Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sitchensis posted:

Did anyone else get gay vibes from Aaron Paul's character?

Would be an interesting twist.
Being gay isn't a plot twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Clearly this isn't the majority opinion, but I think this season has taken the tack of "we're not gonna' make the viewers feel like this is a puzzle anymore."

Now, we could view this cynically, where people complained about the show trying to out-think its audience and now the showrunners are course-correcting, and that's a pretty good read on things.

But honestly, even if this was an accident, the show correcting to a more straightforward narrative is pretty loving brilliant, because the character journeys are mirroring our own.

Meave's arc for this entire season could've been this last episode stretched out for eight episodes or more. But we know the show's tricks, and she knows the shows tricks, and she's as tired of them as we are, so when one more layer of bullshit was introduced, she was like, "nope. gently caress you."

I rather like this season so far. It isn't quite season one, but it might make season two better in retrospect.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:yeah:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, I'm not sure what the OP meant either. Like, did they pitch Season 3 and that's what got Season 1 picked up?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It really is impressive, the turnaround from season 2.

Plus I haven't heard or thought about Fischerspooner in over 20 years.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm still enjoying the show, but I don't know who I should be rooting for, or what Bernard and Meave are even trying to accomplish.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seariously, though, can somebody explain to me what Bernard is even trying to do?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fallouts 1, 2, and New Vegas are some of the greatest games of all time.

It's the Bethesda games that are poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

I felt like the 3rd season dropped the ball there as well. Seemed to be much less of it and used poorly.
They did use Fischerspooner's Emerge as credits music and for that, I am thankful.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I liked season 3 because during season 2 I realized the great season 1 was a complete story and its own thing and now this is a much less artistic show, so when season 3 was basically a sequel show about the technopocalypse, I viewed it as a huge step up.

But gently caress if I can remember anything but Marshawn Lynch's cool shirt, and Aaron Paul elevating all material he's given through sheer force of likeability.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Man alive there were some godawful twists at the end of that season. No wonder I blocked them out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Says it all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's wat insight was.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The time shift fuckery working in the first season is an albatross around the neck of this show now and I'm tired of them trying to outthink me at the expense of the story.

A twist only works if I'm invested and they're not clearing that bar. Two unrelated giant time skips in season 4 is not the sign of a healthy show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mulva posted:

The number of people who continuously watch something they haven't liked in years loving baffles me. There's a lot of good tv out there if you aren't having fun, you could go watch that.
Plenty of shows have jumped back over the shark. As for me, I'm just a completionist. It takes rather a lot to get me to just nope the hell out of something I've been watching for years.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jiffynuts posted:

That headcannon is a million times better than any possible S5 storeline a WW writer could come up with so I'd be happy with that.

Yea, I noped out of the last season and a half of Flash because I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sure I can suffer through a season 5 of Westworld. Can't be *that* bad.
Trying to remember some I actually did walk away from after a multi-year investment and I'm finding that the only ones I remember are ones where I can also pinpoint the exact moment I hosed off.

Power Rangers — I saw that five people who weren't the rangers I'd been following were wearing Ranger colors and doing heroic things, put together that the entire cast was about to be replaced all at once and noped out. Only ever caught reunion specials after that.

The Walking Dead - Glenn's death. Seems I was far from alone there as the ratings evidently took an absolute nose-dive right at that moment. They never returned and neither did I.

WWE - They had a wrestler without one pretend to have a cognitive disability and made fun of him non-stop. I was gone for like four years. Then once they had real competition, I jumped ship as fast as was humanly possible and haven't seen a single episode since that day.

Star Trek - About halfway through the premiere of Enterprise, I shut it off and literally went outside to just walk around and experience real life. At nine-something at night in the dark. I walked around a park for over an hour. Tried again recently and still couldn't get through the first two episodes. Came back when the franchise did with Discovery.

Boy Meets World - Cory goes to college and they retool the show for the third time. Never came back, but I wasn't angry and hoped everybody stayed employed and they kept making it. Just didn't speak to me anymore.

Archer - Several seasons in a row weren't canon even within the text, and despite the fact that it's all made up and none of it really happened, my brain cannot accept that kind of thing. Returned this last season when the canonicity of the material did.

The Simpsons - yvaN ehT nioJ. Never came back.

Tuca and Bertie - Season 2, episode 1. Show went from feeling like it was written by and for women to being written to mock women. Like some Adult Swim executive had an edict that "you got cancelled on Netflix for being that great show. Be a terrible show about farts now." Frankly, I don't care if that's how it went down because whatever it became wasn't made for me anymore and that's fine.

Handmaid's Tale - Somewhere in Season 2 or 3. "Y'know all that progress we've made? We're undoing all that and putting everybody back where they started. Watch how they get out of it this time!" I already did that, and if your show wasn't also a giant-rear end drag right when I did not need that, I may have stuck around, but as it stands, no thank you.

I could go on, but the thought exercise gave me the answer I needed: I would absolutely gently caress off from Westworld if this were 2007 and the show was just going to keep going until we all got tired of it, so I'm pretty sure I'm sticking around because I know this is gonna' end soon.

That's, uh... that's kinda' dire. And I actually liked Season 3. I don't know what the hell Season 4 even was.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gross.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

I might be misremembering but I think Glenn died in the comic book the show is based on and in the exact same way too, and that was pretty important for the story too. So I think it wanst something the TV show made up for shock or anything like that
Derryl literally isn't in that comic book. There's no way their hands were tied by something Robert Kirkman wrote ages ago in a completely different medium. They killed off one of the only leading Asian men in television because every actor gets a raise every year by SAG rules, and it came time to kill off an original cast member to free up some budget, and he was the one they picked.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Im curious what shows you've stopped watching? I'm the same way and I noped out of Dexter after the Edward James Olmos season and Star Trek Discovery and Picard.
I posted a few earlier and came to the conclusion after the thought exercise that I actually would have stopped watching Westworld too if it were occurring in the era of television where popular shows just always ran until they were bad, then several years more.

So, I'll give this one more year if it gets it, but only because there'll only be one more year. It's not entertainingly bad right now, and that's the far greater sin than merely not matching its prior quality.
Eugene.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Season 1 is for sure the absolute high point of the show, it's my favorite season by far, and none of the other seasons come close even though I liked all of it.
When people ask me if Westworld is any good, I tell them that season 1 is the movie you loved and seasons 2 on are the underwhelming sequels.

It's a complete story in that first season, sure, but it's the only one that feels like art at the end of the day while the others feel like commerce.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What a loving waste. Seems getting high on your own supply is on the Nolan family crest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They didn't know.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What a loving disappointment. I was even one of the people on board with the show's move from art to sci fi schlock once I accepted that's what happened, but then it wasn't even good at being that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Be sure to watch the Peripheral if you want more from the Westworld writers.
Whywould I ever want that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I said come in! posted:

If you watched all four seasons of Westworld then you have no standards. :v:
I know you're joking, but I'm gonna' pop off anyway because I loves me a rant.

My propensity to "it's just a little slimy! It's still good!" my way through the poo poo years of a show I previously loved that ultimately wastes my time and emotional investment is actually a reason why I *shouldn't* trust those people ever again.

I'm not rewarding those fucks and I'm certainly not leaving myself open to yet another crushing disappointment.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I watched the show one or two episodes at a time, broken up over months, and by the third season I couldn't keep track of who was who and had no real understanding of what was happening or why.
You'd have had the same reaction if you marathoned it and paid rapt attention.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

She was the loving co-protagonist. I can't *believe* how they treated her.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Everybody you cared about is dead and now they're all copies of another person you cared about who's also dead, and they're all at odds with each other for vague reasons and you'll need to go to a message board to ask who they are and why everything's happening wait where did our viewers go?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had more feelings about your paperclip maximizer just now than I had throughout the whole of Season 4.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't actually seen Her, so.... v:shobon:v
It's an excellent flick that explores some of the same themes as Westworld through a very different lens, though I hesitate to recommend anything I haven't seen in a minute anymore, 'cause we've all learned a lot about what is and is not cool to do in both life and entertainment in the last nine years.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been waiting for that shoe to drop for a while now and now that it has, I have to pick a new low they will disappointingly meet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

Why do showrunners even say this anymore? Its always a lie, and it doesn't earn anyone any good will.
Because after the endings of high-profile mystery box shows like Battlestar Galactica and LOST disappointed so many (myself thankfully not among them; I loved both,) and Game of Thrones, etc., showrunners often need to convince their audience that they won't be wasting their time to invest in a longform story with a lot of dangling mystery plots, and "we have a plan" is a lot more convincing to people who aren't terminally online than those who are, and sounds better than "we'll make something up when we get there," which is ironic as hell, because that's how Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and Venture Brothers work, and those shows never once fell on their face tying things up with a bow.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

How I Met Your Mother has entered the chat.
How, exactly, do you think they de-aged the child actors by like a decade so they could achieve the ending? HIMYM was demonstrably planned from the start. They shot the ending all the way back in season 2.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I brought up because it is a good example how planning things out is no guarantee for success because it’s hard to predict how audiences will react to things over time.
Oh, jeez. I'm so sorry. I completely misunderstood.

Darko posted:

"What happens at the end of the robot war" and "What happens at the end of the robot war also who are these secret cylons and gods" are things that should have answers when you write the question.
On the topic of BSG, in a recent rewatch, I found that it held together really well and built to the ending we got the whole time.

There's even a part toward the start of the series where head six straight-up says "I'm an angel sent by god" or something to that effect.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 10, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Splendid posted:

That and the more we learnt about the cylons in charge the less compelling they became for me.
Counterintuitively, that made them more interesting to me. The more we learned about them, the more we realized they were just the damaged children carrying on the trauma, both of and from, their parents.

If they'd have not loving "AND THEY HAVE A PLAN" every gods damned episode, it would've landed a lot better with the viewers, because they emphatically did not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's on every release. It's on the Blu Rays. It's effectively a second intro for the show, which is weird. I've not encountered too many shows with those. Quantum Leap had one, Buffy had one for a season or two... things with a premise that needs to be explained quickly for new viewers, I suppose. But this one was just out of place and really set expectations entirely in the wrong direction.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loved the final five reveal. Every bit of it. That scene with Tigh and Adama landed perfectly.

Westworld *wishes* it could be that good past its first season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aw, balls. That would've been way the gently caress better. I wish I'd never learned that.

But I still loved it. Here's hopin' I still do next time around.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What even was it? I don't remember.

Edit: or most of season 2, for that matter. I pretty much only remember the Shogunworld reveal in the finale and that rad standalone episode that turned out to have been a last-minute addition to the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gods, what a loving waste.

I get being lost in the weeds and losing sight of things, but how do you drop so many balls so spectacularly?

Between this, Game of Thrones, and the Honey Boo Boo guy now running Warner Brothers, I have zero faith in any HBO show to stick the landing. Or even be around long enough to do so.

And I really like The Last of Us. :(