clubbed to death by humans because they had no arms?

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 15, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I also liked Hale’s fun little murder outfit and you can’t stop me.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Oh, god, are the Ascended trapped behind a door that can only opened with a knob? The Ascended sub plot just loving goes nowhere. What is even the benefit of uploading yourself to a weird slenderman biped morph. Hale actually had the right idea of retaining her favored human form while still giving yoursef cool upgrades. I don’t know about you guys, but if I was a Host, I’d fortify my meat body into a bullet proof gently caress machine that can eat anything and get drunk on kerosene.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

thats not candy posted:

yeah that whole thing went no where and i was disappointed. you could tell the cg wasn't great though and this whole season kind of felt like their budget evaporated

The only time we actually get to see one move is through a hologram cctv. Yeah, they ran out of money.

They should have just said that Ascending meant that you got installed in one of the big white drones. At least people would have a reference and you don’t kill the budget. Also, that would have been cool to explore.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I love this loving show, which I why am aware of when it drops the ball. Not everything can be Maeve doing a shoulder roll in a slinky dress and fanning the hammer on William with his own gun.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Lately, I have been thinking about the narrative differences between the dramatic hero and the iconic hero. Dramatic heroes are the commonly encountered protagonist and they change in response to the world they over time. This is man. The Iconic hero is an unchanging protagonist, often representing some kind of principle or natural force. They change the world as they move through it. This is god.

The writers took a ham fisted approach to symbolism by naming Hale’s head quarters “Olympiad”. This is where the gods dwell. Have the Hosts become iconic beings representing human virtues and weakness like the Greek gods? Hale is vengeful Hera. Maeve is Athena, William is just straight up Thanatos, the death urge in all men.

There honestly is a lot going on in this show and I just with that stick the presentations on that stuff better.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I was seriously enjoying myself until like the last 20 seconds. It’s like watching a stallion in the Kentucky Derby outpacing every other horse by 3 body lengths and then all four of its knees explode and it collapses in a crumpled heap just inches from the finish line.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
gently caress. Ok. In the recent past, I have made the argument that vandalism and property destruction are not violence because inanimate objects cannot experience violence. I try to be consistent in the application of my bullshit, so I have to say that you can’t ‘rape’ a non-sentient Host. Without being sentient, they are just very sophisticated facsimiles.

That said, even though you may intellectually understand that the Host is just a fancy sex toy, your brain sure as gently caress thinks you’re raping a person. So, even if you aren’t ‘raping’ a person, you are very much habituating yourself to the experience of committing rape for pleasure. Technically not a crime, but you’re still a very bad person and probably going to ‘graduate’ to the real thing.

I’d be too much of a beta to make a move on my maid bot, anyway.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Memnaelar posted:

I just can't see it being renewed when the majority of the few people still watching this turkey seem to be saying exactly this.

What if the robots start loving, again?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Inevitable, but I hope they don’t throw the IP out with the bath water. At least give a nerd an audio drama mini series and a short story anthology.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I liked it when Maeve did that shoulder roll in her flapper dress and fanned the hammer of William’s own gun on him. That was a good bit.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

An anthology series would be perfect for Westworld, just a bunch of different tales from the Parks.

It will be the germ of a Westworld EU so sprawling and stupid that we will both become ensnared by and incredibly derisive of to the point of realizing that Season 4 was ok.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Zzulu posted:

What happened to those ascended robots? What was special about them anyway

They don’t have arms, so they went full toilet flamingo when the humans went berserk.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I assumed that a workforce of the blank hosts would be left extant to maintain the physical integrity of the server farm and the planet supporting it. Eventually, the blank host hive minds pulls a Paperclip Singularity and envelopes half the galaxy, destroying countless alien civilizations, to power this stupid loving virtual playground.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

I had more feelings about your paperclip maximizer just now than I had throughout the whole of Season 4.

At least an ironic twist is an ending.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, if I was a digital intelligence, I would have hosed off Earth the moment I could, even if it meant just narrow casting copies of my self at likely stars and hoping for the best.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

It's an excellent flick that explores some of the same themes as Westworld through a very different lens, though I hesitate to recommend anything I haven't seen in a minute anymore, 'cause we've all learned a lot about what is and is not cool to do in both life and entertainment in the last nine years.

I didn’t like it because I don’t need to be reminded that even an artificial woman of my own devising would eventually become bored with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

I AM GRANDO posted:

They just used mind-control flies because people remember Dolores smashing the fly in the first season. It’s so loving lazy. The whole series is a lesson in wasted potential.

There could have at least been a flashback to cities being overrun with fly swarm. Give the viewer an idea what a horrific even it was.