Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

This show is so far up it's own rear end, but I can like that because it lets me keep looking forward to robot Ed Harris saying crazy/silly poo poo.

Every time someone, especially a "crazy" person mentions The Tower, I think of Nightmare Dog.

Is that 4 note tune the Tower and the speakers most often play supposed to be the opening notes to something remotely recognizable? At first I thought it might be the Beethoven that per IMDB was used back in season 2 or the similar-ish Handel from this ep, but that could easily be my imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Cheston posted:

I just finished episode 2, and I think the main thing falling flat for me about S3+S4's depiction of the future is that climate change is mostly absent. The cybersecurity dam reservoir showed signs of receding, I guess? And the skyscrapers have trees on them?

William has a line in season 1 about how outside the park is a "world of plenty," and that worked because we never saw it, and it was unreliable narration. S1 is very careful never to tell you when or where the park is. But S3/S4 are clearly set, what, 50-100 years in the future? And nothing's wrong. There's a whole rich vein there about hosts with 1800's era morals and knowledge, discovering and reacting to the astonishing fact that their oppressors are also killing the world, and they just don't go there! As best I can tell, the creators think that technology and rich people will fix everything, except for the specific problems the story focuses on.

I could have sworn there was a throwaway line in S3 about how the supercomputer from that season or its corporation had solved the problem, probably by sorting everyone then putting the right people on it.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I think we haven't seen what the whole deal for the end of season 2 was with William and his daughter in the future?

Lister posted:

No, not really. It's a full two seasons and over four years since that episode aired and we barely have any indication what was going on there. Only an understanding of why everything in the park was ruined and where the William host came from. I hate that poo poo about mystery box plotting. Introducing a big question like that and still barely have a clue so long afterwards is a sloppy way to make a tv show.

I'm not too wrapped up in the show now, and less than I was back then, but I think an honest question deserves a year-old old take if it might de-puzzle things. I think--could be wrong, but this actually made sense to me--that that bit in the end of S2 was the fidelity test for the robot William that was introduced at the end of S3 and is now one of the most important characters in S4. That's all it was, the simulation testing the mind of the William host for fidelity.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

At the risk of stating the obvious, Dolores, mark 1 at least, was named for sadness. I don't know if the new name is for simple differentiation at this point or a deeper theme. Not sure I care.

Ford must have been a callout to Henry Ford, if only because they couldn't or wouldn't just name him Disney or something samey-sounding.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I think HBO dumped this lackluster season in this summer to quietly bury it and let the show die, probably because they feel they always need at least some first-run stuff in the Sunday slot every month.

On the one hand, when it comes to mass-market special-effects-heavy streaming shows everyone knew ahead of time this summer would belong to Stranger Things. On the other hand, when it comes to whatever "Prestige TV" actually is, or just plain quality TV people will talk about for decades, everyone knew this summer would belong to Better Call Saul. Better to get ignored than get a lot of people disappointed I guess.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Television can be terrible, but what goes on behind the camera is often worse than what's on it, and the leeway sci-fi/fantasy gives you with plot points makes it even worse.

The worst (or is it best?) example of this I know of is what the rumors say happened behind the scenes on Sliders. If true, you might not want to click.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jorge Bell posted:

The mind control flies are only there because the opening shots of the show are a fly crawling across Dolores's face. These hacks are just mining their own show for their hack beats.

Self-plagiarism is a theme on this show. It gets called out by name more than once, then the show really puts its money where its mouth is by making S3 a sort of reboot of Person of Interest, far as I can tell without a full watch of that show.

I thought the robot flies were just a little too much of a nod to Black Mirror's killer robot bees, but maybe this is right. Might be more respectable.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

From what googling the news told me, WB-Discovery is cancelling non-DC shows that are HBO Max-only, not the ones on both regular old HBO and HBO Max. Beyond that, I imagine what happens with the renewal and budget will depend less on the show itself than how much Warner's wants to maintain relations with the Nolans. From what a little wikipedia browsing about production plans said, that relationship is in decline but not yet dead.

I have a hard time dropping anyway, but here there is an undeniable possibility of an Anthony Hopkins cameo. Maybe more, but I'd doubt that. I would want to see it naturally and be surprised when it shows up rather than have to hear about it then inevitably scurry back to watch it.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I never saw the movies, but I took it the whole thing is a takeoff on Disney parks. On this show in the original actually-about-Westworld seasons there's a bit where it's family friendly-ish close into town and gets more adult as you go farther out. I'm not too up on the Westworld lore, but I think the original park is physically located in some legal grey zone like Macau.

It's not too far-fetched for future sci-fi in the first season as concerns the economic plausibility of a park like that. There's an actual absurdly priced Star Wars Experience hotel in Disney World conceived after this show dropped.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Back when I had mid-level interest in the lore, I figured there were seven or some number of original parks, and we never got an ID on at least one of them. But some people paid more attention than I did so I might have missed something.

Westworld, Shogun World, Raj, Small town America for military training, maybe one or two others I forgot, at least one mystery world. Not too relevant now, but with the simulation reboot who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ideas are real, and they control people more than the other way around. That's not a novel observation, but something else I realized from a Doctor Who audio drama is that probably the most effective vector for ideas to control people in our world is probably mass market fiction. People watching the news get it from different, biased sources, and their defenses are up when they watch/read/listen anyway. And when you talk about the big leagues like Squid Game, more people do watch a single show than a particular source of news, at least in the free world. Today one country's news or one American bubble's news doesn't line up with the others; people out in reality increasingly don't agree on what reality is. People are more up for grabs when they consume fiction, though there's probably a huge bonus effect there for kid-friendly properties.

Beyond that, the actors in TV shows are usually real and the characters have real-world attributes that can count for a lot out on this side of the screen. Look at how important the classic Trek episode Plato's Stepchildren was. Wouldn't have mattered more if NBC had aired a documentary or news footage of an interracial kiss instead.