Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Either the search function is broken or no one has bothered to mention congee. Nothing is simpler to make.

Get a cup of rice and 2 litres of what ever stock you have. Chop up a bit of ginger. Put that in a slow cooker on low and leave overnight. You now have delicious congee.

Want to make it fancy? Put some chicken thighs in there bone and all.

Don't eat meat but still feel fancy? Add some corn to it about half an hour before you want to eat it. Go hog wild and garnish it with some spring onion and a drizzle of soy sauce.

Don't have corn or chicken? Who cares just chuck it in it will probably be good. I'm not your mother telling you what you can and can't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I put some jalapeņo in the one I started last night because I had some and nothing else to use it in. Not going to lie, I will do that again for sure.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

These eggs were slightly on the runny side. Made a bunch to make ramen eggs though so there are now a pile curing in soy sauce brine in the fridge.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Suspect Bucket posted:

I used sambal because I have two big jars of it that need using. My SIL ate almost an entire jar of it one time she was over for a few days, so I bought a big jar to replace it. Then SHE brought a big jar to replace what she had used.

This sounds like the best kind of mix up you could have.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bean meal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYZnPk_Lwg

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Currently vibing on my two ingredient soup.

Kimchi + tinned tuna with as much water as you want to make it a soup and cook till it's hot. Feeling like a bit more protein then drop an egg in there to poach.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BBQ Dave posted:

Hi everybody hope you and yours are well! Without further ado

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

:zoid: a feast fit for a king :zoid:

This recipe is from my wife's NYT cooking app her friend bought her. She only cooks the well-reviewed ones and it's still hit and miss, but this one is a hit!

Knob of butter
1.5 cup diced carrots
1.5 cup shallots (onion oughta work)
8 oz sliced mushrooms (we used crimini)
5 thyme sprigs
3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup red wine
2 tsp tomato paste (wife used 2 tbsp came out great)
2 16 oz cans of cannellini beans
2 cup low sodium veg broth (ours was homemade from scraps, see post above!)
1 tbsp cognac or brandy
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (from our new but humble garden)
1 tsp balsamic

Melt butter, cook onion and carrot with S&P cook until begin to soften 5 min
Add mushrooms 7min
Add thyme sprigs and garlic 30 sec
Add wine and tomato paste until wine is mostly cooked down
Add beans, broth, cognac, salt and pepper.
simmer 25 min
remove from heat, remove sprigs, stir in balsamic, garnish with parsley!

I believe canned mushrooms and great northern beans would be fine substitutes.
edit: Now that I think about it I bay leaf this recipe would benefit from a bay leaf.

bean Bean BeaN BEAN

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm posting this here because I hate you specifically. Do not think I'm talking about someone else it is being put here because you are the worst poster, your fears and doubts are right.

https://twitter.com/EscoBlades/status/1250885658689839104

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Made this for breakfast this morning but was too hungry to think of taking a pic. A super simple tomato fried egg thing that takes almost no time and allows you to use up some of the tomatoes you may have bought extra off because you're worried about hits to the supply chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJNNq_-vKEE

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

That's the most Chinese food ever and it's strange that it's not in more Chinese restaurants. I guess it's considered more home cooking.

I'm upset that it's not more common, I'd never even heard of it before that video came up on YT, but given how simple it is that is not going to stop me from making it my breakfast every day from now until roni death. It's so tasty.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BBQ Dave posted:

Really tasty! I made garlic naan in the cast iron using the recipe from food wishes, we snacked about a third of it waiting for the stew to finish.

That naan looks good. Do you live near me and can you throw one up 10 stories because drat son.

I mean it all looks good but I really want a naan right now and have no flour free to use for it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pro roni recipe. Biriani. Sweat some aromatics garlic, onion, goon scrotum. What ever you have it works. Now that poo poo has had a chance to breathe put in your spices. Cumin, turmeric, cardamom, coriander. If you have whole poo poo you know how to deal with it, if you don't just put in a ratio of 1:1:.02:2 as listed above. I don't know how big your batch is so actual measurements are hard. Don't go crazy but don't skimp out either.

After the spices have had a chance add what ever protein you fancy, just make sure it's small. Diced small, minced, your penis. Mince is a really good choice here. If you don't have mince or don't like minced things then just make it equivalent.

Mostly cook your protein.

Add a bunch of rice and enough stock / water to cook that rice + maybe a bit more.

Let it sit like you're just cooking that rice.

Congratulations you have biriani / pilaf / tasty loving rice. Not sure what they call it where you're from but that's it.

This is obviously not a real recipe and what you can get and what you like is very much up to you. At the same time this is an easy dish to make and you will enjoy it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Made some gnocchi today. Simply parmesan / butter sauce. My only regret is not making more.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

blk posted:

I have a bunch of dry pasta. I usually prefer pesto to red sauce and am tired of them both. Any other saucing suggestions? Cooking with a pescatarian so ragus might be off the table, and I don't do milk/cream (cheez is OK).

Planning to try romesco but would like for other unconventional ideas.

Cacio e Pepe

I'm a huge fan of puttanesca too but that is red sauce.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SubG posted:

Cacio e pepe is cool, but does anyone know why it's suddenly having a moment? Not trying to question it as a choice or anything, just honestly curious why it's suddenly something everyone's making.

No idea why it's all the rage but I avoided saying al burro because my post just before that already used it as an idea.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/mathaiaus/status/1258255484332601344

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BBQ Dave posted:

I'd like to know what more experienced dry bean cooks think about soaking vs. slow/longer cooking. I find soaking beans for 8 hours in several changes of salty water (2-3) makes the beans cook faster and me less gassy.

The basicness of the water is something I haven't heard before, If anyone has nutritional insights that would be awesome too!

As someone who has been doing beans for years they go dry into the slow cooker and come out ~8 hours later. Time is flexible depending on how hungry / forgetful you are. Beans in anything other than pressure cooker / slow cooker is a chumps game.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chinese tomato eggs for breakfast with some home grown chia microgreens. First foray into growing microgreens so just used seeds we already had and it was so stupidly easy that it should be illegal to not grow your own.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

angerbeet posted:

Latex Fruit Syndrome.

This is my Grindr username. Do not steal.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Made these the other day. They really are super easy to make.

Not my pic, mine didn't look that pretty. I don't look that pretty either so I'm OK with that. Click image for recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Anne Whateley posted:

Do not eat house centipedes

gently caress you, you're not even my real dad. I'll do what I want.