Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Make sure you have olive oil for hummus making and general bean dressing! Also, lots of spices. I'll be stocking up on masalas and chile powder in a minute.

CHEESE. GET CHEESE.

My bean supply is mostly lentils and chickpeas, since that's what we mostly eat. Otherwise (and in smaller quantities as I'm in an apartment with no chest freezer or pantry), same. But my Costco does delivery on groceries, so I can always get an emergency ten pack of salmon fillets.

Anyhoo, Channa Masala. https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-chana-masala/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We're going to make Channa Masala tomorrow, and IP Biryani Saturday (I got a pound of goat from the local college ag store!). Stocked up on eggs and milk. I will brave TJ's on Monday for cheeses and snacks.

Going to Dicks Sporting Goods for fishing gear, the local river and canals are heating up, and we're all about to get a lot less busy. Fiancè needs a new light tackle rod and I wanna stock up on trout magnets and powebait. Fish on!

Btw, anyone who has access to a fishable clean body of water should stock up on basic fishing gear (and licences), if only for entertainment, but bonus delicious fresh fish.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gay picnic defence posted:

What's a good chili recipe? I've got pinto and kidney beans, and dried amarillo, guajillo, mulato, habanero, panca and arbol chilies (I just grabbed what I could see, I have no idea about central american/Mexican cooking other than it tastes good).

I can get other poo poo too, the local Indian grocer has heaps of variety and white people don't tend to go there so it still has plenty of stock.

You wanted 72 pages of chili drama, right? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852

quote:

I started with a 3lb eye of round roast that I cubed, salted, and dusted with paprika so the fat could do it's thing with the paprika and then I lamely grilled the cubes on my grill pan just enough to get a nice char on them and tossed these in the crock.

I then added.......

1 can chipotles in adobo that got stick blended so there's no whole chipotle surprise later on

1 giant can of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes, I think 500 or 800 grams (I don't speak metric well)

Three cloves of garlic, smashed

A diced jalapeno

A diced medium yellow onion

A diced ancient pepper, which are these giant gnarly looking peppers that sell at the local grocer, but aren't hot at all, they're like red bell peppers from hell

Red pepper flakes to my satisfaction

Fresh cumin to my satisfaction (note: do not take a giant sniff out of your fresh ground cumin because you're excited about your newly repurposed toy, you will sneeze a lot and your mouth tastes like you've been put in a headlock by a Chicago cab driver)

A dash of liquid smoke,

A pinch on cinnamon

1 can of generic store brand chili beans because I don't really care about beans

Enough PBR that I didn't think the liquid content was out of control, around half a can. I didn't have any fancy beer on hand, but I drink it and I think it works fine in chili too. I always add it last so that I don't add too much.

I put that on low for 8 hours while I slept and then tossed in a good shake of masa flour this morning to get things nice and smooth. I stirred everyting up and unplugged the pot and lifted out the crock, went and got ready and then popped that bad boy in the fridge after it had cooled on the counter. All I need to do when I get home is throw the crock back in the pot on high to reheat and make jalapeno cheddar corn bread and it's going to be glorious dinner time.

I use beef heart when I make chili.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
When cooking onions, give yourself plenty of time and medium-low heat to make them golden delicious, it's the best gift you can give a dish.

And fish sauce.

mediaphage posted:

QuaranBEAN is p good but i've been enjoying the idea of corona casseroles, using whatever's in the house

Give it a week, maybe we can do a CookOr Die LITENIN' ROUND. I do love a "what do I have in the freezer" tray bake.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 13, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gay picnic defence posted:

Thanks for that, after doing a bit of reading it sounds like the blend of chilies you use to make the powder is quite important, any recommendations there?

Use what you got, experiment. The only real thing to take away from that thread is a)don't use ground beef unless you have to, and b) chili is tasty

Oh
c) goons are terrible

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

slothrop posted:

my baked bean recipe calls for me to discard the fat/skin from my smoked ham hock. I used to just give it to the dogs as a treat, but I don't have dogs any more :(

What can I do with the skin off a ham hock?

That's the most crushing part when your dog dies, aagh. When my childhood dog passed (we had her from when I was 5 till age 17), the things I remember the most was the last time I saw her at the vet, when my parents told us that they had to put her down, and the first time I dropped food and she wasn't there to get it off the floor.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
OH poo poo that eggplant I bought and forgot about from a week and a half ago is STILL GOOD. Yay! Babaganoush and hummus for dinner.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made some buffalo chickpeas! The sauce was just butter, sambal olek, garlic powder, salt, vinegar, and a pinch of brown sugar. I simmered that up, put a little corn starch slurry in to keep it from separating too bad, then tossed the cooked chickpeas in to coat and warm up. Served over spinach with blue cheese. Absolutely delicious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I used sambal because I have two big jars of it that need using. My SIL ate almost an entire jar of it one time she was over for a few days, so I bought a big jar to replace it. Then SHE brought a big jar to replace what she had used.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Beanutiful

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Meat is gone, only beans remain.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

stinkypete posted:

I made a really bad white trash recipe tonight.

1 hamburger patty chopped up (cooked up last night)
1 can of Ranch style beans drained
1/4 cup pickled Jalapeno peppers (all I had left in the fridge)
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Microwaved it until warm then added 2 types of hot sauce. It was not great but not bad.

Covid cooking is not my best cooking. I just do not want to waste food.

What is your shameful Covid Meal?

Pop that all in a hollowed out pepper and stick it in the oven, then all of a sudden it's fancy!

I put coriander chutney in hummus for breakfast and ate it with wasa.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Queen Victorian posted:

And a question: what is everybody growing in their quarantine victory gardens?
Pak Choi, spinach and wildflowers in two fabric pots that also had some sneaky Kentucky wonder beans deciding to sprout today, bush peas and Vine peas, yellow crookneck squash, sweet peppers, the new indeterminate Rutgers cherry tomato 'Scarlet Sunrise', determinant Rutgers Ramapo tomato, bitter gourd, sunflowers, marigolds, parsley. Basil and sunflowers later when the spinach dies. Mini japanese eggplant if I can find the space.

My houseplant garden has spider plants, snake plants, a majesty palm that hates me, a corn plant, two trays of succulents, and a wimpy poinsettia that I've kept alive since Xmas that I want to repot and see if I can't rebloom.

The squash and sweet peppers live with the houseplants right now because we're having a cold snap this year. The tomatoes will live inside an extra week as well, picking them up from Rutgers on Monday.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 8, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

alnilam posted:

Sensitive subject :( we are (still? i think?) moving across country this summer for a job, so this spring we grassed over our big veggie garden and adopted away our chickens, then this poo poo happened

Awwww I'm so sorry. That has to be so hard. I'm working with a temporary apartment situation, but I'm still going to miss this lovely clay soil plot when I go.

Best of wishes to your chickens.

Here's the space I'm working with

I am not allowed to remove that bush :(

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 9, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made Adulting Kraft. It's Kraft Mac and cheese with a ton of frozen and fresh veggies. Throw in your frozen veggies mix in the last two minutes of boiling the pasta, drain and add butter and cheese powder, add whatever extra cheese you have that needs using (Jarlsberg heels in my case), stir to incorporate, then fill the pot with fresh spinach. Turn off heat, cover pot, let spinach wilt. Serve with sesame oil and Sriracha.

I could eat the whole pot (I only had half, the other half is for tomorrow) It's so nostalgic, but also legitimately delicious and you get some veggies. Pair it with a protein and you have a drat fine dinner.

Unfortunately, my fiance HATES Kraft mac and cheese. I don't know why, the dude is a human insinkerator. I mean, yay more for me, but I can't make it for our dinners. And lunch is almost always leftovers. So it's a rare occurrence when I can cook something like this for myself.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The best vegitarian replacement for meat on the grill is PANEER. It's cheese you can grill. Paint on a savory sauce and some chutney, and you're golden (brown delicious).

Grilled veg is awesome. We just slice an eggplant lengthwise, let it sit with some salt on it to marinate for ten minutes, then grill till mushy and eat whole with salt and pepper. Skin it and blend it with tahini and olive oil, then you have delicious baba ganoush. We also grill summer squash and zucchini/young married, sweet peppers, and tomatoes.

The best replacement for buffalo wings is cauliflower. Breaded and fried and covered in buffalo sauce (or sauce of your choice).

My fiance and I eat meatless most days, even though we are dedicated meat eaters. We just tend to buy less, better quality meat, and use it sparingly, or as a treat. We grilled pork chops outside with the eggplant, it was delicious.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 31, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

How Wonderful! posted:

Ooh yeah, gobi 65 is also fantastic.

Shh, don't overwhelm them with tasty. It might scare them off.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pray tell, what complications were there cooking the ham in a can?

I personally have never tried cooking with it, might pick up a can to slice and fry with eggs while camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made an excellent riff on a Joe Grey stew in the instant pot with freezer and pantry staples.

4 frozen sausages/bratwurst
2oz frozen bacon chopped into small lardons
2 medium onions
1lb tomatoes or 16oz canned
4 cloves rough chopped garlic
1lb sweet potato diced
3 apples peeled
Chicken broth or 3 chicken stock cubes or equivalent
Salt, pepper, lemon juice
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon thai red chili paste, 1 splash heavy cream. 1 cup spinach.

Defrost sausages. Fry bacon on medium-low, then add sausages to brown. Do not cook sausages through, just get a little browning on them. Remove all meat from pot, reserve drippings in pot.
Brown onions low and slow in drippings with a heavy pinch of salt. Once browned, add tomatoes, apples, garlic, and sweet potato, stock cubes, 2 cups water. If in IP, cook 10min high pressure 10min natural release. If stovetop, simmer until sweet potatoes are cooked (probably 30-60 minutes depending on fineness of dice).
Cut sausages into quarters. Add back meat and thai red chili paste, simmer uncovered until sausages are cooked through. Stir in a dollop of cream and spinach. Salt and pepper and lemon to taste. Serves 4, approx 650 calories per serving.

Edit: just reheated a serving for lunch, it got better in the fridge mmmmmm

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 10, 2020