Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
First loaf of sourdough just came out of the oven and it's not the best loaf but still should be edible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Seafood City is sort of a hardcore asian market

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Seafood City is sort of a hardcore asian market

lol

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
hahahahahah

but yeah, as others have said, if you have non-white stores out by you, they have been plenty stocked when I have gone. I rotated between the local Mexican spot and a big Kan Man and they both had most of what I needed food wise.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

You know what doesn't go bad, apparently? The quinces I found at the back of my parents' cupboard that some friend of theirs gave them last autumn.

I'd never really done anything with quinces before: while raw they're rock hard and basically flavourless other than being very sour. Supposedly the solution is to boil them in sugar water for an hour, so I decided to make a crumble.

After peeling, coring and chopping the bastard things, I threw them in a pot full of water with a ton of sugar and the shrapnel from an old bag of cinnamon. It's only at this point that I thought of taking pictures for the internet so here you go:

After boiling for like two hours or something the hard yellow fruit had become mushy, orange and actually started to taste pretty good.

I also added a few chopped up pieces of crystallised ginger, because it was nearby and I have no self control.

I strained the fruit out into my pie dish so it would still have some texture to it, reduced the liquid down to some kind of syrup and poured just enough over to cover the fruit mush.

The rest of the juice has been kept for other purposes (read: I'm going to put it in every kind of alcohol I can find)

I made a basic crumble topping from a very old cookbook I had lying around and stuck that in the oven for 40 minutes

It came out pretty well.

Taste test: as you might have guessed, it's very sour. Luckily there was a carton of premade custard hanging around.

That worked. Actually pretty drat good.
8/10, would spend a day stewing fruit again.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
that looks tasty. Quince paste is another good thing, great to have with cheese and a good jam substitute too.

I've been making a simplfied variant of this Rick Stein curry a bit, I think it's going into regular apocalypse rotation now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potato_and_pea_curry_19537

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Membrillo is really good with cheese but it needs to be something contrasting, or you need something else in there like an onion jam or even just quick pickled red onions, that would be nice.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Chef John from foodwishes posted a simplified Red Beans and Rice. It's one dish in the oven, great for less experienced cooks.

"Due to certain worldwide events, I've been getting lots of requests for easy, hearty recipes that can be made using basic dry and canned goods. This incredibly delicious Spanish-style baked rice and beans is all that and more. You'll also see a fantastic, foolproof way of making perfect rice, every time. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro, if you like."

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279361/the-best-baked-rice-and-beans/

A couple of my neighbors are in their late fifties (wife just corrected me seventies) and don't have a car so I drove to get them some stuff from trader Joes, which is on the other side of the next city. They gave me a $20 but I got em about forty dollars worth, I don't think they're well off.

I kept thinking about that Death Stranding game that came out a couple of months ago. I get a text message on my wristwatch that someone all bunkered up needs supplies, head out, bring it back, wipe it down with alcohol, and enjoy the friendly waves from the window. Then hustled by the wife into my decontamination shower but no after shower beer. :(

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 25, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay got a friend who was on her anniversary in Italy and got stuck due to the lockdown.

I made a video about how to make shakshuka. She wants to make it, but doesn’t have harissa or Gochujang. No cumin or paprika either, she says Italians apparently don’t believe in spices. I suggested she try an American or Middle eastern store and she says they’re all closed.

She has red pepper flakes. What else would go with red pepper flakes to make a ramshackle shakshuka? Olive oil, black pepper, extra garlic? Soy sauce? An anchovy fillet?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Steve Yun posted:

Okay got a friend who was on her anniversary in Italy and got stuck due to the lockdown.

I made a video about how to make shakshuka. She wants to make it, but doesn’t have harissa or Gochujang. No cumin or paprika either, she says Italians apparently don’t believe in spices. I suggested she try an American or Middle eastern store and she says they’re all closed.

She has red pepper flakes. What else would go with red pepper flakes to make a ramshackle shakshuka? Olive oil, black pepper, extra garlic? Soy sauce? An anchovy fillet?

Honestly sounds to me like she should just forget about it in those conditions

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Crushed pepper, olive oil, anchovy, basil, parm is indeed the common approach to Italian shakshuka, popularly called uova in Purgatorio/eggs in Purgatory. It's a thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Awesome thanks SubG

It’s cool that I was almost there off the top of my head, just missing the basil and parm

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SubG posted:

Crushed pepper, olive oil, anchovy, basil, parm is indeed the common approach to Italian shakshuka, popularly called uova in Purgatorio/eggs in Purgatory. It's a thing.

I did something sort of like this for the shakshuka cook-or-die, I also used oregano and fennel seeds. I didn't use anchovy but that would've been a good innovation.

I actually made a sort of shakshuka tonight for dinner, and I used some diced chorizo in addition to the usual stuff and let me tell you: that poo poo worked.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you live in a big city and want to go to a grocery where EVERYBODY wears masks, go to a Korean grocery. gently caress yeah.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
OH poo poo that eggplant I bought and forgot about from a week and a half ago is STILL GOOD. Yay! Babaganoush and hummus for dinner.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Steve Yun posted:

bagna cauda time :getin:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Liquid Communism posted:

Grab a few lbs of flour and a bag of yeast and use the time to perfect your daily bread recipe. For bonus points, make your own butter.

Love it. If you can find flour. My local grocery stores have been cleared out but they should restock soon. Fortunately, we've always bought in 25lb bags and butter in 10 lb lots so that's helpful Yay for Costco before they became a scene from Day of the Dead.

My daughter and I've been baking again. I just use a standard recipe (pick any) that we play with. My recipe uses half milk, half water, and more butter than normal. Add sugar, you get doughnuts if you shallow fry after the second rise.. Add cheese, you get savory rolls. Add both, you get a fast rising dough that's both savory and sweet and everyone loves.

Never be afraid you'll ruin it. Just adjust your ratios and make notes if it works or doesn't. I find that almost everything works. Make some weird stuff. It's fun.

Add a bunch of eggs to a one loaf recipe (like 4 yolks plus a whole egg). Give it a first rise. Roll it out and add lot of butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Roll it up, cut it stick it in a pan and put it in the fridge before you go to bed. In the morning, put it in the oven, put a pan of boiling water underneath and let it get a second rise for 20 min or so. Take the pan of water out. Fire the oven to 325f for about 20-30 min from when you've turned the oven on. Keep an eye on it. You won't even want frosting. All-in, it's about 25 minutes of work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bon Apetit shut down their office so all the hosts are recording from home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yssNu8Eynb8

Their video editors are doing a great job

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Molly likes some bullshit as usual. though it looks tasty. Glad so many others do pour overs like the gods intended.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Coffee sodas and coffee shrubs are legit.

Sohla once again proves herself the coolest person on staff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
gently caress I just made some amazing ad hoc chicken

Dropped off most of it and a stuffing waffle, modernist Mac, brussel sprouts and a color changing French 75 for a friend’s birthday

Kept one drumstick for me, so good

Cooking for friends on Facebook live is fun, you guys are all great cooks, entertain your friends

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Vegan quaran-thali! Almost all from canned or dried food. ok the naan isn't actually vegan but it would have been real easy to do

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Got a recipe for the spinach or mustard green thing?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Mu Zeta posted:

Got a recipe for the spinach or mustard green thing?

Buy a jar of "Karela Mix Pickle" from your local halal grocer!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
This Cavolo Nero, Salami & Borlotti Bean dish was great and really works for quarrantine situation, especially if you can grow the kale/whatever yourself.

Don't do like I did and overcook the beans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Looks great!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just want to point out the miracle that is the Apple. Looked in the back of my fridge and found an apple that’s been sitting there for 4-6 months, who knows how long. Still good!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah I stocked up on some apples. They last a real long time and if they're starting to lose their crisp, applesauce time! I am trying like hell to eat what i have in the house already because my wife works in an east coast ER. I'd feel like a real peice of poo poo if i came down with the virus and I went to the store a couple days prior for some basil to make pesto or whatever. I grew up for a period working on an apple orchard where my dad lived after my parents divorced. I had my fill of apples for a while there. Glad I can circle back around to craving them

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only learned about the humidity function in fridges yesterday. You're supposed to put fruits like apples and other stuff that rots easily in low humidity. Other vegetables like carrots go into high humidity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone got a good recipe for sourdough with proper preparation for starter? The recipe I'm using has too much hydration and mine came out less than ideal.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for sourdough with proper preparation for starter? The recipe I'm using has too much hydration and mine came out less than ideal.

Here's the recipe i make the most, which i happen to have recently typed up in a very :effort: manner for another friend and in the spirit of :effort: i will copy and paste it here

All in a big bowl
150 g starter +/- 50 - amount is pretty flexible
700 g warm water
750-800 g white AP flour
200-250 g whole wheat flour (make the total amt 1 kg flour)
Mix up into a shaggy mess with hands, let sit 15 min
20 g sea salt
Another 50 g water to help dissolve the salt
Mix up / pinch / fold more with your hands

Then fold it like an envelope 1 2 3 4 and flip over every 15-30 minutes, something like 4-8 times, just do this all in the evening while chillin watching the flix or whatev. Cover with wet cloth or tie whole bowl into a plastic bag in between

Let rise overnight with the wet towel or bag

Next morning before work divide the dough in twæn, shape two round loaves
Put in proofing containers, which at simplest can be cuts of densely woven cloth in a bowl covered with lots of flour. Cover these as well and let rise in fridge for 8-12 hours. Or at room temp for 3ish hrs but i recommend the fridge. Using the fridge here makes it easier to hit the ideal window for baking. If you do room temp the window is narrower and harder to catch.

Then after work bake at 475 F for 20 min in steam, 15 min without
"With steam" can mean with a metal bowl/pot of water in the oven. It can also mean covered if you have the right kind of vessel, like two cast iron pans in a clamshell formation, or a duck oven

If you have a coverable vessel the idea is you preheat it with the oven and uncover the bread after 20 min, finish for the last 12-15 min uncovered

The bread is really done when it's starting to blacken a little. Knock on it and if it sounds holler it's done inside

If no vessel use a baking stone if you have one. If no baking stone use a cookie sheet. I never use loaf pans

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 4, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ughhhh posted:

i like chef john's, its easy for a single boule and comes out great. i think it can be hydrated more than he does, esp. if you are using any whole wheat: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2...d=st_trending_s

e: are you using a dutch oven?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Either the search function is broken or no one has bothered to mention congee. Nothing is simpler to make.

Get a cup of rice and 2 litres of what ever stock you have. Chop up a bit of ginger. Put that in a slow cooker on low and leave overnight. You now have delicious congee.

Want to make it fancy? Put some chicken thighs in there bone and all.

Don't eat meat but still feel fancy? Add some corn to it about half an hour before you want to eat it. Go hog wild and garnish it with some spring onion and a drizzle of soy sauce.

Don't have corn or chicken? Who cares just chuck it in it will probably be good. I'm not your mother telling you what you can and can't do.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Inceltown posted:

Either the search function is broken or no one has bothered to mention congee. Nothing is simpler to make.

Get a cup of rice and 2 litres of what ever stock you have. Chop up a bit of ginger. Put that in a slow cooker on low and leave overnight. You now have delicious congee.

Want to make it fancy? Put some chicken thighs in there bone and all.

Don't eat meat but still feel fancy? Add some corn to it about half an hour before you want to eat it. Go hog wild and garnish it with some spring onion and a drizzle of soy sauce.

Don't have corn or chicken? Who cares just chuck it in it will probably be good. I'm not your mother telling you what you can and can't do.

We jook! A great suggestion I forgot to mention it here. It's great (especially when sick) I first learned about it here a few years ago when the "help I'm poor and want to make good food" thread got weird:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692030&userid=38969

We do the soft boiled egg, green onion, and crispy flour - fried shallots ... but you can throw whatever you want in it. And on it! Soy sauce is fine but I've used hot sauce and worchestershire too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I put some jalapeño in the one I started last night because I had some and nothing else to use it in. Not going to lie, I will do that again for sure.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Hey can I get some help on something? I bought some chicken thighs and I was planning to make something in the crockpot, but I want to ensure I'm going to do it right. My recipe was going to be something like:

-chicken thighs
-potatoes
-onions
-carrots
-chicken stock
-a little water?

Should I just dump these things in the crockpot and let it go for 6 hours on low? Should I use something other than chicken stock? The liquid level should be just high enough to cover the solids, right? Because they're thighs, I don't have to worry as much about the chicken drying out or getting overcooked? I have an ok selection of herbs and such what might be good to add, and should it be added near the end?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Chakan posted:

Hey can I get some help on something? I bought some chicken thighs and I was planning to make something in the crockpot, but I want to ensure I'm going to do it right. My recipe was going to be something like:

-chicken thighs
-potatoes
-onions
-carrots
-chicken stock
-a little water?

Should I just dump these things in the crockpot and let it go for 6 hours on low? Should I use something other than chicken stock? The liquid level should be just high enough to cover the solids, right? Because they're thighs, I don't have to worry as much about the chicken drying out or getting overcooked? I have an ok selection of herbs and such what might be good to add, and should it be added near the end?

Searing or roasting the ingredients before souping will give better flavor, but it would be fine if you don't want to. I would put some rosemary and thyme, maybe bay leaf in at the beginning of cooking, and salt and pepper and splash of vinegar at the end to taste. Also you should add celery to the vegetables if you have it.

I've been making variations on this recipe a lot lately, recommend as a corona recipe because you could make it with almost no fresh ingredients if you needed to.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thai_fish_curry_48352/amp

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chakan posted:

-chicken thighs
-potatoes
-onions
-carrots
-chicken stock
-a little water?

*Carl weathers on arrested development voice*

Baby, you got a stew goin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I hope people are saving the peels and scraps of veggies gen they cook. You can make great stock with all the carro/potato peels and ends of garlic and other veggies. Just make sure you don't put citrus or seeds(such as seeds from peppers). Less than ideal to put it in the freezer but it's fine to do so.

I made 3 quarts of veggie stock that I am now using for everything from 1 week of veggie scraps.