Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Does the harness that the nss connects to tie into the tcm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 15, 2022

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Fused ignition voltage is always 12v. Voltage is correct. There are two versions of the AW4 NSS, the 98+ has extra pins apparently so it can tell if the NSS is bad or its an overdrive problem.

There are guides on cleaning the old one if you want to try that. I really think your issue is the TCM. Cursory research indicates you can drive with it unplugged but will only have two gears and need to shift manually. If you get to the point where its not shifting or the gauges are acting up, unplug the TCM. The odometer and gauges that are going crazy are all ccd bus signals.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
You might be surprised. If that TCM is shorted and pulling the 5v bus down, it very well could be tricking the alt/gas gauge and other sensors on the bus. I forget, did you check voltage on the 5v lines when the vehicle is acting up?

Edit: on second thought, how have you determined that the vehicle is overcharging? Multimeter at the battery or the gauge?

rdb fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 21, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yikes.

So its still overcharging with the TCM unplugged. That rules out the two issues being related. It may be multiple issues.

In the mean time:

https://youtu.be/fvP5btMD1aM

This shows the kinda weird issues a ccd bus fault can cause. Can you unplug the instrument cluster and see if it still overcharges?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Nothing to do with ground.

The rke module in the dome lamp was the cause. It was bridging the dome light voltage with the ccd bus and making everything go nuts.

Your airbag module is suspect as well, since the light appears to be on. Maybe do the instrument cluster last and start with the easy ones, RKE and airbag

Wait, I didn’t watch that until the end. It was a bad ground. But still, when he unplugged that rke module the problem went away.

And yeah don’t disconnect/reconnect the airbag module with the battery hooked up.

rdb fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 21, 2020

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I don’t think the fan would do it. It shouldn’t be running 30 seconds after startup.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/ar...-data-bus-r329/

This explains ccd bus and what problems it causes. Can you pull airbag codes? Obviously with the passenger bag removed it should have one.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My line of thinking: the alternator output is controlled by the PCM. The original pcm tested ok, and a second known good pcm did not fix the issue. So the PCM is doing what it thinks is correct. So why does it think it needs to overcharge? Where is it getting its information from?

The gauges freaking out are definitely a ccd bus issue. The information the gauge cluster displays come from the CCD bus.

A bad ground between the PCM and alternator could make the PCM think voltage is too low and it needs to overcharge. It looks like the PCM is bolted to metal and gets its ground that way, alt grounds to engine block, and you said the ground there was good. If you suspect a weak ground to a fuse block/dashboard,engine a jumper wire from the suspect part to a chassis bolt will clear things up. I don’t think its a ground because you have been over all of them before.

So the ECM is probably getting bad info on system voltage from somewhere else. Since the CCD bus is freaking out on occasion I think that may be the culprit. The XJ is no BMW with 100 different modules on it. Isolating them should be straightforward.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Krakkles posted:

RKE and Airbag definitely both suspect - RKE is wrapped in tape and tucked above a custom light mount, so it could easily be having some sort of issue. I'll unplug that one first, since I think it's easier to get to, and go looking for the Airbag module as well.

Dr. House would yell at me, but I wasn't thinking this could be directly causing TCM/NSS issue, but that the voltage issue is a separate one which may be either entirely unrelated, or inducing the CCD issue by modifying voltages. I do have an oscilloscope on the way, due Monday, so if nothing else works, we'll be able to get a look at that as well.

Airbag codes: Not 100% sure. The FSM says a DRB scan tool is required, the internet says something interesting:
The reason I find this interesting - I tried this once, and it killed the jeep. I had to get jumped to get it running again, and it ran like crap all the way home. Unfortunately, it was ~5 years ago, so I don't remember exactly what "ran like crap" means, nor what voltage was actually doing.
Ok, that's all a good point. I'll unplug the RKE and Airbag module (separately, of course) and see what happens. I'm with you.

Unhook the battery before you unplug/reconnect the airbag module.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 15, 2022

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Krakkles posted:

RKE module, no dice. Looking up instructions for Airbag Control Module right now, but just to make sure - the plan is, disconnect the battery, disconnect the ACM, reconnect the battery, see if the problem recurs?

Yeah, I would try that. Same with the overhead console module. If those don’t work maybe the instrument cluster itself. There seems to be a lot of reports of bad instrument cluster harness connectors.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Krakkles posted:

It looks like voltage is probably monitored via the Generator Field (+) wire (first image in this post), as that's fed directly from the alternator to the PCM. I opened up the back of the PCM connectors, back probed that wire, and proceeded to dick around with stuff for about 30 minutes while it absolutely did not overcharge. It was later in the day, so assuming I'm right about temperature playing a part, that may be why.
To try to induce the problem, I turned everything I could think of on - offroad lights, HVAC, radio all the way up - and you could watch the voltage drop ... it dropped from 13.6 to ~12.7 immediately, then trickled down from there to 12.00, where it did finally kick up and start hitting ~15.8v.

So one, I think my battery is absolutely fried, and two, I think that's still overcharging? From what I can find online, it shouldn't go above 14.7v. I'm not sure if 15.8v is normal if the PCM is panicking about a dying battery, perhaps.

Dropping in as someone with no domain specific experience, but with a good idea still of how generators of this nature work...

The "field" wires are how the PCM tells the alternator how much powaahhhh to put out. The idea is that you put a small amount of current into the field wires (current flows from "field +", through the alternator, and out into "generator driver"), and you get a lot of current out of the generator. So you wouldn't be sensing from the generator field connections, but those connections do tell you how much power the generator is being commanded to make. From your copy and paste, "This is done by cycling the ground path to control the strength of the rotor magnetic field.". This tells me that the + wire should always be connected to battery voltage, so it's not a surprise that the + is always at 15.8V. But the "generator driver" wire (not the "field +" wire) should vary between 0 and 14V -- when the PCM is asking the generator to pump out as much as it can, it will be close to 0, and when the PCM is asking the generator to do nothing, the wire should be around 14V.

Presumably the PCM is sensing battery voltage through its own + and its own ground. This all kind of points to the idea of a bad PCM ground (which would explain it getting confused and commanding the alternator to full rear end in a top hat mode, but doesn't explain why it lets the battery droop so bad to begin with). When the rest of the battery bus measures at 15.8V, I'd be interested to see what that measurement looks like as close to the PCM as possible (ideally, inside the PCM if you can) -- between V+ on the PCM, and V- on the PCM.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Hows the battery ground?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Is there any direct connection from the battery negative to the pcm? Other than body grounds.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Charging issues are a common enough issue on Mopar that there's plenty of companies that make standalone voltage regulator kits.

Here's one that turned up on Google. I can't vouch for them, but they claim to (usually) be able to keep the CEL from coming on with it.

I'd much prefer fixing the issue properly, but you've already replaced the alternator, battery, and PCM. It's gotta be something either really obscure, or something buried in the harness.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

STR posted:

Charging issues are a common enough issue on Mopar

Just as rust is measured in Sockingtons, Mopar charging issues are in Javids.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

STR posted:

Charging issues are a common enough issue on Mopar that there's plenty of companies that make standalone voltage regulator kits.

Here's one that turned up on Google. I can't vouch for them, but they claim to (usually) be able to keep the CEL from coming on with it.

I'd much prefer fixing the issue properly, but you've already replaced the alternator, battery, and PCM. It's gotta be something either really obscure, or something buried in the harness.

I think the guy with the broken ram van (Javid) uses one of those.

I don’t know if that would fix the lost shifting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Javid's was a hack job (and that's putting it nicely) by the PO though, this is a relatively straightforward kit.

There's no telling what's going on with the shifting until it stops overcharging. Maybe unplug the field connector and drive around a little bit (during the day and with all accessories off, no heat or AC)? You'll be running purely on battery power, so you don't want to do this for more than, say, 15 minutes, but if it shifts fine, then you can probably start considering that the shifting issues are caused by the overvoltage.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 25, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
https://autoprollc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/5-RemyTechnicalBulletin_July_web.pdf

This explains how it works.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

it definitely shifts fine when it first starts, and the onset of loss of shifting matches the first time in overvolts in every case I've observed.

The fact that the voltage is kicking up high enough to gently caress with the rest of the electronics is pretty telling, IMO.

Electronics can usually handle overvoltage better than undervoltage, but 17-18 volts is considerably over the ~13-15 volts they're expecting when you consider they're expected to work with as little as 10-11 volts. Still, if the rest of the electronics have survived, the TCM probably has as well (maybe with a severely shortened lifespan).

I'm no engineer, and no Mopar toucher, just a shadetree guy that happens to know a little more about electrical than most shadetree types (but not a ton more) - rdb or kastein would certainly be more knowledgeable. I'm just basing this on my own experiences with pissed off charging systems.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 25, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yours is figure 5 single field. Sorry, should have included that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 15, 2022

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
If you want, consider de pinning or cutting the driver wire at the pcm and running a jumper straight to the generator driver (K72). The other just to bat+. See if it fixes it. While its cut or de pinned you can check and see what voltage its putting on the field wire at the PCM.

Last edit: be sure to leave enough wire if you cut to splice back together.

rdb fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 25, 2020

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Could you post a picture of the battery terminals? Are there any added accessories connected to the battery +?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Krakkles posted:

Eep, scary.

I figured out how to depin it, and took it out. Running, the pin on the PCM is showing system/battery voltage. I need to concoct some jumpers before I try the rest of this, but that seemed positive.

Negative Terminal:

Battery -> Body ground (G100):

Positive Terminal:

I think the terminals are in good shape, although the wear on that line coming off the positive post (left middle of picture, has the black tube running on it, which obviously caused the wear) bugs me.

There are definitely things added to it. Headlight relays, lightbars, fog lights, 2m radio, air compressor, etc. I can try to detail more, but the short version is that everything except the headlight relays is run out of the PDC - as in, additional fused power lines. The terminals were replaced when these were added, and they're decent quality kit from a marine shop. The wing nuts and terminals are tight.

The terminals look good, nice job wiring. Did I give you the wrong pin? The one thats .6 at the alt is k72? And its showing 12v at the pcm?