Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Liquid Communism posted:

Grab a few lbs of flour and a bag of yeast and use the time to perfect your daily bread recipe. For bonus points, make your own butter.

Love it. If you can find flour. My local grocery stores have been cleared out but they should restock soon. Fortunately, we've always bought in 25lb bags and butter in 10 lb lots so that's helpful Yay for Costco before they became a scene from Day of the Dead.

My daughter and I've been baking again. I just use a standard recipe (pick any) that we play with. My recipe uses half milk, half water, and more butter than normal. Add sugar, you get doughnuts if you shallow fry after the second rise.. Add cheese, you get savory rolls. Add both, you get a fast rising dough that's both savory and sweet and everyone loves.

Never be afraid you'll ruin it. Just adjust your ratios and make notes if it works or doesn't. I find that almost everything works. Make some weird stuff. It's fun.

Add a bunch of eggs to a one loaf recipe (like 4 yolks plus a whole egg). Give it a first rise. Roll it out and add lot of butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Roll it up, cut it stick it in a pan and put it in the fridge before you go to bed. In the morning, put it in the oven, put a pan of boiling water underneath and let it get a second rise for 20 min or so. Take the pan of water out. Fire the oven to 325f for about 20-30 min from when you've turned the oven on. Keep an eye on it. You won't even want frosting. All-in, it's about 25 minutes of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU