Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Jay_Zombie posted:

It doesn't matter if you're a nihilist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoGAHhWl8o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

See if you can sidetrack yourself into being a Nilesist.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

drat. I missed an opportunity on that one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

My wife likes neither :confuoot:

jfc

dk2m
May 6, 2009
the virgin nhilist - “a bloo bloo bloo, life has no meaning, i’m SO SAD :(

the chad absurdist - “life is meaningless so i’m gonna chill, smoke this weed and hang out with my dudes :)

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
That's not nihilism, that's despondency. Get your poo poo together. If the concept of God is dead it's your responsibility to give your life meaning. That doesn't mean you get to sit around and throw a pity party because "life is meaningless boohoo I'm a big dumb baby." That's just a loving waste of whatever short time you have here.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

Nihilism cannot exist as a proper philosophy or mindset, as the mere concept of nothingness and no things aka void is in fact a thing which exists :beck:

Welcome to Buddhism.

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
consectetur adipiscing elit,
sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt
ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis
nostrud exercitation ullamco
laboris
nisi ut aliquip ex ea
commodo consequat.

Duis
aute irure dolor
in reprehenderit in voluptate
velit esse cillum dolore
eu fugiat
nulla pariatur.
Excepteur sint occaecat
cupidatat non proident,

sunt in culpa qui officia
deserunt
mollit
anim
id est laborum.

(In honor of OP's wonderful text formatting)

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't give a gently caress about OP's nihilism

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Smugworth posted:

Who cares about pandemics.
Who cares about the death penalty.
Human suffering is deplorable, because there's no sense suffering through a meaningless existence.

But when we die, we become mulch right?

That's it. End of story. Fin.

What happens next?
Does it matter?
What's the point?

I just want to have kids and enjoy them until my brain moulders into mush, is that ok?

Help me, GBS.
you want to process life as a story instead of a continuous reality, that's why your brain is mush OP.

human suffering has always been deplorable. but more deplorable are the belief systems where it makes "sense" so that the destruction of other people's lives can be rationalized into a story.

you're facing the fact that life has to matter for itself & suffering has to be fought instead of excused for your peace of mind. care about pandemics and the death penalty because of what they do to people here and now. a human life spent in pain is the most tragic waste in the universe, apparently what you had before 'nihilism' was shielding you from that. now the only way to feel better about suffering is to actually go help someone, even just yourself. that's probably how it should be.

in short: wake and bake bitches.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Smugworth posted:

I just want to have kids and enjoy them until my brain moulders into mush, is that ok?

Help me, GBS.

absolutely discusting. mods??

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This loving election's making me a nihilist.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
my bank account the nihilist

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Chinatown posted:

smoke some grass and eat some rear end while you still can OP !

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Thought I was too but turns out it was depression, get some drugs and a huge rear end dog.

These are both good pieces of advice, but please do not combine them.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

Who cares about pandemics.
Who cares about the death penalty.
Human suffering is deplorable, because there's no sense suffering through a meaningless existence.

But when we die, we become mulch right?

That's it. End of story. Fin.

What happens next?
Does it matter?
What's the point?

Help me, GBS.

When you don't care about things you can't change, like pandemics, but still care about things around you, like your kids, that's stoicism, not nihilism.

Mark yourself safe on Facebook.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Must be exhausting

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think I married a nihilist

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Nihilism is wrong, fate is an actual thing but it's more a natural result of the laws of physics, thermodynamics, and entropy rather than a book written by an all powerful deity. I suppose life is still technically meaningless because the only thing humans can do is live out whatever fate they were born into, no matter how horrible and with no end reward.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jeza posted:

absolutely discusting. mods??

no for gods sake don't get them interested

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

GORDON posted:

When you don't care about things you can't change, like pandemics, but still care about things around you, like your kids, that's stoicism, not nihilism.

Mark yourself safe on Facebook.

Sounds like people hate nihilists because the ones they know are insufferable, selfish assholes. I like to think of myself as a reasonably caring, empathetic guy.

Thanks pal, I knew I took a wrong turn somewhere.

Is there a flowchart or infographic guide somewhere to figure this stuff out?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just face it humanity made the wrong turn when the our earliest ancestor climbed out of the tree and picked up a stick. Or hell, when they climbed out of the ocean and grew lungs to begin with.

Look at the noble poop fly - she has no moral qualms, no worries about the future, she is a paragon of being and we should all try to be more like her.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

With few exceptions self describe nihilists have been among the most tedious people I've ever had to deal with so congrats on that I guess

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

With few exceptions self describe nihilists have been among the most tedious people I've ever had to deal with so congrats on that I guess

Hell of a way to admit you can't pass the mirror test

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hell of a way to admit you can't pass the mirror test

Sir and/or ma'am!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

GORDON posted:

The obstacle is the way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Me too, OP, me too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Big fan of the nile here

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/mLryFtV.mp4

e: Realtalk for a sec. The only reason I like nihilism is because moral absolutists are the most ridiculous hypocrites on the planet.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

Saint Drogo posted:

you want to process life as a story instead of a continuous reality, that's why your brain is mush OP.

human suffering has always been deplorable. but more deplorable are the belief systems where it makes "sense" so that the destruction of other people's lives can be rationalized into a story.

you're facing the fact that life has to matter for itself & suffering has to be fought instead of excused for your peace of mind. care about pandemics and the death penalty because of what they do to people here and now. a human life spent in pain is the most tragic waste in the universe, apparently what you had before 'nihilism' was shielding you from that. now the only way to feel better about suffering is to actually go help someone, even just yourself. that's probably how it should be.

in short: wake and bake bitches.

:emptyquote:

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Even if you decide there is no point to anything, you are still stuck here. might as well make the best of it.

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

Have you tried eating a lot of mushrooms and living in a commune in the woods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Put the peeps in the chili pot, OP