Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

You know what doesn't go bad, apparently? The quinces I found at the back of my parents' cupboard that some friend of theirs gave them last autumn.

I'd never really done anything with quinces before: while raw they're rock hard and basically flavourless other than being very sour. Supposedly the solution is to boil them in sugar water for an hour, so I decided to make a crumble.

After peeling, coring and chopping the bastard things, I threw them in a pot full of water with a ton of sugar and the shrapnel from an old bag of cinnamon. It's only at this point that I thought of taking pictures for the internet so here you go:

After boiling for like two hours or something the hard yellow fruit had become mushy, orange and actually started to taste pretty good.

I also added a few chopped up pieces of crystallised ginger, because it was nearby and I have no self control.

I strained the fruit out into my pie dish so it would still have some texture to it, reduced the liquid down to some kind of syrup and poured just enough over to cover the fruit mush.

The rest of the juice has been kept for other purposes (read: I'm going to put it in every kind of alcohol I can find)

I made a basic crumble topping from a very old cookbook I had lying around and stuck that in the oven for 40 minutes

It came out pretty well.

Taste test: as you might have guessed, it's very sour. Luckily there was a carton of premade custard hanging around.

That worked. Actually pretty drat good.
8/10, would spend a day stewing fruit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU