Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A little heavy on the Game of Thrones World, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno, I'm already tired of Dolores being unstoppable and badass and one step ahead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

I think the weak link for me so far has probably been OG Delores.

All of her motivations and actions make sense, but they make it hard for her to be a compelling protagonist.
From memory, she's done nice things for 2 people in all of 8 and despite her drive coming from having suffered for years, none of it registers when you see her because the character's become totally robotic (lol)

I would've either kept the plot but had the focus more on the people trying to stop her and paint her as closer to a villain or give her more sympathetic traits or at least some emotion.

Yeah, her taking the bullets for Caleb was a step in the right direction though. Shows that she does care and maybe has some feelings for him. Aaron Paul has been doing the heavy lifting for the duo though and they need to let ERW give OG Dolores some emotional beats pretty soon.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This show should have just been Tessa Thompson and Riot Control Bot out on the town

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey it's Japanese Armistice.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Probably just root for Caleb.

Maeve is the worst though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Each season has reality world more far into the future, with more advanced driverless golf car prop.

Next season is all about Bikelores bonding with someone who appreciates her: Pee Wee Herman. Unfortunately, Bikelores is then stolen/lost and Pee Wee has to get her back.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why didn't he take Maeve's pearl too?

People have to act like idiots for this show to have conflicts.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Dolores is dead except there's still two? Dolorii out there besides Hale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's just amazing how much this show relies on pointing cameras at actors and having them sell everything as much as possible.

Imagine if they actually gave Aaron Paul, Jeffrey Wright, Thandie Newton, Tessa Thompson, and Ed Harris stuff to actually sink their teeth into. I mean, you don't have to imagine much because you can look back at season 1 and a couple episodes of season 2 to see it. But this show constantly hinders itself by holding back emotional gravitas for quick "gotcha!" moments that then have no real resonance. Like saving the part where we see Caleb once prevented a bunch of soldiers from assaulting Dolores in the past until she's dead just makes it so we would have liked to see more built on that moment between the two. But instead Dolores is dead and all it was done was to show Caleb is a good person, which we've already seen numerous times.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Krime posted:

Maybe I'm dumb or missed something but earlier in the season when Delores cuddles with Hale... The way she talked to her I thought it was Teddy's pearl in a Hale body.

Maybe I just miss Teddy.

We all miss Teddy.

That's why Bernard was gone so long. He actually should have been back in like 5 minutes, but he wanted to hang out with Teddy more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Watching that trailer made me realize that I can't remember who is dead or a robot. I also thought Dolores was done for good but here she is again.

I think Aaron Paul is the only human?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

James Marsden is cool

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Aaron Paul is the only human now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mind controlling flies, huh

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That episode was extremely boring.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Episode 2 was a lot better, and I chalk that up to Maeve and Calvin having great chemistry with each other. Hopefully they don't split them up.

I think Dolores is like, being held in a virtual place where some backups of her brain were stored or something and that's why Teddy's there.

Anyway, this show would be better if it just focused on Maeve and Caleb adventuring in new Westworld while battling William and Hale. Not looking forward to next episode with Bernard and the third Hemsworth brother bumbling around more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I really liked the poorly executed head slam into the table where his head didn't get anywhere near the table.

Also, what was up with the real senator wife lady? When Charlotte said "put her in the stable with the rest of the livestock" I figured she would just be chained up in there, mentally broken or whatever. Not whatever the gently caress she was doing with the horse.

She got possessed or changed or whatever by the robot flies.

Might also be a reason why robot lady didn't kill Caleb right away, in that Halebot wants to do the same to him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I feel like the show just screeches to a halt whenever Maeve and Caleb aren't on screen.

Right now I'm also guessing that the Bernard and Stubbs stuff is further into the future and that mystery woman is Caleb's kid all grown up.

Also that Caleb will be able to fight off the mind-controlling flies because when Maeve saved him, she did something like implant him with host material or something. So he's still mostly human, but not all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I figure that in the time skip, Caleb and Maeve were the main two thorns in the side of William and Halebot. So that's why Caleb is of interest to them.

We've seen a couple of short flashbacks to Caleb being injured and Maeve there and somehow saving his life and I figure we'll see the full details next episode.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I figure Caleb and Maeve did some damage before Caleb was injured and Maeve saved his life. Then after that they decided to stop and go lay low.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol they can't help themselves with skipping between what time parts of the show take place

Like it was obvious mystery woman was Caleb's daughter. The only thing I wasn't sure of was when Dolores' story was supposed to have been, but it's the same time as Bernard's.

But like, what happened to Caleb? Is he a host? If he's not dead, then why does he look the same?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Dolores and Teddy are in the real world because of how her roommate talks about the flies getting her and her parents. Dolores might be the Dolores that was in Hale, and Hale purged her somehow? Or there were backups or something. No explanation for Teddy, but he remembers who he used to be. He's probably a good guy here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bernard would know some he knows everything now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

frgildan posted:

Wasn't he getting the help of all the other AI's from AI heaven? They haven't said how much connection they have to the world wherever they are.

Kinda seems like he was, which would maybe explain how Teddy got back with full knowledge of everything.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I do enjoy the twist where it's a park for hosts filled with humans. Also that Robo William has developed a conscience while human William lost his.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

But Teddy exists and isn't a simulation!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I liked that episode but I dunno what the plan is going forward with wiping so many people off the board.

I really liked Bernard faking Stubbs out though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think we haven't seen what the whole deal for the end of season 2 was with William and his daughter in the future?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So that episode seemed like a bunch of nonsense

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Any part that wasn't related to Caleb and Maeve was pretty bleh.

This season would have been a lot better if it was just focused on those two vs. Halebot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There were other themed parks.

Like instead imagine it's a park where you can be in Star Wars complete with blasters and lightsabers that work. People would pay out the rear end for that.

There are a lot of people who would pay for an experience like that for the old west. Or for feudal Japan. Or to experience living in Westeros or Middle Earth or living out the roaring 20s in mob cities.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Season five is Westworld doing The Rehearsal except with Dolores as the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought the season was mostly good. The middle is the strongest part when it's the adventures of Caleb and Maeve. But that final episode is really not satisfying at all so just stains the whole season.

I wouldn't recommend watching if you're on the fence.